• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your most hated criticism against your main?

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
:ultpalutena: (this is an easy one):
  • 'Just nair to win lol' - Just outspace or shield nair to win lol
  • 'DA and bair invincibility is broken' - DA has considerable endlag so you can usually drift away and punish, and bair's i-frames are pretty short so a well-timed aerial can beat it (it also has considerable endlag but it'll generally be used when falling)
  • 'Neutral B and side B are annoying' - it's very easy to jump out of the way and punish
  • 'Dtilt is OP and braindead' - of all the moves to complain about, dtilt is very situational (only used to 2-frame the ledge) and even then it can usually be waited out
  • 'Kys' - like that's gonna change anything

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
:ulthero:
"getting a kill based on luck is, in my opinion, cheap. " - actual quote from Reddit.

I think this is referring to crits mostly. You can argue that spamming smash attacks to fish for crits is cheap, but I don't consider my Psyche Up F Smash that happened to crit a cheap move. It may seem unfair on the receiving end, but to the Hero Main he's probably had 10 critless games up til then.

That said, Hero doesn't seem to get much hate anymore because he's not high tier and not many play him competetively. He's clearly not a broken character. The only criticism I can agree with is the language barrier for international tournaments, but even that doesn't affect 99.99% of players.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Also, not my main, but I cannot stand the notion that 'all :ultbowser: players are carried'. I'm aware this supposedly started out as a meme, but I've seen tons of people say this unironically.

What about him carries players?
  • Neutral B doing a 'free' 40%? If so, it only does 27% before the opponent falls out, which may be earlier if they are at a higher % or DI out (I'm not sure though). It also comes out frame 23 so it's easy to avoid and is definitely not 'free'.
  • Side B coming out frame 6? It can still be baited out, spotdodged and punished due to its 46 frames of endlag.
  • Up B OoS coming out frame 6? Just don't challenge his shield or only do so with a well-spaced, safe aerial. Same applies to :ultgnw:'s up B OoS.
  • Heavy armour on his tilts and smashes? It's better to not contest them and just move or dodge away and whiff punish. It helps that his moves all have a ton of endlag.
  • Tough Guy? It pretty much only works on rapid jabs and weak projectiles, so simply don't use them and use other moves to deal damage instead.
  • Highest weight in the game? This, in combination with his giant hurtbox, makes him combo food, so he can live for not so long if you can edgeguard him. Also, does a high weight value really carry a player?
In my opinion, nothing can carry a bad player other than playing against an absolutely awful player. Ironically, these awful players are typically the ones to complain their opponents are 'carried' by a character or move. So... keep complaining, I guess.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
"lol another wolf player?"

"braindead laser dash attack spammer"

edit: also this thread reeks of "just sdi lol". You're better off just admitting that some aspects of your character are actually really good.

Last edited:

Melonsismyusername

Smash Apprentice
:ultyoshi: That he's just as much of a braindead character as Mario and Bayonetta...

Can you B-Reverse? Can you remember to use your limited recovery options sparingly offstage?
I cant stand it when uneducated people who dont understand the game say that bayonetta is braindead...

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
:ultgreninja:

Honestly, I don't see or hear a lot of criticism for the ninja frog. For starters, you just don't see very many in competitive play and when you do, they typically work their ass off for kills in cool and flashy ways. Greninja doesn't have any "broken" OoS options, superarmor, invincibility frames (beyond his counter, which, duh) and his moveset is pretty balanced overall with strong moves coming out slow and weak moves coming out fast. His skill ceiling (and floor) are fairly high and it takes a fairly high amount of practice and precision to nail his landing Fairs with perfect timing and spacing.

That said, the only criticism I really hear comes from my immediate circle of friends that have been spanked too many times to not throw shade at him. Typical favorites include:

-"Dash attack is broken and shouldn't equal free combos"
-"It's unfair how many recovery options he has" (Hydro pump, Shadow Sneak or Up angled Substitute which can all be used together if needed)
-"Braindead Up Smash for win!"

Masterbrady7

Smash Rookie
  1. “Up-Air is too good.”
  2. “Screw your tornado to hero spin bull****”
  3. “Go kys for playing a Mii.”
  4. “What cringy mii you make this time *****”
Okay how about you dont jump in, shield the tornado, and go online to find exotic miis, and really? That’s the best you have?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
:ultganondorf:: "He's a good character." Thereby solidifying that he will never be buffed.
:ultbowser:: "Braindead," "carries players," etc. Folks like to reduce the measure of skill to nothing but combo proficiency, when there's more to the game than that.
:ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter:: "Not real characters." Though it inevitably works out in the mii player's favor, it's still annoying to hear.

Top Bottom