• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your opinion of the Brawl 18 OUTSIDE of Smash? (Part 3)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Part 1: https://smashboards.com/threads/whats-your-opinion-of-the-og-12-outside-of-smash.455902/
Part 2: https://smashboards.com/threads/whats-your-opinion-of-the-melee-14-outside-of-smash-part-2.455977/
Those are still up for you to comment...

Same deal as before but with the Brawl characters. Those are :ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultzss::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:. Like before, the numbering order puts :ultdarkpit: in with this group, but of course I'm excluding him. With :ultpokemontrainer: I'll let you decide if you just want to put all three fighters in that one entry or have separate entries for each Pokemon and even one for the trainer himself if you feel like it.

Tangent here. Now that we got to Brawl, I kind of find it funny how this game is a perfect analogy for my opinions on characters. I have a lot of characters that I love, but it means very little when put up against :ultyoshi:. Sound familiar?

Spoilers tags would be appreciated

Anyways, let's go:

:ultmetaknight:
How appropriate that Meta Knight is the first Brawl newcomer in the numbering system...

Not much to say about him. He's an edgelord in a land of color and cuteness. Doesn't interest me as much as another ambiguously villainous anti-hero in the Kirby universe...

:ultpit:
I was an unbeliever. I didn't care much for Pit in Brawl. There was nothing I could gleam from his character from the old NES game and I thought his inclusion in Smash was bizarre. Complete waste of my time.

And then Uprising came out, and I was Born Again (yes, the religious analogies are intentional).

They could've gone way too serious and give Pit no personality as that was the impression I got from playing Brawl. But holy **** did they ever go above and beyond in making him interesting and quirky and lovable. His lines (and most of the other characters in the game) are ones you don't see coming in a relatively high stake story like Uprising. I also kinda feel sorry for him for the **** that Palutena puts him up to (though I'll get to her soon enough...).

:ultzss:
This is a weird one. Didn't we already talk about Samus in part one? I could just say that everything I said about Samus applies to ZSS, but I feel that this character comes with an asterisk. The Zero Suit shows what it's like for Samus to adapt to situations when her main method of kicking *** is taken away from her. I think that's a neat touch.

:ultwario:
Wario is a bizarrely charming character. I like him

God, my heart's not into these explanations without Yoshi...

:ultsnake:
YAWWWWN!!!

Okay, it's transparently clear that I don't give two ****s about the Metal Gear franchise. But even if I did, I would assume that I would like the absolutely insane plot and the other characters (Raiden, Ocelot, Liquid Snake, Big Boss, Revolver Ocelot, Grey Fox, etc.) over Snake himself. He comes off as the "Mario" of MG, and you know how I feel about him.

:ultike:
It's been a while since I played Path of Radiance, but Ike is pretty okay from what I remember, being one of the few Fire Emblem protagonists who isn't a Lord. He can get kinda preachy sometimes, but I let it slide.

:ultpokemontrainer:
When I think of Pokemon, I don't think of specific Pokemon or "mascots." To me Pokemon trainers are what represent the series the most. Sure the avatar doesn't have much of a personality, but it's not necessary this time around (unlike Link). I am the trainer who goes out on a quest to become the greatest Pokemon Master. And I like me, at least I hope I do. :ohwell:

As for the 3 Pokemon fighters, I like them. Since they're reptiles they certainly rise to the top of my favorites, Charizard in particular. Also, do you find it odd that the 3 starters of the first Pokemon gen are all reptiles? It's like they were trying to pull me specifically in, but failed.

:ultdiddy:
I like Diddy significantly less than Donkey Kong, but he still has a special place in my heart. Being the lead in one of the best games of all time certainly helps out a lot (boom box victory animation. Make it happen Sakurai!!!) People say he's an annoying little **** but other than Smash I don't really get that opinion.

:ultlucas:
I'm gonna be lazy and just say "go play Mother 3." If you didn't have strong feelings about Lucas, you will after playing Mother 3.

:ultsonic:
Feelings about the games and the fanbase aside, Sonic himself is pretty cool. He's pretty consistent in the games no how off-the-rails they get. He's a cocky, self-confident, humorous, no-nonsense hedgehog who wants to go fast. As long as he sticks to those traits I like him. Often self-importance and Super Sonic get in the way, but eh...

:ultkingdedede:
I hate birds and not a fan of the Kirby cast.... Dedede is the exception to both.

It's kind of a shame that he gets sidelined as the main antagonist of the series. He fits in more than [insert generic dark cosmic being here], and honestly that trope is getting old and giving Kirby fans an ego ("Oh, Kirby is the most powerful being and can kick everyone's butt because he takes on so many dark cosmic beings!!!). Dedede will always be the best villain. Only he can pull off being clumsy and goofy without diminishing his capability of being a threat. Bowser can't, Ganondorf can't (see Zelda cartoon), King K. Rool tries but can't, only Dedede. If ever the Smash villains have to fight for a spot in Smash or else get cut, I always root for Dedede.

:ultolimar:
No opinion. Never played Pikmin.

:ultlucario:
FURRY GOKU!!! :troll::yoshi:

But in all seriousness, I think Lucario is just fine.

:ultrob:
The infamous R.O.B., he makes games severely more tedious and convoluted than they should've been. Yeah I know, "saved the video game industry by tricking retailers into thinking the NES was a toy yadda yadda" but that doesn't make him not crap!!!

:ulttoonlink:
This is it. THE Link I care about the most. If it wasn't for this Link, I'd still be a Sony bot to this day (I'd still obsess over Yoshi, but probably not as much). Wind Waker got me into getting a Gamecube and to sell my PlayStation, and boy how it changed my life!!! Link himself actually had a personality for the first time. He has a **** ton of expressions just by standing idle. When he slips and falls on ice, I can actually feel the pain because he emotes so well. I was invested in his journey to save his sister because he showed how much she means to him without saying a word. Skyward Sword Link is a close second for being my favorite Link, but WW Link is number 1.

:ultwolf:
I'm pretty sure he's a good character in Star Fox, but I'm just gonna have to take the fans at their word on this. I know NOTHING about Wolf other than that he's a bad guy, his last name is O'Donnell and there's tons of furry art of him.

Part 4 (Sm4sh 21): https://smashboards.com/threads/whats-your-opinion-of-the-sm4sh-21-outside-of-smash-part-4.456127/

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
:ultmetaknight: - one of my favorite Kirby characters, he's all edgy but in the end he comes off as a dork, and I love these type of characters
:ultpit: - Pit is absolutely goofy and well-spirited in Uprising and I love that.
:ultzss: - Basically, the same as Samus. It's nice to see she doesn't need her Power Suit to fight, though
:ultwario: - He's hilarious, I love him. Plus, for someone that is greedy, the motives behind his gaming company are surprisingly sincere and upfront, with no masking behind.
:ultsnake: - I just finished MGS1 and I'm in love with Snake. He's amazing
:ultike: - His two games are #1 on my list of Nintendo RPGs I want to be remade/ported. All I know he's like the first gay (ok ok Priam or whatever, so he's) bisexual Nintendo protagonist. Which is awesome
:ultpokemontrainer: - I have absolutely no attachment to Red since I never played the Kanto games, plus the Trainers to me are just a reflection of the player
(Squirtle) - Picked it in Go, and in X&Y. Whenever they give you one of the Gen I Poké, I go to it.
(Ivysaur) - It's cute, I guess. I like its evo line.
(Charizard) - I... Really don't care about it. Never understood why it is the fanfavorite Gen I final starter evo, especially when Venusaur and particularly Blastoise exist. I LOVE Mega Charizard X tho
:ultdiddy:- I love Diddy, just like I love most of the DK cast. He's hilarious
:ultlucas: - I still gotta play Mother 3. All I know is that he suffers
:ultsonic: - My childhood hero alongside Mario. I like his kinda cocky attitude, plus I don't think his games nowadays are as bad people make it out to be
:ultkingdedede: - My favorite Kirby character! I prefer his current "clueless" hero portrayal in comparison to him being a villain in the earlier games
:ultolimar: - I like him a lot, especially in his journals when he talks about his family
:ultlucario: - I never played Gen IV, but I like him a lot, and I especially love Mega Lucario. I just have a certain affinity for fighting-types
:ultrob: - I still really want one R.O.B., even if I don't have a NES
:ulttoonlink: - probably my favorite Link. His appearance in Brawl made me want to try Phantom Hourglass and that's the game that made me a Zelda fan, so he's really important to me
:ultwolf: - Probably my favorite Star Fox character, especially after his anti-hero appearance in Assault.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
:ultike: - His two games are #1 on my list of Nintendo RPGs I want to be remade/ported. All I know he's like the first gay Nintendo protagonist. Which is awesome
If he's gay, he sure has some explaining to do to Soren what with his descendant Priam.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
:ultmetaknight: - I always thought he was cool. By far one of the better Kirby characters to me.

:ultpit: - In the Brawl days, I knew he was from the NES game Kid Icarus, but I knew nothing about him as a character. Fast forward to 2012 or so and I played Uprising for the first time. This is where I started to adore Pit as a character, he's so dorky and lovable. Love this guy.

:ultzss: - Samus, but without an arm cannon. Never thought much of it. Liked reg Samus better.

:ultwario: - Wario is amazing. I have so many memories of playing games like WarioWare: Twisted!, Mario Party, and SML2. He's the epitome of greed and disgust, but he manages to pull it off in such a hilarious way I just can't not love the guy.

:ultsnake: - When Brawl came out, I knew who Snake was but nothing more. I never cared to look into his series, I was uninterested, but I did like how he played in Smash. Eventually I played games like MGS2, 3, Rising, and MGSV (both GZ and Phantom Pain) which I found extremely fun and immersive. Snake is a character that's just so cool and enjoyable to have around. I love Raiden and the others too, but Snake... he's just... he's Snake. And that's great.

:ultike: - I knew nothing about him, and I still don't aside from the games that he's from. I remember initially thinking he was basically a cooler, stronger Marth although I still preferred Roy. He's nostalgic to me in the sense that he was a character I came to enjoy seeing in the Smash games, but outside of that I have nothing to say.

:ultpokemontrainer: - I'm gonna bite the bullet and admit I am the farthest thing from a Pokemon fan. I never played them as a kid, and to this day I still don't really care much about them. I do enjoy some of the designs though, at least from the older generations.

:ultdiddy: - Love Donkey Kong Country, love Diddy.

:ultlucas: - Another character I had no knowledge of when Brawl came out. I know a lot more about him now from friends, and I've always liked him over Ness. I seriously need to play Mother 3.

:ultsonic: - Yeah, when Brawl came out, I was right in the middle of my Sonic phase. I loved this guy and his games, and it's a little embarrassing to look back at. Still, I do like Sonic as a fun and stylish character, and while a good, wide portion of his games are questionable in quality, I still appreciate him. Just not to the fanboy extent that I once did.

:ultkingdedede: - Not as cool as MK to me but I always thought he was awesome too.

:ultolimar: - I have little to say about him. Never played Pikmin.

:ultlucario: - See: Pokemon Trainer, but with added Goku.

:ultrob: - I never owned a R.O.B., although I used to have a NES. He was always awesome to me for representing that era of gaming.

:ulttoonlink: - Silly, but charming.

:ultwolf: - Thought he was cool, but y'know, he's not Falco. I played Star Fox 64 a long time ago, I don't remember if he was in that one.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
:ultmetaknight: my favourite video game character currently. He looks cool, sounds cool, has neat abilities, has a kickass sword that breaks the sound barrier when he swings it. He also unleashed my favourite boss character of all time (Galacta Knight) literally just so he could fight and defeat him and in Kirby lore, Galacta Knight was initially locked away because his strength was too great (he defeats the final boss of Planet Robobot in one slash).
:ultpit: Used to hang out at another Smash related site before it went down and on that site, there was a guy who loved Pit. Was a pretty weird dude but thanks to him, everytime I think of Pit, I think of that guy. As for his games, I played but never beat the NES Kid Icarus and I love the gameplay of Uprising but the voices are so ear grating that I couldn't stand to even get past the second level of the game. Overall opinion of him is meh. Would be more positive if it weren't for his voice.
:ultzss: Never played Zero Mission so my only exposure to Samus outside of her suit is the few times in the Prime games she takes her helmet off and Other M. Needless to say, I much prefer suited Samus.
:ultwario: His old voice from the first few Mario Party's was funny but other than that, I don't care for the character.
:ultsnake: Brawl got me into Metal Gear. Played Solid and loved it, played 2 and...liked it but had quite a few issues with it and due to my opinion on 2 and knowing that 3 had survival (like eating) as a part of the gameplay, I stopped after beating 2 despite owning Solid 3 and 4. Snake himself is a pretty cool character and his Solid 1 self is fun to make fun of due to all the questions he asks.
:ultike: One of my favourite video game characters of all time. Radiant Dawn was my first Fire Emblem game and still stands today as my favourite video game ever. I greatly enjoy Ike's character in PoR and RD and his character development in PoR too. He also has a sad backstory, interesting living circumstances, neat outfits, an amazing sword, incredible stats, just overall an amazing character.
:ultpokemontrainer: Was always a Bulbasaur kid growing up so of the three Pokemon, I'm privy most to Ivysaur. Lacks significance in the anime since Ash's Bulbasaur never evolved but I never found his Squirtle to be very interesting and while Charizard is cool, he's also a bit of a ******. Goes from being friendly and obedient as a Charmander to an ******* as a Charmeleon for like, no reason. Ash had numerous badges by that point too and if the excuse is that he wasn't developed as a trainer altogether then how come more of his Pokemon didn't act like Charizard? As for Red, he's a cool "character". I put quotes around that because as the protagonist of RBY/FRLG, he doesn't really have a character outside of saying yes, no, generic Pokemon battle quotes and becoming the champion. What changes him from being like every other Pokemon protagonist to an actual character is what happens in GSC/HGSS. After he becomes champion, he abandons his new title, doesn't even go home and just hangs out on the top of a chilly mountain, waiting for a worthy opponent. And he's like 12-13 at that point.
:ultdiddy: Only DK game I played with Diddy in it was DKCR and as I said on the first part, I never got far in it. Because of this, I'm more exposed to Diddy from Mario games and from those...he's there. (Not even gonna bother to rephrase this but I just remembered that I also played DK64. Evidently don't have great memories of it if I can't even remember that I've played it before). Not as bland as DK design-wise but that's about it.
:ultlucas: Never played Mother 3 so my only exposure to Lucas outside of Smash has been Let's Plays of his game and as I said with Ness, I find his game overrated. The story he's involved in is far more interesting but that's about it.
:ultsonic: My first Sonic games were Heroes, Shadow, Secret Rings and 06 so I started off at pretty much the worst time to with Sonic games. I don't particularly like his personality and his design is just okay to me.
:ultkingdedede: Dedede is alright. Definitely my least favourite of the main 3 but his theme is cool, the mask and hammer he gets in SSU's True Arena is cool and I actually have more memories of him than MK despite liking the latter more. All because D3 appears in Crystal Shards while MK doesn't.
:ultolimar: Never beaten a Pikmin game despite owning all of the numbered titles and I do wanna get Hey! Pikmin. I really enjoyed what I played of 2 and 3 and Olimar's character is shown in a pretty neat way with his opinions on the treasures he gathers in 2 and the letters in 1 and 2 that he gives at the end of every day.
:ultlucario: Can't remember anything from his movie, never got one in DPPt but I did use one in Black 2 and I remember abusing Calm Mind and whatever moves I had on him to cheese two members of the Elite Four.
:ultrob: Never owned one of these as I was an N64 kid so outside of Smash, my exposure to him is the AVGN and I remember enjoying that episode.
:ulttoonlink: Wind Waker is my favourite Zelda game even after playing BotW and it wasn't even one of my childhood games. I love the ocean, love the visuals of the game, the sounds and I love that this Link has a very clear personality with the way he emotes and reacts to everything in the game. Never touched Spirit Tracks and I never got far in Phantom Hourglass but Wind Waker is enough to make me love this Link.
:ultwolf: Used to be my favourite video game character till I went on a Kirby craze and till Starfox went in hibernation for 10 years. I especially love him in Assault, both in the story and in multiplayer. Wolves are my favourite animals in real life and Wolf also has a neat design although it sure does change quite a bit.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
:ultmetaknight: Metaknight -
Because of those friends of mine who had Kirby on GBA, I knew little, but something about Meta, like he was Kirby's father or something. Outside of this, I thought he was a villain, which he was not, apparantly.

