• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's Your John?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
What's Your John?

Video courtesy of BunBonBagel

As the thread name implies, this is where you share your grievances that occurs in game, whether it's a type of player (spammer, incessant taunter, etc.), to something that involves accidentally SDing. If you hate it, share it, though do keep it civil. I will start the thread off...

- When I go to recover with Rosalina and I end up using Launch Star in the opposite direction of where I want to go.
- When I jab with Luma and Luma happens to be facing away from the opponent. You had one job, Luma!
- The Deku Nut. Why is that thing ridiculously overpowered? I swear it kills better than a Bob-omb!

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
When I jump off of Villager's side b too early and SD.

D

Deleted member

Online lag is pretty much my only John. I can't do most of the stuff I plan ahead on doing in a match because of it and end up losing, so yeah haha.

No Johns doe.

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Online lag is pretty much my only John. I can't do most of the stuff I plan ahead on doing in a match because of it and end up losing, so yeah haha.

No Johns doe.
Yeah..though online is much better than Brawl, when the online sucks it REALLY sucks. I've actually had my first drop out because the lag was so bad on For Glory last week.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Doing an attack and going in the wrong direction (this is especially with Toon Link).

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Sleepy john
Cold hands john
Lylat john
Itchy nose john
Yawn john
Sneezey john

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Definitely the first two on the OP

Also, and I don't know If anyone else has this problem using the Wii U Pro Controller, Online Input lag. This only seems to happen Online and the weirdest thing is there is no visible lag. Everything is going smooth except for my timings. Really funks up my spacing game.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Going in the wrong direction with :4mario: and :4drmario:. It's even more annoying in intense matches.
tumblr_na2wj3CbBm1ro0m9oo3_500.gif

The salt is real when it happens.

Thundering TNT

Smash Cadet
Accidentally using mac's side B instead of up B after a downthrow, and just happen to be beside the ledge.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

No Johns doe.
Usually, if lag is bad enough, I just SD and quit the match and find someone else who's lag-free. I still have PTSD from Brawl's online mode. lol

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
-Lag: With Rosalina and Sonic or other similarly precise characters, mainly. With characters like that, any amount of input lag completely throws me off. I can't even do Lunar Landing that well online. It can also make it difficult to deal with otherwise simple to avoid things. I once had a match with terrible input lag against a Little Mac. They beat me by doing nothing but Side Smashes. I simply couldn't react properly because the input lag was that bad. And I NEARLY beat him too.

-Tired: I am rarely in tip top shape because of college and general sleep issues. People generally notice without me saying so.

-Sick: I have had quite a few health issues lately. Again, people generally notice without me saying so.

-Out of Practice: Most of my Smash time lately had been single-player stuff on Wii U (mainly All-Star on Hard with everyone), or practicing with lesser used characters on 3DS. This generally leaves me playing poorly on the first few matches with friends, even with my mains, especially since modes like All-Star require a different mindset to a normal 1v1, and the mode could legitimately have it's own tier list. Also, my inability to even play the Wii U version that often doesn't help either. This should all start becoming less of an issue soon, though.

-C-Stick Problems: I think this only happens online, but sometimes when I try to use my C-Stick for a Smash attack or an aerial that isn't N-air, my character will just jab or N-air. My C-Stick IS set to Smash, but sometimes this happens. Again, I think it's an online issue only, but since that's where most of my time against human players is, it's frustrating.

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
Late night john. That's when I mostly play For Glory, anyways.

Also, "wrong name" john, where I forget to put the right name before a match, since I have my own personalized controls. Doesn't happen too often anymore, but when it does, I keep forgetting what control scheme I'm using.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The challenge where you need to beat Classic on 9.0 without losing a life. It's one thing to actually have that as a challenge, but for it to not be hammerable? That is cruel and unusual punishment!
-C-Stick Problems: I think this only happens online, but sometimes when I try to use my C-Stick for a Smash attack or an aerial that isn't N-air, my character will just jab or N-air. My C-Stick IS set to Smash, but sometimes this happens. Again, I think it's an online issue only, but since that's where most of my time against human players is, it's frustrating.
I've had this issue myself on several occasions. While not common, it isn't rare either and does get annoying.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
John?

I'm sorry...couldn't help it. :p

But I definitely hate when I screw up :4luigi:'s tornado to Super Jump Punch recovery. Either I forget to directly hit :GCU:+:GCB: or I just miss performing the tornado after the second jump. :ohwell:

Then there are the mishaps with misfires...

Zero Meddler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroMeddler
3DS FC
1633-4671-0386
My Johns huh? Those would be...

-Recovering in the wrong direction
-Constantly doing Mario's Fair when I want to Nair
-DAT ONLINE LAG AND INPUT DELAY

Zee'mmoro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zee'mmoro
3DS FC
4914-3176-0599
My Johns are more with Greninja than Lucario, and that is accidentally using side-B instead of recovery, or using recovery and hitting the edge to watch the froggy fall to his doom.

