• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the reason to live?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If history taught anything, it's that anything's possible. Of course, trying to control the whole of the entire universe could prove an extremely lofty goal.

Breaking any of the laws could constitute as magic, but not impossible. Granted I just call magic something we can't explain or really understand the deep processes.

Either way, if it was possible via science, it would not be easier.

At first I would see people being able to limit entropy, that much will happen with progress and I have no doubt about that happening for sure.

After that breaking laws that make entropy a thing would be the hard part. Before then I would guess we would find a way to get multiverses to be possible and take energy from them before we made a way for infinite energy to be produced.

The cosmic microwave background shows that the universe is expanding. It is a view of the universe at approximate 380,000 years after the Big Bang, and is by far the earliest form of the universe that man was able to observe. Whether the universe will continue to expand infinitely and result in some "Big Rip" or not remains to be seen, but it has been agreed that eventually, the microwave background will become impossible to detect given enough time.
interesting, I've heard people criticize that the way people are interpreting the data isn't conclusive to this. Or rather if it is, not in the way we think.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I keep getting pulled AFK, so the responses keep piling up. XS

Since we're kind of on the topic, there's a theory that suggests that the universe isn't infinitely expanding, but rather expanding just to shrink down to a single point after expanding to a certain threshold, to then cause another Big Bang in an endless loop of Big Bangs.

Whatever the ultimate outcome may be for our universe and our existence, one thing is constant: Energy cannot be created or destroyed; it merely changes. So in truth, even after death, everything about us, including the electrical energies that makes up our consciousness will be dispersed elsewhere. For all we know, I turn on my lamp, and the vestiges of Abraham Lincoln's beard could be used to power the bulb until I turn it off.
This is known as the Big Crunch. The idea that at one point, expansion will cease and reverse, and the universe will implode back into a singularity, only to re-expand again.

I recall that whether this will happen depends on Critical Mass. Basically, there's a tug of war between Mass and Metric Expansion. If the mass of the universe is greater than the expansion, then gravity will eventually overpower expansion and reverse it, leading to the Crunch. If the expansion rate is stronger than the total mass, then gravity won't be able to stop the expansion, and the universe will expand exponentially, leading to Heat Death (this is the current hypothesis). And if both values are roughly the same, then eventually, gravity/mass and metric expansion will become locked in stalemate, and the universe will stop expanding at a stable size.

Anyway, I never found any real poetry in the idea that our elemental constituents will subsist in different forms. Both because "I" won't exist (so I won't care), and because "I" am defined by the particular arrangement of starstuff that is typing this very message. Is the unending quality of energy supposed to bring us solace or something?

This does raise one question: How did particles that help set the stage for existence come to be, and was there anything or nothing that preceded what could be seen as their spontaneous and even "miraculous" appearance?
This is The Question, isn't it? Where did the singularity of origin "come from", and/or what sustained its existence?

It should also be noted that things were pretty loopy in the trillionnths-of-a-second of the early universe; particles as we know them only came around later. IIRC, the earliest posited stuff was quark-gluon plasma.

Doomsday via heat death? Possible and seems inevitable if the laws of energy are true.

It's something we can't solve right now but the answer would be how would one turn unorganized energy into something usable. The other idea, how does one create energy from nothing and we break that law? Not possible right now. The only way to break this system is to find a way to make a system that produces or prevents energy from being lost to friction or other sources.

I believe this is possible in theory to overcome, but so far there is no way to make it happen right now. Slow it down? that is for sure possible in the future, completely stop it? unknown though I believe it to be possible.
I once read a sci-fi book by Robert J. Sawyer called Starplex. One plot thread had aged stars coming through wormhole gateways whose origins were unknown. We eventually learn that people from the future were sending back old stars through wormholes to increase the mass of the present universe, so that the Critical Mass (see my response to Claire above) could be regulated at zero, such that gravity and metric expansion become stalemated a(and therefore, stopping both expansion and contraction in a stable universe). Sending matter back through time served as a loophole in the Law of Conservation of Energy (energy can't be created and destroyed, but as per the story, you can add more through time-travel).

The book is alright, all things considered. I was reminded of this plot thread, so I thought I'd share.

As for how to actually counteract Heat Death, the key would be in understanding the nature of Dark Stuff, and its relationship to gravity. Granted, we'll likely not be able to figure out how to apply this knowledge for some time to come. That'll be future humanity's burden, if we make it that far (and care to do something about Heat Death, if it's possible).

And if this universe is ****ed, we can always scooch over to another. 8P

Incidentally, Starplex dealt with Dark Stuff too:

[collapse=Starplex Dark Stuff]
Another subplot was in communication with Dark Matter entities -- spheres the size of Jupiter which were sentient.

It's posited by a character by the end of the book that these Dark Matter beings were behind the "sculpting" of our galaxy into its spiral form, and that they've been sculpting galaxies throughout the universe since the beginning, as per their artistic predilections.

They're also thought to be the Necessary Observer -- the Singularity State was an unobserved wave function, but in order for it to be collapsed, it must be measured (i.e. observed). Dark Matter was that Necessary Observer, collapsing the wave function into our universe, in a chicken-and-egg scenario (i.e. the Observer and the Universe co-created one another).

Interesting ideas, clearly.
[/collapse]

People aren't as sure if the universe is expanding or not though, something people are trying to figure out, and if it is, is it going faster? If so, why would it?
I recall the current commonplace hypothesis for metric space expansion having something to do with Dark Energy/Dark Matter. This element appears to be pushing and stretching the fabric of space-time, having a sort of negative pressure.

Dark Energy accounts for about 68% of the universe's mass, and Dark Matter about 23% (and observable everyday matter at 4%). These elements only interact with gravity; they don't interact with electromagnetism at all -- neither absorbing nor reflecting light -- hence the name of "Dark" Matter and Energy.

And if gravity can bend and warp the fabric of space-time (as per the Theory of Relativity), and Dark Stuff interacts exclusively with gravity, then it makes sense to suspect that such a widespread element as Dark Stuff might be causing the metric expansion.

The exponential rate of expansion is inferred from blue-shifting and red-shifting. It is observed that the majority of galaxies are moving away from our own, and the farther out they are, the more red-shifted they are (i.e. the faster their acceleration). It's the Doppler Effect, but with light. And the distance-acceleration ratio appears to be exponential, hence the metric expansion of space.