I think he is cool, and decent, but the fact that he was broken in Smash makes me like him less, still to this day.

:ultpit: Pit -
I had no idea of what Kid Icarus was. I remember to recall the old Pit trophy in Melee, but it did not hit me when I saw him in Brawl for designers point reasons. I think he has an annoying personality, and that says something for a character that comes with a game which is oozing with it. Dark Pit is the only Pit I play. Pit was **** in Brawl, and slightly better in 4, which is why DP is also my fav of the 2.

:ultzss: Zero Suit Samus -
First I was confused, as she looked epic in the Brawl trailer, which also was the first time I saw her. Confused as to not finding her on the selction screen. It took some time for me to figure it out, so she became a hazzle, and downprioritized. (I know now that you can play with her from the go, don't worry). In Smash 4 she was pretty badass.

Outside of all this I have no comment, which is why I heavily influenced it with Smahs content as there is where I know the character from.

:ultwario: Wario -
I've never really liked Wario, either when it's the Spin-off games, or the WarioWare, the common thing is to always pick beside Wario. His personality is rotten, and I don't like either costumes. I get SOME nostalgic values from his plumber outfit, but other than that I often pick Waluigi, Ashley or Orbulon instead.

I do enjoy the WarioWare games. I think they are creative, challenging and fun to play with friends. Like Smooth Moves.

:ultsnake: Solid Snake -
Never played the Metal Gear games. I got Phantom Pain on the PS3, but saving it for a rainy day. I had heard of the guy before Brawl, by looking at VG Covers. I never thought I'd see him, and I did not feel like he belonged with the cast, EVEN if he was fun to play. Now, with Cloud, Bayonetta and going away from the cartoonish to the more realistic characters, Snake fit very well, how weird, right? He came first, and it felt weird, but now he is back and feels fine?

:ultike: Ike -
Never played a Fire Emblem game, so this will also be based on Smash. I don't like his impish Brawl edition, but the 4 edition was pretty badass. As 4, I like Ike's attitude and mannerism, basically since we LACKED IT, as to his Brawl was just another Marth, Roy, Corrin, Robin, Lucina ...

:ultpokemontrainer: Pokémon Trainer ALONE -
As a huge Pokémon fan it was really fun to see Pokémon trainer. He is the main protagonist in the games, not counting Red alone, but the title. Indeed reflects on one of the most important aspects of recent Nintendo history with Pokémon.

:squirtle: Squirtle -
I was always a Bulbasaur man, but Squirtle came second. I think Squirtle is super cute, and I enjoy having him on the team. I do enjoy the Squirtle line better than the Froakie line.

:ivysaur: Ivysaur -
First evolution after Bulbasaur obviously goes into favor. He is a handy Pokémon to have on your team; Poison Powder, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder and Razor Leaf, who needs more, until Venasaur? A solid choice.

:charizard: Charizard -
EVERYONE and their grandma loved Charizard. I thought he was overrated, even as a child, and couldn't stand Charizard. On the base level of every Pokémon is awesome, I like Charizard, but let it be in context outside of Pokémon, I dislike Charizard. Him taking up the spot in Smash 4, without Ivy and little Squirt made me irritated, really.

:ultdiddy: Diddy Kong -
I remember playing a lot of Diddy Kong racing back in my youth, as well as Donkey Kong Country 1 on the GBC. Diddy was a hip, and cool design, and I love his cameo appearences, wether it is in the spin-off series in Mario, or in DK games themselves, I think Diddy is pretty cool.

:ultlucas: Lucas -
Who now?! Another Smash entry. When I first saw Lucas, and not my boy Ness, I was in a bit of a panic mode. Thinking; "Has this little runt killed my Ness!?", luckily this was not the case, and Lucas was untouched for the most of the series. When he was revealed for Smash 4 DLC, I bought him of course. I wanted all characters, and Lucas was more different from Ness than ever, making him worth trying.

:ultsonic: Sonic -
No denying that I was a huge Sonic fan growing up. Getting Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for my GameCube was the best. I loved the game, the music, the artstyle, Chao Garden, multiplayer, I did not need more. I bought a lot of Sonic games in my time, and I still think Sonic is amazing. I grew up with Sonic X, still we did not have that season when they went to space for some reason.

:ultkingdedede: King Dedede -
Same with Meta on his recognition. I still remember looking at his trophy in Melee thinking; "I want this guy in Smash". A big, cute blue penguin with a giant hammer? OF COURSE kid me wanted this. And comes Brawl and it was granted. I like how he plays, and his clumsyness. He got some weird roles in his main games, but that alone does not kill the character for me.

:ultolimar: Captain Olimar -
I had the original Pikmin on GC, and I liked it. It was a bit difficult at first, but then I figured out the basics and it was fine, and fun. I played the sequal over at a friends house, I was always Olimar, he Louie. I like Olimar, I think he is pretty cool, a chill little dude.

:ultlucario: Lucario -
I did not watch the movie until years later, but I remember him being very hype by others during the Diamond and Pearl games. I remember everyone wanted to find him in the Pokéball candy thing as a mini-figure, and I got him, there I thought he was epic by design, but it was too much for me to evolve him from Riolu, so he is so-so. As design, I really like Lucario, but using? Nah, not a priority.

:ultrob: R.O.B -
What to say about R.O.B? I unlocked him in Mario Kart DS and it was one hell of a difficult task ... Then I see him in Smash. Cool I guess? People did not like R.O.B, and people was hoping to see him cut from Smash 4, like people wanted with WFT for Ultimate. I at that point started to like R.O.B even more, advocating for WHY he should NOT be cut. Since he was unique, and NO ONE could be like him.

:ulttoonlink: Toon Link -
I remember I had some sort of collection on the GameCube, where I could play a demo of Wind Waker, but I did not care, I just played Majora's Mask on it, to be honest. I like the visuals, but most Zelda games does not interest me too much. I think Toon Link is cool tho.

:ultwolf: Wolf O'Donell -
I remember his ugly mug from StarFox 64, and I though he was one of the coolest characters in the game. It always felt like an achievement to take down the StarWolf Team. I've always viewed him as an important character to the series, and a badass one. "Cut me away from the roster, are you? I can't let you do that, Sakurai."

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
:ultmetaknight:: No opinion outside of Smash. I don't really know the Kirby series.

He's really nothing to me in Smash either. I could never play him to save my life in Brawl.

:ultpit:: Dis *****. I hate him with a passion.

Again, no clue of him outside of Smash, but my first encounter with him was when he was announced on the Brawl Dojo, and Sakurai made that comment about how Link had had 20 years to evolve, so he had to make that all up for Pit, and all I heard from that was "we're going to try to leech populartiy off of your favorite character to boost this dude." After Brawl left the Zelda series in the dust, I kept that as my headcanon. Then Sm4sh happened and Kid Icarus got everything, while Zelda got basically nothing.

The most cathartic moment was seeing Link kick his *** in the Paly trailer. He's not my most hated character in the game, though...but he's close.

:ultzss:: Again, never played a Metroid game (this is a running theme here). Also not too big a fan of alternate versions of the same character.

She's definitely lower on my list than her armored form.

:ultwario:: I know him mostly from the Mario spinoffs, so the biker outfit is weird to me. I've gotten used to it. Still, as a Mario knockoff, who isn't on top of my favorites pile anyway, he's really nothing special to me.

Out of the four Mario spinoff lookalikes, he'd probably my least favorite, but honestly none of them are that high to begin with.

:ultsnake:: Never played Metal Gear, so the hype moment at that E3 was lost on me. All I could think of at the time was "Who tf is this, and what is he doing in Smash?" I've read up on it a bit, but it really isn't my kind of game series.

His absence was what did it for me though. With all of the new 3rd parties, I did start to miss him, even if he was unfitting to begin with.

:ultike:: Another one I haven't played, but this character really stuck for me. I suppose at some point I should pick up a Fire Emblem game, but that's antoher genre that I don't easily get into.

Still, after Smash though - he's awesome. He was one of my top 5 in Brawl and probably #3 in Sm4sh (swole Ike is best Ike).

:ultpokemontrainer:: G. E. N. I. U. S! I loved Pokémon as a kid, and I started with Red/Blue. Like everyone else, I took a Charmander as my starter (nicknamed "Charmie"), but I did like all of the starters. Squirtle was always the cutest, but I had to have a Charizard in my life. When the Dojo announced that we were getting a transformation character with my favorite end-form starter AND my favorite first-form starter...I was over the moon. That was the best idea since I didn't see it coming at all, and I enjoyed every second of the Trainer in Smash. Sm4sh was ruined for me for not bringing any of my wanted and losing Squirtle.

And now he's BACK! Top three, easily, and has a chance to get to #2.

:ultdiddy:: The only DK game I’ve played is DK64, and I finally sat down and beat it. As a kid, Diddy was my favorite, but he started to cool off as I started liking Tiny, Lanky, and Chunky more (assists pls?). Still, I liked all the kongs more than Donkey. Fun game, but I don’t have too big of a connection to the Kongs. I do like that his moveset references 64 a lot.

Now, he’s around Donkey in my personal ranking. Not too special, but he’s ok.

:ultlucas:: And again, haven’t played anthing Mother. All I know of Lucas is from Brawl and that he’s Ness but a wuss.

He’s sitting pretty low on my like charts.

:ultsonic:: My first video game ever was Sonic 2 on Genesis, so Sonic was my childhood, not Mario. Not that I was that good at it... Still, I liked Sonic purely for the nostalgia favtor, and the fact that the Sega/Nintendo rivalry was so big in the 90s make Sonic fit much better than any other third party. Hoping for Tails since I liked to play as Miles more than the blue guy.

Sonic’s decently high on my list, higher than Mario for sure. Hope he gets his memetic taunt back though.

:ultkingdedede:: See Meta Knight. I don’t know the series, and ‘Penguin Santa Claus’ just doesn’t come off as an interesting character design.

I have him as the lowest of the Kirby characters now...which aren’t really high to begin with.

:ultolimar:: Another game I never played. I don’t really have any opinions about him.

Because of that, he ends up pretty low on my scale.

:ultlucario:: I’ll admit, I’m a minor genwunner in that I started with Gen 1 and Gen 2 is my favorite, but Gen 3 left a really bad taste in my mouth. Gen 4 was getting back on track, but I didn’t feel the same connection anymore.

Lucario looks awesome, but he was a bit annoying to me for two major reasons: he was that generation’s in-your-face marketed Pokémon, and I dislike promoted characters on principle; and he was similar enough to Mewtwo that he ended up being a replacement Scrappy. With time (and Mewtwo’s return) I got to care more for Lucario in the same way I cooled off on Pikachu. Lucario also managed to do that a lot faster, as I had him on my team by the end of playing D/P.

But Lucario is just inherently cool in the first place, so he’s pretty high on my chart.

:ultrob:: Srsly, wtf. My first Nintendo console was the N64, so a lot of the (S)NES stuff is lost on me. I didn’t need this weird robot in the slightest. Especially once they gave it a bizarre backstory.

ROB is one of those sitting in the trash heal for me.

:ulttoonlink:: Dear Nintendo, WTF did you do to Zelda? Sincerely, Cap.

I loathe the cel-shaded design, and I don’t need to pick up any handheld Zelda games. Zelda feels best on the big screen, so Twilight Princess was the real GCN Zelda game. I actually refused to pick up Wind Waker for ages because of that. Finally got it on a bonus disc, and played until I had to deal with that weirdo Tingle and then gave in. Tingle worked in Majora’s Mask, but is otherwise too weird. I finally finished the HD remake on the WiiU, mainly because they did minimize Tingle. Ok story but absolutely fantastic soundtrack. Hope Pirate Ship comes back so we have a good stage for all of that ear candy.

PS: Hyrule Warriors remixes of WW songs are pute gold.

Goon Link still isn’t much for me, and now that I’ve got Young Link back, I don’t need that fake one.

:ultwolf:: No connection to Star Fox, but I do like Fox himself. Wolf as a villain does seem pretty cool. I’m excited that he’ll be back.

He’s pretty high on my list.

Enchess

Smash Lord
:ultmetaknight:: He's pretty cool. My preferred method of Kirby-ing is getting an ability I like then trying to hold onto it as long as possible. Meta Knight is basically that as an official game mode in the games where he's playable. I'm also in general fond of characters that try to be cute and bad*** as the same time.
:ultpit:: I actually loved him before Brawl. Original Kid Icarus is my favorite NES platformer and I projected quite a lot of personality onto Pit. Now that I've played Uprising though he drives me crazy. I don't find his jokes funny or his personality endearing.
:ultzss:: ZSS pretty much exists to show how awesome :ultsamus: is, with or without the suit. I love :ultsamus:, so I love :ultzss:.
:ultwario:: I used to hate him, but then I played Wario Land 4 and now I love him and need an HD remake for Switch. He's just a fun character.
:ultsnake:: Couldn't care less about him. I find him boring.
:ultike:: I loved FE GBA and Sacred Stones so much. I really liked Awakening and Shadow Dragon. The Radiance games on the other hand never clicked with me and I've always hated Ike by association... even though I love him in Smash.
:ultpokemontrainer:: :008: is my favorite starter Pokemon ever, so I love :007: because he has the great fortune of evolving into the best starter. :006: is really nostalgic for me because he was my first ever Pokemon. :002: is ok I guess. I prefer it over :001: or :003:, but still...eh.
:ultdiddy:: DKC2 is my favorite platformer ever. DK64 is my favorite N64 game. :ultdiddy:was my favorite in both of those. I love pretty much everything about him from visual design to gameplay to personality. 10/10
:ultlucas:: I still haven't played Mother 3. I like his design well enough. It's not quite as charming as :ultness:'s, but still good.
:ultsonic:: I liked him until they started giving him dialog and personality. No longer a fan.
:ultkingdedede:: He's ok. Not nearly as memorable as :ultbowser:,:ultridley:,:ultwolf:,:ultganondorf:, K Rool, or Metal Face as a villain. Still feels awkward and out of place to me as an ally.
:ultolimar:: I like him a lot, but he's my least favorite Pikmin captain design wise though.
:ultlucario:: He looks cool, but I have no further love of him than that. I never bothered getting him in Pokemon. I never watched any parts of the anime that he was in.
:ultrob:: Never had one. Seems like a cool ahead of it's time idea that came too soon to realize the vision, like half of what Nintendo does.
:ulttoonlink:: Hey, Link kinda sorta has a personality now, but still not really.
:ultwolf:: Favorite Star Fox character. I regularly respond to things with "Can't let you do that, Star Fox!" while trying to imitate his voice and it drives my wife crazy. N64 version is the best version of the character because 1) eyepatch >>>>>>> weird visor thing and 2) his voice actor went a really strange direction with his voice in that game and I find its unnatural sound kinda charming.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I believe Brawl had the best set of newcomers of any Smash title. It has a great balance of sorely missing characters and obscure picks.
While I dislike a few of them, I cannot deny they deserve the spot.