Now, with Lucario, it's recovering from stages with curved bottoms. They serve as a launch ramp to sling him off to the side rather than up to the edge. Poor Lucario.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
My john is usually "I ****ING SUCK!!!" followed by a quick stomp and a rub of the face.
I don't really have johns. Just salt I suppose.

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
I'm not good on this stage/ as this character! Or when I'm against my friend, "Kirby's SO nooby!" Or "Stop spamming down special!" Yeah I have a lot of excuses.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well as long as we're going on about offstage/accidental input shenanigans, johns aplenty, here's all the ones I frequently see:

:4dk: - Giant Punch
:4littlemac: - Straight Lunge/Jolt Haymaker
:4falcon:/:4ganondorf: - Raptor Boost/Flame Choke
:4myfriends: - Quick Draw
:4shulk: - Backslash (and to a lesser extent, being caught offstage with Shield active)
:4jigglypuff: - Rollout/Rest/Sing (instead of Pound)
:4metaknight: - Mach Tornado/Drill Rush/Dimensional Cape
:4sheik:/:4zelda: - Burst Grenade/Din's Fire

And while not as bad/punishing as the above, these still get mentions:

:4diddy: - Monkey Flip (after accidentally doing the kick with no second jump left) or hitting stage lips/walls with Rocketbarrel Boost
:4charizard: - Flare Blitz (off stage and the recoil from hitting walls with no more jumps left)
:4greninja: - Shadow Sneak (instead of Hydro Pump)
:4luigi: - (MISFIRE) Green Missile facing offstage
:4pit:/:4darkpit: - Upperdash/Electroshock Arm (offstage and being too low to recover from it)
:4sonic: - Spin Dash (with no more second jump) or Homing Attack
:4yoshi: - Egg Roll (with no more second jump)
:lylat: - Self explanatory
:smashville: - Balloons eating :4ness: PK Thunder

Raijinken

Smash Master
Accidental B-reversed recoveries
Seemingly inconsistent tether recovery functionality
Mashing too fast through Shulk's arts
Playing Marth in Smash4

MrMag

Smash Rookie
NNID
EvilMag
I'm playing with a Wii U gamepad. That is why I side b'd off the stage with Mac.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It's a more external force.

My cat wanting to play and ends up destroying something/interfering which causes me to lose a stock.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
When I accidently Arm-rotor and die instead of recovering properly.

I usually also have problems with controllers, usually because of weird dead-zones in the analog controls, or input error due to my lack of experience with that setup.

People pestering me while I try to play.

This does not quite follow the subject but Ill put it in anyway:
I have once agreed to a 3DS online match with a friend, And proceeded to play home-run challenge all day. The next day, the match day, My muscles were sore enough that I doubt I could have held the 3DS properly without dropping it, so I had to cancel the match. The next day, my friend didn't seem to believe me when I explained that my muscles were too sore from playing too hard, so I had to 1v1 him on the spot just to prove my honor.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
Playing on 3DS, anytime my thumb slips off the stick because my hands get sweaty and the circle pad gets slippery when wet. My heart skips a beat when I slip during an offstage edgeguard.

That John is my most common one at the moment. Even when I didn't slip and I lose I'll find myself saying, "I HATE THESE ****ING 3DS CONTROLS!!"

On a related note, my Wii U + copy of Sm4sh + GC adaptor arrives next week.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
What's Your John?

Video courtesy of BunBonBagel
As the thread name implies, this is where you share your grievances that occurs in game, whether it's a type of player (spammer, incessant taunter, etc.), to something that involves accidentally SDing. If you hate it, share it, though do keep it civil. I will start the thread off...

- When I go to recover with Rosalina and I end up using Launch Star in the opposite direction of where I want to go.
- When I jab with Luma and Luma happens to be facing away from the opponent. You had one job, Luma!
- The Deku Nut. Why is that thing ridiculously overpowered? I swear it kills better than a Bob-omb!
- Being distracted by your fantastic avatar.
:awesome:
Ahem,
- Trying to cycle to Jump Monado Art offstage and accidentally Backslashing.
- Terrible aim of Rosalina/Pit/Dark Pit's recovery. Even worse when I get stuck under the stage.
- Trying to surprise my opponent with a Luma Shot after respawning but doing it too soon so it only makes Luma come back.
- Playing while tired. Which is why I ONLY play at 2 AM.
- Lag. Usually when my sister is sitting next to me watching Vines.
- Playing a match up that just DOES NOT WORK (at least of what I know of). Zero Suits are brutal to Ikes (at least of what I know).
- Foolishly falling for a Ganoncide.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Charging a smash attack, just for a Bob-omb (or any bomb, really) spawn literally right there! This was an even bigger problem during Multi-Man Brawl back in Brawl.

Top Bottom