• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the funniest thing somebody has said to you about Smash?

D

Deleted member

My brother used to claim that he kept losing in games because the game was full of bugs.

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
"Smash bros is the exact same as other fighting games, why do you only play this one??"

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
Oo, I'll give you one of my own quotes:
"Lemmings are going to fly before Mewtwo's coming back to Smash".

Some quotes from other smashers:
"[Character] took a slot that [other character] deserved more"
"Yoshi was OP in Brawl!" (this was said by a little kid though, I can't blame him for Johning)
"Airdodging is too OP, just bring back Melee airdodging"

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
Oh boy, here we go. All of these quotes are from this guy I know named John. His name isn't actually John, but I think you'll get why I'm calling him that... He's one of those guys who thinks he's the best at everything for some reason, and makes a dumbass excuse for why he lost. When he wins? "Oh wow, great game dude! What a fun match, that was a really good ______ you did towards the end!" I wish he didn't force me to play Smash 3DS in class with him, I'm trying to learn, dammit.

"Nobody uses arial attacks. I've been to lots of tournaments and I can assure you nobody uses air attacks. They're too risky."

"Quit making it so I can't land!" (I was juggling him, attempting to teach him that air dodging is a thing)

"I hate it when people jump off the stage and attack me so I can't get back on. That's not how the game is supposed to be played!" (He's talking about edgegaurding. Makes me cringe every time I hear it, so I don't edgegaurd him anymore.)

"The thing I hate about (Insert any character here) is that their (Insert any move here) is too (Insert excuse here)." Every match, any character, he says this.

In response to me mentioning Diddy being top of the tier list: "Nobody uses Diddy Kong! I've never seen anyone use Diddy Kong at the tournaments I've been to." I'm not kidding, he actually said this.

And my personal favorite:

"Grappling is broken. It breaks the pace of the game and isn't mean to be used the way people use it."

Yes, he means grabbing, not a tether recovery. He calls grabbing "Grappling".

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Back in college playing some melee..

Buddy: What is in Dr. Mario's pills anyway?
Me: (hitting him with a pill and impersonating Chris Martinet's mario) It's-a-morphine!

------------

"POKEBALL, GO!" -Different buddy in college. The delivery of the line was why it was hilarious to us.

-----------------

"From hell's heart I stab at thee, LUIGI!" - Same as the second buddy. He got into it with some Moby **** paraphrasing.

------------------

Taunt: Show me your moves.
Me: That's right. Show them to me! Ow. Ow! What are you doing? Stop already! I've seen your moves! Stop showing them!

-------------------

Buddy: Damn C-Sticking Tiara-Lord.
Me: Would you stop calling Marth Tiara-Lord?
Buddy: When he stops wearing a Tiara.
Other buddy: That's to honor his sister!
Buddy: Fine, when he stops honoring his sister.

--------------

Kirby's so happy! (Said while spamming Kirby's taunt in N64. Said endlessly. It haunts my dreams)

-------------

Making my friends back up after they lose to my Mario amiibo and then going through the save process on the amiibo and then making the mario do eye contact with them and say "HE LEARNED! SKYNET HAS STARTED" the best result is making them do a 360 in their spinning chair.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
My missus when i said she should play it -

You only have 2 moves, and its crap cause the levels move.. haha

ImBroken

Smash Rookie
A friend of mine once asked me who the the guy with the green shirt and overalls was (Luigi), I dunno if you would call it stupidity rather it's being disgustingly uninformed.

Zearu

Smash Rookie
"you know… i held my controller upside down" after beating the **** outta my friend.

D

Deleted member

Don't recall the exact wording, but this is from Sakurai.

"Melee is too hard for newcomers/Melee isn't approachable to newcomers"

Which is, no offense to him, utter bullocks. Melee is an extremely approachable fighting game and was designed with it in mind, in fact I could argue it's easier to play Melee at times in lower tier play cause there's less defensive mechanics.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
"Little Mac is so overpowered!"

When asked why:
"Well... he has an instant KO move!"

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Don't recall the exact wording, but this is from Sakurai.

"Melee is too hard for newcomers/Melee isn't approachable to newcomers"

Which is, no offense to him, utter bullocks. Melee is an extremely approachable fighting game and was designed with it in mind, in fact I could argue it's easier to play Melee at times in lower tier play cause there's less defensive mechanics.
It was said in reference to when they asked him to make Brawl, make it have a focus on online, and let it be an easy jumping in point for the new slew of casual consumers who bought the Wii. So out of context it sounds more ridiculous.

D

Deleted member

It was said in reference to when they asked him to make Brawl, make it have a focus on online, and let it be an easy jumping in point for the new slew of casual consumers who bought the Wii. So out of context it sounds more ridiculous.
It was a actually mentioned in comparison to Smash 4 in recent interviews as well, very descriptively. I don't have the links on me, however.

-edit-

Found it.