He's okay, I suppose? In his game he plays like the "Sword" ability, one of the less interesting ones. Swords simply arn't very interesting weapons. It's funny that he offers you a sword before fights, but if you try to attack him instead, he kicks the sword away.

I quite dislike what he's become.
Frankly, I hate the writing in KI:U. The characters are obnoxious, the plot is a mess and the humor relies too much on recognizing a reference, which is never a good thing to do in writing (if the joke doesn't work if the viewer doesn't get the reference, that's a poorly made joke).

Odd pick. In the only game you play as her you just want to get the Power Suit back, since you're vulnerable without it. It's just so odd that in Smash she's better than her regular form.

What a funny little lad!
The way he moves and rides his bike, he could never make me mad!

While I've never played his games and think Kojima is a very overrated dev, I'm glad he's here! He's making so many people happy!

I don't know anything about Fire Emblem at all!
But how could you hate someone who gives his all for his friends?

I am so delighted! I feel I should go in-depth on every single 'mon!
-:squirtle:
--He's nice, I suppose? Not my style, but some hold him close!
-:ivysaur:
--My beautiful baby girl, how did I ever do without her?
-:charizard:
--He's very big and feels quite clunky. No thank you, I'll pass.

I never cared much for DKs character design, they're just primates with some clothes.
But there's many people who are glad it's him they chose.

This wonderful kid! The hero of my favorite game!
If you were ever cut, it'd be such a shame!

I love this guy, he's got some style!
He's also the protagonist of the first video game I've ever played!

A handsome man, he's well defined!
With a bod like that, you're divine!

A strange fellow stranded in a strange world.
While I've never played this series, it's aesthetics make a biology enthusiast such as me smile!

My least favorite 'mon, such a shame!
Can't you see those colors just don't match at all? What's with the tires and the spikes?
All I can do is call out "Yikes!".

What a pick! Such an odd accessory, converted into a fighting machine!
Anyone against this inclusion must be as sour as a rotten lemon.

I wish more games tried to make cool artstyles using cel-shading.

A cocky foe, that's for sure!
While I'm usually not interested in mammals, his personality is what makes him shine!

I made some of them rhyme, because that's fun.

Arthur97

Smash Master
If he's gay, he sure has some explaining to do to Soren what with his descendant Priam.
People like to make that claim despite Priam. You're probably wasting your time presenting evidence unless they're just unaware as they will probably believe what they want to.

Last edited:

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
I'm gonna break the order a bit and save a certain someone for last, this one will have the most text since a lot of these are near and dear to my heart.

Oh Meta Knight, this guy is an absolute badass, like seriously he makes batman look like a wimp and makes Ridley look like a pansy. He's absolutely amazing and I freaking love him, he's also really fun to play as in Kirby games, like he just shreds through opponents with little effort, and he's just so enjoyable.

I really don't know enough about this guy, I know he's funny and I know his series is great, especially thanks to Sakurai's work. but i just don't have much of an opinion on him because i don't know enough.

She's cool Go see my Power Suit Samus one for more information.

Wario is greedy, disgusting, rude.... AND WE ALL LOVE HIM FOR IT. It Like seriously who doesn't like Wario? He's just got everything you need to make a character who both grosses you out and makes you love him more, Wario Land and WarioWare are both amazing series, they show just how good Wario is, Wario Land is especially a great series because Nintendo managed to make a better Mario game without Mario. When it comes to the humans of the Mushroom Kingdom, Wario is always my first pick. (that is until either Ashley or Jimmy T get into a Mario spin-off)

Snake is someone that i only knew about because of Smash in my younger years, and i still have yet to play a Metal Gear game, so i can't say much.... but i really like Snake

I know nothing about Fire Emblem

I don't have an opinion on Red TBH. but i'll quickly go over his Pokemon. Squirtle is cool but i wish Blastoise was added instead, Ivysaur's ok and I like Charizard but prefer Charmeleon.

I really enjoy seeing Diddy in Mario games, he's not even a Mario character but he's so iconic that he transcends his own series and is now a regular in another, like seriously though Diddy is just such a well known and loved character that Mario would not be the same without him, I don't want to know what Donkey Kong would be without Diddy either.

Kongs in general for some reason charm me, I'm not the biggest Donkey Kong Country fan but every single Kong appeals to me as a likeable and enjoyable character, whether they're Funky or Chunky, Cranky or Lanky, Kongs just make every game they appear in twice as good.

Haven't played Mother 3 yet, will probably like him more after playing it.

Sonic used to be one of my favourite series, i still love it but now i'm all for Kirby, Pikmin and Smash. Sonic himself is still enjoyable as a character IMO, but i have little else to say about him, he's just an enjoyable character and one that'd be pleasant to be around

If you want to see my anylasis on :ultkingdedede:now, skip to the end of the comment

Now this is the face of my childhood, I first found out about Olimar from Brawl, and i just thought he looked cool, didn't see much special, then i decided to look into his games.... he's now one of my favourite heroes in Nintendo history. Olimar is so enjoyable as a character, unlike the constantly happy Mario, or Link who just says "HIYAH!" all the time and kills pigmen, Olimar has indepth character, he's a middle aged man who cares for his family, is a big greedy at times and does get his Pikmin in harms way but he does care about the Pikmin and tries to keep them alive and well.

Eh, he's kinda cool but he only got in due to one movie, glad he's still in Smash tho... despite loving Pokemon i have little to say about him in Pokemon regards.

He's definitely something i'd want to own but he'd just be a collectors item and i probably wouldn't get the games.

Link with personality... that alone makes him the best Link IMO

He's my favourite StarFox character no contest, I just ****ing love Wolf like seriously he's a badass, Wolf is probably the main reason i felt Sm4sh was incomplete, such an easy character to add but left out... but that's besides the point. Wolf's just plain AWESOME

:dedede:I've held off on this because this is gonna be a big one... it's about time i got to tell you why i like a certain someone so much:4dedede:
Oh boy, where do I start with Dedede? my absolute favourite character in all of fiction, no contest. Dedede means a lot to me as he was the first character that i've actually deeply cared about as a person (Marx and Bowser later joined the bandwagon.), Dedede is a character who makes me smile just by the mention of his name because he's just perfect, his design gives off a caring and cuddly vibe, he's really cute in appearance and his Blue/Red/Yellow contrast to his design makes him appealing to look at. A mallet is a weapon that you don't see as often as a Sword or Axe which makes him feel unique and different from most other weapon users in the series.

Dedede is also one of the few examples of a character who develops over the games the appears in, in Dreamland he is a selfish snob who steals the food of the citizens, and by the end of Super Star he presumably changes his ways and becomes the Dedede we've all grown to know and love today. Only time he does evil are the countless times he's been possessed or blamed for things he never even did, poor *******. Dedede just means so much to me as a person, I don't know every reason why but one thing i sure do know is that Dedede is near and dear to my heart and will ALWAYS be my favourite character in fiction.

Dedede, keep on clobbarin!

From fave to least fave
:ultkingdedede:_____:ultmetaknight:___:ultwario: :ultolimar: :ultwolf: :ultdiddy: :ultsonic: :charizard: :ultsnake: :ultzss: :squirtle: :ivysaur: :ultlucario: :ultlucas: :ulttoonlink: :ultike:/:ultpokemontrainer:/:ultpit: :ultrob:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm gonna break the order a bit and save a certain someone for last, this one will have the most text since a lot of these are near and dear to my heart.

Oh Meta Knight, this guy is an absolute badass, like seriously he makes batman look like a wimp and makes Ridley look like a pansy. He's absolutely amazing and I freaking love him, he's also really fun to play as in Kirby games, like he just shreds through opponents with little effort, and he's just so enjoyable.

I really don't know enough about this guy, I know he's funny and I know his series is great, especially thanks to Sakurai's work. but i just don't have much of an opinion on him because i don't know enough.

She's cool Go see my Power Suit Samus one for more information.

Wario is greedy, disgusting, rude.... AND WE ALL LOVE HIM FOR IT. It Like seriously who doesn't like Wario? He's just got everything you need to make a character who both grosses you out and makes you love him more, Wario Land and WarioWare are both amazing series, they show just how good Wario is, Wario Land is especially a great series because Nintendo managed to make a better Mario game without Mario. When it comes to the humans of the Mushroom Kingdom, Wario is always my first pick. (that is until either Ashley or Jimmy T get into a Mario spin-off)

Snake is someone that i only knew about because of Smash in my younger years, and i still have yet to play a Metal Gear game, so i can't say much.... but i really like Snake

I know nothing about Fire Emblem

I don't have an opinion on Red TBH. but i'll quickly go over his Pokemon. Squirtle is cool but i wish Blastoise was added instead, Ivysaur's ok and I like Charizard but prefer Charmeleon.

I really enjoy seeing Diddy in Mario games, he's not even a Mario character but he's so iconic that he transcends his own series and is now a regular in another, like seriously though Diddy is just such a well known and loved character that Mario would not be the same without him, I don't want to know what Donkey Kong would be without Diddy either.

Kongs in general for some reason charm me, I'm not the biggest Donkey Kong Country fan but every single Kong appeals to me as a likeable and enjoyable character, whether they're Funky or Chunky, Cranky or Lanky, Kongs just make every game they appear in twice as good.

Haven't played Mother 3 yet, will probably like him more after playing it.

Sonic used to be one of my favourite series, i still love it but now i'm all for Kirby, Pikmin and Smash. Sonic himself is still enjoyable as a character IMO, but i have little else to say about him, he's just an enjoyable character and one that'd be pleasant to be around

If you want to see my anylasis on :ultkingdedede:now, skip to the end of the comment

Now this is the face of my childhood, I first found out about Olimar from Brawl, and i just thought he looked cool, didn't see much special, then i decided to look into his games.... he's now one of my favourite heroes in Nintendo history. Olimar is so enjoyable as a character, unlike the constantly happy Mario, or Link who just says "HIYAH!" all the time and kills pigmen, Olimar has indepth character, he's a middle aged man who cares for his family, is a big greedy at times and does get his Pikmin in harms way but he does care about the Pikmin and tries to keep them alive and well.

Eh, he's kinda cool but he only got in due to one movie, glad he's still in Smash tho... despite loving Pokemon i have little to say about him in Pokemon regards.

He's definitely something i'd want to own but he'd just be a collectors item and i probably wouldn't get the games.

Link with personality... that alone makes him the best Link IMO

He's my favourite StarFox character no contest, I just ****ing love Wolf like seriously he's a badass, Wolf is probably the main reason i felt Sm4sh was incomplete, such an easy character to add but left out... but that's besides the point. Wolf's just plain AWESOME

:dedede:I've held off on this because this is gonna be a big one... it's about time i got to tell you why i like a certain someone so much:4dedede:
Oh boy, where do I start with Dedede? my absolute favourite character in all of fiction, no contest. Dedede means a lot to me as he was the first character that i've actually deeply cared about as a person (Marx and Bowser later joined the bandwagon.), Dedede is a character who makes me smile just by the mention of his name because he's just perfect, his design gives off a caring and cuddly vibe, he's really cute in appearance and his Blue/Red/Yellow contrast to his design makes him appealing to look at. A mallet is a weapon that you don't see as often as a Sword or Axe which makes him feel unique and different from most other weapon users in the series.

Dedede is also one of the few examples of a character who develops over the games the appears in, in Dreamland he is a selfish snob who steals the food of the citizens, and by the end of Super Star he presumably changes his ways and becomes the Dedede we've all grown to know and love today. Only time he does evil are the countless times he's been possessed or blamed for things he never even did, poor *******. Dedede just means so much to me as a person, I don't know every reason why but one thing i sure do know is that Dedede is near and dear to my heart and will ALWAYS be my favourite character in fiction.

Dedede, keep on clobbarin!

From fave to least fave
:ultkingdedede:_____:ultmetaknight:___:ultwario::ultolimar::ultwolf::ultdiddy::ultsonic::charizard::ultsnake::ultzss::squirtle::ivysaur::ultlucario::ultlucas::ulttoonlink::ultike:/:ultpokemontrainer:/:ultpit::ultrob:
It a;ways warms my heart to see people whose favorite character means more than just a personal interest, but a deep connection. That's why I started these threads...

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
:metaknight: He’s cool I guess
:pit:Never played his game thought he looked dumb in melee as a trophy
:zerosuitsamus: Never played much Metroid meh she’s cool
:warioc: I like him for some reason
:snake: I like him
:dedede: meh
:ike: Never saw his game stores
:pt: I don’t like Pokémon the gameplay is slow and pretty bland and every new game the. Introduce some cool new thing then cut it next game it’s annoying
:lucario: I should be more clear I like Pokémon as characters they look cool cut ect but don’t I can’t stand the games or the show
:lucas: I want to play mother 3 so I like him
:diddy: Love diddy DKC2 is the best of the three
:olimar: meh Alright
:rob: Never heard of him before brawl
:toonlink: I don’t want to see him become the main face of link but I don’t hate him
:wolf: Like him
:sonic: I don’t say I like him publicly but I find sonic better then Mario yes I was a sonic kid

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
:ultmetaknight: - Some dark rival of the protagonist archetype in a land of cuteness. Kind of my least favourite archetype. Have a friend who adores him, but he's my least favourite of the main four in Kirby.

:ultpit: - I played the original Kid Icarus and loved it. Ironically I hate Uprising with it's jokes that don't land for me, memetic 'humour' and wonky controls. Medusa got robbed in that game too. Pit himself is okay but I think I preferred him voiceless as his modern voice irritates me more than a dozen Slippys, Toads and Tingles all screaming simultaneously into a megaphone into my eardrum.

:ultzss: - It's Samus but with less practical clothes. There isn't much more to say. Respect the character but just couldn't get into Metroid.

:ultwario: - Love Warioware, Wario in the spinoff games is a lot of fun, but couldn't get on with Wario Land's mechanics. Wario himself is a rare example of that 'dark rival' archetype done right as it takes Mario's qualities and tweaks to absurd limits instead of just making it a more broody or badass version of the original.

:ultsnake: - Snake is funnier than he has any right to be considering his franchise looks serious. That said I still don't care for him or his game's ridiculous plots much.

:ultike: - Don't really have one. My sister adores him and has played his games to death, so I sort of know about him through her. Seems like the kind of naive shonen hero protagonist I want to dislike but just can't.

:ultpokemontrainer: - I don't really feel anything for Red, but Pokemon Trainer OCs are fun and Squirtle and Ivysaur are some of my preferred starters of their types. Squirtle was my very first Pokemon so he means a lot to me.

:ultdiddy: - My favourite DK character honestly(closely followed by Dixie). He's very entertaining and totally upstages DK every time the two are together.

:ultlucas: - Literal who? Probably my least favourite of the Smash roster; a character we're never going to get to experience the game of officially. At least Roy may get a remake in the far future.

:ultsonic: - I grew up with this guy more than Mario, which is weird considering how much I love the Mario franchise as an adult. Sonic was my jam as a kid, and probably one of the only franchises I can truly say affected me growing up aside from Pokemon and Mario. Sonic himself is fine, but I always more of a fan of Tails. Still, second place isn't bad at all considering Mario's only my 5th favourite Mario character.

