• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the big deal with SH Lasers?

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I have toyed around with Falco a bit, and my friend is a Falco main, but through all my use and experience, I've never quite seen what's so great about Shorthop Lasers. Can someone fill me in on this, because I've never seen how Shorthop has any advantage over Ground Lasers.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
ok, it's quite simple. when you use grounded lasers, there is ALOT of lag afterwards, (the animation of falco putting his gun away) but when you sh then shoot lasers, then lag is canceled out significantly and that means you can't be punished for using it.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
You can shoot a laser in the air and keep moving in the air. Which means, you never have to commit yourself to a specific area on the ground. You can shoot in the air and quickly move to a better positioning, making you harder to punish. Ground lasers limit your movement, while ariel lasers keep you free and unpunishable. This is key in a game where control over the field means everything.

Plus, SH'd lasers can change in height and they're harder to predict. SH'd lasers can also stop opponents from jumping. Basically, SH'd lasers have less lag, give you more options and let you keep your momentum. They can also be buffered at the end of a jump or a move, to really throw your opponent off guard.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
No lag, can be fired to more locations, keeps you mobile, keeps you in the air, encourages the enemy to approach by air (Where Falco tends to dominate)

Denzi

Smash Master
You can also use them to land a grab/other attack (seeing as you land completely laglessly).
Why does everyone ignore the Q&A thread?

zacharia zako

Smash Journeyman
im a falco mainer but never really put SH lasers into my game so can someone fill me on on how i do SH lasrers and move and how to move around with them?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Umm, I'm not a Falco mainer either but I'm pretty sure you just short-hop...and shoot you laser. As for moving, the control stick tends to be your friend.

K 2

Smash Lord
No Lag, Allows you to move and attack at the same time, and you can combo out of silent lasers.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
yes, being comboed by a silent laser to a killing usmash is probably the worst feeling in the world

i dont think i've seen a good falco who intentionally fires lasers grounded.

Agreed with everything stated above just going to add that SHL can be used for proper spacing if you do it while retreating. Spacing with retreating SHDL can also be done, but it is harder to perform and has a greater chance of mistake because you might Phantasm instead of leading to a SD off the stage or undisered spacing to your opponenet. Another thing is that SHL is just another option used when SHing and adds to being unpredictable.

Top Bottom