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...-smash-bros-more-interesting-than-the-others/

Melee’s controls were, however, quite complicated and very tiring if the player really got into it in a serious way. This made the game less accessible for novice players and it basically ended up becoming a Smash Bros. game for hardcore fighting fans. I personally regret that, because I originally intended the Smash Bros. series to be for players who couldn’t handle such highly skilled games.
The most important thing is that the game have breadth and depth, since we would like them to be popular with both novices and hardcore gamers. We think that people who aren’t so good at turning the tables and coming back from behind can still get enjoyment out of the [new] game, even if they turn off items and Smash Balls.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

This isn't exactly a quote, but long ago my friends thought they could win the game just by spamming down B as Kirby in one place.

Porygon24

Smash Rookie
Not much of a quote but an action.

Little Cousin: I am going to ride these asteroids like Mickey Mouse (Final Destination)

Me: *Doing Nothing*

Luigi 3 stocks a kid by doing absolutely nothing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
*After the ESRB leak*

"What in the world makes you think Duck Hunt Dog is anywhere near likely?"

This was after I showed him the leak...

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
"Ugh, hitting me while I'm off the stage is so annoying and unfair!"
"Little Mac is so OP with that KO punch."
"I hate all these platforms, let's just play on Omega stages"
Etc
- my girlfriend before she got into competitive Smash. Luckily, she's gotten a lot better then when she started and no longer says any of these things

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Once my friend starting telling me that PLAYSTATION ALLSTARS was better than SMASH in general. It ended with me and 4 other dudes laughing for 15 mins straight lol
To be fair, Allstars would be a good game if their ways of taking stocks wasen't so stupid

On a related note;
A guy I worked with said Smash Bros was a kiddy game, the Bioshock series sucked and that CoD was what I should be playing
(The guy was like 30)

Last edited:

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
"Why would they bring back Lucas? He's just a clone."

If you played Brawl for more than twenty seconds you'd know that their biggest similarity is the way their recovery works. Besides that they are most certainly not the same.

and

"I wish they would've excluded Dark Pit so that they could've put in a unique character."

The reason DP's in there at all is because he was a cinch for development. A whole new character would've taken much longer to add.

Ascended

Smash Ace
When Marth was revealed for Smash 4 I remember someone saying it was a missed opportunity to replace him with Lucina.

Which brings to mind whenever someone says that such and such a character can't be in the game because they aren't relevant or haven't been in a game for X amount of years.

In regards to third-party characters, specifically Pac-Man and Ryu, when people say that they shouldn't be in because they would be boring, or they say they shouldn't be in because they don't know/like the character. Nevermind the fact that these are gaming icons we're dealing with and anyone can have a moveset made for them.

But speaking of that, when people say that such and such shouldn't be playable because they wouldn't have an "interesting" moveset. I honestly don't care if a character has an interesting moveset or not and would rather just straight up play as the character.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
"My controller didn't respond! You saw that too! That victory wasn't even deserved. If my controller would just respond I would clearly have won"

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
"X character would be too OP if they got in"
Please don't make fighting games. This is also a game full of Gods and God Slayers fighting each other.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
"A moves don't matter."

"Smash Bros stole the idea of DLC from GTA."

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
"Isn't every version of the game pretty much the same thing? I mean, you're just beating each other up in the exact same way every time, just with a few more people."

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
"Your [my character] is too [fast/powerful/spammy/etc] for my [their character] and that's why you won."
- Every time this was pulled, I won with at least 2 stocks.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It was a actually mentioned in comparison to Smash 4 in recent interviews as well, very descriptively. I don't have the links on me, however.

-edit-

Found it.

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...-smash-bros-more-interesting-than-the-others/
He's referring to a competitive context here. In which case, he's absolutely correct. Melee is much harder to get into than Smash 4 in a competitive context because Melee has a higher skill floor, and the meta is dominated by one very specific archetype of characters. The skill floor of Smash 4 is a bit lower, and there is a wider range of viable characters, so yeah, Melee is a bit too hard for a lot of people to get into competitively.

---------

*In the Rosalina match up discussion thread*

Average Rosalina player: "Rosalina is a great character with a dominating presence".
*proceeds to let users of other characters walk all over them to make her sound unviable against like half of the cast*
Me: "If you seriously have that much trouble against these characters, your Rosalina needs a lot of work".
Average Rosalina player: "WOW DON'T BE SO RUDE AND CONDESCENDING!!!??"

...we tumblr now?

"You have to play Rosalina defensively."
"Separating Luma is bad."
"Rosalina was OP before 1.0.4 and is now significantly nerfed compared to then."

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
When Marth was revealed for SSB4, I've seen so many "Why is he in this game? Where is Lucina to take his place!?" reactions. You know, as if it should ever be a good idea to replace the main star of the series! We should replace Pikachu with whatever the heck that baby Raichu thing is from XY while we're at it!

