• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the point of tripping?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
tripping makes diddy playable, imo. it also adds a more realistic element to smash... if you fighting with someone and you went to sprint at them... isnt there a chance you could trip?
eh, I dont think quite as often as they make you do it. I mean, if these are the greatest fighters from around the world I dont think they woukd simply trip by running.

Finns7

Smash Ace
You guys dont realize what tripping really is...Think, about football how the referee's call pass interference at times that arnt bad (trip in open space), or it could be a time that is (trip next to ike fsmash). In football i was told to control what I could and let whatever happens happens, maybe sakurai thought the same for smash, Idk if it was a rumor but I heard sakurai thought of smash as a sport.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
did the game designers put this into the game for a reason? why is this? when do you trip/how can you avoid tripping?
A lot of players say it's Nintendo's way of saying GTFO to hardcore smashers. I don't think that's true.

It's simply just a failed attemp of Sakurai's to try and balance Brawl as much as possible. Supposedly, if you are winning, you are more likely to trip. Theoretically, the better you do, the worse off you and your character are for that winning match.:(

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Its not that annoying to me but still, I dont really feel it was even really necissary to put it on the game except for banana peels.

It was an attempt to add balance, but not a very good one in my opinion.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
You know.... Wouldn't it be sweet justice if the way Sakurai died was trip related?

I think it would be, anyways this thread is getting old. Can't someone close it?

Everis755

Smash Cadet
The game was not meant to be played competitively. Tripping was just another thing to add in for fun to get some laughs when people trip at key moments or just randomly too. Or, if you are crazy and think thats non-sense, its so that people have the possibility of tripping and the match turning completely around >.>.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
To make scrubs whine about how it makes SSBB into a non-competitive game.

Quit being scrubs, scrubs.

Seriously, is it a bad mechanic? Yes. Does it exist to make the game less competitive? Probably not. Its purpose was probably:

A) Someone who was very stupid thought it was a good idea.

or

B) They were trying to discourage dashing.

Lulzalot

Smash Rookie
Its a useless addition. Serves no purpose. I personally think its hilarious screaming Sakurai at the top of my lungs everytime someone trips. You can't trip if you're walking though, plus with the exception of your dash attack, you have access to your entire ground moveset.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
eh, I dont think quite as often as they make you do it. I mean, if these are the greatest fighters from around the world I dont think they woukd simply trip by running.
I wouldn't be too sure about that statement. People could easily trip out of nowhere and make themselves look like a fool, but it only happens rarely. Just like in Brawl.

Good thing someone made a football analogy because I was going to put up this link, which shows a picture of Kurt Warner tripping during the NFC Champ game against the Eagles.

http://select.daylife.com/photo/0gJs392gDXgWQ?q=Arizona+Cardinals

To be on topic, though, tripping in Brawl is a comedic relief. Nothing more. Nothing less. I like how it's random and affects players regardless of skill level because everyone can laugh at tripping instead of elitists who can make tripping impossible for anyone except complete newbs.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, really, it's like you're running to do a combo and all of the sudden, woops, I tripped. It really sucks, they probably just did that because of Diddy's bananas.

Btw, in my fangame Super Smash Bros Crusade, there is no tripping. Diddy uses a guitar instead, just thought I'd point that out. It's not like I'm PROMOTING THE GAME or anything...

Zeruda

Smash Cadet
Maybe it was put in for laughs... While Brawl can be played competitively, it's meant to be more casual, and the creators were probably like, "HAHA THIS WILL BE SO FUNNY!" But it's not. It's annoying, and I hate it. I'd homebrew my Wii and get rid of tripping, but I really have no idea how to do it, and I'm too afraid that I'll forever screw up my console.

Top Bottom