• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats your favorite thing about Melee?

D

Deleted member

Something about is just magical, it's a feeling you can't describe.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
how difficult and fast it is

no matter how good you are you can always play better, you think about so many things mid-match and you want to do them all but you never can. progression is so addictive

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
The technicality, difficulty, and the speed. Also all of the good childhood memories I have associated with it. Never knew the game I played so innocently as a child was so complex and fun at a high level.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I love how you can feel the game. When you can move with such precision and speed and then feel that tipper on them or that up-b with Link. I love how there is no list of combos and that the game cannot be patched or changed. Things are discovered rather than added. No one tells you what you can/can't do, you just have to find what is possible. Comboing is so possible and yet combos are so avoidable. There's no limit.

That was more than one thing, I guess... The one big thing that I think I would have to put above all other things is the ability to express yourself in the game.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Well, if we are being kinda literal, they did do some small patches between the original and Million seller versions, but your point is still legit.

Also another thing I like: Mario's Wall jump cancel, and Cap/Dorf's Kickjump resets. Those are so cool.

Swordfish

Smash Rookie
I love the simplicity of it. You press a direction and a button. There's no multi-button combos to memorize...the combos come from your skill of executing the movements.

Also the speed...I used to be a big SC2 player as well and I loved playing as Zerg because there were so many things to do and they all had to be done so quickly. Nailing all those things perfectly is such an adrenaline rush. I get the same sort of feeling when I pull of a great combo...you press like 20 buttons in the span of 2 seconds and your opponent goes flying off the map.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm referring to the IKM-esque matches he'd have with average or sub-average players where he hits the dumbest, manliest combos and sometimes loses despite this because of SDs or being gimped.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Melee is a poorly-balanced mess of a fighting game with mechanics that range from ill-advised to ridiculously broken. But it has the most amazingly precise physics engine of pretty much any 2d game–only thing it's missing is analog jump height.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Fixed that for you, good sir.
No, melee is ridiculously broken in its own ways too. Fox's everything, falco's lasers, sheik's downthrow, spacie bair, arguably marth's grab range and his stupid sword in general, the fact that peach can literally just pull a superpowered turnip or a bomb because **** you the game says so, crouch cancelling, wobbling (not in favor of banning but let's be clear, it's horse**** in a game like this). The difference between the two is brawl's engine is garbage so in addition to being unbalanced it isn't fun to play as the handful of passably good characters either.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
wavedashing for sure. i spent what feels a big chunk of my adolescence talking about and teaching people about wavedashing here and at GameFAQs and all over the internet. i was sort of obsessed with the mechanics of wavedashing and wavelanding cos i discovered platform wavelanding independently before i really knew that much about competitive Smash and it just seemed like such a perfect mechanic. it was like roll-jumping in Donkey Kong Country: this thing where i tried it out and exactly what i wanted to happen happened—it just worked, in a way that made total sense to me. and in a bigger sense, there's a lot about Melee that feels that way. sure, there's also a ton of really specific and intricate mechanics, some of which seem wholly unintended or bizarre (like moonwalking) and others which somehow seem like they had to have originated from someone extremely conscious of competitive fighting design (DI and crouch-canceling). but there are also these little things governed by the physics (like edgeslipping) or engine (like ledgehopping) that just feel totally right.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
No, melee is ridiculously broken in its own ways too. Fox's everything, falco's lasers, sheik's downthrow, spacie bair, arguably marth's grab range and his stupid sword in general, the fact that peach can literally just pull a superpowered turnip or a bomb because **** you the game says so, crouch cancelling, wobbling (not in favor of banning but let's be clear, it's horse**** in a game like this). The difference between the two is brawl's engine is garbage so in addition to being unbalanced it isn't fun to play as the handful of passably good characters either.
All of the top 8(maybe not falcon) have something that is arguably "broken", but that in itself balances itself out. Yes, a fox can shine spike at a ridiculously low percent, but Marth has chain grabs, Sheik is amazing at edge gimps, etc.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
All of the top 8(maybe not falcon) have something that is arguably "broken", but that in itself balances itself out. Yes, a fox can shine spike at a ridiculously low percent, but Marth has chain grabs, Sheik is amazing at edge gimps, etc.
There's a difference between having strengths and having individual mechanics that are just way too good. Falco's laser is the single most broken neutral game element ever introduced into a fighting game, for example. Sheik's dthrow turns this game into singleplayer against a ton of the cast, wobbling makes the game singleplayer against the entire cast. People who honestly believe that melee is perfect like to explain this stuff away as being balanced but the truth is it's not, we've just had to deal with it so long that everyone knows what to do about it.