The cosmic microwave background shows that the universe is expanding. It is a view of the universe at approximate 380,000 years after the Big Bang, and is by far the earliest form of the universe that man was able to observe. Whether the universe will continue to expand infinitely and result in some "Big Rip" or not remains to be seen, but it has been agreed that eventually, the microwave background will become impossible to detect given enough time.
The redshifting of mostly all galaxies relative to us demonstrates expansion, not the CMB. The CMB simply represents the point where the universe transitioned from being opaque to being transparent.

Before that point, the universe was small enough that everything was cramped together, so photons didn't have room to move. It was after the CMB threshold that light was able to escape and move freely. And this is why we can see the CMB, and why we can't see any earlier than that (for there were no stray photons that came before that point).

And lastly, to bring this all full circle, one reason to live is to see whether we'll crack the mystery of Dark Stuff and Singularity Origin within our lifetime. 8D

Last edited:

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac
I keep getting pulled AFK, so the responses keep piling up. XS

This is known as the Big Crunch. The idea that at one point, expansion will cease and reverse, and the universe will implode back into a singularity, only to re-expand again.

I recall that whether this will happen depends on Critical Mass. Basically, there's a tug of war between Mass and Metric Expansion. If the mass of the universe is greater than the expansion, then gravity will eventually overpower expansion and reverse it, leading to the Crunch. If the expansion rate is stronger than the total mass, then gravity won't be able to stop the expansion, and the universe will expand exponentially, leading to Heat Death (this is the current hypothesis). And if both values are roughly the same, then eventually, gravity/mass and metric expansion will become locked in stalemate, and the universe will stop expanding at a stable size.

Anyway, I never found any real poetry in the idea that our elemental constituents will subsist in different forms. Both because "I" won't exist (so I won't care), and because "I" am defined by the particular arrangement of starstuff that is typing this very message. Is the unending quality of energy supposed to bring us solace or something?

This is The Question, isn't it? Where did the singularity of origin "come from", and/or what sustained its existence?

It should also be noted that things were pretty loopy in the trillionnths-of-a-second of the early universe; particles as we know them only came around later. IIRC, the earliest posited stuff was quark-gluon plasma.

I once read a sci-fi book by Robert J. Sawyer called Starplex. One plot thread had aged stars coming through wormhole gateways whose origins were unknown. We eventually learn that people from the future were sending back old stars through wormholes to increase the mass of the present universe, so that the Critical Mass (see my response to Claire above) could be regulated at zero, such that gravity and metric expansion become stalemated a(and therefore, stopping both expansion and contraction in a stable universe). Sending matter back through time served as a loophole in the Law of Conservation of Energy (energy can't be created and destroyed, but as per the story, you can add more through time-travel).

The book is alright, all things considered. I was reminded of this plot thread, so I thought I'd share.

As for how to actually counteract Heat Death, the key would be in understanding the nature of Dark Stuff, and its relationship to gravity. Granted, we'll likely not be able to figure out how to apply this knowledge for some time to come. That'll be future humanity's burden, if we make it that far (and care to do something about Heat Death, if it's possible).

And if this universe is ****ed, we can always scooch over to another. 8P

Incidentally, Starplex dealt with Dark Stuff too:

[collapse=Starplex Dark Stuff]
Another subplot was in communication with Dark Matter entities -- spheres the size of Jupiter which were sentient.

It's posited by a character by the end of the book that these Dark Matter beings were behind the "sculpting" of our galaxy into its spiral form, and that they've been sculpting galaxies throughout the universe since the beginning, as per their artistic predilections.

They're also thought to be the Necessary Observer -- the Singularity State was an unobserved wave function, but in order for it to be collapsed, it must be measured (i.e. observed). Dark Matter was that Necessary Observer, collapsing the wave function into our universe, in a chicken-and-egg scenario (i.e. the Observer and the Universe co-created one another).

Interesting ideas, clearly.
[/collapse]

I recall the current commonplace hypothesis for metric space expansion having something to do with Dark Energy/Dark Matter. This element appears to be pushing and stretching the fabric of space-time, having a sort of negative pressure.

Dark Energy accounts for about 68% of the universe's mass, and Dark Matter about 23% (and observable everyday matter at 4%). These elements only interact with gravity; they don't interact with electromagnetism at all -- neither absorbing nor reflecting light -- hence the name of "Dark" Matter and Energy.

And if gravity can bend and warp the fabric of space-time (as per the Theory of Relativity), and Dark Stuff interacts exclusively with gravity, then it makes sense to suspect that such a widespread element as Dark Stuff might be causing the metric expansion.

The exponential rate of expansion is inferred from blue-shifting and red-shifting. It is observed that the majority of galaxies are moving away from our own, and the farther out they are, the more red-shifted they are (i.e. the faster their acceleration). It's the Doppler Effect, but with light. And the distance-acceleration ratio appears to be exponential, hence the metric expansion of space.

The redshifting of mostly all galaxies relative to us demonstrates expansion, not the CMB. The CMB simply represents the point where the universe transitioned from being opaque to being transparent.

Before that point, the universe was small enough that everything was cramped together, so photons didn't have room to move. It was after the CMB threshold that light was able to escape and move freely. And this is why we can see the CMB, and why we can't see any earlier than that (for there were no stray photons that came before that point).

And lastly, to bring this all full circle, one reason to live is to see whether we'll crack the mystery of Dark Stuff and Singularity Origin within our lifetime. 8D
I just wanna say I give you all the props for knowing so much lmao. I see you on alot of threads posting nothing but facts and it's great to see someone know facts rather than just go on saying trash. (not that anyone here has said trash, js)

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I just wanna say I give you all the props for knowing so much lmao. I see you on alot of threads posting nothing but facts and it's great to see someone know facts rather than just go on saying trash. (not that anyone here has said trash, js)
I have an amateur's interest in astrophysics and cosmology (and science generally), so I've acquired some facts over the course of my layman's studies.

Glad you appreciate my posts. I'll try not to let you down. *salute*

And there's another reason to live -- if you kill yourself, you'll miss out on Sehnsucht's entertaining and enlightening posts. ;)

Last edited:

Zoa

Smash Ace
Seeing Sehnsucht's posts reminds me of my layman love for astronomy, physics, and other philosophical concepts that I've had to put on hold for my family. Thank you sir/madam for reminding me of why I pursue this knowledge and enjoy doing so.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Seeing Sehnsucht's posts reminds me of my layman love for astronomy, physics, and other philosophical concepts that I've had to put on hold for my family. Thank you sir/madam for reminding me of why I pursue this knowledge and enjoy doing so.
Everyone in this thread is my cosmic homie. *fistpound*

Let's hope you get a chance at immersing yourself in these topics again before other galaxies get too far from us to observe. 8D

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Is the unending quality of energy supposed to bring us solace or something?
In truth, it hardly matters. Whether it bring solace to one or not, the end result is that we'd be dead, and would be unable to care whether we had solace or not after that point... Unless one believes in life after death? But that's a completely different debate altogether.

