• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When do YOU use Sing and Rollout? How successful are you?

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
I'm currently compiling footage I've recorded for a compilation video which shows some ledge-cancelled sings winning games for me. I'll upload it as soon as its done, and it should demonstrate how to take advantage of it.

Tselel (5805)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chris_Tselel
Whenever you two settle this, let us know.

I prefer to ledge-cancel both to stall out. I've gotten stocks and whole wins off of ledge-cancel sing.
Something I haven't seen a lot of people note, though, is that you can grab the ledge with rollout after it impacts the stage. It's not really a ledge-cancel, but let me use my catchy, inaccurate terms. I haven't done anything with it yet, but it is fun to do just to demonstrate a little useless knowledge of a character in a match.

The rollout procedure is pretty useless, but if you want to try it, I think it's just a jump with an outward direction from holding the ledge, hit rollout so you run into the stage's ledge, and you should grab the ledge after impact is indicated. Careful you don't go under. Also, it's been awhile so I may be remembering that incorrectly.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Rollout is great for missed techs, especially if you are far away. Start charging when the hit the ground, and once you see them move, let go and you will hit their get-up option. It works well.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Whenever you two settle this, let us know.

I prefer to ledge-cancel both to stall out. I've gotten stocks and whole wins off of ledge-cancel sing.
Something I haven't seen a lot of people note, though, is that you can grab the ledge with rollout after it impacts the stage. It's not really a ledge-cancel, but let me use my catchy, inaccurate terms. I haven't done anything with it yet, but it is fun to do just to demonstrate a little useless knowledge of a character in a match.

The rollout procedure is pretty useless, but if you want to try it, I think it's just a jump with an outward direction from holding the ledge, hit rollout so you run into the stage's ledge, and you should grab the ledge after impact is indicated. Careful you don't go under. Also, it's been awhile so I may be remembering that incorrectly.
I will...he still hasn't got back to me yet...

With rollout, there's a technique that I used in Brawl whichI called 'snuggling'. You may have been familiar with 'hugging', where you run off the stage and instantly hit the direction-stick towards the stage in order to grab it and therefore edge-hog.
'Snuggling' was another way of doing this with Jiggs whilst on stage. If you're close to the edge, TAP B (do not charge at all), and you will slowly roll off the stage and automatically grab the ledge. You can also do this facing away from the edge if you tab B, then tap towards the edge straight after so that you turn around.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
I will...he still hasn't got back to me yet...

With rollout, there's a technique that I used in Brawl whichI called 'snuggling'. You may have been familiar with 'hugging', where you run off the stage and instantly hit the direction-stick towards the stage in order to grab it and therefore edge-hog.
'Snuggling' was another way of doing this with Jiggs whilst on stage. If you're close to the edge, TAP B (do not charge at all), and you will slowly roll off the stage and automatically grab the ledge. You can also do this facing away from the edge if you tab B, then tap towards the edge straight after so that you turn around.
i knew this but it was so useless i didn't mention it :/

MikiSagittarius

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1461-6991-9602
The hype train crashed into a cotton candy factory...

AND IS STILL GOING, GO COTTON CANDY TRAIN

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
Both moves are quite cheesy. Sometimes I do use sing just in the middle of the stage. I usually do this if I'm ahead and they are at rest kill % and I'm trying to hasten a match. Often times, people will mess up and walk/run/attack into it trying to punish you. Sometimes when they try to smack you, their hurt box gets in range of sing before their hit box hits you. Also, if someone hasn't seen sing in a super long time, they may not take the obvious aerial route and perform the above mistake.

What really sucks about sing is that people can mash out of sing even up to 110%+ if they get hit by the first part of sing and it's not ledge cancelled...

While I'm not sure how fast Roll Out is, a completely uncharged roll out has a hit box at point blank in the air. I've hit some people with it on accident but I don't see any reason to use this over Nair or other aerials.

Also, I'd love to see the grudge match above :p. That made this topic quite entertaining.

