• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite intro?

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
All of the intros, including Wii U!
Mine is the Wii U one
It just feels awesome, it really feels like all the characters coming along into this game, it's the one that contains most "action". Plus I love the Smash 4 theme

Last edited:

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Melee hands down.

Smash 4 might have got me hyped the most with those reveal trailers but Melee's beautiful opening with my favorite smash theme takes the cake.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
Had we seen the Smash Wii U opening before knowing about the characters, it would've been the best one yet by far. But, I would have to say Melee/Brawl

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Even though Brawl reused scenes from Subspace, It's still my favorite intro. The main theme that plays during the intro is probably one of the most epic videogame themes I've ever heard!

haydyn

Smash Cadet
THAT was it??? they just re-used random scenes from the character trailers that everyone has seen already.
dont want to be a hater or anything but at least brawls intro looked awesome even if it was just subspace emissary cutscenes.
melee had the best intro by far because none of it was copied and pasted from other things.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Wait. There's no way we've seen the intro yet. I saw something titled as such, but that can't be the intro.

If that is the one, it's probably my least favorite. Not because it's badly made, but everything is so disjointed. It's amazing for a direct where you are trying to hype something. Or maybe it's just not as powerful because it's just a piecing together of reveals I've been glued to along the way for so long. I love the visuals and all that they offer, I just like the old creative intros.

Brawls at least felt a little bit better paced and towards the end you were pretty excited to see the characters working together.

Melee's has the best visual transitions by far, the most connection with the music, and more interesting stand alone visuals rather than cut scenes from elsewhere pasted in. It's just a smoother ride that feels like it was made to be an intro to a game, instead of a bunch of cuts that work amazing in their own places, used further. It may not have the best graphics, but it wins for me. Plus it'll always hold a special spot; As I was growing up I got a group of people together online to make an animation collab as a tribute piece for it, each person picked a character and animated in their own style that fighter's transition/screen time. It sadly never saw full completion but the pieces we did make were amazing to me, and it branched into other fun projects. It was a great ride either way.

And finally... Melee has the announcer's exclamation at the end which is an automatic win since it's excluded from these last two (even if it started a million "mee-lee vs May-lay" arguments)

This is not just Melee bias, I currently enjoy playing smash 4 the most, but as far as the intro goes... Melee hands down if what I saw really was the Smash 4 opening cinematic.

The 64 version was fun and is a great intro to the series, but it is just slightly dated. I don't think it's fair to compare it tbh because it's not quite as good as Melee's but it's too different from 4 or Brawl. It has way more charm in some areas, and then some not so up with the times visuals. But it closes with the announcer so....

Edit: wow this is a lot for intros lol, but the game has always been huge to me, so it's not like it's hard to rant.

Last edited:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Melee is my favourite. It looks more like a proper intro than Brawl and Smash 4's combined. The visuals are tightly knit together with the music, and the announcer at the end tops it off in a great way.

Then comes the original Smash 64. Mostly the same points as Melee, though it loses points on its dated visuals and not quite as epic feeling. Though it feels the most imaginative of them all to me.

Between Brawl and Smash 4, I'd have to say Smash 4 is the better one. Though they both make the same mistake (IMO) of just reusing clips from other videos, I feel Smash 4 has a faster pace and better choreographed clips for the music, along with more exiting gameplay clips. Plus Brawl's graphical style is my least favourite in the series due to its bland colourschemes.

Also neither Brawl nor Smash 4 has the announcer at the end, which lessens the exitement from watching their intros.

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
I like Melee's the most, Sm4sh is good too. I didn't care for brawls : /

Shog

Smash Ace
Oldschool 64 is by far the best intro, that epic showdown Mario vs. Kirby with the music always gets me

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
As someone who is pretty musical, the Melee intro music is far superior and the accompanying cinematic never fail to get me hyped.

So, Melee, yeah.

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
Melee, because I love how it shows a lot of the characters in their own universe/series and kind of gives you a real feel for what all the represented games are like. The unique footage definitely helps too, and the music is beautiful (especially the part of the song when Sheik and Kirby are on-screen).

Smash 64 is second because it feels so whimsical and plays up the trophy aspect of the character well. Next would be Smash 4's, which is pretty good. Reused character trailers, but it works well imo. Last is Brawl, mainly because I always found that main theme way too over-the-top and annoying.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
THAT was it??? they just re-used random scenes from the character trailers that everyone has seen already.
dont want to be a hater or anything but at least brawls intro looked awesome even if it was just subspace emissary cutscenes.
melee had the best intro by far because none of it was copied and pasted from other things.
Actually, if my sources are correct, the Melee intro is from a trailer shown earlier. So, actually, all intros are re-used clips.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Melee's intro is definitely my favorite. Smash 4's main theme is my favorite main theme, but I don't really like the intro for that game or Brawl's, especially compared to Melee's.

D

Deleted member

I like Melee's opening the most.
The intro still holds up to this day in my opinion and I absolutely love the music that plays in the background (it's so beautiful!). That and the animations are all original and are not taken from the videos made for the game.
I'm honestly a bit disappointed that the Wii U version doesn't have any original footage for its intro.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
All this Melee love in here...

My favorite is Brawl's because goddamn Nobuo Uematsu is a musical genius.