@ #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu , @ Claire Diviner Claire Diviner , @ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht , @ LightlyToasted LightlyToasted If you guys like sci fi lit, you should check out harlan ellison's "I have no mouth and I must scream" It's a great short story about the last 4 or 5 people on earth trapped inside a computer who are at the computer's mercy
http://styrofoam.voidaudio.net/ihavenomouthandimustscream.pdf
I'll check it out at some later point.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
In truth, it hardly matters. Whether it bring solace to one or not, the end result is that we'd be dead, and would be unable to care whether we had solace or not after that point... Unless one believes in life after death? But that's a completely different debate altogether.
I was just wondering why you brought that whole tangent up. That our material constituents disperse and are recycled is neat trivia, but tells us nothing about why we should care that this occurs. It doesn't seem relevant to questions of why (and how) we should live.

I'll check it out at some later point.
I've actually heard of this one, but never actually read it. So I'll also be taking a quick read.

8D

8|

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I was just wondering why you brought that whole tangent up. That our material constituents disperse and are recycled is neat trivia, but tells us nothing about why we should care that this occurs. It doesn't seem relevant to questions of why (and how) we should live.
As far as why we should live, my answer is in the quote below, in case you missed it. Lex Luthor summed up my thoughts.
I choose to live simply to spectate the growth (or lack thereof) of humanity and society. So far, I'm not impressed.

Lex Luthor's speech to A.M.A.Z.O. in the "Justice League Unlimited" episode, "The Return", just about sums up my answer for you:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
^I saw that post previously. My question was why you brought up "energy can't be created/destroyed", specifically.

But I digress.

And since we're at it, I don't think I've actually yet listed my Reasons To Live, despite my contributions to the thread. So I'll try my hand at it here:

At the very least, I have no Reason To Die. It is either the case that death results in the end of my experience -- and I enjoy my present experience, so death is less desirable -- or I endure in some form, like in an afterlife, in which case this life is as arbitrary as the next (and I enjoy this experience, so no need to rush things).

The fulfillment of the senses is certainly one benefit of being alive. And just seeing how the world evolves a la A.M.A.Z.O. is something else to keep me occupied -- as is the accumulation of knowledge in areas of interest (as exemplified by preceding posts in this thread).

But my current ongoing drive is the fulfillment of my creative ambitions -- to write and publish original fiction, and who knows what other creative endeavours to spring from there. There are designs I must enact, ideas I must explore, questions at which I must whittle away, before it is all said and done. And I'm currently working toward this right now; I have an interview this Friday as part of my application process to a certain college, and if I can get enrolled, the viability of my master plans will become many fold more assured (and accelerated). >8)

Like Luther before me, I'll leave my mark yet. Supposing, of course, that I don't get hit by a bus anytime soon.

Other

Smash Rookie
I would like to propose a related question. What's the point in asking? One, is this really the place to be discussing existential topics? And two, does it matter? We are alive, we live, and therefore we must somehow decide that life is worth living. There is no real reason to live, and sure, we probably should kill ourselves. I've been an atheist pretty much since I've had a conception of God, but I don't find it makes it any harder to live. I believe that if someone truly believes there is no point to living, they would kill themselves. However, the majority of us choose to live, and therefore we must find something that we decide is reason enough to live, whether consciously or not.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I would like to propose a related question. What's the point in asking? One, is this really the place to be discussing existential topics? And two, does it matter? We are alive, we live, and therefore we must somehow decide that life is worth living. There is no real reason to live, and sure, we probably should kill ourselves. I've been an atheist pretty much since I've had a conception of God, but I don't find it makes it any harder to live. I believe that if someone truly believes there is no point to living, they would kill themselves. However, the majority of us choose to live, and therefore we must find something that we decide is reason enough to live, whether consciously or not.
-This is the Debate Hall section, so any topic that can be (seriously) debated may be presented for discussion and debate. This includes so-called questions of existentialism (which would be classified as debates on matters of philosophy).

-We don't need to decide that life is worth living, and the absence of meaning tells us nothing about whether we should pursue suicide.

Whatever purpose that one ascribes to life, it one deems it necessary or desirable, must come from the human experience first and foremost -- reason, emotion, values, etc. -- because these are the arbiters of choice. A prescribed reason of living (e.g. a theological or ideological one) means nothing unless and until you choose to accept it, as a result of rational and emotional consideration.