:ultkingdedede: - Second favourite Kirby character of the main four(third fave overall), Dedede is over the top and ridiculous and I love him for it.

:ultolimar: - He exists, but I rarely remember Pikmin's a franchise. Whenever I make a roster I do forget Olimar an embarrasing amount of times.

:ultlucario: - One of my most favourite Gen 4 Pokemon. But since Gen 4 was my least favourite gen to date that's not saying much. Still, he's stood the test of time and I think he's kind of neat?

:ultrob: - Can respect his legacy, but don't much care for him overall. The retro/wtf pick I forget most.

:ulttoonlink: - Stars in 3/3 of my favourite Zelda games(Wind Waker, Four Sword Adventures and Minish Cap if curious) and was added to Hyrule Warriors my other favourite Zelda game later. Expressive and adorable, the only Link I genunely like, although it's weird when there's multiple different styles of Link in any game.

:ultwolf: - Another dark rival archetype. "Can't let you do that Starfox" is one of my favourite meme lines from Starfox, but that's about it. Again, not super familiar with Starfox, but he's my favourite of the three spacies to play in Smash.

PF9

Smash Lord
Charizard is probably my favorite non-mammal Pokemon. He's also my second favorite of Ash's Pokemon. I would be lying however if I said I preferred obedient Charizard however. Charizard's best moments in the anime actually came when he was rebellious, and I could actually relate to that, being something of a rebel myself growing up.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
:ultmetaknight: - Revenge of Meta Knight is the best subgame in Kirby Super Star. Fight me!
:ultpit: - Well I played his game. Weird controls and all. My memories are too hazy to recall anything significant. I like Dark Pit's theme.
:ultzss: - I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
:ultwario:- More familiar with Warioware than Wario Land. Not my fault Nintendo didn't make a bunch of Wario Land games that could've caught my eye or my brothers.
:ultsnake: - I may have played MGS1, but it was the Gamecube remake. I never touched the original PS1 version. Never touched MGS4 either.
:ultike: - And here is someone that wasn't phased by the vote splitting of the Fire Emblem popularity poll back in 2017. In fact, both his Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn incarnations ranked 1st and 5th respectively in the Males bracket. Both were in the top 10 overall with RD Ike claiming 10th. Marth may be the first FE lord, but to call him THE face of Fire Emblem is not quite accurate. He shares that title with the likes of Ike, Lyn, & Lucina to name a few. Hell, you could argue Reinhardt became one thanks to the infamy he gained in Fire Emblem Heroes as an OHKO unit.
:ultpokemontrainer: - A better success story than Ash Ketchum. Ash wished he wasn't the worst Pokemon Trainer to ever exist. All because his journey would be over if he did win a Pokemon League, the anime won't retire him. NO ****! You got all these other characters you could use to mix things up. I would've been fine if Ash lost the Kanto League if it meant he lost to Gary and Gary wins the whole thing. Ash can go through a redemption arc in the Johto region and defeat Gary as the Johto League finals. Plus, I don't think winning a Pokemon League means you become a Pokemon Master. There's more to it than just winning. Which could've been a neat thing to show Ash.
:ultdiddy: - Most of my experience with the SNES DKC games was with Diddy Kong's Quest. Now, the save files I played were my brothers so I never truly played it to completion. A shame DKC2 wasn't added to the SNES Classic.
:ultlucas: - His game is a joke. Any leak that claims Mother 3 is happening is automatically fake.
:ultsonic: - Chao Garden is the best Sonic game ever made. If you say otherwise, you're probably one of those people who unironically likes Sonic 06.
:ultolimar: - Pikmin 2 is the best. That is all.
:ultlucario:- Platinum was what got me to actually play the Pokemon games after ignoring it for years. That game holds a special place in my heart.
:ultrob: - shulk_shrug.png
:ulttoonlink: - Well I didn't play Wind Waker or any of the games this version of Link is in.
:ultwolf: - Hails from the best Star Fox ever made. The entire script is memorable.
:ultkingdedede: - Leaked Ultimate song to play at the new Castle Dedede stage. Because I watched the Kirby anime as a kid, I can't not think of Dedede speaking with that southern accent of his. Who would win in weight lifting content? Buff Dedede or Buffsuki?

Last edited:

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
:ultmetaknight: - Revenge of Meta Knight is the best subgame in Kirby Super Star. Fight me!
:ultpit: - Well I played his game. Weird controls and all. My memories are too hazy to recall anything significant. I like Dark Pit's theme.
:ultzss: - I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
:ultwario:- More familiar with Warioware than Wario Land. Not my fault Nintendo didn't make a bunch of Wario Land games that could've caught my eye or my brothers.
:ultsnake: - I may have played MGS1, but it was the Gamecube remake. I never touched the original PS1 version. Never touched MGS4 either.
:ultike: - And here is someone that wasn't phased by the vote splitting of the Fire Emblem popularity poll back in 2017. In fact, both his Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn incarnations ranked 1st and 5th respectively in the Males bracket. Both were in the top 10 overall with RD Ike claiming 10th. Marth may be the first FE lord, but to call him THE face of Fire Emblem is not quite accurate. He shares that title with the likes of Ike, Lyn, & Lucina to name a few. Hell, you could argue Reinhardt became one thanks to the infamy he gained in Fire Emblem Heroes as an OHKO unit.
:ultpokemontrainer: - A better success story than Ash Ketchum. Ash wished he wasn't the worst Pokemon Trainer to ever exist. All because his journey would be over if he did win a Pokemon League, the anime won't retire him. NO ****! You got all these other characters you could use to mix things up. I would've been fine if Ash lost the Kanto League if it meant he lost to Gary and Gary wins the whole thing. Ash can go through a redemption arc in the Johto region and defeat Gary as the Johto League finals. Plus, I don't think winning a Pokemon League means you become a Pokemon Master. There's more to it than just winning. Which could've been a neat thing to show Ash.
:ultdiddy: - Most of my experience with the SNES DKC games was with Diddy Kong's Quest. Now, the save files I played were my brothers so I never truly played it to completion. A shame DKC2 wasn't added to the SNES Classic.
:ultlucas: - His game is a joke. Any leak that claims Mother 3 is happening is automatically fake.
:ultsonic: - Chao Garden is the best Sonic game ever made. If you say otherwise, you're probably one of those people who unironically likes Sonic 06.
:ultolimar: - Pikmin 2 is the best. That is all.
:ultlucario:- Platinum was what got me to actually play the Pokemon games after ignoring it for years. That game holds a special place in my heart.
:ultrob: - shulk_shrug.png
:ulttoonlink: - Well I didn't play Wind Waker or any of the games this version of Link is in.
:ultwolf: - Hails from the best Star Fox ever made. The entire script is memorable.
You forgot :ultkingdedede:m8.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
He's my main, of course I have a lot to say. I've never had a role model in my life, but Meta Knight comes the closest to that funnily enough. Kirby's Adventure is one of my childhood games, so it might have had a bigger impact on me than some other people. Meta Knight always was cool to me, because outside of the final bosses, he's usually the only serious/darker tone character in the game and he looks awesome with his armor, wings and Galaxia. I get the impression in a land where everyone is lazy, he's the only one that tries his best and it makes him stick out more. If everyone in Kirby was as serious as him, he wouldn't be as interesting (but still interesting). Ridley has a lot of things I like about Meta Knight, but since everything looks menacing in Super Metroid, It's a bit harder to feel threatened by Ridley because you've been dulled down by fighting all the other monstrosities in Metroid (Ridley is still threatening in Super Metroid though because he's super fast, and his fight is really far away from any saves, and if you're too lazy to grind for health, you'll be low on ammo+health when you fight him). I was always so curious about the motives of Meta Knight because he gives you Hyper Candy from time to time, but to then sick his knights on you. Then when it gets to his boss fight, he has his back turned to you, with the sword saying "get it". I was confused, but got the sword anyways. Then when he drew his sword I was like "This is awesome! Are we like fighting on equal fighting level now!?". I've never heard the concept of a duel in my life before I saw the Meta Knight fight. Then he just absolutely wrecked me for a while, and he took most of my lives as he is the most difficult thing in Kirby's Adventure. Then when you defeat him, it shows that he's just a black version of Kirby and I was like "WHAT!? Do you mean I can be just as cool and awesome as him if I just keep training to get better with the sword!?". I don't know the exact reasons why I try so hard in life to get better and improve, even if at first I may fail, but that fight is definitely one of those major reasons. Then I always just love Meta Knight in other games because he's always the hardest boss, despite not being the final boss. He's always very intimidating to fight and I love feeling that intimidation (and in smash, I love causing that intimidation). Seeing him be #1 in Brawl I was like "ah, so his reputation of being the hardest character in every game continues". Also that voice they gave him in Smash is perfect. Like Melee Mewtwo, In Smash 4 I wanted to main Meta Knight, even though I consistently did worse than literally every other character in the roster for the longest time. However unlike Melee Mewtwo, I was able to force myself to play Meta Knight long enough to the point where he's my best character, and my other normal characters feels weak compared to him now. Yeah, I can easily say Meta Knight is my favorite character on the Smash roster. There might be some obscure Nintendo character I like more (probably some 1 off), but it's pretty hard to top Meta Knight. Meta Knight is easilly my favorite recurring Nintendo character.

Not a fan of the goodie goodie two shoes type of personality. His blissful unawareness of certain things in the couple scenes I saw from his game made me want to curl up in a ball. Not saying I can't enjoy characters for being nice and such, but Pit goes a little too far from what I've seen (Kinda like how Jigglypuff goes too far with being "cute"). With that said, his bow turning into daggers/swords is friggin awesome and was a huge reason why I wanted to use him in Smash because I like unique weapon concepts (even if it is just putting 2 weapons into one). Never played his games but would like to try because they look fun.

I never played any of the games where the Zero Suit appears so at first I was like "Really? What's with the fan service?". Afterall, the first thing you see of her is a close up of her booty and boobs before she gets out of the vent in subspace emissary. While I do like seeing moments of characters being serious, characters that are 24/7 serious tend to bore me and don't seem interesting. I do like her though, just because there are moments where her seriousness is pretty cool.... Note: I have not played other M. So I don't know if I will like how she was in that. (Though the authorization mechanic seems kinda dumb. What's going to get harmed if Samus uses her varia suit in the lava sector?)

Greedy, fat, disgusting. Safe to say I do hate him from time to time. However, occassionally I will see the other sides of him that make him a strangely charming character in the cartoony way. I've never played any of his games.... Unless you played Super Mario Land 2 (which I did beat, and man is he different in that game.

I really don't know anything about Snake. I used to think he was just a generic soldier of some generic FPS game. So I hated him for that for the longest time. That is until Psycho Mantis said "Super Mario Sunshine" in some random video, making me curious who Psycho Mantis was, then I looked at the Metal Gear Series because of him. Then I realize that while Metal Gear can be serious sometimes, it has a lot of funny crap in it. So now I love it........ With that said, outside of a few random scenes, I've only seen a full playthrough of Metal Gear Rising ('cause of 2 Best Friends playthrough of it). I could probably get into the metal gear series. I have a hard time believing I'll think Snake is an awesome character though. Perhaps I just need a shift my lens on how I view him. His character is essentially being Batman, except he goes on team missions much more frequently than batman it seems.

Like Marth and Ike, He's just another generic swordsman from Fire Emblem. I really can't care about him outside of smash. I've yet to play a fire emblem game. (Mobile doesn't count, That has too much grind in it for me).

I don't care for pokemon trainer him/herself as there's nothing that stands out about them at all. Squirtle I like only because I remember liking the squirtle squad as a kid (even if it was for those triangular shades looking cool). Ivysaur is okay, but i never noticed his existence outside of smash because that's the fate of many middle evolutions of pokemon because they get outshined by their pre evolved and evolved forms. Charizard I love a lot because dragons. Sometimes you don't need a deep reason to love a character. Safe to say charmander was my choice in fire red (In gen 1 I played with pokemon yellow. So pikachu was forced on me). Gotta say, having metal claw made killing Brock pretty easy.

Diddy is one of those weird characters that when looking at the game itself, I like Diddy a lot because he's more interesting than Donkey Kong so I'd pick him anytime. Though if I look at him outside of his games, he's just a monkey with a hat so I don't like him. Still haven't played a Donkey Kong game (minus doing a 3v1 in one of the 64 games).

Lucas is just a kid. However, he's a depressed kid in an apocalyptic world from the sounds of things, so that earns him some brownie points with me. Never played the Earthbound/Mother series. Perhaps someday that will change. Maybe someday Nintendo will release Mother 3. I really like the concept behind Masked Man (well, with what I know of it). I'm sure there's a lot of other interesting things.

Sonic is a character I used to hate growing up because he just seemed like the stereotypical "good guy". However, with his theme song "It Doesn't Matter" from Sonic Adventure 1 made me warm up to him a lot, and the later I go on in life the more I relate to that song as well. So the combo of him not caring about things and just being an overall cool dude that has your back just makes me like him a bunch now. Also, I might be getting stuff mixed up, but I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of little lines implying that Sonic just wants to keep doing what he loves, even if people hate him for just having fun. I quite like that. I've played a lot of Sonic games. I love all of them, even if there is some jank in them (Though sometimes I enjoy it more because of the jank strangely enough, as none of it breaks the game, just makes you go "WTF IS GOING ON!?")

Some big doofusy bully. Not a fan of Dedede. Though I always liked the difference between Meta Knight's fights lower HP but more precise speedy attacks and Dedede's random styled fights. Dedede is usually a pushover, but it depends on which game and which ability you have. Funnily enough, in extra mode on the first game, he was ridiculously hard since that's probably one of the fastest versions of him, the screen is smaller, and Kirby is slow as heck in that game. If you puff up with air in that fight you are just asking to get your butt kicked.

Olimar's Logs makes Olimar sound like a very intelligent character.... Which doesn't fit his character design at all. If we base stuff off his logs, I like him. Off of his character design, then not so much. I loved the first Pikmin game (was my first game for the gamecube as it came with my gamecube too). I have fond memories of that game and usually whenever I boot up that game, other people in my house would say it looks cute/cool. People just loved watching me play that game. Perhaps someday I'll play Pikmin 2+3+4.

In Brawl, Lucario was pretty much Meta Knight's biggest rival to become my main. Especially since the Lucario movie was fresh in my mind and I loved him so much because of that movie. Though lately I've been wanting to re-watch that movie because I hardly remember anything about it and I want to know if I really still like Lucario from the movie now. Whatever the case, I do think the whole aura concept is awesome. Lucario's design isn't the greatest, I don't think I thought much of it before the movie came out. I swear Pokemon Movies are a very good way to make me love a pokemon. (Minus Zoroark. Not a fan of angry moms.) I haven't played any pokemon games from gen 4 and onwards, but I've only tried to keep up with looking at the pokedexs for other interesting pokemon. Partially afraid to get back into pokemon. I like to 100% complete everything in games I play.... That pokedex is a bit too much nowadays.

I loved R.O.B. as a kid. Though even as a kid I knew he was useless because I realized that all he was doing was pressing a button. However, since I loved robots so much I just had him sit next to me as if he was watching me play video games. A few years back, my grandma was going to throw him out, so I just had to take him. Now he just sits in the corner of my living room on a corner table that looks like it was almost designed for him to sit in. Now he just watches me play video games in the living room. Go figure. Also I have a little R.O.B. amiibo hanging out with him too. I suppose I should mention that I also loved him because it reminded me of Johnny 5 from Short Circuit. I don't remember much about that movie, but when I was a kid I loved that robot to death as well.

