• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

where can i incorporate dtilt into comboes

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
can some people give me some examples and tips? i rarely ever use it..when i think of where i've seen it used in videos the only thing that comes to mind is a waveland to dtilt bombsoldier pulled off for a quick kill in one match..it's just i don't see it used much and i don't get much use out of it myself..i assume i can do a shine combo to dair to dtilt and then combo from there..but it doesn't seem any better than the normal shine combos...does it require a different di to get out of? (because if that was the case it would be good to use for variation and/or mind games)

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Yeah I suffer from lack of dtilt as well. A suprisingly good time to use it is when an opponent is at the edge and hoping for a shield grab turnaround. Since you can't really aerial behind them to avoid a grab, you're limited to ground moves of which dtilt and ftilt excel. Dtilt has a convenient IASA frame which is faster than most shieldgrabs so you can get away with dtilt -> tap at unusual times. It's pretty hard to land dtilts at crucial times, but the fact that it is deceptively fast should be used to your advantage when deploying the beast.

If you really want situational uses, then I prefer backthrow to dtilt on floaties at low percents for both characters. After the backthrow, samuses and peaches like to inturrupt things with an aerial at low %'s and get back on the ground as soon as they can. If you're under 100% you can usually send them right back up there with a crouched dtilt and put them on a defensive position early in their stock.

In general, crouched downtilts are Falco's equivalent to a shield grab and although pretty situational, move exchanges involving the downtilt are suprisingly beneficial.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's why I asked about that because I crouch cancel dtilts when I expect a kill out of it. I went into training mode with bowser once to find the lowest percentage needed (without DI) to kill a bowser with a dtilt.

I don't find it very useful in combos, though. It's awesome to shield grab someone, throw down and dtilt for the kill if they're high enough, or shine if they're low. I usually dtilt now, because the shine never hits anymore. Even then, people usually DI or roll away before the dtilt comes out.

You mentioned backthrowing into one. I'll try that. I usually don't backthrow because, at low percentages, it doesn't ever help me at all. I typically down throw or up throw at lower percentages and then down or foward at higher %

Wow...I think that was a bit of a tangent there...

flintstone

Smash Cadet
i havent really paid much attention to what other people have said, but eprsonally, i use d'tilts quite frequently after a down drab

i used to use a shine and carry on from there, but tht was before our game became more skillful (if tht is the correct word to describe it)

but after a down grab, and if opponent has di'd the wrong way, ill use the d-tilt instead of a dhine, as it has the reach the shine lacks, and is still useful for starting a combo

like some people mentioned, u could use it as a ledge gaurd, but tht would send them upwards, and depending on the opponent, could result on u getting a k.o, or them recovering...
but then again its all down to ur preference and playing style, i just wish i had some footage of our fights today.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
dthrow>dtilt is rarely going to work. The person will have to miss their tech, and even if they do, wouldn't a dsmash be better anyway?

flintstone

Smash Cadet
yea, i know it rarely works, but i rarely do grabs anyway, and i just find d-tilt more effective as it sends them up in the air, rather than along the ground like a d-smash normally does, as much as it can cover behind aswell.
i also find the d-tilt is a bit faster than a d-smash, but its all just my personal opinion on the way i play

mathos

Smash Champion
dthrow>dtilt is rarely going to work. The person will have to miss their tech, and even if they do, wouldn't a dsmash be better anyway?
Depending on whether the dsmash will kill them to setup for an edgeguard, the dtilt will allow for more combo-potential.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
can some people give me some examples and tips? i rarely ever use it..when i think of where i've seen it used in videos the only thing that comes to mind is a waveland to dtilt bombsoldier pulled off for a quick kill in one match..it's just i don't see it used much and i don't get much use out of it myself..i assume i can do a shine combo to dair to dtilt and then combo from there..but it doesn't seem any better than the normal shine combos...does it require a different di to get out of? (because if that was the case it would be good to use for variation and/or mind games)
Dtilting is pretty rare now that I think about it o.O. But I use mines probably 1-3 times a game. I like doing something you mentioned, coming out with it after or mid shine combo. I use it most oftenly though during a pillar, cuz you know the shields get smaller and smaller and Dtilt gets lucky sometimes. It does KO pretty good, wasn't it said it KOs verticly faster than anything else in his moveset? I dont remember.. Ahh well =p.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
From the ground, I think it does. Obviously, if you hit with an uair up high then it'll kill lower. Or even a shine up high on characters like Jiggs...but that's probably not usually a good idea lol

Top Bottom