Melee has some very stupid things in it like Falco's forward b. It's a recovery move that kills opponents. And Fox has fire on his up b that flinches opponents. Those 2 glass canons could have nicely been more fragile. But it's sometimes like you're about to gimp them and they're like "nope" and you die

The best thing about Melee is how easy it is to learn. There's no specific control stick motions + button combinations to learn to do moves. You don't need to pause the game to learn a character's moves. The most you'll need is spending like 30 seconds to see what each move does by playing it (against a still opponent)

JediLink

Smash Ace
Falco's laser is the single most broken neutral game element ever introduced into a fighting game.
Neutral moves more broken than Falco's laser from (Ultimate) Marvel vs Capcom 3 alone:
  • Vergil's Helm Breaker
  • Spiral Swords
  • Vergil's s.S
  • Dante's Hammer (vanilla version)
  • H Vajra
  • Phoenix's Heavy TK Shot (vanilla version)
  • Zero's Lv 3 buster
  • Hidden Missiles assist
  • Gustaff Fire assist (vanilla version)
  • Double Lariat assist (vanilla version)
  • Beserker Slash (vanilla version)
  • Wolverine's divekick
  • EX Seismic Hammer
  • EX Thunder Knuckle
  • Astral Vision
  • Spencer's zipline
Sheik's dthrow turns this game into singleplayer against a ton of the cast, wobbling makes the game singleplayer against the entire cast.
If you think wobbling or Shiek's down throw are bad, there are many, many games out there with infinites that are much easier to set up and perform consistently.

I'm not saying that Melee is perfectly balanced, but calling it a broken mess is an exaggeration if there ever was one.

Last edited:
Dante is ****ing broke, and I play with him. Same with Vergil, except he's simpler.

I love this games movement. Especially with Fox and Falco being able to do fancy cancel cross ups and shield pressure. I love being able to cancel stuff (Hayate Cancel with Makoto, bold cancel with Dante etc.), and with the games engine being so unrestricted, I am free to do whatever. Like if I was Falco; top of the head:

They shield? I got somethin' for the ass. SH Dair cross up > Shine (JC) > SH Nair > Shine (JC) > SH Uair > Shine (JC) > wavedash > Shinegrab.

Beauty is it may or may not work, but it's so fun to image and do these things. This game is ****ing brilliant.

I will give it Brawl though, even though it's engine was terrible, basic movements did feel fluid. Playing with Marth is like a dream in the game. Hopefully smash 4 will take more from Melee than anything, and a couple of the things that Brawl did ok in (?)

NWRL

Smash Ace
My favorite thing about Melee is that it inspired PM.

It was a fantastic game in my childhood but I need more 12 (viable) characters to play around with. I don't want to feel like I'm stuck playing SF2 when there's SF4 around.

My favorite thing about Melee is that it inspired PM.

It was a fantastic game in my childhood but I need more 12 (viable) characters to play around with. I don't want to feel like I'm stuck playing SF2 when there's SF4 around.
Melee has more like only 8 viable characters. Also, gameplay >>> character balance. A minimum of 8 or so is all you need for a tournament viable roster. SF4 is pretty bad

NWRL

Smash Ace
Melee has more like only 8 viable characters. Also, gameplay >>> character balance. A minimum of 8 or so is all you need for a tournament viable roster. SF4 is pretty bad
I dunno man the fact that's it's the most played tournament fighter in history would disagree with you. ;^)

NWRL

Smash Ace
popularity != quality
I dunno in a genre as niche as fighters, I can say there's a good correlation between a games quality and it's popularity.