One thing I got to say about Toon Link. FACIAL EXPRESSIONS ARE SO IMPORTANT! He just so charming because of it. Also, I always liked it how he was always such a grump, despite having a lot of times where he just gets happy.

I'm a sucker for anti-hero type characters. He did just that in Star Fox Assault which was my first Star Fox game. There isn't any one particular thing about him that makes me love him, but how everything is put together in his design makes me love his character. Wolf is the reason why I don't play Fox or Falco as much. He's just so much cooler (and has a more interesting moveset..... even if some of the moves looked goofy).

Brawl definitely has my favorite batch of newcomers.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People like to make that claim despite Priam. You're probably wasting your time presenting evidence unless they're just unaware as they will probably believe what they want to.
I mean, to be absolutely fair, Fire Emblem plays kind of fast and loose with "descendant." Marth is touted as the descendant of Anri, and thus capable of wielding Falchion, despite being the direct descendant of Anri's brother, as Anri had no children. By that logic Priam could directly descend from Mist and still be called "Ike's descendant," as logic bends for precedent oftentimes.

I have no horse in that race either way (Ike/Elincia? Ike/Soren? Ike/Micaiah? Ike/Ranulf? Ace Ike? You do you), but I just wanted to give my input. :p

ANYWHO

:ultolimar: - He's a freight pilot providing for a family of four and has a terrible boss and coworker. Then he gets marooned and almost dies, only for him to come back home, have his ship seized, and then IS FORCED TO GO BACK to the planet he was marooned on for business.

Olimar is a great character. The poor guy has a pretty terrible life, but his little log notes really help to flesh out his personality.

:ultpokemontrainer: - Red in Smash? Awesome. Middle form of my favorite Kanto starter alongside him? Even better.

:ultlucario: - Had a cool movie, was a pain to get in Diamond and Pearl. He was also a key part of my Black 2 and Y teams.

:ultkingdedede: - The best Kirby character. Amazing design and hilarious personality, coupled with his wonderful theme music, makes him an instant favorite. Plus he felt so powerful in Return to Dreamland.

:ultrob: - Man was I happy to see R.O.B. on the roster. His importance to Nintendo's history can't be understated. I was introduced to him in Mario Kart DS, then learned his history, and then he was in Brawl. Best in the SSE from a character standpoint. Give me a Gyromite stage.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Been waiting for this thread. XD Here we go.

:metaknight: -
Kirby 64 is the only Kirby game I truly have nostalgia for, so Meta Knight not being in that game kinda hampers his appeal to me. Although He does have a pretty sweet design. 5/10

:snake: -
The Metal Gear series is one of my favourite game series of all time, so of course I'd like its flagship character. Even though I like Big Boss more, Solid Snake is still a pretty rad character. I really liked his role as Raiden's semi-mentor in Sons of Liberty, and I really like where they took his character in Guns of the Patriots; an old war-torn soldier embarking on his final mission. 9/10

:dedede: -
Easily my favourite character in the Kirby series. Whether he's a boss character, or assisting you on your journey, Dedede's design and personality is filled to the brim with charm. He's simultaneously burly and adorable. Awesome guy. (Plus his English voice in "Kirby Right Back at ya!" is top tier stuff. XD ) 8/10

:wolf:-
I really liked his anti-hero role in Star Fox Assault, even going as far as mentoring Fox a little bit in its final level but in the other games, he felt more or less like your typical rival character. But even still, rival characters are usually fun to watch. :p 7/10

:sonic: -
The Sonic series is what originally got me into video game series back when I was a wee lad, so I owe a lot to Sonic. His original games on the Genesis still remain as some of my favourite games to play through, so I obviously hold a lot of nostalgia for the blue blur. I fondly remember when I first found out that Sonic was coming to Brawl. My hype levels hit maximum. Although since the Sonic that appears in Smash is modern Sonic, I'll be specifically grading modern Sonic. I prefer Sonic's classic Genesis design and personality over his modern look. Don't get me wrong, I still like his modern design/character, but there's just something about classic Sonic's silent, snarky gestures that were so appealing to me. Modern: 9/10 Classic: 10/10
:wario: -
Wario's one of those mischievous jerkoffs that people love to hate. But for some reason I find it incredibly hard to hate on this guy. He's a burly, fat, cartoonishly rotten anti-Mario who steals treasure, creates mini games, rides motorcycles and eats garlic. Wario's hilariously wacky. I also love how Wario's design is both similar, and yet so far away from Mario's design. I don't play as him in Smash, but I usually play as him in the Mario spin offs. Love him. 9/10

:diddy:-
Diddy Kong is alright. It kinda sucks that he pretty much steals the spotlight from DK in the SNES Donkey Kong Country games (and I really like DK). I do, however love Diddy Kong racing to death, so he gets some points there. XD 6/10
:olimar:-
Never played Pikmin, and don't really intend to. Cute design though. 3/10
:ike: -
My favourite character in the entire Fire Emblem series. He was the main character in my first Fire emblem game, so my opinion on Ike is probably a little biased, but meh, it's my list. XD Ike isn't your typical main Fire Emblem lord. He doesn't come from nobility, but rather, he makes his own mark in history through his actions and deeds; that alone makes me like him more than the other lords in Fire Emblem. (Although Hector comes REALLY close.) He's also overly blunt and can be pretty rude at times, which is a pretty fun breath of fresh air to experience. His conflict with the Black Knight is also noteworthy, as you can truly feel Ike's character growth throughout the games when he's given an insurmountable nemesis to extract revenge on for his father's death. Then in Radiant Dawn he's this beefy badass who turns into a destroyer of worlds in the endgame. He takes down a freakin goddess for goodness sake. His stats are amazing in both games he's in, and his sword Ragnell is OP. All four of his designs are great, but I think I like his hero class design the most. (Really happy that it's returning in Ultimate.) 10/10
:rob: -
Considering that ROB was originally a failed NES accessory, and has only re-appeared in a handful of games outside of Smash, I still don't exactly know why its in Smash Bros. at all XD But hell, you know Sakurai and his wacky choices. Plus I do like its uniqueness. I'd personally like to see ROB get its own game. That could have some pretty neat possibilities. Other than that though, meh. XD 4/10
:toonlink: -
Not my favourite design for Link, but it's still Link, so I still like it a lot. I really like this Link's expressive face and the uniqueness of its design's art style. Wind Waker is also a great game. 8/10
:pt:-
Since this Pokemon Trainer is based off of Red from Pokemon Red/blue, I'll be basing him off of Red in the main Pokemon games. Even though I don't know much about Pokemon, I do know quite a bit about Red. He's pretty cool in the games. Him being the final boss in Gold/Silver is also a pretty cool notion. Like you made this guy a champion in the previous game, and now you have to beat him in order to beat the next game. Cool stuff. I also really enjoyed that recent Pokemon movie where Red's the main character in it. also his appearance in Sun/Moon is pretty boss looking. (totally a Jojo reference too.) For me, he IS the main character of Pokemon. 8/10
:squirtle: -
I've always liked Squirtle the most out of the original 3 starters. In Pokemon Y, the only Pokemon game I've played through, I chose him when you were given a chance to pick one of the 3 gen 1 starters. Loved using him-- especially when he evolves into Blastoise; one of my favourite Pokemon designs. 8/10

:ivysaur:-
Design is cute, but that's about it for me. XD 2/10

:charizard:-
One of the most iconic Pokemon. Although I like Squirtle more, and the fire-breathing lizard trope is a pretty generic archetype, Charizard is still pretty cool. 7/10

:lucario: -
Really like his design, and I also really like that he can speak. I dunno, I really like it when Pokemon can speak/interact with humans. His aura abilities and the all around mystical atmosphere that floats around him are cool. He's also voiced by Sean Schemmel, so Lucario, along with Ryu's orange costume are about as close as we're gonna get to having Goku in Smash Bros. XD 8/10

:zerosuitsamus: -
Samus without her suit. Not AS cool, but Samus herself is pretty great, so 7/10

:lucas:-
Mother 3 is one hell of an experience, and Lucas perfectly compliments the game's ever growing bleak atmosphere. If you haven't played it yet, I HIGHLY recommend it. I won't spoil anything, since it's a story that shouldn't be spoiled IMO. One of my favourite games of all time. No crying until the end. 9/10

:pit: -
I personally enjoyed Kid Icarus Uprising's dialogue, and Pit is no exception. He kinda reminds me of like a kid-friendly Solid Snake. A foot Soldier who gets thrown into crazy situations and not knowing what the hell is going on half of the time. Love these types of characters. (Kinda fitting too, since Pit's current voice actor plays a character in a couple Metal Gear games. ) 8/10

From favourite to least favourite:
:ike::sonic::snake::lucas::wario::dedede::toonlink::pit::pt::lucario::squirtle::zerosuitsamus::wolf::charizard::diddy::metaknight::rob::olimar::ivysaur:

Note: just to be clear, if a character gets a 1/10 from me, it means I truly dislike said character and would rather have them not in Smash Bros. I'm fine with anything 2/10 and above.

Can't wait for the Smash 4 thread!

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, to be absolutely fair, Fire Emblem plays kind of fast and loose with "descendant." Marth is touted as the descendant of Anri, and thus capable of wielding Falchion, despite being the direct descendant of Anri's brother, as Anri had no children. By that logic Priam could directly descend from Mist and still be called "Ike's descendant," as logic bends for precedent oftentimes.

I have no horse in that race either way (Ike/Elincia? Ike/Soren? Ike/Micaiah? Ike/Ranulf? Ace Ike? You do you), but I just wanted to give my input. :p
Exception, not the rule. As far as I know, that is the only time they misrepresented lineage like that, and they told you about it. Sans any similar hard information, why make the same conclusion?

Last edited:

Dig Dug

Chronic Lurker
So when I played Super Star, I was so young I couldn't read. I learned only a few characters' names through hearing people say them (Kirby, Marx, Bio Spark and Rocky), but not Meta Knight's, so he ended up being a nameless mook to me. The whole reveal with him being the same species as Kirby threw me for a loop, but otherwise I never payed him much mind. I continued to overlook him as years went since I was always a fan of cuter designs, all the way up to Planet Robobot where I finally started to warm up to him after his role in that game. I like him now. Also the Halberd blowing up is my favorite running gag.

...I still don't understand why he blew up his own ship in Super Star Ultra.
Originally didn't care for him one bit, but Uprising made me love him.
The only MGS game I played was Snake Eater, and even then that starred Big Boss, not Snake. But that's not quite the end of the story for me and Snake. See, MGS was one of my brother's favorite series. I remember watching him play most of the games when I was young (and probably shouldn't have been watching M rated games). I have a lot silly memories of us goofing around with them. My most vivid ones involve us snooping around Shadow Moses in a cardboard box and messing with the guards. I consider Snake a part of my childhood, in a way. My memory's way too fuzzy to comment on his actual character, but I like him.
I was always kinda salty that, in Radiant Dawn, Ike just comes along and steals the show from Micaiah. Otherwise I'm 'eh' on him. I think I need to play Path of Radiance to appreciate him more.
Don't care for Pokemon Trainer. Let's talk about Charizard! He was my favored starter just for being a dragon (close enough anyway). Squirtle was my least favorite, but I didn't hate him. As for Ivysaur, if it wasn't for Smash, I would have never thought about him, though he is my favorite to play.
My favorite DK character... But I really don't have much to say about him. I like his design and he was really fun to control in DKC.
This poor thing.
Never was a fan. Always found him to be obnoxious.
Didn't know his name either! I liked his goofy design though, and even back then I got the message that this guy was Kirby's rival. He seemed important to me. I grew to love him a lot as a character once I played more games with him in it. He's selfish, but still always willing to do the right thing. I remember being shocked when he joined Kirby in 64. 'The bad guy's helping me out?!' He was very different from other video game antagonists I was used to. Nowadays I just love seeing his interactions with his servants (I like to think he's got a really strong bond with his Waddle Dees) and Kirby. He's probably my third or fourth favorite in the series.
Pikmin's one of my favorite series of all time and Olimar's pretty far up there in terms of my favorite characters. I played those games endlessly as a kid. For Olimar, I always found his logs so interesting to read. In 2, whenever I found a new enemy or treasure, I'd jump straight to the Piklopedia just to see what he'd say on it. His notes always showed so much character. And I can't forget the first game, either. I wasn't that good at it and ended up getting the bad ending a lot. I'd feel so bad for him then! This was a guy who just wanted to see his family and dog again and I just went and blew it for him. He was the first character I felt truly sympathetic towards. I was also always a bit of a sucker for oddball friendships, so I loved the bond between him and the Pikmin. I'd even say the final cutscene in Pikmin 2 where the Pikmin see Olimar off is one of my favorite moments in gaming.
I consider his movie to be the best out of the Pokemon movies. Otherwise, his design didn't appeal to me too much. Not a big fan.
My favorite Link! He's so fun and expressive. I also liked how attached he was to his family. From his main motivation being to save his sister to him being hesitant to leave his grandmother, he felt a lot more well rounded to me than the Oot/MM Link that I was used to.
:ultwario::ultzss::ultwolf::ultrob:- No opinion

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Exception, not the rule. As far as I know, that is the only time they misrepresented lineage like that, and they told you about it. Sans any similar hard information, why make the same conclusion?
Oh I'm not saying it's confirmation of it, just that it's an option that's open if the fans or IS wanted to go that route. Though I would call it a bit more than just an exception considering how big of an impact that one exception has, since it's reliant on why Marth and his descendants can even wield Falchion.

Though like I said, I don't have a stake either way. Just that they left it ambiguous enough for there to be options.

Last edited:

DreamcastBoy99

Smash Cadet
NNID
DreamcastBoy99
3DS FC
1220-8501-2461
:ultike: - He seems cool. I ship him with Lethe.
:ultlucario: - He was my favorite Pokémon until Incineroar was introduced. He’s still up there.
:ultpokemontrainer: - I would talk about an epic battle involving two player characters but it’s a spoiler. As for his Pokémon, Charizard’s my favorite of the three because I always pick Charmander in the Kanto games.
:ultsonic: - he tries way too hard to be cool nowadays to the point where it’s cringy. I prefer Shadow over him.
:ultmetaknight: - my favorite Kirby character bar none because of this game because i don’t play a whole lot of Kirby games.
:ultpit: - The game he’s from is so hard that I ragequit or use Game Genie. Anyways, as for the character himself I like how they handled him in Brawl. “will pit ever fight again?” The answer is “YES! YES!”
:ultzss: - She’s just Samus without the suit.
:ultwolf: - “Can’t let you do that, Star Fox!” Also, I liked his Assault voice only because I main Engineer. Was he not available?
:ultwario: - He’s a pretty wacky character and definitely deserved to star in the best Virtual Boy game ever made.
:ultlucas: - Somebody give this kid a hug already. He’s been through a lot.
:ultsnake: - He qualified only because he got an NES game and a GameCube remake and because Kojima and Sakurai are buddies. His presence is more welcome than Cloud’s. I’m glad he’s coming back.
:ultrob: - only buy one if you want a nice setpiece for your collection. Other than that it’s not worth the hype. It’s slow and stupid and doesn’t work with modern TV’s.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
My favorite Nintendo character who's in (until we can actually play as Ridley that is), his reveal for Brawl got me into the Kirby series, which has become one of my favorite Nintendo franchises since I plowed through every mainline game there is. He's also my main as a result.

Only played the NES Kid Icarus which is super janky and not very fun. Not a fan of his design in general, and Uprising just seems unappealing to me despite being made by one of my favorite developers.

