• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When Should I use the C-Stick

Binx

Smash Master
Alright I know there is a right way and a wrong way to use the controller if you want to be a good marth. I use the c-stick about half the time for my fair so that I can DI while im doing it, I use the c-stick for my second hit in the sh dbl fair, and I use for spiking when I dont want to FF, and for my uair all of the times I use uair, my question is should I be using it for all of my aerial attack or just some of them. Also should I be using it for my forward smashes or is it better to just hit >A? And as a side note Ive noticed that the timing for L Cancel on dair is different when you connect with it.

The Blackstar

Smash Journeyman
1. C-stick whenever you want to. Or don't at all. It's a complete matter of preference. I'm not going to go into when I c-stick because it's just whatever I/my fingers feel like doing at that moment, or how I'm playing that day. The only thing I c-stick everytime is a smash that I want to come out immediately.

2. The timing for a l-cancel for ANY move is different if you hit connect with it as opposed to not connecting.

3. There is no right wrong way to use the controller. Preference. This is even more true because of the multiple ways to do most things in the game (jump, shield, etc).

flaco

The Terminator
Use C-stick if you don't want to accidently fastfall.
dude what are you talking about.Is not about that is the charecter becuase if you do that with captain falcon he still have the danger to die it doesent mean he wont also for marth the same but if you use c stick is gonna be less risky he will not die.

The Blackstar

Smash Journeyman
dude what are you talking about.Is not about that is the charecter becuase if you do that with captain falcon he still have the danger to die it doesent mean he wont also for marth the same but if you use c stick is gonna be less risky he will not die.
What are you talking about?? It's not the character, it IS the pressing down at the peak of your jump that makes you fastfall.

This has nothing to do with fall speed. Even "natural" fastfallers can fastfall when you press down at the peak of your jump. C-sticking a dair is good for preventing that if you can't control it yourself.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Best time i find to use the c-stick is right afer a double f-air combo cause usually it gets them to tipper range. Also sometimes when edgeguarding e.g. throw them off and wait for them to either comeback on the stage or if its c.falcon jsut c-stick them right before they grab the edge.

TC_wing

Smash Rookie
i use c-stick quite a bit

i use it for fsmashing, i NEVER charge my fsmash, i mean like i cant even remember when was the last time i attempted charging my fsmash

i do it about 20% of the time for a fair, so i can DI, like binx says

i do it for dair spiking and i dont wanna fast fall, like binx says

i say....
use it whenver you think its necessary, just think of the lag, and stuff...and thats about it....dont overuse it, etc..etc..

u cna use the control anyway you want, as long as you can beat ppl etc it doesnt matter, lolol, thats just my opinion i know it soudns dumb

Reece the philosopher

Smash Rookie
I use the c-stick all the time with marth its great for forward smash unless your charging it.
I find it to be very helpful for all ariel attacks and spikeing

It definitly helps to prevent fastfalling in mid air when spikeing so i dont know why anyone would disagree with that clear fact

demonsbane105

Smash Journeyman
i never ever use the cstick and i'm perfectly fine. like people keep saying, if you want to, use it. if not, then don't.

flaco

The Terminator
True but the c stick is useful in some places like to do a adouble fair with marth I use the c stick and also l cancel it much easier.

AS Money

Smash Lord
i love the c-stick i roll with it i charge smash regular smash all my arials if i could tilt with it i would

flaco

The Terminator
Um all your ariels I will try that to see if it different thanks bro I use c stick but not for all my moves.

The Blackstar

Smash Journeyman
I main Marth (I guess), so depending on what I'm doing, or how cooperative my fingers are being that particular day, I might use it to camp fairs, or so I can DI the opposite way, but really, it's preference.

I pillar with the c-stick and usually shffl with it. Again, just use it whenever you feel like it. Or don't.

flaco

The Terminator
I agree my friend well said id give you rep but it said you must spread some reputation around lol something like that.

flaco

The Terminator
I guess not for me is not diffucult for me to spike but I find that wuth marth I spike with no problem but with captain falcon iI sometimes kill myself doing it I dont know why is too fast.

Foxisthemaster

Smash Apprentice
When using Marth, I usually use the c-stick after right after wavedashing away from an enemy, when they are coming toward you from off the stage

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
ok...about C sticking your fairs. Over the past few days, I've been working on Using ONLY the C-stick for my fairs, SHDF, retreating fairs, and retreated double fairs. It gives you such good control over your DI, and makes spacing sooo much easier. It's a little hard to retreat SHDF with the c stick only at first, but once you get used to it its awesome. But, I'm having a problem. While I can control my Di very well now, I can't combo. I realized the only way I can combo is with the A button. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, why it's harder to combo with the c stick, and just what should i do? Thanks.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I am the same way jesiah sort of, I have to do my first f-air with the a then use the c stick then back to a in the combo, I can't keep using one or the other, I have to alternate..I have good control but it seems akward when you think about it.

FearLegend

Smash Cadet
I never use C-stick lol. If I want to do combo in the air I use only Z its sounds weird but it works good sometime I have the feeling that Z button is like L-canceling but with the attack whats means attack + L-cancel at the same time lol

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I've found that if you tip a fair at the 3 o'clock position you can't really combo that well, especially if your double fairing (they can get out sometimes). The best spot to tip and continue to combo to me has been the 2 o'clock part of the fair.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
ok...about C sticking your fairs. Over the past few days, I've been working on Using ONLY the C-stick for my fairs, SHDF, retreating fairs, and retreated double fairs. It gives you such good control over your DI, and makes spacing sooo much easier. It's a little hard to retreat SHDF with the c stick only at first, but once you get used to it its awesome. But, I'm having a problem. While I can control my Di very well now, I can't combo. I realized the only way I can combo is with the A button. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, why it's harder to combo with the c stick, and just what should i do? Thanks.
I think that it's because your having trouble gaining momentum before attacking now that you use the c-stick. When you use a you automatically DI in that direction to the fullest extent during the entire combo just by holding that direction. Now that you use the c-stick you're adjusting your DI more than before and thus sometimes stopping your momentum (in order to DI backwards) and you're probably having problems following your opponent aftewards. Try dashing before your short hops if your sure the hit will connect (otherwise you risk getting shield grabbed) in order to gain enough momentum to follow them.

BTW are any of you going to pound 2? If you are then we should have a match.

DOPL

Smash Rookie
I use the c-stick for pretty much all of my aerials except for the nair (A) and SHDF (also A). As for comboing, I find it generally makes life easier as long as you carry your momentum, as Dark Sonic said. It especially helps when following up aerials with tilts, as you can push the control stick in the desired direction before the aerial animation ends, l-cancel, and tilt almost immediately. You can also use the Kizzu set up of SH fair (A) --> uair (c-stick) as a combo starter and still maintain forward momentum.

I also use is for fsmashes, for obvious reasons.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Sweet. I'll be rather easy to find. I'm the black guy in a shirt that has "The Rock Project" on the front and "TCHS" in the back. The TCHS looks like the AC DC logo with a bolt of lightning cutting it down the middle.

Top Bottom