• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where do you think Kirby will land on the tier list now?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Kirby should be around mid-tier. He has workable matchups against some of the high tiers that usually dominate the cast (eg ZSS and Sheik). I used Rosa for most of my bracket this weekend, but I beat Bengal and False using Kirby (ZSS and Marth, respectively).
You beat False's Marth using Kirby? Holy crap, I want to see that. I think Kirby really suffers against sword users, and I would have expected you to go Rosalina for that one... was it recorded, by any chance?

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I think Kirby is definitely top 20. I think the argument should be whether or not he is top 15. Kirby has a lot of great things that the characters that place around him don't. With a solid kill throw, Kirby would easily become top 15. Custom Kirby should definitely be top 15 due to it vastly improving his off stage game as well has his kill power. I've stated this in another thread, but I think the reason we rate Kirby so low is simply because of his lack of representation. I have no doubt that Kirby is one of the most underrated characters. MikeKirby is the only player that I know of that can consistently place high at a tourney with Kirby. If we had more players similar to MikeKirby, I think our view of him would change.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Because I can!
Because it was relevant to the situation!
Because it prevents chance confusion!
Why do you care? What's the point in asking?
All I was doing was showing the tier list :p

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Reason why I replied to it. I was talking about Kirby being moved down even when he gots buffs. :)
Kirby has gotten some great buffs, but he needs a little more. I'd make his U-Throw kill at 150%, considering that it's an explosive pile driver! :p

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
Kirby has gotten some great buffs, but he needs a little more. I'd make his U-Throw kill at 150%, considering that it's an explosive pile driver! :p
I agree but I say 120- 130% due to Kirby's weight he would have lost a stock by then normally. Asking for E3 Up throw Killing at like 90% is to much tho. But he does have trouble closing out stocks...
Faster Air speed and Ground speed will help alot.
Less landing lag on Fair and Bair, for closing out stocks, and it will aid is poor frontal approach. Plus faster start up on Nair, so it is a decent OOS. Too much? I say no, due to his 1 near useless special and an impracticle Down B in most situations. It balances out.

Oh well It is probably NEVER gonna happen....

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I agree but I say 120- 130% due to Kirby's weight he would have lost a stock by then normally. Asking for E3 Up throw Killing at like 90% is to much tho. But he does have trouble closing out stocks...
Faster Air speed and Ground speed will help alot.
Less landing lag on Fair and Bair, for closing out stocks, and it will aid is poor frontal approach. Plus faster start up on Nair, so it is a decent OOS. Too much? I say no, due to his 1 near useless special and an impracticle Down B in most situations. It balances out.

Oh well It is probably NEVER gonna happen....
I wish it could happen. Then again, Sakurai and the balance team only listened to complaints regarding Diddy, but nothing regarding anyone else. Rosalina is a character that still needs to be nerfed, yet she isn't. :/

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
I wish it could happen. Then again, Sakurai and the balance team only listened to complaints regarding Diddy, but nothing regarding anyone else. Rosalina is a character that still needs to be nerfed, yet she isn't. :/
Shiek could be nerfed, and Rosaluma is just a pain to deal with, and just kills to early with little risk. :ohwell:

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I do think Kirby doesn't get enough credit. Results aren't here yet but you have to admit that's hard when people seem to look down on the character. I was watching a match on stream once (dun remember wich) of a tourney and after the Kirby player loses (he wasnt that great) the commentarist goes "What does he have to do to adapt? choose a better character I'd say) So if we have people just putting down the character all over the place, less players will think of playing him, less chances we have of getting good kirby mains to step up to the challenge.

This happens with tons of other characters too, they are being underrated or outright disrespected left and right and people lose hope. It sucks because I believe Kirby can do great things.

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
I do think Kirby doesn't get enough credit. Results aren't here yet but you have to admit that's hard when people seem to look down on the character. I was watching a match on stream once (dun remember wich) of a tourney and after the Kirby player loses (he wasnt that great) the commentarist goes "What does he have to do to adapt? choose a better character I'd say) So if we have people just putting down the character all over the place, less players will think of playing him, less chances we have of getting good kirby mains to step up to the challenge.

This happens with tons of other characters too, they are being underrated or outright disrespected left and right and people lose hope. It sucks because I believe Kirby can do great things.

YOU HIT IT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! That is exactly what happens.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
You beat False's Marth using Kirby? Holy crap, I want to see that. I think Kirby really suffers against sword users, and I would have expected you to go Rosalina for that one... was it recorded, by any chance?
I don't think it was recorded, unfortunately.

Marth has to use a lot of full-hops to fight Kirby. If he uses short-hop aerials, it's too easy for Kirby to block and parry because of his high-speed tilts and such. Kirby is fast enough to sort of weave in and out if you know how to perfect pivot.

Kirby can Fthrow->Uair Marth for a combo, depending on the %. Beware of Marth's UpB which gets him out of a lot of combos.You can Airdodge immediately after the Fthrow if you think he'll UpB to avoid it, and then he'll fall back into a move or combo out of Fthrow of your choosing.

False started to figure out the matchup by the end of game 2, and he was playing a bit more defensively with jabs. If Marth uses jabs to keep Kirby out and then plays reactively, it becomes a lot harder to do anything.

Also, my message to the Kirby boards: man up. Here's an old saying that used to be thrown around smashboards a lot - "Tires Don Exits." It means "tiers don't exist." Especially in sm4sh where so much of the cast is already balanced. I've been saying Kirby is good in this game since day 1. People didn't believe me, but it doesn't really matter. You just need to practice, develop your neutral game, perfect perfect pivoting, and learn your combos and kill setups. Then start winning. Doesn't really matter what other people think of a character so long as you're winning.

I'm not on smashboards too often but I'm happy to answer stuff if you tag me (like Asdioh did) on smashboards / ask me stuff on Twitter (@smashG0D) or on ask.fm/smashg0d.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
@ Smash G 0 D Smash G 0 D its nice seeing you, I'd like to know what buffs you personally think Kirby could use? I mean REASONABLE buffs too :p what weaknesses of his do you think have the biggest impact?
But yea I agree with you, Kirby is good, but too underrated and not getting noticed enough.
Same with many other characters.

Last edited:

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
@ Smash G 0 D Smash G 0 D its nice seeing you, I'd like to know what buffs you personally think Kirby could use? I mean REASONABLE buffs too :p what weaknesses of his do you think have the biggest impact?
But yea I agree with you, Kirby is good, but too underrated and not getting noticed enough.
Same with many other characters.
To be quite frank, I don't really see the purpose in discussing what buffs/nerfs characters COULD get because discussion doesn't actually affect Sakurai's decisions... but since you ask, I would like lower startup on Kirby's DownB Rock. I like using it to catch panic airdodges and to get out of juggles at the top of the stage, but because of the long startup I often get hit while transforming into a rock. I would also like Uthrow to kill earlier.

Top Bottom