• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you first play Super Smash Bros.?

oodnetnin

Smash Cadet
What were the circumstances surrounding your first experience with Smash Bros.?
Did a friend recommend it, did you rent it, did you see someone else playing it, etc.?
Who did you play as first?

raymanbud714

Smash Journeyman
friend had a birthday party. and he happend to get the smash 64. played it allll freaking night. and ever since then ive loved the game.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I subscribed to GameInformer. It was on the cover once. I was interested in it. I bought it when it came out.

NDUDE

Smash Ace
I was over at a friend's house, and we had a bunch of people over (I think it was a birthday party or something). I played as Link and button-mashed since it was the first time I had ever played, and I had no idea what I was doing. I just knew that his recovery sucked (this was SSB64 =P). From then on, since I couldn't buy the game, I rented it multiple times and borrowed it from someone. When I heard of the GCN and SSBM, that was instantly the first game I wanted to get. I got it in May 2002 (for my birthday), and I later bought SSB64 from a friend. I pretty much grew up on SSB. XD

Finn Macool

Smash Apprentice
got it with the 64 for christmas, first game i fired up on the 64 and me and my brothers played all day long

Eden

Smash Rookie
My friend got it, for the 64. Before that we played only the lousey fps games at the time, but thats when it changed my life. Everyday after school we'd just play it. I stopped playing for near 6 years though, then just started playing melee 6 months ago and it took me back~

CrossX

Smash Apprentice
I saw the commercial for SSB 64, thought it was the greatest commercial ever. I still do, and from then on I just continued play Super Smash.

IGN Forums

Smash Journeyman
i pre-ordered Smash 64 because my cousin was going to, so i said w/e i should pre-order it, because it looks like a cool game!! So... now i still play Smash 64 non-stop!!!

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Played 64 at a Birthday party.

Same goes with Melee. But when I started to sleep over at a buddies house we would play it for hours.

-Onyx

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
I went to the dentist and there was a 64 hooked up with SSB inside, I played it and loved the atmosphere of the game.....And that was that lawlz

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
July 29, 1999. It was at my cousin's birthday party; Yoshi was my first character. :D

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
oh, I mained mario and link in 64

in melee I mained mario and zelda/sheik (link felt nerfed in the way I used to use him even though most people will prolly disagree, plus I loved the whole zelda/shiek idea)

supersonicdjs

Smash Journeyman
I was going shopping in gamestop in the year 2005 and I bought it with Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door. I had Melee for a couple of years and Everytime I looked for Pics from the original Smash Bros, it came up with Melee pics. I went out to search for the original Smash Bros, and at the time I was looking for Paper Mario 2. (I somehow always get the sequel before the original.) I decided to get both. I had fun iwth Paper Mario 2, and then I popped in The original Smash Bros. and I noticed you couldn't charge up smash attacks.

I was like, "This Sucks" because of no Charged Smash attacks. I put the game away and layed on my bed to rest my eyes. Then I suddenly opened my eyes and went "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING I PAYED 15 DOLLARS FOR THIS!".

I put the game back in, unlocked all the characters, and I got addicted. I played until 3:00.

okiyama

Smash Ace
December 25, 1997.
I was 6 at the time and I played aproximately 2-3 hours a day, everyday 90% of the time with a friend playing with me.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
When I was six or so, my friend and I rented Smash64 from our local Blockbuster.

We only knew how to use neutral B moves for a REALLY long time, and we thought that all A moves sucked. I remember it took us about six tries to unlock Jigglypuff - ON VERY EASY DIFFICULTY

I also just remembered that at first we hated it because we thought it was a cooperative adventure game. (exactly like SSE) I remember us going into VS Mode and jumping around, waiting for enemies to arrive. We were confused why the levels didn't scroll and why we were able to hit each other.

Pretty sad, I know. -_-

Zevox

Smash Lord
My brother rented it sometime back in '99. I think the first character I played was either Link or Pikachu, playing the one-player mode. Needless to say, we bought it shortly after the rental time was up. Ending up "maining" Captain Falcon. Had a bit of a rivalry with a friend who played Samus going for a little while - every time we got together, we absolutely had to play at least one match.

Zevox

Darkslash

Smash Master
Hmm first time I've played smash was somewhere in 1999 or 2000. It was my B-day and one of my friend s brought Smash Bros. with him. Then I forgot about it until I went to this B-day party where they were playing Melee. I was having so much fun and was sad to leave :(. Then one day i go to my Dentists Office and check the old 64 games there mostly because I was tired of play Podracing and Rouge Squadron. And I was thrilled that Smash bros 64 was there. He had a Xbox 360 but then it wouldn't read the disc on the only game after the 3rd stage lol. So every time I go there I play Smash Bros. as Mario or Fox.

Heck even remember my mains :laugh:

SSB64
Mario and Fox

Melee
Pikachu

For Brawl you can see them in my sig lol

oodnetnin

Smash Cadet
Hmm first time I've played smash was somewhere in 1999 or 2000. It was my B-day and one of my friend s brought Smash Bros. with him. Then I forgot about it until I went to this B-day party where they were playing Melee. I was having so much fun and was sad to leave :(. Then one day i go to my Dentists Office and check the old 64 games there mostly because I was tired of play Podracing and Rouge Squadron. And I was thrilled that Smash bros 64 was there. He had a Xbox 360 but then it wouldn't read the disc on the only game after the 3rd stage lol. So every time I go there I play Smash Bros. as Mario or Fox.
Your the 2nd person to have a dentist's office with an N64, how cool!

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Kid a couple houses down rented it and he was playing it with some friends sometime in 1999/2000. I went over there because my mom needed my brother and I saw them playing. I was interested and kept watching... fell in love with it. First character I ever used was Samus. Had to buy the game at that point.

Ended up "maining" Captain Falcon, although I didn't really play the game all that much after a few months. Melee came out before long and I got it for Christmas, and I have played that ever since. As far as who I mained in Melee... I started with Young Link, moved to Marth in 2002 and stuck with him until I picked up Falcon again and Marth was more of a secondary (early last year).

Thus, I will probably be maining Captain Falcon in Brawl, or at least using him as a secondary just because it's become tradition.

And my dentist office has PS2s with crap games :( just racing/driving games....

nice1

Smash Lord
i saw the commercial and i went to the YMCA, and they had it there. After i had played it, i went out and bought the game

Darkslash

Smash Master
Kid a couple houses down rented it and he was playing it with some friends sometime in 1999/2000. I went over there because my mom needed my brother and I saw them playing. I was interested and kept watching... fell in love with it. First character I ever used was Samus. Had to buy the game at that point.

Ended up "maining" Captain Falcon, although I didn't really play the game all that much after a few months. Melee came out before long and I got it for Christmas, and I have played that ever since. As far as who I mained in Melee... I started with Young Link, moved to Marth in 2002 and stuck with him until I picked up Falcon again and Marth was more of a secondary (early last year).

Thus, I will probably be maining Captain Falcon in Brawl, or at least using him as a secondary just because it's become tradition.

And my dentist office has PS2s with crap games :( just racing/driving games....
LOL my dentist has Excite Bike 64,Tony Hawk,Smash Bros,Super Mario 64. The Xbox 360 has Open Season and may have Halo 3( last time i went there was before the launch date of Halo 3)

Top Bottom