If it is the case that one must find a Reason To Live, and that your experience is the final arbiter of what choices you make, what you care about, etc., then you have the freedom to pursue any endeavour(s) in life. But there is no obligation to do so, which is a point I think you leave out of your deliberations.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Gonna run down the thread from Page 1. Oh boy.
@ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht
I'm not sure this question is makes much sense.
It makes perfect sense. But I imagine you're going to make it into a mountain over a mole hill in an attempt to intellectualize the question.
S said:
At a glance, the state of being alive doesn't seem to suggest that a reason for living is implied or necessary. What is it about being alive suggests that there is a reason for living, or that one needs such a reason? And why should we kill ourselves if there is no such reason (supposing there ever was such a reason to begin with)?
Cue in thread title.
S said:
The first question ("Is there a reason for living?") doesn't appear to follow from the second one ("If there is no reason for living, should we kill ourselves?"). The former doesn't imply the latter.
Yes you are correct, two different statement structures have no relation with each other. Much like one might ask:
a) Is there a reason for why the sky is perceived to be blue?
b) If there is no reason for the sky to be blue, should we kill ourselves?
Furthermore making these two statements and noting they are different is incredibly juvenile in the sense that the identity each statement achieves is completely different altogether. Statement A poses a question while Statement B proposes an action if the necessary condition i.e. no reason 4 living is fulfilled.
S said:
In order to make any headway on this question, you'd have to:
A) Define what you mean by "living";
B) Define what you mean by "reason" for "living";
C) Determine what "reasons" there might be for "living", if any;
D) If there are "reasons", determine if any of them are necessary to follow, and if so, which is the one (or more) we should follow;
E) If there are no "reasons", determine what course of action is necessary in the absence of "reasons" for "living" (which would include suicide, among other possible courses of action).
A] Is superfluous.
B] Is superfluous.
C] Is superfluous.
D] Is superfluous.
E] Is superfluous.
The five prompts you just blew up into a paragraph could have simply been requested as a desire for defining the prompt. Again attempting to 'intellectualize' a rather simple topic to give off the impression that it is more than what it is, simply a reflection on what people personally take to be a meaning for life. I feel that this entire prompt schematic is just another method of 'WOW DEBATE HALL SO DEEP' syndrome i.e. pseudo-intellectual syndrome because you probably won't even adhere to your own prompt to make "headway on this question". Actually without even going into looking at the rest of the thread I'm going to bet that you don't even adhere to your own prompt.
S said:
Also, what does God have to do with being alive, having a reason to live, and/or pursuing suicide in the absence of the existence of reasons to live? You'd have to first define "God", then show how "God's" non-existence warrants, or necessitates, the pursuit of suicide.
No, they don't. The absence of your reasoning for why there needs to be an elaboration of "God" is similar in nature to how someone might provide it as an answer. It being an answer doesn't require any further explanation because there is no deeper standard or judge who validates or denies the reasoning anyone gives for their perception of why they exist. To state that there needs to be a deeper religious context is laughable since religious inquiry at its deepest roots is ultimately a personal question of faith and interpersonal reaction with the forces that exist within the confines of it.
S said:
I'm just responding to the framing of the question, so I haven't given any thought to any solutions to the question. Perhaps at a later time, I might offer some thoughts on whether there are reasons for living, and whether we should pursue them if any exist.
In other words, this post is garbage. The question is straight-forward. Pretending that the question isn't incredibly linear is like pretending that the most real answers to the meaning of life could simply be someone believing there is no meaning because they just got mugged on the street or fired from employment or some of the other actually valid answers that don't try to actually answer a basic prompt.
S said:
Are you suggesting that the OP is entertaining notions of suicide, hence why they forwarded this particular thread topic? Nothing about the question (i.e. whether we should kill ourselves in the absence of reasons for living) implies that the person asking the question is suicidal, or depressed, or whatever else.
No. He understands that people ask this question for reasons other than looking for the answer of finding a meaning. People do this b.s. when they're really looking for something else. It's disgusting how you intentionally act ignorant in order to coax out pseudo-intellectualism from the most basic statements.
S said:
Besides, even if the OP were suicidal and/or depressed, it wouldn't change that the question itself is a perfectly valid topic of philosophical inquiry and investigation.
If you are able to ascertain the question itself as having the qualities of being 'valid' and a 'philosophical inquiry' then why did you state: "I'm not sure this question is makes much sense." You cannot evaluate a statement that you do not understand, you cannot appraise it as being 'valid' or a 'philosophical inquiry.' It just seems like this subforum is now half troll posts and the other half being complete Sophistry b.s. where people are attempting to turn the simplest discussion topics into a crappy philosophy 101 paper. I guess to some people who have the privilege, life is just a waste of time to kill for them.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
One of the most unhealthy and pointless questions a human being could ask and an unfortunate tendency derived from our brain's greater capacity for thought over the other animals that needn't give pause to ponder such divorced and misleading concepts.
Oh boy. Okay let's talk about this. Debating about the meaning of life could be considered 'unhealthy' and 'pointless.' However let's look at this contextually. Would anyone talking sensibly consider asking this question to fulfill their criteria of what constitutes something that would jeopardize their mental health? No. I would say that we are more apt to consider habits of video game addiction and viewing porn to potentially have more of a malicious mental development factor on developing minds due to the influence of the limbic system to promote such behavior over prioritizing long terms goals and exercising rational course of action dictated by our frontal cortex. Therefore, I wouldn't consider it to necessarily be an 'unhealthy' question when observed by other commonly pursued behaviors that I think pose a larger risk factor to individual mental health than contemplation over one's existence. Are there more fruitful venues? Of course. But seriously, most people aren't going to willingly pursue positive long term mental health behaviors if it means abandoning on a lot of short term pleasures because those (to the individual) feel like the only thing that is keeping them sane and serve as a coping mechanism to the stress they endure in life.

As for being a 'pointless question' I disagree.

This is a pointless question.

This is another pointless question.

This is who you deal with.

This is life.

This is a picture of a galaxy.

This is a theoretical picture of a Christian-Judeau God.

But again, this is life.

I agree though. It is a pointless question. But it's not a pointless question when looked at the questions people really look at on a daily basis. It is really not a pointless question when it comes to context, which is that we have a dominantly vacuous society that leaches off organized systems for survival. In this understanding, it is not a pointless question. But when looked at by itself through someone who has the mental fortitude of Superman strength then I agree. 100%.

As for divorced and misleading concepts, I don't get it.

I mean are you being sophisticated by attempting to say that the meaning of life should be divorced from the actual process of living because the two are independent concepts?

And misleading as in... to lead someone in the wrong direction? Like the direction of pursuing the meaning of life? I.E. To become a philosophy major in college or to waste time responding to threads like this on smashboards?

The statement leaves a lot to interpretation. Unless I'm just being stupid. I'm not intentionally being stupid though.

H said:
A preference for life over nonexistence is the only reason there is and the only reason you need. Although I'd prefer to say there is no answer to that question because it's not a valid inquiry. It's simply a waste of time.
I want to kill myself. But I don't necessarily want to actually kill myself if you know what I mean. It's just the very end is going to be reached sooner than what may have been originally indicated. But let's say that I fail killing myself, then I have to endure even more pain from having failed my suicide attempt. I think suicide parameters need to be a bit fine tuned rather than simply telling people that they have a preference for one or the other hence why the person you're talking to is still alive. Also there are some major goals that need to be met that are higher on the priority list. So you can say that I'm just procrastinating on ending my life, but I suppose to some people that is what their life can be summarized as before they die. A procrastination.

H said:
Life has no meaning, no plot, no main characters, no writer, and we would be better off not lingering on that fact and instead living ironically, accepting the Absurd for what it is. But not embracing it, lest you not be the daimonic's master but rather the daimonic's thrall.
I don't think it's really a malicious idea to ponder when considering all the other topics people waste their time thinking about. The world is absurd and understanding that life is just so empty that someone believes a Justice League episode on A.M.A.Z.O. fulfills their meaning in life from a meglomaniac super villain helps you to understand that there's really nothing established in this world to make a utility statement like equivocating life to efficacy points or efficiency standards. Because people are just so empty inside that they will fill themselves with any garbage they can put inside their "greater capacity for thought" results in my point of view that actually relishing in such a point of view gives someone a degree of mental toughness. I.E. It's no big deal, you know, it's just life. What else do you expect.

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yes it is unhealthy to entertain delusions about one's existence because it promotes subtle or even overt levels of narcissism (an attempt at inflating the importance of one's place, one's ideals), dehumanizes the species (given that it is attributing nonexistent attributes to existing individuals), and promotes existential crises (seeking meaning that doesn't actually exist).

