• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you first play SSB64?

MetalMario75

Smash Rookie
I played it years ago, soon after I got my N64. I can still remember playing it with my cousins when they were at my house once.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
The first time I played SSB64 had to be roughly the same year or the year after it was released. I immediately fell in love with the game when I played it, most notably because I always played the adventure mode on Very Easy difficulty, which allowed me to win every time. This was the first game that I played in which I had the satisfaction of dominating other players and understanding the basic mechanics of a game. Even though I only won because I played Very Easy, the game still brought me happiness and it spawned an interest in fighting games that I hadn't before.

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
Back when it first came out, I only rented it but it slowly grew on me, making me want to suddenly break the targets or board the platforms at any moment, but I didn't really got good on the game (never had people that liked it as much as I did), so I gave up on SSB64 until recently I entered college and now I got some real competition.

Dragonoise

Smash Apprentice
Heh, it was quite a few years ago when I was just a kid. Got it along with my N64, so we played that tons. It was much more interesting to me than a conventional fighter.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
It was 1999 and my neighbor had it. I used to go over to his house for everything since he had the n64 and all the awesome games while I was stuck with a psx with like... 2 games.

I only clearly remember playing it one time which was the first time he got it. My other neighbor was having an all night birthday party and we just decided to bring the new game over. I remember everyone cheering me on when I unlocked ness and everyone thought ness was ash ketchem except for me.

We played ffa the whole night and I wouldn't stop wining. There was one thing bugging me at that party though... How the hell did you use ness's yoyo and bat >: (

I was around 6-7 XP

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I played it at my friends in 1999, then got it my self as a gift in 2000, i loved playing the game but hated at the same time because i only knew 2 people who played it, and both of them played samus or link, people who loved the B button xD (i wish i could take what i know now, back then :p)

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
I started playing it the first week it came out. My first character was Pikachu and back then Master Hand was the hard to beat lol..... back then, then first week I got it, I didnt know how to shield >__<

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
one of my friends brought it to my house then i fell in love with it i then got it 1999 christmas. =] :pikachu:

koodoo25

Smash Rookie
the first time i played it was in like 2002. my siblings probably played it in 1999

Spire

III
BRoomer
I played an imported version a few months before the American version came out.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I played it at my babysitters when I was a wee lad, beat 1-player with Yoshi, 1st try, no continues! went into hibernation basically after that, then in 2003, spring, a Gamecube was purchased along with Melee, and now I am here!

D13

Smash Ace
At my best friend's house when I was around 7 years old (that's a guess). I loved it. :p

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
The only reason i played smash bros was because it came out near my birthday and my parents took me to buy any game i wanted. I actually wanted super mario 64 but they didn't have so i decided to choose Smash Bros. and ever since then i've been hooked :laugh:

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
Eh, what? Smash 64?

Ahh yes, I remember that game. I don't remember when exactly I bought it, but I know I rented it first and was like oh **** I want this game. Back in the N64 days, the only other outstanding fighting game was Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. Anyone remember that?

Anyways I totally loved the new innovative gameplay style and got pretty good at SSB64. Some of my favorite moves were running and Up+Bing with Luigi, and using Samus's Up+A smash, back when all five flames would usually hit ur opponent for 50% damage.

Samus was prolly my best char in that game, back when she had an instant Dair instead of Melee's delayed one.

iTz_HaVoC

Smash Cadet
I don't exactly recall, but what i do remember is that i bought it before we went to a party with all my friends. Once we tore it out of the box and played we were hooked. We held little tourneys and everything. In fact i caused the smash bug between my friends. =D Good times, Good Times.

Velda

Smash Rookie
I played games up in robotics club and my friends saw that the games were from the N64. So they all wanted me to get smash bros. And I did. I:
A. Got re-hyped up for smash bros brawl
B. Loved the Smash Bros series again
C. Learned about grabs, rolls, smashes, etc.
D. Was the main reason I wanted smash bros brawl.