Largely the same opinion I have of regular Samus, who I obviously love a lot. I do prefer her with the Power Suit, but the Zero Suit sequence of Zero Mission is pretty cool, and by the end of the day it's the same character.

Wario Land 2 was one of my first video games I owned, along with Pokémon Red, and Wario is my main pick in any Mario spinoff ever, so I like the guy a lot, much more so outside of Smash than in it actually.

Never touched Metal Gear Solid, but I do have a lot of respect for the series and its history.

Path of Radiance is one of my favorite RPGs out there, and by far my favorite Fire Emblem game. Ike is also a fantastic character, if I judged Nintendo characters solely on how well written they are he'd be my top pick.

Like I mentioned in Wario's entry Pokémon Red was one of the first games I ever owned, so he's a hugely nostalgic character for me. Venusaur is also my favorite Pokémon in general, so I naturally love Ivysaur a ton, and Squirtle and Charizard would probably also crack a top 20 for me.

My preferred character in the DKC games, but although I like the series just fine I'm not a huge fan of it either, so he's just alright.

I don't like Mother 3 as much as Earthbound (which is my favorite game bar none), and the constant comparisons I inevitably made between the two soured my experience with the game a bit. Despite that it's still a great game, and Lucas does have a clearly defined character, so I do like him.

Ever since the switch to 3D Sonic has been a very mediocre series imo, even the 3D games that are perceived as the best are far from good imo. I do like the oldschool 2D ones though, especially as far as Sonic's actual design is concerned, so my opinion on him is very split.

Again, huge fan of Kirby, and you can't be that without being a fan of Dedede aswell. He's one of two characters I've ever seriously supported for Smash.

No opinion of whatsoever, never played Pikmin outside of a short 5 minutes play session.

Never cared much for him, if not for the heavy marketing surrounding him during Gen 4 and his huge popularity I'd find him to be very forgettable.

He looks kinda cute, and he did play a significant part in keeping video games alive during its early crisis, but it's a difficult character to have a proper opinion of unless you owned one.

I like Wind Waker and its artstyle a lot, but mostly because of the environment, I'll take a regular kid Link over Toon Link any day.

Not a huge Star Fox fan as I've previously stated, if not for Smash I probably wouldn't even remember the character exists.

Troykv

Smash Master
I have always like Meta Knight's menacing, cool and edgy style; I also really like how is usually portrayed in the games and the anime; one of my favorite character from one of my favorite series

I don't have special attachment to him outside of Smash

She is Samus, but with tight suit; I like Samus already with her cool, down to earth personality and all the style she has with that incredible Power Suit; now I know that she is also an athletic and pretty woman? I like it xD

Well... I only know some spoilers about the games; but not enough info to talk about Solid Snake

Oh boy; with this character I actually have a special relationship... I don't actively dislike him (in fact, I would say my overall opinion about him is quite neutral, but seeing him makes me think in how IS for some reason should to drop the ball with Micaiah and don't let her being the main character in her own in Radiant Dawn.

Please IS; if you decided to remake RD; don't drop the ball again; in the way the world in RD was created Micaiah is actually one of the most important characters; she deserved more.

But Ike as character is actually quite a good guy; I would have actually being his fans under other circunstances.

I like the First Gen Starters; they're all have really good designs :D. Also Red it's probably the most generic looking of the main character; I always found funny that he literally only talks when he summons Pokémon

Diddy Kong; the ape wheel; his is quite fun to play in DKC

I will eventually finish Mother 3 before knowing exactly what I think about him

The ol' good 90s with their edgy characters; I fine Sonic quite cool; but I wonder how this guy survived the 90s unlike the rest of the 90s Edgy Characters

Long Live to the King! Dedede is one of this characters that never fails to amuse me in some way, hahaha

I don't have special connection with Pikmin or Olimar

I really like the stlye of Lucario; and his aura power looks very awesome xD

I never had a ROBOT like him.

I need to play Wind Waker someday; the Toon design is quite cute and has a long life.

It's like Fox but with more EDGEEE... That is what I think every time I see him

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:ultmetaknight:- He’s a cool guy, but Kirby >
:ultpit:- Literally the best character out of all the Brawl newcomers. Knew nothing about Kid Icarus (though of course any character not from Mario/Zelda/Pokémon or named Samus I instantly didn’t know), but he looked cool in Brawl...then I saw the first trailer of Kid Icarus Uprising from E3 2010 and instantly wanted the game...had to wait 2 years after the game came out to play it due to it being sold out constantly (but those two years were filled with major spoilers I cherry picked cause I couldn’t wait for details on the game). Played the game before I played Smash 3DS because I wanted to know nearly everything about the character I wanted to main in Smash, and I was beyond satisfied. An illiterate cinnamon roll who is also a God killer...a ****ing win in my book. His personality is beyond the charts of perfection, and he’ll stay in my special list of favorite video game characters (and shall forever be one of my Smash mains). Now I await an HD remake or sequel of Uprising for the Switch.
:ultzss:- when I found out Samus was a girl through the SSE...holy **** did I get caught off guard. Spent many years not knowing who was under the suit and just assumed Samus was a better version of a Transformer and male. Seeing her in that blue skin tight suit I thought she was just a pretty woman...than I saw the name “Samus”...I was like “wow Samus is hot”...and I have still never beaten a Metroid game (hopefully MP4 is the Metroid game I can beat)
:ultwario:- Wario is a Mario character who has his own series and is a biker, making him someone’s spirit animal...he will always be among my favorites (most Mario characters are among my favorite gaming characters since that was the first game series other than Smash that I’ve ever played)
:ultsnake:- never played his games outside two demos for MGS4 and Snake Eater 3DS, but the character is amazing/cool/awesome, his voice is glorious, and both the Encounter and Game Over song...perfect (I have seen cutscenes for a few of his game...my god they are extremely long, kinda glad I don’t have the patience to play his games cause I’d quit way too quickly)
:ultike:- haven’t played his games, but he is a great all in Heroes and was of great use in Awakening
:ultpokemontrainer:- Charizard and Squirtle are adorable, Ivysaur is also (but he ain’t the best of the trio)...Pikachu better than them all for me though, since he was the first Pokémon I saw (also I wasn’t allowed to grow up on the series...and I don’t have the patience to play their main games, only spin offs)
:ultdiddy:- Donkey is better, but Diddy is always great (except in Smash)
:ultsonic:- I remember first seeing his face at GameStop as they had demos for both Brawl and the Olympic Games. I see him fighting Mario in both, and I wonder “who the **** is Sonic?” I needed to know who and what this guy was as well as why he was going up against my boy Mario. Got the Olympic Games and ended up loving the character. Then I played Brawl...fully loved him. A year later I played my first Sonic game...the masterpiece known as Sonic 06 (hold the get passed anything after the first set of cutscenes and meeting up with Tails due to the game glitches that I didn’t know about). Traded that game in for Unleashed...didn’t beat it out of confusion. It took years for me to beat a Sonic game, going from 06 and Unleashed to Colors on the DS and Secret Rings...nada...then I beat the very first game and Generations on my 3DS and Forces on my Switch. I also watched the first show, X, and Boom. Overall, Sonic is just as important to my gaming life as Mario is (so I treat and praise him like a Nintendo character, as well as his series)
:ultlucas:- his mama died...got nothing other than I feel bad for him
:ultkingdedede:- never knew he wasn’t a bad guy for a while, outside of Brawl I only knew him for the GBA games afterwards, but he’s so...waifu material for many people (he may be a dude...but Imma need this to be said, DeDeDe rocks the Big Gay Dance
:ultolimar:- got nothing
:ultlucario:- watched his movie, and found him awesome
:ultrob:- went from being responsible for the death of his family in Brawl to I feel more confident in Smash 4...to WADDUP MAH DUUUUUUUDE in Ultimate
:ulttoonlink:- Rsponsibe for being apart of the first of many Zelda games I have never beaten (only broken cause of BOTW mixed with hard work and determination), but I loved playing Wind Waker, which I only couldn’t beat due to losing my save card...affected many GameCube games not named Melee
:ultwolf:- never beat a Star Fox game, but I believe he’s a pimp

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:metaknight: - One of the best Kirby characters. Every time he’s playable he ends up being more fun than Kirby.

:snake: - Brawl got me into Metal Gear, and now it’s one of my favorite franchises ever. I love Snake as a character, too.

:dedede: - Pretty much the same as Meta Knight. Fun character fully deserving of being in Smash.

:wolf: - The only Star Fox character I really care about. Wolf is a badass, what more needs to be said?

:sonic: - I was actually a pretty big Sonic fan before his games went to **** and Sonic himself became an unlikeable prick. What a shame the way SEGA treats such a once-iconic character.

:wario: - I have no opinion on Wario. Luigi is a good enough Mario doppelgänger.

:diddy: - Eh.

:olimar: - Don’t know anything about him.

:ike: - Never played his games due to not being a Fire Emblem fan, but I suspect if I was Ike would probably be my favorite character. Really cool design.

:rob: - R.O.B., despite not actually really having a home series, was actually one of my favorites from Brawl. He’s a laser-shooting robot, and that’s all I really needed.

:toonlink: - Wind Waker was an alright game, though I don’t think it warranted putting this guy into Smash. However, I will say that Toon Link has so much more personality and charm than adult Link that I can kind of forgive it. I don’t love Wind Waker like some do, but I found myself actually caring about the protagonist for the first time in a Zelda game.

:lucario: - My other favorite Pokémon behind Jigglypuff. His design, voice, and abilities are all some of the coolest out of any Pokémon.

:zerosuitsamus: - Zero Suit Samus was never really important in Metroid. As cool as the Power Suit is, I actually wouldn’t mind if Prime 4 gave us another Zero Mission-like section where you get to play as ZSS but maybe a bit more formidable than she was in ZM.

:lucas: - Had no idea who he was, still don’t. All I really know about Lucas is that his mother is dead.

:pit: - I don’t think anybody really knew who this guy was until Uprising came out after Brawl. I liked that game, though, for what it’s worth.

:squirtle: - No particular attachment to him outside of Smash, but his design in cute.

:ivysaur: - See above.

:charizard: - His generic design stops me from liking him as much as the other two.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
:ultmetaknight:Meta Knight was the coolest dude to me in middle school. I feel my past self exaggerated how amazing he was, but he is still a pretty cool character.

:ultdiddy:I love sidekicks, cause I always played co-op games with my older brother, and the DKC trilogy was definitely no exception. I'm happy Rare was told to make him his own character instead of being the new design for DK Jr.

:ultkingdedede:My first Kirby was 64, and I'm surprised how different that Dedede is from his other appearances. He's more goofy and bombastic outside of 64, and I didn't expect to see that when I first branched out into other Kirby games.

This. Intro. Classic Sonic was an all-around extremely likeable character, from his design to his attitude (much more subdued than in later games.) I'm sure this intro was also one of the reasons I chose to pursue an Animation career. I was introduced to the series by the Adventure games (by which I mainly mean Chao Garden.) I didn't have a genuine interest in the series, until I saw this video in the Mega Collection extras. My first ever time completing any of the classic games was just last year around this time. I beat the first one with all the Chaos Emeralds, and it was... an experience. There was a lot of frustration, but I walked away feeling really satisfied. It was fun, and challenged me in ways platformers don't usually do, and I hope to see more Mania-like entries inspired by the classic Sonic in the future. Modern Sonic... I'll pass.

:ultwario:Wario seems to take a very interesting departure from the classic Mario formula in Wario Land. I want to play through the whole series at some point. I do vaguely remember playing one of the original Gameboy ones when I was younger, but I never owned one.

:ultpokemontrainer:Something about the FRLG Red seems more menacing than the original Red. It feels a little edgy, and I don't like it.

:ultpit:Never played Uprising, but I was thankful to see a forgotten Nintendo IP make a comeback. I wish more franchises got that opportunity. His redesign is on-point.

:ultlucario:I'm lost as to why this thing became so popular. When Diamond and Pearl were announced, I was more excited to see cross-gen evolutions than whatever this random Pokemon was.

:ulttoonlink: Apparently there was an outrage about the new design, which was news to me recently. I never paid attention to the community at the time, I just got the game and enjoyed it. Tingle Turner was a fun co-op mechanic.

:ultlucas: A great character from a great game.

:ultolimar::ultzss::ultrob::ultike::ultsnake::ultwolf:I don't have any opinion on them/don't know enough about their games

