• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite Gen to play?

Gen?

• Total voters

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I would agree with those saying Gen II was the best to play through.
It took everything about the original Pokemon games and improved on them in every way. The scope of the game, the beautiful sprites, the changes to gameplay, and more.

Competitively, I have enjoyed each generation more than the last for the most part. It's things that get added that I can't stand at first, but grow to love in the end. So right now, I would say Gen IV is my favorite competitively.
I think Gen V is just too young still for me to really like. Right now I don't like the power creep, but that will probably change. I just have to get used to something like Snorlax, who was once probably the single best non uber Pokemon in the game, being pretty average by todays standards of good.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
i want to play 5th gen (kinda)

i have no excuse actually, i have the rom on my computer, but i just haven't played it yet due to lack of interest

i tried playing pokemon gold, and it just felt so boring

looks like i can't play a pokemon game without the nostalgia factor or cute girls in it

gym leaders aren't enough

Pita

Smash Apprentice
Gen II no doubt. Heartgold/Soulsilver I consider Gen II, since they're a remake anyway.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm not competitive, but I consider Generation II to be my favorite generation. So I have to go with that. I miss playing it. :(

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I like d/p/plt/hg/ss the best because the physical special split made so many more pokemon viable. G/S/C is good too if you like stall and want long epic battles. R/B/Y was the worst, way too centralized around psychics and having high special was mandatory unless your pro like Tauros/Snorlax or something. Critical hit formula was also biased toward fast pokemon too since it was based off of speed. Also the glitch with 100 accuracy moves missing was ****ing bull**** lol. I havent battled in b/w yet im just lurking like i normally do when new pokemon games come out. It seems that critical hits and hax are even more devastating this time around because GF handed out crazy attacking base stats like candy lol.

oh yeah.. R/S/E metagame... its ok but it didnt have the attack split so lots of pokemon still suffered

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Gen II in-game. Never played anything but Generation IV competitively; I'm too lazy to pick up a simulator for the earlier ones, if there's still an active one out there.

Riddle

Smash Lord
I like d/p/plt/hg/ss the best because the physical special split made so many more pokemon viable. G/S/C is good too if you like stall and want long epic battles. R/B/Y was the worst, way too centralized around psychics and having high special was mandatory unless your pro like Tauros/Snorlax or something. Critical hit formula was also biased toward fast pokemon too since it was based off of speed. Also the glitch with 100 accuracy moves missing was ****ing bull**** lol. I havent battled in b/w yet im just lurking like i normally do when new pokemon games come out. It seems that critical hits and hax are even more devastating this time around because GF handed out crazy attacking base stats like candy lol.

oh yeah.. R/S/E metagame... its ok but it didnt have the attack split so lots of pokemon still suffered
Juri maddd salty, because he loses at gen I.

Lol at it being centralized around psychics. Starmie was really good, alakazam was decent, and jynx and exeggutor were aiight. Every team was like:

Chansey/Starmie/(Golem/Rhydon)/Tauros and pick two of Snorlax/Zapdos/Jolteon/Exeggutor/Gengar/jynx/hypno

Best. Gen. Ever.

Rawst

Smash Rookie
NNID
Numel322
Actually Ruby is my favourite but that's just because it is the game I played for the longest time when I was younger. I like all the other gens though. (Not sure about fifth yet.)

Blarg I'm Dead

Smash Apprentice
GenII ingame both ingame competitively with link battles and playing through it.

It was a huge jump forward in so many ways.

Cell phone - call trainer for moar money/evolution stones/useless pokemon that swarm and are hard to catch otherwise, and you don't want to because they suck (lol yamna/qwuilfish)

Held items- self explanatory

morning/Day/nite - awesome as it effected numerous things. Now days it'd kinda suck as I have priority's, but when I was 11/12 it gave me a reason to play during different times, it's still awesome concept though.

Beating the Elite 4 - You beat the E4 then realize you still have another 3rd of the game. Kanto was my favorite part of gsc, even though johto was awesome too.