But I mean whatever, this conversation is also why I don't play Melee, diehard fans will jump into conversations and **** things up with confrontations.

8 viable characters is all you need for a barebones fighting roster, but this is 2014, it's not acceptable in this day and age.

Last edited:

USUX_LEGEND

Banned via Warnings
2009-2010 Scar vs bad players
Lol does scar suck now or something? If so i believe you but still that just sounds real sad
There's a difference between having strengths and having individual mechanics that are just way too good. Falco's laser is the single most broken neutral game element ever introduced into a fighting game, for example. Sheik's dthrow turns this game into singleplayer against a ton of the cast, wobbling makes the game singleplayer against the entire cast. People who honestly believe that melee is perfect like to explain this stuff away as being balanced but the truth is it's not, we've just had to deal with it so long that everyone knows what to do about it.
Lol no none of those are bad especially not the falco laser
I agree with this mostly except that i love sf4. Havent played the old ones but im content with sf4.
I dunno in a genre as niche as fighters, I can say there's a good correlation between a games quality and it's popularity.

But I mean whatever, this conversation is also why I don't play Melee, diehard fans will jump into conversations and **** things up with confrontations.

8 viable characters is all you need for a barebones fighting roster, but this is 2014, it's not acceptable in this day and age.
Having a selection of a few very well balanced characters always trumps more, but unbalanced characters. It ensures that any player will be familiar with matchups and that anybody could win if they are good enough. Some people may find a selection of only 8 viable characters boring, and thats fine, but for many its works and in melees case the characters are so close in terms of design and are all very versatile allowing a lot of room for differing playstyles and deep gameplay lasting over 10 years while being fresh. Killer instinct is a recent fighter that is taking the approach of starting with a few blanced characters are building up. And when you say that "diehard" fans like epsilon kill the game for you i can just as easily say that defeatist whiny low tier dropouts from melee ruin pm for me. That and that 1 frame lag glitch that keeps everything feeling silky smooth for me like melee does.

USUX_LEGEND

Banned via Warnings
N
That must be why Skullgirls is doing so badly
no offense but skullgirls is one of the ugliest games ive ever seen, and im not implying you or anyone else around here is like this, but ive always felt that the people that play it are lusty weeaboos that play it because of the sexy females and kawaii anime artstyle, just like with touhou. It kinda struggles to get my attention when its artyle and polish are something i couldve made in flash as a sophomore, pc exclusive, and the commentators of it cosplay as their waifus complete with makeup and wigs

IndianapolisCentralGaming

Banned via Warnings
I like ice climbers d-smash and wobbling(i think positive thoughts while I do it) and pichu's nair.

Also falco's who aren't amazing with movement are very fun to fight

Isn't super Smash Brothers Brawl the most popular fighting game? Look at the sales. It must be a very good fighting game then. Or is there a negative relationship between the 2 variables?

Most modern fighting games have at least half the cast viable, but that's not as important as having good gameplay. Is UMVC3 > MVC2? What about AE > 3S? the prequels to both games had a competitive roster of only like 8 characters as well. Ignoring other variables, better character balance is better than worse character balance

I agree with this mostly except that i love sf4. Havent played the old ones but im content with sf4.
You should totally try 3rd Strike or Super Turbo. They're so much fun. SF4 is I guess ok, to have a more accurate, unexaggerated opinion, but it's not great. An example of a great game would be Melee or 3rd Strike

Last edited:

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Lol does scar suck now or something? If so i believe you but still that just sounds real sad
It's more like he stopped improving due to school, work, etc. He is probably still better than his 2010 self, but the average skill level has risen, making him look worse overall. He also moved to Cali (was in PA originally) which is super stacked.

Top Bottom