I want to kill myself. But I don't necessarily want to actually kill myself if you know what I mean. It's just the very end is going to be reached sooner than what may have been originally indicated. But let's say that I fail killing myself, then I have to endure even more pain from having failed my suicide attempt. I think suicide parameters need to be a bit fine tuned rather than simply telling people that they have a preference for one or the other hence why the person you're talking to is still alive. Also there are some major goals that need to be met that are higher on the priority list. So you can say that I'm just procrastinating on ending my life, but I suppose to some people that is what their life can be summarized as before they die. A procrastination.
It is a matter of will; for example, I'm similar-ish. I don't want to live, but I don't want to die because I want to want to live, due to my body's innate will to live and my past clinging onto me. In addition, it takes a will to kill oneself, a particular drive, which creates a paradox because the entire source of such thoughts to begin with are the lack of the will to live. The will to live and the will to die are the same in this instance. In the end, it's a preference over the idea of existence of nonexistence that prevails. I'm a worthless NEET, and I can (and do) think I'm nothing, but I know I'm not. I am not advancing my life with any conatus (my spring is rusty/damaged/whatever), but that doesn't mean it is an expression of me longing to cast myself away even without any actual hope of changing, even if the idea of not changing makes it all not worthwhile, seemingly.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Hey there, @ #HBC | Acrostic #HBC | Acrostic :

Gonna run down the thread from Page 1. Oh boy.
It makes perfect sense. But I imagine you're going to make it into a mountain over a mole hill in an attempt to intellectualize the question.
The format of my post is a consequence of how I've gone about writing posts in the DH.

It's essentially brainstorming, exploring the idea as I go. Prior to writing that post, I'd never formalized thoughts on Reasons To Live. So I began from scratch, exploring the implications of the thread topic and seeing what came of it.

I've been enjoying making use of the DH in this way -- taking baby steps in sorting out and putting into words what I might actually think on these various topics and issues. I'm fairly new to this domain of online exchange (i.e. debates and/or discussions on matters of philosophy/theology/science/politics/social issues etc.). Before joining Smashboards, I'd hardly done any of it before.

And it's also why I'm pleased to see that you've offered a thorough critique. I won't be able to check errors and blind spots and so on in a vacuum.

Yes you are correct, two different statement structures have no relation with each other. Much like one might ask:
a) Is there a reason for why the sky is perceived to be blue?
b) If there is no reason for the sky to be blue, should we kill ourselves?
Furthermore making these two statements and noting they are different is incredibly juvenile in the sense that the identity each statement achieves is completely different altogether. Statement A poses a question while Statement B proposes an action if the necessary condition i.e. no reason 4 living is fulfilled.
Now, it's been a few months since I first wrote and posted that first post, but I recalled wanting to be thorough. It's a habit I've ended up acquiring in participating in forums. Leave no stone unturned, and so on.

So while underlining these relations may not have been necessary (stating the obvious, etc.), I was inclined to do so as a result of linear brainstorming. If it's the case that you find this approach sloppy, then I wouldn't disagree. I'm interested in improvement, and know full well that I'm stepping into the ring with negligible training, as it were. But I'm working on it, little by little.

A] Is superfluous.
B] Is superfluous.
C] Is superfluous.
D] Is superfluous.
E] Is superfluous.
The five prompts you just blew up into a paragraph could have simply been requested as a desire for defining the prompt. Again attempting to 'intellectualize' a rather simple topic to give off the impression that it is more than what it is, simply a reflection on what people personally take to be a meaning for life. I feel that this entire prompt schematic is just another method of 'WOW DEBATE HALL SO DEEP' syndrome i.e. pseudo-intellectual syndrome because you probably won't even adhere to your own prompt to make "headway on this question". Actually without even going into looking at the rest of the thread I'm going to bet that you don't even adhere to your own prompt.
It once more seems it's coming down to my approach.

I didn't think about "intellectualizing" things; in fact, this is my first encounter with the concept of "intellectualization". Maybe for future reference, you could provide a definition of the term.

In any case, I simply saw the question -- "What's the Reason to Live?" -- and thought "well, that's rather vague, so I'll cover all the bases I can and see what that yields". It's like approaching a math problem; you take account of all the variables at play, what equations are relevant, and follow things through, wherever they lead.

Discussion on reasons for living need not be so systematic, of course, but that's both how I saw it fit to approach the question, and how I tend to mentally work through these kinds of topics.

I'm not sure one approach is more valid than another, so long as one's goals are clearly expressed. In my case, that first post was an formative hypothesis one how one might go about trying to address the question. If I failed to make that clear, however, then I'll accept that misstep.

And if it's the case that I didn't try applying this proposed "methodology" myself in subsequent posts, then perhaps I should do so soon. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't (as you forecast), as my goal for that post was the proposition of a method, and nothing more.

As for the Debate Hall being deep, I suppose it's only as deep as you care to make it -- as the various posts in this thread illustrate. I don't remember thinking about this being a deep question; I saw a question that I had not previously put applied, on-paper thinking into, so I gave it a shot.

If that makes me a pseudo-intellectual, then so be it. Though the ideal is that in time, I further refine both my cognitive faculties and my writing approach and format -- if not to make better posts in the DH, then certainly to build some foundation for application elsewhere.

No, they don't. The absence of your reasoning for why there needs to be an elaboration of "God" is similar in nature to how someone might provide it as an answer. It being an answer doesn't require any further explanation because there is no deeper standard or judge who validates or denies the reasoning anyone gives for their perception of why they exist. To state that there needs to be a deeper religious context is laughable since religious inquiry at its deepest roots is ultimately a personal question of faith and interpersonal reaction with the forces that exist within the confines of it.
I'm afraid I'm having trouble following this bit. I'll try to reword it, to see if I understand:

Asking that one clearly define their conception of God is futile, because when it comes to matters of faith, there's a level of subjectivity at play. As a result, you can't demand objective definitions for something that, for most, is a highly personal, intuitive affair.

Is this anywhere in the ballpark? If not, could you clarify?

In other words, this post is garbage. The question is straight-forward. Pretending that the question isn't incredibly linear is like pretending that the most real answers to the meaning of life could simply be someone believing there is no meaning because they just got mugged on the street or fired from employment or some of the other actually valid answers that don't try to actually answer a basic prompt.
My response to the thread topic was "how might I, or anyone else, go about addressing this question?". Is the post then a failure because I didn't address the question proper in that same post? Would it be your view that, at least in the SWF Debate Hall, one should strive to address thread topics directly (or at least, come prepared with a case to present)? I can certainly concede to that, since it would be more efficient. It would required some tinkering on the approach I've grown used to, though.