Ganon007

Smash Cadet
Oh wow its been almost ten years...wow I feel old xD. My big bro came over from Florida (was living in CA at the time) and bought me my first game console, my N64 (I cant believe i still have that old thing) and my first two games Smash Bros. and Star Wars Episode I Racer. I got as good as any 10 year old can get =D

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Ahh yes, I remember that game. I don't remember when exactly I bought it, but I know I rented it first and was like oh **** I want this game. Back in the N64 days, the only other outstanding fighting game was Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. Anyone remember that?

Anyways I totally loved the new innovative gameplay style and got pretty good at SSB64. Some of my favorite moves were running and Up+Bing with Luigi, and using Samus's Up+A smash, back when all five flames would usually hit ur opponent for 50% damage.

Samus was prolly my best char in that game, back when she had an instant Dair instead of Melee's delayed one.
I read a review for Bio F.R.E.A.K.S but never played it...looked...interesting, to say the least.
And I first read that as "Samus was prolly the best char in that game, " gave me a :laugh:
Instant Dair for like, half the cast. Drills for the rest of them :chuckle:
Kirby - best of both worlds...:mad:
Link - Neither :cry:
Guess Pikachu didn't get one either but...who needs that :p

Edit for on topicness - a really long time ago...¬.¬
...Real specific yeah. I still have my copy though :)
And Starfox64...need to play the game again...DO A BARREL ROLL :laugh:

BigWizzle04

Smash Rookie
The one that Won

Wow. It was so long ago. The first time I played it was when I rented it for 5 days. I play it for one day and I think I'm good, then I went to Best Buy the next day, and they had it hooked up for everyone to play (At the time it was still new). Anyways, there was this kid there and he was the pro at the time. Every person he played, he beat. And he played as the same character as you. So I wait in line, because I think I'm the best at the game (This is my second time playing), and I play this kid as Pikachu (He was the first and only character I had ever played with at the time). This kid beat me, as Pikachu, like I was nothing, and just crushed my spirit. After that, I did nothing but play the game. I got better. Unlocked CF, and now he's my guy. And with the people I play with, I can't be beaten. But this is just my group of friends. I know there are better players everywhere, I just never get a chance to play them. All I know is that I will never forget that kid that beat me, and I would LOVE to have a rematch.

Grunt

Smash Master
i first played it at a friends about the year of launch, but never bought it until around 02-03 or something. i would still play it all the time, if it weren't for mario party's obsession with rapidly rotating the control stick. i ruined 2 controllers that way. :(

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I got it after I finally bought a N64, which was 3 years ago. I just loved Melee so I knew I had to get the original.

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
We got our N64 the Christmas it came out (my brothers and I, that is). We loved Mario Kart 64 so much. We saw this sweet commercial with real-life dressed up Nintendo characters in a field with the "So happy together" song playing in the background (yes, I remember the commercial vividly even though I was about 8). Then they all started beating on each other, and I thought it was awesome. A lot of kids at school talked about the commercial, too. Then me and my brothers rented it 1 time. We absolutely loved it, and bought it shortly after. We logged thousands of hours, and all of the characters stats are maxed out on our cartridge. They were a little older, and didn't like the speed of Melee when it came out, and I agreed, for awhile, until I realized how fun it was when I played it with some friends one time.

Well, here I am today, playing all 3 ssb's regularly still, and loving them all.

Emperor Mario

Smash Cadet
I remeber the I got it around the same time it came out. it was the good old days, I got it before my cousins did whenever they come to my house I used it win alot(until one of them bought it and became better than me). I don't remeber who I mained back then, but at that time I didn't know what Ness' PK Magnet did or Jigglypuff's rest did. Infact I don't think I even had a specific main.

chili

Smash Cadet
I played it about a week after it came out, then bought it the next day.

I started with Link, but quickly moved to Kirby. I've been using Kirby since.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
First played in....December 2007 xD.
Got me psyched for brawl, and I played for 3 hours straight when I first bought it. It's such a good game, and Yoshi's facial expressions in SSB64....priceless

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
I really don't remember. But I do know that I thought Samus was a robot.

Duff0

Smash Ace
Late 99 or 2000, I was 4 and I remember I only used Link. My cousin would come over and we would play all the time. I have one memory of me playing and I was doing classic mode with Link. I had to be like 4 or 5 years old.

Top Bottom