"Mega Man should never be in Smash Bros, he would represent negative things such as cancellations of his games." This may have sounded like trolling, but the dude was genuinely serious there. His argument was absolutely non-sense, he even went as far as calling Mega Man "a really generic character" and "Sakurai would not think Mega Man would be a good idea". No matter what anyone said to him, he wouldn't drop the ridiculous arguments until Mega Man as officially revealed. :laugh:

Ohhh, here's another good one from another person. "I can easily see Namco putting in 4 of their characters in this Smash Bros and none of them would be Pac-Man." Despite telling him about Pac Man's iconic status on gaming as a whole and whatnot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He's referring to a competitive context here. In which case, he's absolutely correct. Melee is much harder to get into than Smash 4 in a competitive context because Melee has a higher skill floor, and the meta is dominated by one very specific archetype of characters. The skill floor of Smash 4 is a bit lower, and there is a wider range of viable characters, so yeah, Melee is a bit too hard for a lot of people to get into competitively.
Melee’s controls were, however, quite complicated and very tiring if the player really got into it in a serious way. This made the game less accessible for novice players and it basically ended up becoming a Smash Bros. game for hardcore fighting fans. I personally regret that, because I originally intended the Smash Bros. series to be for players who couldn’t handle such highly skilled games.
He mentions "in a serious way", then also mentions the control are "less accessible to novice players" which doesn't make any sense. Why are novice players playing in a "serious" way in the first place?

Harder in a competitive aspect doesn't actually effect the demographic he's talking about because that demographic isn't going to play at a competitive level. Just like with all of the Smash Bros. games, if a casual or novice player entered a tournament they would get destroyed, this does not differ based on skill ceilings, at the end of the day the skill involved is going to be the deciding factor in a tournament. The only tiring aspect I can honestly think of about Melee is the wavedash exploit, however that wasn't intended to be in the game in the first place so that doesn't actually represent his design intention with Melee.

Melee gives you more freedom in movement which is wonderful, but Melee is by far one of the most accessible fighting games out there. I've had many friends that were poor at games get into Melee and were able to play it, even their first time because of how approachable it is. The reason the game was so popular and the most sold Gamecube game was for this reason. If Melee wasn't approachable, it wouldn't be as popular as it is to this day.

There is a wider range of viable characters namely because there are a lot more playable characters in Smash 4 I'd argue. I'd also argue that because there are more characters in Smash 4, that raises the difficulty of the competitive aspect a smidge because you have to learn more match ups.

Smash 4 may be easier to get into competitively, but no novice is ever going to get far in a tournament while they are still a novice.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
He mentions "in a serious way", then also mentions the control are "less accessible to novice players" which doesn't make any sense. Why are novice players playing in a "serious" way in the first place?

Harder in a competitive aspect doesn't actually effect the demographic he's talking about because that demographic isn't going to play at a competitive level. Just like with all of the Smash Bros. games, if a casual or novice player entered a tournament they would get destroyed, this does not differ based on skill ceilings, at the end of the day the skill involved is going to be the deciding factor in a tournament. The only tiring aspect I can honestly think of about Melee is the wavedash exploit, however that wasn't intended to be in the game in the first place so that doesn't actually represent his design intention with Melee.

Melee gives you more freedom in movement which is wonderful, but Melee is by far one of the most accessible fighting games out there. I've had many friends that were poor at games get into Melee and were able to play it, even their first time because of how approachable it is. The reason the game was so popular and the most sold Gamecube game was for this reason. If Melee wasn't approachable, it wouldn't be as popular as it is to this day.

There is a wider range of viable characters namely because there are a lot more playable characters in Smash 4 I'd argue. I'd also argue that because there are more characters in Smash 4, that raises the difficulty of the competitive aspect a smidge because you have to learn more match ups.

Smash 4 may be easier to get into competitively, but no novice is ever going to get far in a tournament while they are still a novice.
Everyone is a novice at some point. He's talking about Melee's competitive play being inaccessible to a novice player. If you're not into competitive play already, you're a novice. Doesn't mean you'll never have a desire to get better. If you're trying to get into competitive play (i.e, you're a novice and you want to go further), Melee's skill floor is much higher. Smash 4 is easier to get into competitively because it has a lower skill floor.

And no, Smash 4 hasn't got a more viable list of characters just because it has more, it is just a much, much better balanced game, period, and there isn't a specific archetype that's the best. Even the top tier characters are a nice, healthy mix.

He's not saying it's completely impossible for a novice to get into competitive Melee, he's saying the skill floor is likely to intimidate people, compared to Smash 4. For example, someone who doesn't have amazing reflexes won't do well in Melee, because Melee has a rushdown centric meta. However, Smash 4's meta has a broader range of viable characters, so, for example, someone who prefers to play defensively rather than string 10-hit combos together, can do well in Smash 4. Some characters, like Rosalina as an example, can be played defensively. Even though that's not the only way to play her and mastering her entails learning how to switch up her playstyle on the fly, playing her as a pure defense character is entirely possible and you can actually win matches this way. This is impossible in Melee, as all of the viable characters are rushdown centric.

Antinomy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkness1628
Back when I played Brawl often:

Friend: Ugh, why do you shield so much? Shielding is cheating.

Me: .......

Top Bottom