Last edited:

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
i knew this but it was so useless i didn't mention it :/
Lmao, digs where you can get them. It was useful as an alternate way to edge-hog in Brawl, and if timed correctly, you can steal the edge from a recovering opponent, then jump off into a back-air. NOT useless...but then you are a God and everything...what do I - a mere mortal - know about it :S

IguanaBeWithYou

Smash Rookie
NNID
IskanderTheGreat
In response to Rollout onto stage, IMO It can easily be punished because if someone were to jump in front of you when you're not above the stage it would send you helplessly falling to your death

IguanaBeWithYou

Smash Rookie
NNID
IskanderTheGreat
Sing is actually extremely useful against spammy characters like sonic when he's spinning at you use sing for an easy punish but of course with most thing they will get smart after a while so don't spam :4jigglypuff:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Rollout is good for flying over people's head from offstage and coming back to knock them offstage and start an edgeguard. It can also tack on quite a bit of shield damage if they put theirs up, though you can also grab or jump to avoid it so meh.

As for sing? I don't use it, except when occasionally try to Rising Pound and screw up. Even at high percents, the opponent usually wakes up before you finish the move (read: I've had this happen when they're at 100%. Multiple times....hence why I don't use it now.) any situation where it can be used can replace it with another move that's overall more useful, so why bother?

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Rollout is a solid check to people who think they can stutter step away into low-endlag Smashes freely. Ever wonder how Jigglypuff could ever punish Meta Knight F-Smash? Now you knowwwww~

You'll get punished on hit at really low percents, but otherwise, it's something to consider if you're just getting walled by this simple but effective tactic.

Last edited:

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Haven't heard anything recently. He's probably still busy conquering empires and not making mistakes...

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Sing comes out a full half-second after you press Up-B. You can't really use it on reaction to anything as a result; someone like Sonic can just jump on reaction or hit you in the huge gap between Sing waves.

IguanaBeWithYou

Smash Rookie
NNID
IskanderTheGreat
Sing comes out a full half-second after you press Up-B. You can't really use it on reaction to anything as a result; someone like Sonic can just jump on reaction or hit you in the huge gap between Sing waves.
IMO it's still pretty useful against Falcons or Pit/dark pits side-B considering it has a bit of startup lag (and they can't cancel it), they'll be sent right through you asleep and probably too far that by the time they wake up there will be a slight chance for a follow up.
:201j::201i::201g::201g::201l::201y:

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
Half a second of delay means you'll need at least .25 seconds of visual/audio reaction time before the .5 second sing animation to input sing on reaction. Considering that most animations don't even immediately begin for a few frames, this puts you at a whopping .75-.8 seconds of your opponent messing up to do a reactionary sing (AKA them doing a super unsafe move like Side B from Captain Falcon) because anything less than that, they should be able to shield or jump in time

Sing is definitely best used as a read. I especially like using it against rolls towards you and against fast characters at midrange that like to dash in when I'm NOT at kill %. Sometimes I like using it against inexperienced players who often like to walk into it trying to punish, but against good people, I do this only if I'm desperate.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
IMO it's still pretty useful against Falcons or Pit/dark pits side-B considering it has a bit of startup lag (and they can't cancel it), they'll be sent right through you asleep and probably too far that by the time they wake up there will be a slight chance for a follow up.
:201j::201i::201g::201g::201l::201y:
It is only active for three 4-frame intervals in a ~150-frame animation. He'll be in range for about 10 frames before hitting you. That's about a 15% chance of it working, and that's assuming he doesn't just wait to hit you between waves.

IguanaBeWithYou

Smash Rookie
NNID
IskanderTheGreat
It is only active for three 4-frame intervals in a ~150-frame animation. He'll be in range for about 10 frames before hitting you. That's about a 15% chance of it working, and that's assuming he doesn't just wait to hit you between waves.
ok isee now, i didnt know the exact frame data of sing, but when youre opponent starts to get predictable its a whole lot easier to catch them off-guard with sing

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
One use I've found for sing is to edgeguard shulk. Sometimes, air slash doesn't grab the ledge and he lands on the stage with quite a lot of landing lag. Enough to go ahead and sing when you see he's going to land (rest punishing here is WAY more difficult)

Last edited:

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
One use I've found for sing is to edgeguard shulk. Sometimes, air slash doesn't grab the ledge and he lands on the stage with quite a lot of landing lag. Enough to go ahead and sing when you see he's going to land (rest punishing here is WAY more difficult)
not really, because SH towards him give you an easy rest. Sing is a waste of opportunity. If you are close enough to sing, that means it is half a second to get one characters length, which can easily be covered by SH.

darkrailink1 (dl1)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dl1
3DS FC
2509-2107-2647
Did u know that if you use sing on stages were you could ride up to the ledge it will boost you there. try it on stages like battlefield, smashville :4jigglypuff:

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Also we already have an abundance of threads about Sing, so be sure to check one of those out.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
So, me and @ Jay-kun Jay-kun fought. Best of 5, no items, no customs, 2-stock.