I recall that, after musing on how I'd go about addressing questions of living, I wasn't sure what I thought myself by the time I reached the end of writing the post. So I figured that first post was sufficient as an initial contribution to the discussion. As you noted previously, I might not have followed through in subsequent posts; in fact, I'm inclined to believe that's the case (I intend to scour through the thread again once I've finished this post, just to see what I actually wrote back in September or whatever).

No. He understands that people ask this question for reasons other than looking for the answer of finding a meaning. People do this b.s. when they're really looking for something else. It's disgusting how you intentionally act ignorant in order to coax out pseudo-intellectualism from the most basic statements.
My reaction was basicallty "while UltraDeino may be making a plausible inference about the OP (re: suicidal tendencies), I'm not sure this can be assumed outright, either". So I said as much.

Perhaps my wording as a bit callous in that regard, since their concerns about the OP's intent are certainly not invalid. Is it in this respect that I was being ignorant?

And once more, I agree; I approached this topic in a roundabout way. It's because I'd rather say more than I need, than to not say enough or to risk leaving out something important. These are extremes that I often struggle to compromise between, though I wouldn't disagree that I usually lean toward the former (to my detriment).

If you are able to ascertain the question itself as having the qualities of being 'valid' and a 'philosophical inquiry' then why did you state: "I'm not sure this question is makes much sense." You cannot evaluate a statement that you do not understand, you cannot appraise it as being 'valid' or a 'philosophical inquiry.'
Because I figured that the question does have merit in its pursuit. Surely, thinking about why it's worth living is a valid thing to contemplate. Seemed a reasonable assertion to me, at the time.

Yet, as per my "working through the math" approach, my first step was in examining the question as-is. I thought the question was valid to think about, but I wanted to explore the implications from scratch.

I think the issue may be because I divorced the question from all context, so that I could perform that examination. Hence my subsequent (and perhaps needless) deconstruction of the question. Perhaps the question didn't make immediate sense precisely because I stripped it of all of its context. But I wanted to do a ground-up approach, which led to a disjointed (and thus inconsistent) post structure.

It just seems like this subforum is now half troll posts and the other half being complete Sophistry b.s. where people are attempting to turn the simplest discussion topics into a crappy philosophy 101 paper. I guess to some people who have the privilege, life is just a waste of time to kill for them.
Well, I can't speak to how the DH was before I started posting here more or less regularly (i.e. August-September, or thereabouts). It does seem like it was more active and robust in the times before I joined this site. It's certainly what a couple of users have said since I've started hanging out here.

I can see how the sophistry thing could have come about (i.e. talking much yet saying nothing, faux-ignorance, etc.). Though after having outlined how I opted to write my post, would you say that it still constitutes as sophistry? I'm sure we can both agree that this is something worth avoiding.

And I'm fully aware of my privilege. I do have a lot of time on my hands, though so far as the DH is concerned, I've elected to use it to stretch my wings, as it were. To start building a philosophical foundation for myself. For while I have always been a contemplative guy, I haven't tried to structure my thoughts into coherent frameworks.

But it's never too late to start, or so I'd think.

After all this, I'm suspecting that it was either that I didn't sufficiently clarify my intent with that post, or I structured it sloppily/lazily/etc. I don't dismiss your critique outright, but since my intent wasn't to be (nor to come off as) a sophist pseudo-intellectual onanist, it seems to me the problem was in my presentation. Do you agree with my troubleshooting?

Also, I'll again thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I'm not going to be able to improve without feedback.

And if your intent is to comb through this thread, then I hope subsequent posts of mine you examine are at least a little easier on the eyes.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
o.O this thread got touchy.

ah well.

I stand by original response, obviously. If I were to die tomorrow, I would like to think I still accomplished my purpose. But that's not to say I won't still continue as if it's unfinished. That's the real trick, I think... to look at each day as another chance to do more than you've done all the previous days of your life, even if that one thing is as simple as playing another round of Smash.

LightlyToasted

Smash Cadet

The world is absurd and understanding that life is just so empty that someone believes a Justice League episode on A.M.A.Z.O. fulfills their meaning in life from a meglomaniac super villain helps you to understand that there's really nothing established in this world to make a utility statement like equivocating life to efficacy points or efficiency standards. Because people are just so empty inside that they will fill themselves with any garbage they can put inside their "greater capacity for thought" results in my point of view that actually relishing in such a point of view gives someone a degree of mental toughness. I.E. It's no big deal, you know, it's just life. What else do you expect.
But is that empty though? That we have the capacity to think we have found deeper meaning(even when it is not there). Though it could be argued that it searching a purpose is just part of man's instincts, because in finding a purpose, we typically increase chances for survival.

If someone find purpose from something, even from caring for a pet rock, no matter how much you chide that individual, or call them stupid for being too sedimental, as long as they do not waver and doubt their purpose in the rock, is their purpose still empty? Sure in your eyes it might be. But as long as they fill whatever basic physiological needs along with their emotional needs by caring for the rock, then as far as they are concerned they have meaning. However if that person ponders that there is more to life than caring for their beloved boulder, the moment they think that, the meaning of their life wavers as well.

That's not to say its a bad thing to have your life's meaning questioned or changed, but for many people it can be very difficult to cope with such rapid change.

Last edited:

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
What's the reason to live? Should we just kill ourselves because there's no god?
The reason for someone to live is up to the person to find out for themselves. Me? I live because I want to make life just a bit better for the people around me, stranger or family.

OlBigRigs

Smash Rookie
Life is a journey that we should all be happy to have. Yeah we have to work and all that good stuff, but we this is a golden time to be alive. With current advancements in technology, we live very easy lives as opposed to our ancestors. This trend will only continue, and you and I may be able to take a trip to the moon in the next 20 years or so :shades:. I believe our purpose is to contribute our time for the generations to come, so that they too will have the chance to explore, innovate, and be amazed. If we ever ponder killing ourselves due to no religion or whatever else, just look around, the world is a ****ing playground. Always explore, do things you never thought you would, and do something for the greater good. I believe this is the purpose of life

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Life is a journey that we should all be happy to have. Yeah we have to work and all that good stuff, but we this is a golden time to be alive. With current advancements in technology, we live very easy lives as opposed to our ancestors.
Yeah, I'm sure they'll be saying that in the future about us as well and think it's a golden time to be alive. Lucky unborn ********.

