• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats your BEST APPROACH vs METAKNIGHT?

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
The one and only character I have ever lost to in tournies is Metaknight. Metaknights are very hard at first until you come up with better APPROACH. I have won sevaral tournies here in Texas against some top players and am Team number 1 on MLGpro.com and I have SERIOUS trouble against MK and was wondering if other IC players are having the same problem and their approach to this character.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The one and only character I have ever lost to in tournies is Metaknight. Metaknights are very hard at first until you come up with better APPROACH. I have won sevaral tournies here in Texas against some top players and am Team number 1 on MLGpro.com and I have SERIOUS trouble against MK and was wondering if other IC players are having the same problem and their approach to this character.
Try using blizzard to keep them above you, and punish them with uairs. Tilts are very useful. Keep nana blizzarding so that you can space tilts and dash attacks safetly. Keep doing this to frustrate them and make them more agressive. Once that happens, start looking for openings for grabs.

DON'T MESS UP GRAB COMBOS. You need to play perfect against MK to win.

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
I also try to keep in mind not to sheild grab MK because it will most likely be spaced and downsmash.

Miller

Smash Lord
Try using blizzard to keep them above you, and punish them with uairs. Tilts are very useful. Keep nana blizzarding so that you can space tilts and dash attacks safetly. Keep doing this to frustrate them and make them more agressive. Once that happens, start looking for openings for grabs.

DON'T MESS UP GRAB COMBOS. You need to play perfect against MK to win.
Thats the exact advice I was going to say

For me, MK isnt that hard of a matchup. And really, you shouldn't approach a MK either, let them come to you, stay back with Blizzards

KRDsonic

Smash Master
If you're going to approach, approach with a short hopped blizzard. Usually it's best to let them approach you instead because he can punish you fairly easily. I tend to use Ice Blocks against them too a lot to force him to come to me. I'm not sure about how helpful desyncing is against him though, because I don't normally get enough time to start and hold a desync very long against them, and if I do they tornado because I can get one of them using a blizzard.

Rykard

Smash Ace
i find it effective to desynch ice blocks to get him in the air cause the iceys mallets out prioritize his sword to some extent especially when hes above you. othewise the rest of the suggestions here are great

B0NK

Smash Lord
The only thing I can add is to not let Metaknight separate your Ice Climbers, because once he does it's really easy for him to gimp Nana. If he gimps and kills Nana, it's usually game over because you lose the 2 best ways to damage and kill a Metaknight, desynchs and grabs. It's also not the always the best idea to desynch unless you know your guarantee to hit him with a blizzard because this also makes it easier for metaknight to separate your Ice Climbers. Like what was said before, your chaingrabs must be perfect to have a fighting chance against a good Metaknight. If the Metaknight is spacing your shield perfectly, spotdodge>D-smash to give him damage and sometimes take a stock, but don't do this often or you will become predictable.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
haha, should have read this a bit last night. I went to a tournament today and lost to a MK in the second round. There was still losers bracket, but me and my friend, who got to the third round, had to leave early.BLEH.

Lovely

Smash Lord
I would say Basic-B but if you play a Meta Knight player that spam his Basic-B then it would be hard to hit him with it. But if you use Down-B when he use it, then you'll hit that spamming Meta Knight tornado. But as somebody said, grab combo's can beat a lot of people if you know how to use it.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Metaknight is a hard character for me to verse. I usually try to dodge his attacks and look for an opening for me to grab. From there on, I just have to not mess up the chain grab or I would lose.

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
Play keep away as much as possible. Dont force grabs or you will be punished by his down smash. Be patient and let them come to you.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Play keep away as much as possible. Dont force grabs or you will be punished by his down smash. Be patient and let them come to you.
I hate that down smash...

Not only does it give you damage and knocks you away but it does a good job of separating the ice climbers. Avoid it at all cost.

Peck

Smash Apprentice
If MK gets too close Ill downb him and then quickly sideb him.
But otherwise I'd just be defensive mostly.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
Omg I hate Metaknight my good friend abuses him. I tried the suggested tactic try to space with ice blocks, keeping distance from air attack with blizzard. That was a total failure.

This is what he does he spams the foward -A to like push you away and juggles you off the stage. Then there is the mix up of course were he begins juggles with variation of forwards and down a's. to edge guard and push the person away then there is the unknown factor of the shadow loop not exactly sure when its going to happen because he does not spam it which is so devastating. Then on top of that comboing into the world wind kills you upwards.

Top Bottom