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
:ultmetaknight: - A cool character I was really excited to play as when brawl came out, pretty much my favorite kirby character.
:ultpit: - Uprising is another game I stopped for no reason that I need to get back to, really like it and its characters like Pit, not a fan of the originals though.
:ultzss: - Never played Metroid when she was announced or bothered to look up much so it was cool to see what she looks like and can do without the suit.
:ultwario::ultkingdedede: - Big characters in there franchise that it was really good to finally see make it in and get the attention they deserve.
:ultsnake: - Played MGS1 and Rising, like the franchise and character and would like to dive in more eventually, have to admit he doesn't fit in as well in Smash.
:ultike: - My favorite of the main lords we have in smash but I do like supporting series characters more and perhaps some of the other main characters.
:ultpokemontrainer: - Not a big fan of the series or character however I have to admit I always liked the concept of this fighter and am happy he is back.
:ultdiddy: - For whatever reason I have just never been a fan of diddy kong and I really do not know why.
:ultlucas: - Like him as a character better than Ness, not sure as a fighter, not a big fan of either character or the series though.
:ultsonic: - Love the classic trilogy and the adventures and would like to try generations, colors, and mania, the obvious perfect 3rd party rep.
:ultolimar: - Would like to try Pikmin someday, do not have anything to really say about it or Olimar.
:ultlucario:- Never really like the character since he kind of replaced Mewtwo who I kind of liked more.
:ultrob: - Cool surprise, joke character, especially since he was just in mario kart ds right before this.
:ulttoonlink: - Pretty much replaced Young Link, seemed out of place when everyone else had the more realistic TP look so I kind of ignored him.
:ultwolf: - Like I said with Falco, I like Wolf as a character more and wish he took some of Falco's spotlight.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:diddy:: My favorite character ever from my favorite gaming franchise ever. Been a long time supporter of him even before Melee was announced as a thing. Hence my username.
:ike:: Path of Radiance was the first Fire Emblem title I bought. I played emulated FE7 before, and whoa did I LOVE FE9! This game got me hooked, and loved the blunt and honest personality of Ike and his tremendous character growth. Supported him for Brawl as well.
:metaknight:: Coolest Kirby character ever. Wished to see him in Smash before the Brawl trailer.
:dedede:: Knew him because of the battle in Kirby Return to Dreamworld for GBA. A fat, jolly, hammer-swining penguin.. his character basically is already expressed in his design. One of the most obvious shoe-ins of the Brawl speculation era as well.
:lucas:: After playing EarthBound, I wanted more. And then that MOTHER 3 fan translation came <3. I think I already completed the game before Lucas' reveal. So I supported him being in the game. MOTHER 3 is also one of those games, that when you think of it, you wanna play it. Was upset to see him being cut innitually for Smash 4.
:toonlink:: Wind Waker was my favorite Zelda game at this point. I love Toon Link till this day. Also wanted him in before he was revealed. Always was a firm supporter of "Wind Waker Link". Seeing him back in Smash 4 was a great joy, especially since a lot of people wanted him gone.
:wolf:: I much rather wanted Krystal in. But I wasn't upset with the final result of Wolf. Knew he was important, but that was basically all. He didn't appear in Star Fox Adventures, which was the only game in the franchise I played at that point. So that basically made my preferences the way they where back then. Also was greatly missed in Smash 4.
:lucario:: I anticipated his arrival. Wasn't as much of a supporter. The movie starring him was quite cool however.
:zerosuitsamus:: Best possible addition from the Metroid franchise. Yes I still say that even if Ultimate is gonna have Ridley in it. Played Zero Mission before her reveal, and loved that game. But wouldn't dare to dream of Samus in her sexy clothes entering Smash Bros. as a separate character.
:pt:: Great surprise addition. Mostly loved how Squirtle and Charizard became playable, having played both the Red and Yellow versions plenty as a kid. Innitially I was weirded out by his reveal, almost thinking the Trainer would fight by himself. But luckily this wasn't the case.
:squirtle:: My first Pokemon ever. This was because I honestly wasn't as good in the game, and needed a "easy start". Choose Charmander in all other playthoughs basically. Cute Pokemon, great design, lots of nostalgia.
:ivysaur:: Always thought Ivysaur was the coolest looking of the evolution phases of Bulbasaur. Razor Leaf really knew how to sweep teams away back then. 99% chance of critical hits or so?
:charizard:: Still one of my favorite Pokemon, after Pikachu and Mewtwo. **** how cheesy that sounds! My team in Red AND Yellow both had a lv 100 Pikachu, Mewtwo and Charizard in it! Can't find a 90s kid that didn't love Charizard.
:wario:: One of the most logical additions. Knew him more from Mario Party than his own games however. But Wario Ware on the Wii was real funny. Think I played that before Brawl? Not sure... Anyway, he was always more than welcome. In Smash he's even more funny than in his source games.
:rob:: Mario Kart DS. I got nothing more to add.
:pit:: When speculating was still a thing before the first Brawl trailer, Pit was requested fairly heavily. I began to research the character, and anticipated him for Smash. Felt quite good to actually see him in that trailer therefore. He's also quite a lovable dork in Uprising. I won't bother with ever attempting Kid Icarus NES however...
:olimar:: Very neutral about him. Knew of his excistance, didn't really see the need to make him playable. But yeah, he was sort of Brawl's version of the Inklings. Except that back with Brawl, there where a lot of characters that where a lot more needy additions than Olimar.
:snake:: Who is he? Can he leave already? Holy **** I really don't hope this leads to a 3rd party overkill... And then Smash 4 happened </3. Retrospectively, am cool with Snake now. Definitely disliked him a lot before, being quite the Nintendo purist.
:sonic:: So, I wanted him out honestly. I disliked his fans, his voice, his design, and character. Disliked how he got so much support despite being 3rd party. I do still dislike how Sonic basically took the development time away to implement Mewtwo. That was a **** move Sonic.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Didn't know him before Brawl and didn't play any new Kirby game.
He's "there". I knew the NES game before him coming back I think, but I don't think I've played it.
Another Samus instead of a new character, great.. at least she's different.
Man, Wario really was really cool for me when I was a kid. Mario Land 2 on the Gameboy and Mario Land 3 - Wario Land were really cool games. I loved that Mario had an evil "Mario". And Wario Land was such a fun game to play! I had Wario Land 2 as well, but it got stolen when I left it on a shelf after school. After that Wario basically died. The new games were all kinda weird. After a long time I did play Wario Land 4 as well and it was pretty good still. I'm sad that the series transformed into Wario Ware, which I don't care about at all. I wish they'd make a Mario game again were Wario (and Waluigi) are bosses (don't need to be the main antagonists).
Didn't know Snake before Brawl and never played or really seen any games.
I liked Roy more, but don't care too much about either, since I didn't really know both of them.
I don't really care too much about this "character", since you don't really play him, just the Pokemon. I like Pokemon games, but just "Pokemon Trainer" really isn't anyone to me.
:squirtle:
Squirtle was my favorite Pokemon during the Gen 1 time. I lost interest because of new cool Pokemon and me generally just liking final evolutions more, since the pre-evos are usually just bad and you don't/can't really use them.
:ivysaur:
Don't really care too much about Ivysaur outside of Smash, but it's an okay Pokemon.
:4charizard:
I was never really a huge Charizard fan. He's okay and decently nice, but nothing too special to me.
My 3rd favorite character in Smash after Sonic and Mewtwo. Since DKC was my first SNES game it had a huge impact on me. I always liked playing Diddy more than DK since he was just faster/more nimble etc. DKC2 is my favorite DK game and it is just amazing. He's still nice in the newer DK games, but I dislike his new dashattack animation and weird monkey sounds. I also think it's sad that you can't really play Diddy alone while playing through the DKCR games, but oh well, it doesn't mean I like him less.
Just like Ness I didn't know about Lucas until he joined in Brawl. No connection to him or any Earthbound/Mother games and I've seen almost nothing about them as well.
My favorite video game character along with his "buddy" Knuckles. I think the first Sonic game I played was Sonic 1 on the Game Gear. The GG and Genesis games really used up a lot of time of my childhood and even a bit later. Sonic Adventure 2 was, for a long time, the last good Sonic game to me.. but Sonic Mania kinda made it live up again a bit. I did somewhat enjoy Unleashed and kinda Colors I guess, but they're such different games that they feel kinda like spinoffs to me, lol.
Didn't know him before Brawl.
Pikmin is.. different. I've seen gameplay/playthroughs of it, but never played it myself. I'm not too interested in the game or the characters.
"Eh". I've never understood why people liked Lucario. Aura? Mewtwo did that stuff since Gen 1 my boy! I watched its movie, but still. Lucario doesn't feel special to me at all. He's just a Pokemon I don't particularly care about.
I was really disappointed about him joining in Brawl as one of the last characters when I was still waiting for K. Rool and Dixie Kong.. that combined with me not knowing him and him just being a lifeless robot made me dislike him a bit.
I kinda like him more than Young Link. He was more different than normal Link which made him a better addition than YL. No connection to him or any Zelda game for me, though.
Don't care too much about him I guess. I played Starfox 64 and knew him from there.. but being off his Arwing/Wolven? is still weird. I did kinda like him in Brawl, though.

Last edited:

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
:ultmetaknight: - The only Kirby games I've played were 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure, and the Gameboy Dreamland games and he doesn't make significant appearances in those games. I don't have much else to say about him.

:ultpit: - I have only played the 3D Classics version of Kid Icarus and I own Kid Icarus II and Uprising but I haven't played them yet. I think Pit's cool and I bet I'd think he's cooler after I play Uprising.

:ultzss: - I've only played the NES Metroid title so I don't have much to say about Zero Suit besides saying that she's pretty attractive.

:ultwario: - My history with Wario starts with Super Mario 64 where I thought he was cool but not useful. Many years later I begun playing the Warioware series where I have learned to love this guy. I love seeing Wario and his friends having misadventures in Diamond City. I have a lot of respect for Wario even though I haven't bothered to go in depth with the Wario Land series. I own Super Mario Land III: Wario Land but I've only played a bit of it. Perhaps Shake-It will win me over.

:ultsnake: - I think Snake's cool. I haven't played the MGS games yet but I plan to soon starting with Snake Eater 3D.

:ultike: - I'm a fan of the Fire Emblem series. I've played the GBA and 3DS titles but the Telius series are out of my grasp because of their rarity. In the meantime I'll still think Ike is cool.

:ultpokemontrainer: - I have a weird relationship with the Pokemon series. My first game was Pokemon X and I loved it all the way to the end. Then I played Alpha Saphire and I struggled to force myself to complete the post game. After that I tried Pokemon Blue and I've only collected 4 gym badges. Finally I bought Pokemon Moon and I didn't even make it past route 2. I'm a fan of the Pokemon anime though.

:4charizard: - Nice fire flying type. Picked him over the other Gen 1 starters in X because I needed some type coverage.
:ivysaur: - Least favorite grass starter.
:squirtle: - My personal favorite Gen 1 starter. Named him Ford in my short lived Blue play through.

:ultdiddy: - Only played Donkey Kong Country Returns and thought his jetpack was helpful. Other than that I don't think much of him.

:ultlucas: - I have begun playing Mother 3 but that was cut short because Xenoblade Chronicles 3D has been taking my free time away.

:ultsonic: - Not a fan of Sonic in the slightest. Even though I grew up past the height of the Nintendo vs. Sega rivalry I held true that Mario was better than Sonic all the way. Even when I finally gave his classic games a shot I don't make it past the 2nd Zone. Sonic Unleashed, Colors, and Generations seem like fun though. Maybe I'll play those one day.

:ultkingdedede: - Unlike Meta Knight Dedede has made significant appearances in the Kirby games I've played. I love him. He's always entertaining no matter what he's in whether it's the games or anime. He'll never be not amazing to me.

:ultolimar: - I have not played the Pikmin series personally but I love ChuggaaConroy's lets plays of Pikmin 1, 2, and 3. Specifically 2. Seems like such a fun series of games that I have to try them out one day.

:ultlucario: - I don't think much of Lucario. I'm much more of a fan of cute pokemon like Lilligant.

:ultrob: - R.O.B. is my favorite Nintendo character. The history behind why he exists and how he accomplished his goal of revitalizing the North American video game industry is my favorite event in this medium's history. And then there are the many uses of R.O.B. when it came to the old trend of angery video game reviewers. The R.O.B. specials of AVGN and the Irate Gamer are my favorite episodes of their respective series. R.O.B. is my favorite Mario Kart character even though he's only appeared in Mario Kart DS but that doesn't stop me from wishing for his triumphant return to the series. Besides if the new games are going to include Nintendo characters that aren't from the Mario series then why not bring back the character that started that trend a decade before MK8. I own both of R.O.B.'s amiibo but I wish I could get my hands on the original robot. Perhaps my love for R.O.B. stems from my love of robots in general, especially non-humanoid robots. I hope that one day R.O.B. would make a comeback outside of Smash. Whether it be a return to Mario Kart like I said earlier or by Nintendo giving the guy his own game or even by going full circle with the console accessory thing and make a LABO set based off of the robot.

:ulttoonlink: - I've got few experiences with this incarnation of Link. Or should I say Links because my memories with Toon-Link are from The Four Swords Anniversary edition. Fun game. I do plan of playing Windwaker HD one day.

:ultwolf: - Star Fox is not a series I have spent a lot of time with. In fact I've never played a Star Fox game. Wolf's cool though.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
:ultmetaknight: - The first time I saw Brawl's first trailer, I got really stoked about Meta Knight because I thought it was like the literal perfect choice. Never been super into Kirby series, but Meta Knight is cool enough. Wish he had his Antonio Banderas flavored voice from the anime lol

:ultpit: - I was basically non-committal about Pit for years, up until I watched Chuggaaconroy's let's play of Uprising on youtube. Now I like Pit a lot. That game is amazing, character and plot-wise, really makes you care about them a ton. Too bad the gameplay is garbage rip

:ultzss: - Meh. I like Metroid and Samus but I think Samus is just more interesting in the power suit. The Zero Suit part of Zero Mission was by far my least favorite and she just feels... more standard... when she's in Zero form. I don't dislike her but I don't like her nearly as much

:ultwario: - I guess Wario's cool. I had an "about time!" thought when he was in the Brawl trailer.

:ultsnake: - I've never played MGS and don't really feel the pull to do so- that said, I can appreciate the character's history and what he meant for Smash Bros in that first announcement.

:ultike: - Younger-me never played any Fire Emblem games, because for some reason (despite loving Roy in Melee) I thought they were standard Final Fantasy RPGs and never looked closer. If I had been a little smarter and noticed it was a game like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (AKA best FF game fight me), I'd have likely picked up Path of Radiance back then. I remember seeing the boxart at Game Cage (And Gamestop later) and could have bought it at retail price. As it was, I didn't know who Ike was. But all I remember seeing back then was people assuming Ike being in meant Roy was out, so I had a slight distaste for Ike, though I honestly had harbored more resentment for Marth returning without Roy than for Ike for replacing him. I never cared about playing as Ike in Smash until I watched some videos of Ryo playing Ike in Smash 4 and after that he's one of my more-played characters in Smash 4.

Despite all that and despite me having gotten into Fire Emblem in recent years, I still haven't played Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn. So outside of Smash, I don't really have much attachment.

:ultpokemontrainer: - I remember the night on the Smash Dojo, refreshing madly at midnight. Over and over and over. Seeing that the update had a red border. I got excited.

Then I saw who it was. I saw the gimmick. I... I just melted with fanboyism. It was one of the greatest nights of my High School career, to be honest. you think I'm joking but I got so stoked. I loved Ivysaur. I couldn't believe Ivy had gotten in. Squirtle and Charizard, also cool. But... Ivy. Decided then and there to main Pokemon Trainer. And I did.

:4charizard: - A dirty traitor. He came back to Smash 4 with a severe nerf to his down B. Him being reabsorbed into the Trainer is a good start but he hasn't quite repented yet. I had an existential crisis when he was unveiled w/ Greninja.
:ivysaur: - The absolute best character in Smash Bros. My favorite ever Pokemon. I'm so very excited to see her back in Ultimate.
:squirtle: - Shrug. The Squirtle trio was always the one I didn't pick in Red/Blue/FRed/LGreen. I don't have anything against them but... I never really cared much about them

:ultdiddy: - Another obvious choice, I thought back in the day. I love DKC a lot. Now maybe one day we can get his better half to join as not-a-clone...

:ultlucas: - A surprise to me- I never expected to like Lucas since I just had no attachment to the Mother series at all back in the day. that said, when Brawl came out, Lucas resonated with me for some reason. I played him about as much as Ivysaur. So in Subspace, Pokemon Trainer and Lucas teaming up was ideal for me lol. I like Mother 3, now. I watched Beard Bros play it years ago, and made my cohort play it on my own LP channel, though that second time through showed me that the game wasn't AS good as I thought it was when I first watched it played. Still a great game tho

:ultsonic: - I was pretty excited because I had been arguing with my friend about this since Snake was unveiled. I thought it had been a matter of time, whereas he was like "It'll never happen!" Then I saw that his moveset was mostly the same move over and over and got less excited. He hasn't really improved either. Not too into what they've done with Sonic in Smash Bros, but that could be because I'm more of a Sonic Adventure 2 fan than any of the classic games in his series.

:ultkingdedede: - I don't really have a lot of connection to him. I liked his presence in Subspace for the most part, he was complex.

:ultolimar: - I played him a lot in Brawl, but for some reason never touched him in Smash 4. I think I just got distracted with all the other fancy newcomers, plus I missed the tether recovery. Don't care much about Pikmin to be honest, I got the first one with my Gamecube for Christmas as a lad, played it a couple times, got sad when the Pikmin died, stopped playing it. Plus I had Tony Hawk 3, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race and Melee at the same time. Can't blame me for giving up on Pikmin when it's the worst of those lol

:ultlucario: - He's one that I never really understood. I saw Nintendo pushing Lucario like he was interesting and they really tried to make him interesting, but it never caught on just like Zoroark. All the same, somehow that pushing must have grabbed Sakurai's attention because he's there. Don't really get it, don't even think he's very interesting to play as in Smash. Shrug

:ultrob: - I really liked ROB, but mostly because I enjoy his moveset in Smash. I've never been overly attached to NES-era games or peripherals. For me, Nintendo's good era starts with the SNES, but you gotta hand it to ROB for single handedly saving the industry. Happy to see him in Smash.