Kori

Smash Cadet
64 for me, mainly for nostalgic reasons...plus, the pikachu rolling on a Pokeball is cute :). That intro just makes me happy, plus seeing at the time that I was just a kid obsessed with stuffed animals, the fighters being stuffed animals was neat :p I was bummed when they became trophies instead... Melee was good...but I have some bad memories associated with that game...so unfortunately I'm not able to bring myself to like anything melee ...the lack of meta knight doesn't help either lol. Wii U is quickly becoming my favorite though, being the most "complete feeling" game. As for Brawl's intro, when it came out, I loved it...it's when Smash really started to shine! However after so many years of hearing that theme...I'm SO over it lol...

Raven the Obsidian

Smash Cadet
NNID
RavenTheObsidian
3DS FC
3866-8144-2758
Melee. The way the cinematics and music work together just feels right. Also nostalgia.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
1. Melee
2. Brawl
3. Smash 4 (though almost as much as Brawl)
4. 64

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Melee.

Nostalgia alone does it for me, but the vibrant colors and music of the intro are just outstanding. Melee's intro is 13 years old, and yet, it doesn't feel dated at all.

EnigmaticKnight

Smash Apprentice
Melee for me. From the song to the cinematic, and the way they ended the intro was just beautiful and nostalgic.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Definitely Melee's. Its and 64's were the only two that were actually just one video and not a clipfest, and 64's visuals are so out of date (not that Melee's aren't either but they're way better). Plus it just fits with the music so well.

I know earlier I said Smash 4's flows better than Brawl's, but after watching it more I'm starting to feel differently. Especially towards the end where the clips are so rapid-fire that it's practically impossible to tell what's going on without pausing. Although I still do like it better than Brawl's because the visuals actually look great and the music is really good. Part of me is hoping this isn't actually the opening and IGN (or whoever originally posted it) made a mistake, or you get a good one after unlocking all the characters or something. I mean I know it really is and that's not going to happen but it would make me so happy.

Zippy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2036-7264-1156
Its a close tie between N64 & Melee... but I'd have to say Melee since it really hits the nostalgia. I'm not really a big fan of the newest one.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Actually, if my sources are correct, the Melee intro is from a trailer shown earlier. So, actually, all intros are re-used clips.
No, I seriously dont see how people think showing off the opening early makes it reused clips.

Unlike brawl and smash 4 where their clips were taken from other cinematics, melees was made specially for the intro which was shown off early.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Melee > 64 >>>>> Brawl > Wii U

Melee's is so grand and shows so much in so little time, there's just no way this isn't the best. The music also plays a big part in why it's so good, it's epic, hectic and beautiful, it fits with every motion. It is no doubt my favorite intro to any game ever, it just does what it does perfectly.

64 is second, if only because it suffers from the game's actual lack of content and a cheesy montage. It is still pretty good though, the idea that Smash is based on our childhood dreams of clashing these characters together has stuck with most of us for a long time.

From this point on the intros just suck, let's get real here, you don't remember the Brawl and Smash 4 intros, you remember the individual clips in their actual context, take that away and it's just a random mishmash of events that makes no sense for an intro. I still choose Brawl over Wii U though because its cinematic clips are better, the Wii U intro suffers heavily from its cinematics being focused strictly on the newcomers, which leaves too much screen-time to otherwise minor characters like Rosalina, Robin and Greninja while the actually bigshot Nintendo all-stars are left with gameplay footage. There are also way too few cinematic parts in the Wii U intro because the actual clips it uses are so narrow. The ending of the Wii U intro is also incredibly anti-climatic, with the other intros the music reaches its absolute peak at the end, here it just stops so suddenly.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Melee wins for me. It tells the story so well. The rest are good but Melee's one just tops the lot.

GamerCrusader

Smash Rookie
Took Me A While To Think About This, I Ended Up On Youtube Looking At The Intros And Trailers, And I Found My Results.
- 1st MELEE > 2nd N64 > 3rd Wii U > 4th BRAWL -

BUT I THINK I FOUND SOMETHING THAT MIGHT BE BETTER FOR 2nd PLACE (Sorry Brawl, You're 5th). XD

JHamron

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0688-6427-7438
I'm not a huge fan of Melee, but I still put it at the top, Brawl at a close second.

And then which ever one this was:
[\spoiler]

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not a huge fan of Melee, but I still put it at the top, Brawl at a close second.

And then which ever one this was:
The PS All-Stars intro is honestly better than any of the Smash intros, IMO.

------

64>Wii U>Melee>Brawl

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Easily Melee's. For that CG and the theme for the game is my favorite of all the Smash Bros.
64's would come up second just because it begins so mysteriously.

I place Wii U's above Brawl's because the 'choreography' of the clips are very fun to watch (like Luigi's taunt-dodging Ganondorf's Warlock Punch).

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Melee's intro had the most work put into it, probably my favourite but Smash 64's intro is a super close 2nd, too much nostalgia & I always found it so cool how in the 64 intro, each fighter was like a plushie instead of a trophy.

D

Deleted member

deleted account

Last edited by a moderator:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Brawl's or Melee's. Probably Brawl's. I has really cool action scenes tho Melee does have some of those elements. Plus, I'm sicj of the Brawl theme.

You know what? 64's is dope too.

They're all good except for 4's bc thats stuff we've all seen before.

Top Bottom