OlBigRigs

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I'm sure they'll be saying that in the future about us as well and think it's a golden time to be alive. Lucky unborn *******s.
Solar will cut the electric bill. Automation will cut all of your household jobs (folding clothes, mowing the lawn, etc.) People will laugh that internet once actually cost money. Advancements in agriculture and 3D printing will cause all countries (including 3rd world) to be overweight. Overweight? Nah advancements in genetics will cure that. Basically everything that we pay bills for now will be dirt cheap, free, or obsolete. Granted there will probably be other ones, but the ones we feel like we need to sustain and live happy lives will be outdated. Being born 100 years later would be nice

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Did anyone stop to consider that maybe, perhaps maybe consciousness is arbitrary? Yes, we're alive now, and we can't ever hope to recall ever existing in a prior life or not, but maybe after death, we'll just come back in some other form of consciousness eventually. I suppose "reincarnation" is the common term, but I'm not one who likes using that word myself. I like to call it arbitrary existence. More on that later, if anyone cares to discuss and debate. For now, I'll retire for the night.

GammaFoxTBG

Smash Rookie
NNID
GammaFoxTBG
The answer is quite simple: Whatever you make it to be. Everyone has their own reasons to get out of bed each morning. Some get up to serve a deity and get one step closer to utopia. Some get up because they feel a need to get the things they desire in order to enrich solely their own lives. Some get up to enrich the lives of everyone around them, particularly those they love. Some, like myself, get up because they simply want to continue life, because they don't know if there's going to be something else after they're gone, so as to make the most of each day of this short span of time called life. Or it could be a combination of any of the former reasons. Everyone has their own reasons to live, although technically we are biologically predisposed to live to pass on genes... because life, you know, being alive helps the chances of that.

Some believe there is no point to life, and that the universe is a vast, cruel, and lonely place. Some believe that this life is merely a test of devotion and faith to a higher power, where we can ascend to either a paradise or plummet to oblivion. There really isn't a way to know, which is why I take life as it is. I believe in science, and find the universe and what we do know to be fascinating. We might never discover what there is after life, but it doesn't mean we can't help each other enjoy what we have while we're here. That sort of fear of the unknown is what binds us to ensure an overall positive quality of life for those around us, keeping us from breaking into anarchy and doing only things to pleasure and help ourselves. As Richard Feynmann once said: "I would rather have questions that don't have answers than answers that can't be questioned." I could go on, but I'm tired; maybe later. I'll probably post again in a bit after I read other people's responses too; I just felt like putting out my initial perspective out there, albeit written a bit sloppily.

#deepstuffbro
#philosophygetsalltheladies

Last edited:

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
i think like this i know there is no god but i dont need a god to be a productive and intelligible human being. i know that if i show my true colors and push to the top i can make valuable contributions to the world and to others lives.

Last edited:

MrKandy

Smash Cadet
NNID
xBingox
The reason for living? The question itself is pointless and unwanted negativity, to be honest. Simply by asking "what is the reason for living" you are, in a way, implying that everyone should die, at least that is whay I am getting at. Regardless, a simple and possibly widely accepted answer would be "I do not know" or "To live".

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
What's the reason to live? Should we just kill ourselves because there's no god?
I really don't see why this is on a Smash forum, whether this is the "Debate Hall" or not. Anyways, I personally believe that there is a God, so it's really hard for me to answer this question to an atheist. But assuming that there was no God, that doesn't mean we should all kill ourselves. We've come so far in the context of technology and knowledge; why would we just end here just because we apparently had no God? There are plenty of reasons to live, you just need to find them.

Maybe I didn't answer your question. This really isn't a good question to ask online. Find someone closer and more personal to talk to you about this.

EDIT: I didn't see how long ago this was asked, or that the person asking the question was banned. My bad

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Maybe I didn't answer your question. This really isn't a good question to ask online. Find someone closer and more personal to talk to you about this.

EDIT: I didn't see how long ago this was asked, or that the person asking the question was banned. My bad
It looks as if you didn't read the posts containing varied answers and reasons by other forum members either.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Life is meant to experience, as experience comes with time, and time is all what life is about anyway. We get born, we spend time living, then we die. And experience teaches us throughout our life. Our positive and negative experiences shape up our personality after all, and it's most often that experiences give us our opinions and vallues. The very core of our personality is mostly shaped up by our own actions, and coming wisdom whilst either taking the action / or motivation for the action. And in most of the time, love is our biggest motivation ; wether it is we look for it (in someone else for example), an act of love (doing something for someone you love), or doing something you love.

Now this isn't nearly as easy as it sounds, as we all make mistakes in our life. And mistakes can have all sort of different impacts on us as human beings. Nobody reacts the same to "faillure" after all, and "faillure" is often what we feel when things don't go the way as planned. It's a natural direction, cause you did not receive the results you wanted. However, how we learn from these mistakes, you'll see what truely defines us.

Why? Cause if your goal is only to "gain" you never really meant to learn from it all anyway. And thus, you where probably not open for the "full experience". Does a butterfly complain that it has to stay in a cocoon in order to grow into it's full mature state? Questions as these should be asked more often as a reflection to our attitudes in life.

If you are only moving for "results" is the same as a catterpillar saying: "Man, let me just fly already!" whilst having no prior knowlegde of it ever becoming that catterpillar. And that's what defines us a humanity: we assume too much about life and how it "should" be, not as much what it actually is. Each of us has to admit that we simply just do not know what life is. We don't, and we never will.

I for myself am convinced that everything created on this Earth is "One". Belief systems aside, I think a very healty attitude in life is taking how it goes: do what your heart desires it to do, believe in your intuition, don't be ashamed of your own self or your creativity / imagination, listen more to your "inner self" and less to people, have respect and love for one another, and try to experience the full JOY of this life! And let this be an inner light of inspiration on everyone that lives otherwise.

I truely believe that positivity and love is the higher source of creation, and all sorts of skeptism and negativity comes out of the human mind which overanalyses everything, and doesn't appriciate what has already been given. Also, greed, envy, and all other nasty stuff comes out of this same mentality: the need to try and understand what nobody understands. And the motivation behind that? Power, control, dominion.

Would like to summarise it all with: Live the Life you Love, and Love the Life you Live. I think that this is truely our life's goal, to be able to settle our limitted, unsatisfied, envious, greedy, ignorant and constant stressed out minds into a functioning state that is more positive, less egocentric, more loving and ultimatively more relaxed and easy going.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's a train station about 100m from my house

help me out here willya?
Don't do it. Took me a few seconds to figure out your post, but don't... Even if it looks like "the only way out" that is only your pain speaking. You cannot rob yourself out of people's lifes who care for you. You will do them as much damage, if not more as you are going through now. Consider that please.

