• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the use of warlock punch?

K 2

Smash Lord
I know warlock punch is a freaking powerful move that kills at 20-30%, but I've found it impossible to land because of its unbearable startup lag. Is there any use for warlock punch in a match (I usually play 1 vs 1) other than the warlock punch recovery? How do I land a warlock punch on my opponent? I've tried a warlock punch after techchasing my opponent, but that doesn't seem to work either.

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
Just use the warlock puch at completly random times, you'd be surpirsed at how well that works, even in 1v1 matches.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Warlock punch kills around 30-38%, which is why it's very hard to land. Think of it as a smash, use it when the oppenent DI is towards you, that's the most effective way of using it.

Another tip, try using it twice in a row, I mostly land a hit like this. I don't mean, spam it twice in a row, but rather postion yourself then time it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
There are TWO uses for the Warlock Punch.

1. Punish a Broken shield. Ganondorf does have a fair shot at breaking a shield with his powerful aerials and stuff. So if that happens, you know the drill.

2. Recovery. A reverse reverse Warlock Punch has the property of very good aerial control not to mention the momentum boost when Ganondorf does his backhand, so you can charge up a Murder Fist while gaining ground towards the stage if you DIed a hit right in the first place.

In every other situation you would consider the Warlock Punch, you should use the U-tilt however. IIRC the U-tilt comes out faster. It has a LOT more range, has a LOT less ending lag, and does more shield damage. And that wind effect thing helps you land the attack, it can gimp Ike's Side-B, detonate mines, uh yeah. And best of all, your opponent still looks like a nub if they're hit by this attack.

K 2

Smash Lord
The utilt is so obvious though...and you can't choose when to release it. At least you can choose when to release a smash attack. What's IIRC?

Trapt497

Smash Ace
um, yeah...its much more bearable than u-tilt. In my opinion. There is a little more lag but there is a lot more range and power coming from warlock punch.

To be honest, do what meta-ridley said. Do it randomly. You'd be surprised. Sometimes people forget how powerful the move is and try to hit you before the start-up lag is over. Other people just mindlessly run straight into it. Again, you'd be surprised.

Other uses, besides doing it randomly, are for edgeguarding (charge it up well in advance, and it might hit them before they grab the ledge) or mindgames (turn around while charging ^.^). Like what =Shiro= said. Except with ganon, you don't have to jump before you turn around. You can turn around while standing on the ground.

K 2

Smash Lord
Ok thanks, I'll use it sparingly and hope to land one on an unsuspecting opponent.

Tenki

Smash Hero
So yeah, after you break a shield, side-taunt and reverse-warlock punch. Too good.

Occasionally, try spacing it to punish ledge attacks. That is, don't try it too often, and use it if you notice that your opponent has a pattern of doing so. It's much slower than Falcon Punch, so don't think that jumping at someone and doing a reverse Warlock Punch is going to work (bad habit after playing Falcon for too long lol).

Like previously mentioned, it's nice for recovery and for scaring people away from you, and occasionally killing them. I have a replay of myself finishing the game by doing an off-screen recovery from the upper left corner of the map and doing a Reverse Warlock Punch to recover.

...and I hit an Ike who was double jumping to F-air me.

canswer

Smash Cadet
i use the warlock punch successfully ALL the time it just takes practice... there are really about 20 threads talking about this EXACT same idea so please read those before making more

two things will make you land 50% more warlock punches.

1. always short hop/full jump/ start high up in the air (DONT USE ON THE GROUND)

2. learn to reverse and double reverse the warlock punch and ALWAYS reverse or double reverse it, it does more damage and has alot more knockback..

Trapt497

Smash Ace
^^Why should we never use it on the ground, again? To make it less predictable?

And, I never new reverse punch did more damage and knockback...thats very interesting...

K 2

Smash Lord
Seriously..does warlock punch need any more knockback than it already has?

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Seriously..does warlock punch need any more knockback than it already has?
It doesn't necesarily need it, but, heck, if it kills at lower percents, who am I to complain? :D More knockback is always a good thing. Even for something that is already as powerful as ganon's warlock punch.

K 2

Smash Lord
Ah, you can never be too rich or too powerful. Ganon squeezes every bit of knockback from his warlock punch that he possible can.

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
Warlock Punch is useful to try and punish an opponent that happens to recover on stage, or to even make them grab the ledge when off-stage instead of risking getting hit.

Jumping into the opponent with a reverse WP or ledge jumping with a reverse WP can also hit a decent amount of the time.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
what does IIRC stand for then?
If I recall correctly

Like seriously though, the U-tilt is way better than the Warlock Punch. It has like zero ending lag after it comes out so you don't get punished for missing with it. It also has soooooooo much range it's ridiculous, and actually practical for discouraging people from ledgecamping. 1:14 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0m5a9mOyck

If you hit someone's shield with it, it seems to do more shield damage too.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Use its warm-up time and ability to be initiated and reversed in the air to your advantage. If the opponent tries to predict your movement and uses a 'commitment' type move like Green Missle, Warlock Punch can rendezvous with them at the end of their attack. This technique requires staying out of the opponent's attack range throughout the execution until completion, and should work well after jumping from a height. It has been years, but I believe this to be an application with precise timing.

Top Bottom