:ulttoonlink: - I like Wind Waker. Not a big Zelda fan in general but I always thought Wind Waker was given an undeserved amount of hate. Glad to see it has dissipated in the years since. That said, in Smash... Toon Link is like Link but with all the good parts removed. I almost never play as him lol

:ultwolf: - Don't have any kind of attachment to Starfox. Though Wolf always strikes me as a cat that everyone seemed to main in the first few months after Brawl came out, and then nobody saw or heard from him again, lol. Happy to see him back though in Ultimate, I love his new design.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
:ultmetaknight: Honestly I used to be excited since I liked him in the Kirby show. Unfortunately his tier status, once I learned about tiers and all, along with encountering varying egos, I broke away from the character. I don't mind him as much now, but am cautious of others.

:ultpit: He was the one that I liked the most outta the trailer and chose him to be my main. While it's true I never really knew him at all besides the instance of his melee trophy, but back then, I really did fancy those arrows, and then that bow becoming two blades from said trailer. Pit himself look awesome to me. Uprising made me like him much more. Even to this day, he's perhaps one of if not my favorite Nintendo character of all. It's a shame he doesn't get much love these days (well I do mean he needs a new game).
Admittedly reminded thanks to other comments that I couldn't use him much in S4 due to his moveset and being seemingly weak, but hearing about his many buffs and such does make me feel hopeful, and I'll be glad to use him more now.

:ultzss: Well, she's different at least, with a fast and aggressive style, as opposed to her canon appearance where she's really weak. I didn't really mind her at all, especially since I was a person that did not want Ridley at all... but that's now the past and it happened. Anyways, this form of Samus is great. Shame I can't use her well at all.
I may have to try her again in the next game for reasons.

:ultwario: He's crazy and hilarious. I just don't like fighting him and wonder how someone like him can move so fast in the air. Alas, him being silly is funny and priceless.

:ultsnake: Don't care for him. The high tier status had me bothered, but things probably have changed in this game.

:ultolimar: Didn't care for him, but fighting him in Brawl was super frustrating, so I didn't really like him much. I rather avoid him.

:ultwolf: Don't care for him, but I did think he was cool in a way at least. Though I have tried to play him back then, I couldn't do it. I might experiment and try him again sometime, but I don't see myself keeping him.

:ultkingdedede: Same boat as MK, just on a lesser scale of tier problem, but still frustrating since I did use Bowser, and we all know how bad Bowser is vs D3 in Brawl. He's now underrated in my eyes.

:ultdiddy: I do like him a bit as the Donkey Kong Country series were part of my childhood. However, him in Smash is just ultimately irritating and would rather avoid him altogether.

:ultsonic: Though he's part of my childhood, I'm not really fond of his personality. Fighting him is ultimately annoying, and I understand that's his routine, but I'm pretty bitter when I see or encounter one for multiple reasons.

The rest I either may not care for and/or just dislike them for one reason or another. Honestly I felt lazy regarding doing this, but eh, it's something.

Last edited:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
OK, here we go! Doing it the same way as the last two.

Meta Knight is my least favourite of the Kirby three. I don't dislike him, but I've never really cared very much for him. I know a few people were annoyed that Meta Knight didn't appear in Triple Deluxe aside from a Dark Meta Knight cameo, but I was more like "Dude. Dedede gets a playable mode. I'm happy." I never did get around to Meta Knightmare in Superstar Ultra, though. Maybe I'd like him more if I did that. Maybe I'll get around to it one day.

In Smash, eh. Meta Knight's moveset has never meshed with me, even in Brawl where he was comically overpowered. I've tried him out a few times because I do think his lightning-fast multi-hitting swordplay style is cool, but he's never felt quite right to me.

And here's one of my favourites! I took an interest to him in Brawl purely because I really liked his design, but he didn't seem to have much in the way of personality, so I kind of forgot about him for a while. And then Kid Icarus: Uprising happened. Pit is just such a lovable goofball that it's hard not to root for him. He's consistently entertaining throughout the entire game, and Antony del Rio's voice acting is absolutely stellar. I admit that I don't really have any particularly deep reason for liking Pit, I just really like his design and think he's incredibly entertaining. I'll also admit Kid Icarus: Uprising's plot and script are complete nonsense and sometimes kind of cringey, but I think it's nonsense and cringey in the fun way. It doesn't take itself seriously and even lampshades how ridiculous it is, and between that and the incredible gameplay and music, I can forgive it where I might not in another game. There's also the fact that, for the most part, the plot and jokes happen in real-time as you're playing the game, meaning they never break the pacing.

In Smash, Pit I think Pit is a fun character to play... however. I can't deny that his Smash 4 moveset can be frustratingly half-functional. A lot of his moves feel wonky, such as his incredibly easy to escape multihits, the borderline useless Guardian Orbitars, the ridiculously laggy Upperdash Arm (though I suppose it has to be considering its power and mobility) and some strange hitboxes like his Nair. Luckily, he looks to have been hugely buffed in Ultimate, with almost all of his issues addressed! Yay! I'm very excited to check out the new and improved Pit.

It's literally just Samus but without her Power Suit, so everything I said about her before applies. She's still awesome, she's still kickass, and she's still one of my favourite Nintendo protagonists. I can't say a whole lot about how she functions specficially in her Zero Suit in the main series, because to be honest it's been years and years since I last played Zero Mission so the Zero Suit part is a very vague memory. I should go and replay that game before Ultimate comes out. Yeah, I think I'll do that.

In Smash, her moveset is pretty cool, and I like it, but I have bad associations of getting bodied by her over and over and over again while playing as Dedede. :laugh: Yeah, he's... not a great matchup for her.

I have a lot of nostalgia and love for the old Wario Land games, so I'm really sad that Sakurai seems to just forget they exist. I have very little experience with and no attachment to the WarioWare series, so I'm never quite sure what to make of how Wario is in Smash. As a character, Wario is pretty fun. He's greedy, selfish, gross and just plain unpleasant, and yet he never seems to be hateable for it. He's surprisingly likeable and charming in spite of it.

In Smash, I'm kind of ambivalent. I don't dislike playing as him, but I very rarely pick him either. I do enjoy how silly and nonsencial his moveset is, and while I was really annoyed his classic tackle was gone in Smash 4, at least it's returning in Ultimate as his dash attack. At this point, I'm satisfied with even just a passing nod to Wario Land...

I've only played about 2 or 3 hours of Metal Gear Solid, so I'm actually not very familiar with Snake. I kind of know the basics of who he is, and I know a handful of the spoilers, but other than that I haven't got much of an attachment to him. I do think he's really cool, though, and his voice acting is superb. I appreciate MGS' influence on the industry and its work in paving the way for more elaborate and rich storytelling in video games. I feel like I should give MGS another go and get to the end of it this time.

In Smash, he has a really cool moveset even though he really doesn't work for me at all. I think he adds a lot to Smash because he's so unique and unorthodox, and I'm glad that he's back, especially for his fans.

Ike's a great character. Path of Radiance is one of my favourite Fire Emblem games for having arguably the only actually decent story in a Fire Emblem game, and Ike's a big part of that. He's just incredibly likeable, with his lack of prejudice toward any group of people, fair treatment of his army, strong ideals and relatability. He isn't a blue-blood or an aristocrat, he's a low-born mercenary who just wants to get by in life. He isn't interested in the pomp and glamour of the high life, and even renounces his Lordship after the events of Path of Radiance. I find he's a character who I can easily step into the shoes of, and that makes PoR a lot more enjoyable for me. It helps that he's an absolutely kickass unit who can cleave through entire waves of enemies, too. In Radiant Dawn, I think he's a lot... less interesting. I do like that he's one of the only characters to actually point out and criticise how cruel some of Micaiah's methods can be (setting a little girl and her guards on fire? Really?), but otherwise I feel like he lost a lot of his flavour in RD. I think RD stretched itself too thin with its massive cast of characters and overambitious story, but that's a topic for another time.

In Smash, Ike is pretty damn awesome. I don't play as him as much as I would like to, but his moveset is so cool. He's fun to play, easy to understand and landing his hits feels very satisfying. He looks amazing in Ultimate and I'm looking forward to trying him out. Especially now he has his more colourful PoR design back!

Don't have much of an opinion on Red or Leaf, so I'll talk about the Pokemon instead.

:squirtle:: Super cute and usually my started of choice for Kanto. Actually, the Water starter is my usual pick for every region except for Sinnoh, where I favour Chimchar. Anyway, Squirtle is great, and I especially like it because it's my friend's favourite Pokemon. I'm really looking forward to Squirtle in particular when I play PT in Ultimate!

:ivysaur:: Ivysaur's alright. I'm usually not a fan of middle stages, but Ivysaur is one of the better ones. It does look kind of cool with the blade-like leaves protruding from its bulb, and it's pretty cute. Kinda looking forward to it in Ultimate.

:charizard:: Charizard is really cool. I'm not as big a fan of it as a lot of people are, but I do still like it. Fire's one of my favourite types, and I like dragons so I was bound to like 'Zard. I played it occasionally in Smash 4, and it'll surely be my go-to for KOs when I play PT in Ultimate!

Like I mentioned with Donkey Kong, I really love the DKC series, but I've never grown particularly attached to the characters. Diddy Kong is fine and all, and he was my favoured character in DKC1 for his agility, but I still just don't feel much attachment for him. He was created in the UK by Brits, though, which is cool because I am a Brit!

In Smash... he's really, really annoying. I don't think this is an uncommon opinion, either. I find Diddy very aggravating to fight because of his insanely good neutral game with the bananas and ridiculously good aerials and grab game, and it's very difficult to find an opening on him. Just a really frustrating character to fight. I don't dislike playing as him, but I don't especially like playing as him, either.

I'm actually right in the middle of replaying Mother 3 as I write this, so Lucas is very fresh in my mind! Lucas is such a great character. The poor boy's absolutely been through the wringer, and although he struggled terribly with it to begin with, and he never really gets over it, it still makes him all the stronger and more relatable as a character. He gets the job done with aplomb even though there's no doubt he's constantly hurting inside, and it's hard not to admire the little guy for it. It helps that Mother 3's an amazing game, too. I'm really happy Kumatora and Duster are finally getting cameos, too! The question is, will Duster make an appearance? They wouldn't leave Duster as the only major playable character to be left out, would they? Come on, give us a Duster AT. You know you want to, Sakurai.

In Smash, he unfortunately suffers from the same problem as Ness for me. I really don't like his recovery, and a lot of his moves feel awkward to me. I want to give him another go in Ultimate, but I'm not confident I'll finally manage to enjoy playing as him, even though I like him so much as a character.

I'll be honest here: I don't mean any offense to Sonic fans or anything, but I... really do not like this character. I can't even really put my finger on why, something about him just gets under my skin. I've seen people describe his design as genius, and I'm sorry, but I just do not see it. I really don't like his games, either. Except for the first two on the Mega Drive (or Genesis). They were pretty rad.

My dislike for Sonic extends into Smash as well. I don't like playing as him, I don't like fighting against him, and I don't like his stages. Except for the music. The music is actually pretty cool.

And here he is. My favourite character in Smash Bros. and one of my favourite video game characters overall. Dedede is just such a fun and entertaining character every time. His design is brilliant with its vibrant colours and expressiveness, and he's a surprisingly complex character despite his lack of dialogue (I should mention I'm leaving anime Dedede out of this, mainly because I haven't watched much of it). The only game he's really a true villain in is the very first, with each successive game making him lean more and more towards the good side. Every other game since he's either been possessed, or just hasn't done things in the right way. He's grown as a character over a span of more than two decades, and that is some impressive stuff. He's always been greedy, selfish and a bit silly, but it's clear he has a good heart when it comes down to it, as he's offered his help to Kirby countless times despite their rivalry. And I just really like that. He pulls it off really well, and whenever I play a Kirby game, seeing what Dedede's up to is always what I most look forward to. He's also just a really fun character to play as. Dededetour in Triple Deluxe was the most fun I've ever had playing a Kirby game. I just think Dedede's an incredibly fun and surprisingly interesting character, and for that I'll always be a fan.

In Smash, Dedede is my main. He's by far the character I play as the best and the one I play as the most. And yet, despite that, I can't deny I have some mixed feelings. In Brawl, his moveset is tremendous fun to play for me. I really enjoy how weighty and powerful he is, and his Bair and Dair are amazing. But his chain grabs are dumb. Like, really dumb and unfair. I love Dedede but I will never defend how unfair and stupid his chain grabs are. And in Smash 4, again, I really love his moveset... for the most part. Gordo Throw is great fun to use and I really like his new Fair and Dtilt. However... there's no denying that Dedede's Smash 4 moveset is only half-functional. He has appalling frame data, he has broken hitboxes, Jet Hammer is almost entirely redundant, and for as fun as it is, Gordo Throw is often more of a liability to Dedede than a useful tool. Now, it looks like Smash Ultimate is buffing him in a lot of significant ways, but I just hope and pray that his moveset actually functions properly this time. I'm not asking for him to be top tier or anything, because there is no way that will ever happen, but I really do want his moves to... well, work. No matter what happens, though, you can guarantee I will play Dedede in Ultimate. I don't know yet if he'll be my number 1 main again, as there are a lot of variables to consider there, like how well Dedede is fixed and how well I take to other characters with all the changes like Young Link and Pit, but he'll definitely be in my secondaries at the very, very least. Becuase dammit, I love this big, dumb goofball way too much to drop him!

I have never played a Pikmin game, so I know very little about Olimar and have zero attachment to him whatsoever.

In Smash, I really, really don't enjoy his moveset. He has my least favourite moveset of any character, and is my least played character tied with a certain Smash 4 DLC character who I will... talk about in the appropriate topic.

I'm kind of ambivalent on Lucario. It's pretty cool, and I have used it a few times in teams (a particular memorable time for me was taking Mega Lucario in as my Battle Maison lead... he wrecked house) but I've never been as attached to it as some people are. I can see why it's popular, for sure, but it's not a huge favourite of mine.

In Smash, I actually really dislike its moveset. I rarely play Lucario because I just don't find it very fun to play as.

I have never owned a R.O.B. nor played Gyromite. It is cute, though.

I don't play it much in Smash. I find its moves feel kind of awkward, particularly its aerials.

Wind Waker Link is actually my favourite incarnation of Link to date. He's just so fun and expressive! It makes it very easy to care about his plight, especially with how utterly heartbroken he looks when Aryll is kidnapped. One of my favourite things to do in Wind Waker is watch Link to see his expression shift as he explores the world around him and sees fun things, scary things, interesting things, all sorts of things! He reacts to it all which makes the game that much more immersive, because I become interested in checking something out when Link is interested in it! And then there's the new selfie mode that the HD remake added which gave him even more ridiculous expressions! He's also a very nostalgic character for me, as like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were cornerstones of my early childhood, Wind Waker was a cornerstone of my late childhood to early adolescence. I remember being about 10 and begging my mum to get me Wind Waker and being utterly enthralled by it from the first moments when I finally did get it, haha.

In Smash, though, I unfortunately find Toon Link feels too airy and floaty for my liking. It's fitting, of course, that a small, cartoony character from a game all about the wind is floaty, but I sadly find him awkward to control. I do play him sometimes in defiance of that because I like him so much as a character, but I think Young Link will be taking up all that time and more once Ultimate's here.

Like I mentioned with Fox and Falco, I have no attachment to Star Fox's cast whatsoever, so I don't have much of an opinion on Wolf.

I will, however, admit that his Smash Bros moveset is really, really cool. I kind of want to play as him on occasion purely because his moveset is so rad.

And next up is Smash 4. There are a lot of them, and I have a lot to say on them, so it's gonna take some time.

Top Bottom