Gym leader variations - Johto gym leaders had uncommon types at the time, dragon, ghost and bug gym leaders were something new, and huge at the time as there was arguably 2 good bug pokemon and only 2 species of ghosts and dragons. The second dragon line being Kingdra.

Shiny pokemon - idrgaf but it was something new and red gyarados made a good hm slave with strength, whirlpool, and waterfall. Surf didn't suck so it wasn't mentioned.

Breeding - getting better stats and egg moves. Some of the egg moves were straight awesome. I can't remember the most awesome ones but they were there.

Starters - behind 1st gen these were the sickest. A ****ing alligator? Awesome. A fire starter who isn't 4x weak to rock, learns fire blast and thunderpunch and earthquake? Typhlosion ****ed **** up against my 12 year old friends at the time. STAB'd fire blast, thunder punch takes down waters (12 year olds aren't as likely to send out a good water type, and gyarados is still awesome besides the 4x electric weak : P ), earthquake hits everything else for heavy damage with 100% accuracy iirc.

Awesome creative pokemon - some were really dumb like the swarm pokes, 1st 2 bug species etc. But the awesomeness of Crobat, Umbreon, Espeon, Skarmory, etc. made up for it.
Zubat species...doesn't suck anymore? A psychic and dark eveelution? The psychic is pretty good and has bite to **** other psychic and umbreon was awesome defensive/stall wise. Meanlook, Screech, Toxic, Baton pass lol.

Moves that really sucked in gen1 are now very useful competitively - whirlwind/roar comes to mind.

I know I'm probably missing more but most important...

It wasn't a pita to get good stats and moves with or without sharking.

No natures to have to catch the right one.
No gamble with abilities (Starmie had one that restored status after switching or something useless iirc)

It was just catch pokes with good stats and breed egg moves, typically the baby will have good stats as well.

If you didn't have time for that **** and complicated breeding chains then you could shark a move with 1 line of code and max DVs/stat exp with another 6 lines of code.

The metagame was really defensive and stallish from what I've heard, but there's so many other good things.

At least there's a bigger pool of useable pokemon. RBY teams were

Chansey/Starmie/(Golem/Rhydon)/Tauros and pick two of Snorlax/Zapdos/Jolteon/Exeggutor/Gengar/jynx/hypno like Riddle said. If you didn't have 2 psychic you were doing it wrong.

The ease of playing competitively ingame is still awesome today. But overall competitively I think r/s/e because they were so much deeper...but along with that came a lot of time whether raising from scratch or entering 60 lines of code for the right moves, nature, ability, stats, held item, where caught, etc.

RBY was also good especially nostalgia wise. FYI, I stopped playing after gen2 but after leafgreen/fire red were released I played r/s/e competitively on a simulator. IMO it seemed like game freak was running out of ideas for the pokemon 3rd gen. Exploud wtf? Luvdisc? Nosepass? Some were cool like Zangoose and Salamence but they were few and far. My knowledge is extremely limited when it comes to gen4 and nonexistant with gen5. I'm pretty sure gen5 is black/white but I have no idea.

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
R/S/E.

I remember watching the trailer online for weeks before I got it. And the box art I think is the most epic for any of the games.

I also met
there. #272 FOREVER

Also, I thought the Pokemon had a different style to them. Nice designs.

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
After finally kicking myself in the pants enough, I finally went out and downloaded NetBattle Supremacy (that's two sims; now I just need to sneak PO onto the comp, cause I wanna try Gen V meta. I have to hide these because I'm not supposed to be downloading/installing programs on my dad's comp. >_>).

I haven't messed with gens II or III yet... but I can officially say that I quite enjoy Gen I. It's heavily luck dependent and centralized, but much simpler. Lots of prediction and reading of what your opponent will do required. :B

Incidentally, Hypno's never seen; substitute Alakazam for that. xD

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Well, I am not much of a competitive pokemon player, but I like Gen 1 and 2 the best. Gen 1 mostly because it is the "original" I guess, and it is really the only generation where I know all the pokemon, hah. In later generations, I am usually completely oblivious to more than 30% of the pokemon out there, there are so many new ones.

Top Bottom