• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's Your John?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Meta Knight's hitboxes and lag would be my Johns. Oh, and being stupid. If you ever fight someone on the 3DS - I don't have a Wii U yet - that just runs into attacks and doesn't even attempt to attack before running in, that's probably me.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Wanting to do Aether but getting Quick Draw instead is one that happens on occasion for me.

The big one is my router currently makes my internet ping go all over the place. I'll have smooth as butter matches, and then every once in a while it will feel like molasses mid match and every 4th input gets eaten (which always happens to be when I'm going for the kill!). Found out it will be like this until I move, or feel like dropping 200 bucks to get my phone lines fixed in other rooms so I can move the router and get a hard line. :glare:

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
I don't have a gamecube adapter at home so I'm out of practice and lose when I use a GC controller tournaments.

Also, most of my practice comes from online so I don't get enough real life practice against competent people.

Speaking of online can I get an amen for all of us trying to play in soup?

I also get in my own head whenever I'm playing and lose many games that I know I should win.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
lack of sleep/lack of practice/lack of warm-up johns.

i'd say lag, but i don't think that even qualifies as a john - totally changes (read: ruins) a competitive game.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Input error.

"I would've won if I had properly reversed that charge shot" or "That should have been a reverse charge shot not a missile"
"I only lost because I didn't hit that instant wall jump -> bair"
"Uair not f-air!"

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
How the final form of Master Core - the 5 swords - is ridiculously overpowered. I thought you were supposed to be the weakest, Core! Miss a shield/have it break? Theres 60% for you!

All "serious" diddy players using 3 inputs on their controllers - dthrow, uair, and downb.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Playing too many characters John
Cold hands John
R (shield) button not functioning John

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
Oh, I just remembered another one. Similar to my last one, up-tilting when you meant to up-smash.

"Oh that's not so bad" you think. Look who my main is.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
Facing the wrong direction with peach's Parasol...so sad. Once lost a 3 stock match to a Little Mac where I lost all 3 stocks at like 20-30% with each stock being an SD like that.

Also somehow missing my Warp recovery with Palutena

Yoshi getting GIMP'd...I mean it happens less in this game...but it happens still

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Using Din's Fire when I wanted to use Phantom Slash... that feels specially worse when I pull it on midair

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
I don't have a GC adapter yet, so I'm using a Wiimote without the nunchuck. I have a nunchuck I could use, but it feels weird.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
When I down throw and don't follow up with anything/do some smash move on accident instead of short hopping. I swear, it's because my hands are cold. It happened about 3 times in a row the other day during my 1st match of the day. It was the most frustrating thing.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Missed inputs for me. I always hit the buttons pretty lightly and end up not shielding/smashing/jumping when I need to. Then it messes with my head and I do poorly.

Also, when I use the game pad as a controller and forget to switch it from the awful default controls for grab/shield.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Input latency / online connectivity issues are my largest, and I feel that's justified (especially when playing Ness, because a couple frames of lag will wreck my PKT any time). Accidentally going default controls as well, but that is my bad, and is never for more than one match (and on GC, the tap jump's the only thing I change anyway).

That aside, I dislike playing against people / characters that I can't seem to approach; my punish game is pretty weak, and I don't find playing that way as fun anyway.

Last edited:

jaketheknight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaketheknight
3DS FC
4854-6438-8016
"Stay still and let my shot hit you, darn it!"
My aim with most projectiles goes haywire whenever I really need it to hit.

Random765

Smash Cadet
I don't have a GC adapter yet, so I'm using a Wiimote without the nunchuck. I have a nunchuck I could use, but it feels weird.
If you played for a couple hours using the remote with the numchuks, it would start to feel natural.

It felt weird at first, but I got used to it. Still prefer the cube controller though.

Off topic, but good choice of a football team

We'll be back next season lol

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Why not use the Gamepad?

More Johns!
- "that guy shields too much" when it's really just me not shielding enough.
- focusing too much on getting back on stage and not realizing my opponent is warming up a meteor.

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
Top tiers winning in For Glory when in reality the people playing probably don't even know their character is amazing

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
"My hands are sweaty so I wasn't playing right" or losing to bad lag are usually my johns.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
"I'm getting tired..." (When playing at 4am in my defense)
"I need to eat/Can't play when I haven't eaten in a long time..." (When I haven't eaten in 7 hours in my defense)
"Controller's not registering what I'm inputting..." (When I'm not using a GC controller in my defense)

Not Johns, all true problems.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Hitting my head on the bottom of a flat stage while Up-B'ing with Dedede.

Hanging on the ledge, falling down and doing a dair when I really want to do an upair on the person ledgeguarding me.

UGGGGHHHHH

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Going back to standard characters after using my bruiser crew (Bowser, Dedede, etc.) is a big obstacle.
My Circle Pad is broken.
I use my 3DS when I do rounds on the Wii U.
I'm not really feeling it.:4shulk:

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
When I use Stone in the edge, and forget I actually have to de-transform (Kirby)
When I try to jump more that 3 times and realize I'm not Kirby (Charizard)
When I use down aerial on the edge, and then realize I'm Greninja

Running into a charged forward smash and my shield didnt come out.
Always

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
More Johns!!!!!

- The "I forgot to change my name so my Gamepad controlls are all messed up and my shield and grab buttons are swapped" John.
- The "You're an arrow spamming piece of ****, Link! It's been a whole minute and you haven't even moved from that ****ing spot!!!!" John.
- The "I hate fighting against :4pacman::4link::4mario::4zss::4yoshi::4jigglypuff::4kirby:" John.
- The "Why am I playing this at 2 AM when I'm so pissed off?" John.
- The "I'm so salty" John.

.... It hasn't been a good night..
Actually it was an okay night but it went downhill fast when Link arrived...

Last edited:

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
The "Ridley is just too big." John. :yeahboi: (I know it isn't a john it's a joke)

Last edited:
Top Bottom