It was laggy...

The stage choices weren't discussed...

He went Pacman, I went Jiggs...

Videos coming soon... ;)

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
wait. i beat you more than you did me, had a winstreak of at least 5 where yours was only 2, and 2-stocked you 3+ tjmes, 2 of the times being right after each other. what is this "best out of five" crap going on. thats stupid we played more than 5 rounds, u could take any video where u won (u only won in the beginning) and post them. I think I did great agaisnt you but dont want to have my reputafion tarnished by a 3 to 2 advantage in the first 5 matches :/ these are the only videos being posted of me in action.

Last edited:

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
wait. i beat you more than you did me, had a winstreak of at least 5 where yours was only 2, and 2-stocked you 3+ tjmes, 2 of the times being right after each other. what is this "best out of five" crap going on. thats stupid we played more than 5 rounds, u could take any video where u won (u only won in the beginning) and post them. I think I did great agaisnt you but dont want to have my reputafion tarnished by a 3 to 2 advantage in the first 5 matches :/ these are the only videos being posted of me in action.
Are...you...serious. The best of 5 is what we agreed on. I recorded THE FIRST FIVE games. That was the arrangement. Best of 5, Apex rules. You beat me later on because after winning the best of 5, I started choosing different characters and playing halfheartedly. I'd already won. How dare you try and take that away from me. I have the games recorded with the times that we played them. They were back to back. Also, amongst the lag and the god-awful stage choices (thanks for that by the way...), we barely got a chance to play a decent set.

You're proving that not only are you big-headed, self-righteous, and immature, you're also a sore loser. I will post THE FIRST FIVE games that we played. I messaged you after we had played them and then switched characters.

Shameful.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Also...

Jay-kun...I would happily verse you online. In fact, I'm calling you out. If you can beat me in a best of 5, I'll let you claim to 'counter Nairo', and be 'a pro'. If you decline the challenge, I will continue to believe -as EVERYONE else reading your posts does - that you are full of it.
"best of 5"

"BEST OF 5"

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
What reputation? :awesome:
You are exactly right. I don't have a real reputation because I don't have any vids uploaded of me playing. And I don't want a salty kid to ruin my first appearance.. (sorry for the slang)

Are...you...serious. The best of 5 is what we agreed on. I recorded THE FIRST FIVE games. That was the arrangement. Best of 5, Apex rules. You beat me later on because after winning the best of 5, I started choosing different characters and playing halfheartedly. I'd already won. How dare you try and take that away from me. I have the games recorded with the times that we played them. They were back to back. Also, amongst the lag and the god-awful stage choices (thanks for that by the way...), we barely got a chance to play a decent set.

You're proving that not only are you big-headed, self-righteous, and immature, you're also a sore loser. I will post THE FIRST FIVE games that we played. I messaged you after we had played them and then switched characters.

Shameful.
(am checking our conversations might of forgotten)

Shameful.
soooo.. i checked our conversations where did u say best of 5? .-.

Shameful.
please stop.. i don't like being called names. so i won't call u shameful (lol see what i did there)
but... even everyone can clearly see that I never agreed... :/
the best of 5 is what YOU agreed on.. D:
EDIT!!
I do see where I ask for terms of it though... it seems to be i am more like stating things than accepting ur duel

Last edited by a moderator:

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
please stop.. i don't like being called names. so i won't call u shameful (lol see what i did there)
but... even everyone can clearly see that I never agreed... :/
the best of 5 is what YOU agreed on.. D:
EDIT!!
I do see where I ask for terms of it though... it seems to be i am more like stating things than accepting ur duel
Finding yourself funny..I guess somebody has to. My original challenge stated it. You took that challenge (eventually). Also, as you waited nearly a month to accept the challenge, you had plenty of time to prepare yourself, and I'd started to give up on you actually versing you. But we did verse. I wish I'd just left it as the best of five. I only played more games as a courtesy to you. I had nothing else to prove, hence why I started playing as other characters. Wait for the video. You WILL be exposed.

Also, for someone who stated "no johns" as one of the ground-rules, you're awfully defensive.

Top Bottom