And know that when there is life, there is hope. Don't give these negative thoughts ANY ground in your brain... You'll need as much positivity as there is right now to direct your new 'phase' of life. Yes, leave behind everything that destructed your self worth and caused you pain, and focus on how you are going to tackle these obstacles, in a positive way.

Don't shelter yourself from the pain you are experiencing, try and learn to embrace it, and face your darkest thoughts and say: "I am going to turn this all around, I'm going to take control in my life again, and I'm going to live the best of it and experience the full joy of it. And nobody is going to bring me down!"

Believe in yourself brother, you are much stronger than you know!

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Did anyone stop to consider that maybe, perhaps maybe consciousness is arbitrary? Yes, we're alive now, and we can't ever hope to recall ever existing in a prior life or not, but maybe after death, we'll just come back in some other form of consciousness eventually. I suppose "reincarnation" is the common term, but I'm not one who likes using that word myself. I like to call it arbitrary existence. More on that later, if anyone cares to discuss and debate. For now, I'll retire for the night.
I see you didn't follow up on this, so allow me to prod you into expanding on these notions of Arbitrary Existence.

I also muse a lot about the arbitrary and absurd quality of experience, so I'd welcome your exploration on these matters. 8)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I see you didn't follow up on this, so allow me to prod you into expanding on these notions of Arbitrary Existence.

I also muse a lot about the arbitrary and absurd quality of experience, so I'd welcome your exploration on these matters. 8)
Consider the concept of reincarnation, where we die and are reborn at a later time after a long, dreamless "sleep" with no recollection of our past life. Now imagine that, but there's no way to control the outcome of our next life, or how we'll even exist. We can be the nicest and most generous people, and be "reborn" as a slug. For all we know, we may be born on another planet as something we couldn't even fathom, intelligent or not.

Mind you, it's just merely a theory that falls in the same realm as the whole reincarnation. I mean, why would we have our experiences right now of all times? What would have happened if we weren't born yet (parents using birth control, miscarriage, etc.)? We wouldn't have existed nor have any experience, and not that it'd hinder us, since all time before we were born were of no inconvenience to us, but do you suppose that there's a way for a sense of self to transcend beyond the body? Probably not, but it's still something I ponder all the same.

If nothing else, there is one constant, and that is energy cannot be created or destroyed; it merely changes, and this includes all energy we have ever emitted, so we still exist beyond death in some form or another, even if all the pieces that made up our self-awareness and what makes us us gets scattered into the ether, never to come together again. Just some random food for thought.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Consider the concept of reincarnation, where we die and are reborn at a later time after a long, dreamless "sleep" with no recollection of our past life. Now imagine that, but there's no way to control the outcome of our next life, or how we'll even exist. We can be the nicest and most generous people, and be "reborn" as a slug. For all we know, we may be born on another planet as something we couldn't even fathom, intelligent or not.
Would that still be "me", though? What part of "me" is being carried over into a new form?

In a spiritual context, this component is usually referred to as the soul. Does your scenario propose the soul, or some other component of transference? If there is no part of "me" that is carried over, then how could "this" life, and any life preceding or successive, belong to the same category of incarnation (i.e. all incarnations of a common root "person" or "entity")?

Mind you, it's just merely a theory that falls in the same realm as the whole reincarnation. I mean, why would we have our experiences right now of all times? What would have happened if we weren't born yet (parents using birth control, miscarriage, etc.)? We wouldn't have existed nor have any experience, and not that it'd hinder us, since all time before we were born were of no inconvenience to us, but do you suppose that there's a way for a sense of self to transcend beyond the body? Probably not, but it's still something I ponder all the same.
This ties into what is perhaps the most vexing (?) question of philosophy I have. Why I am this "I", and not some other "I" (such as "you" or anyone else)? Why am "I" the one undergoing this experience (or perhaps, why is there an experience being framed through this "I")?

I suppose this question is rooted in the Problem of Other Minds and the Hard Problem of Consciousness. If we could compare and observe the subjective, qualitative experience between entities, questions of why "me" would presumably be resolved. Though I'm not sure how one could go about doing that (unless you posit Idealism), so this question will remain vexing. But I digress.

In any case, a scenario in which there is a thing ("you") that incarnates again and again, but shares no memory/sense of self/etc. with previous incarnations may make for some cool trivia, but doesn't seem to be something worth thinking about all too much. Could such incarnations be called the same base "self" if they share nothing between them? Unless they do have a common thread that serves as the basis for reincarnation (as I raised in the segment above).

I would say that your scenario does qualify as reincarnation, if reincarnation is indeed the process by which a "part" of "you" becomes part of some new entity (and this "part" need not necessarily be memories/personality/whatever). If there is no "part" that is carried over, then it is simply incarnation.

Though even then, "incarnation" has spiritual connotations (i.e. something spiritual becoming of the flesh), so in the absence of reincarnation, I don't think "incarnation" might be the best descriptor of our current experience, since we may not have an "essence" that (re)incarnates.

If nothing else, there is one constant, and that is energy cannot be created or destroyed; it merely changes, and this includes all energy we have ever emitted, so we still exist beyond death in some form or another, even if all the pieces that made up our self-awareness and what makes us us gets scattered into the ether, never to come together again. Just some random food for thought.
I'm not sure that such energetic constituents can be classified as "me", once I break down. What am "I"? The sum of my thoughts/emotions/perspective/experiences/memories, or the gestalt sum of my material constituents?

I would say that "I" am the former. If we subscribe to the latter, defining myself as the sum of all atoms that have ever been part of my biological system, then such a definition loses potency and relevancy to questions of identity, personhood, reincarnation, and so on (since such questions are concerned with whether these qualities persist after death).

If "I" cease to exist after death, than "I" have no reason to care about such post-"I" states. Which is why the perennial nature of matter-energy is not something I find too relevant to these topics of incarnation and experience (and though I do find these facts neat, I wouldn't say it's profound).

And lastly, to tie directly into the thread topic, I don't think reincarnation suffices as a reason to live. In fact, it might be a reason for suicide, since might you want to gamble at coming back in a better incarnation. 8P

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
Some people think this subject cannot be debatable and find it a waste of time simply because they do not know the answer or have any evidence to look back to. Heck, none of us know the answer. It's philosophical. The true meaning may not be apparent at the moment, but I will never doubt the possibility of it coming to surface in the future. You can find your own definition of life, but there will always be people who disagree with you. My say is, if it works for you, and gets you where you want to head, then follow it, and forget what other people think.

Top Bottom