• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best way to practice by yourself?

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
-.-

Skylink: I got as "good" as I am by playing level 1 and 9's, besides when I'm playing with H2YL or at a tourney. If you don't have anyone to play, play computers.

Something is better than nothing. See you this weekend. haha

Zero: *pound* Too good for your first tourney.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Redd said:
-.-

Skylink: I got as "good" as I am by playing level 1 and 9's, besides when I'm playing with H2YL or at a tourney. If you don't have anyone to play, play computers.

Something is better than nothing. See you this weekend. haha

Zero: *pound* Too good for your first tourney.

But to much of a good thing is a bad thing, just don't get used to the crappy computer AI, otherwise you'll get messed in a real match.

Sol

Smash Lord
I use an unlimited time limit match and just pratice tecniques against a blank controler. not usefull if you want to pratice edge gaurding though

Travesty

Smash Cadet
Here's some advice from someone who's been forced to practice against computers because of lack of players in my little town.

1. Never stand back and wait for them to come to you unless you are in a situation where you would in a normal match. DON'T charge smashes and let them walk into them, one of my friends does that against computers and he does when he fights me and I just murder him for it most of the time.

2. Fight one lvl 9 computer because you will never fight a player with that kind of crazy reflexes.

These two work in conjunction because if you always rush the lvl 9 computer you will practice certain things. It won't be like a normal match with a human but your approach and your reflex time will improve massively. I didn't used to shuffle my aerials, just short hop but after a couple times of biffing them and lagging out in front of the computer I learned to l-cancel and fastfall out of necessity.

3. Never be content with just beating the computer. If I don't completely stock the computer, I need to do better.

4. Try to not back out of a brawl. If the computer starts going after you, stand your ground. You won't learn mindgames from the computer so you might as well improve your reflexes.

5. Don't abuse glitches in the computer. Don't sit under platforms or use the same shffl'd aerial that they always fall for.

6. *Most importantly* NEVER FORGET THAT YOU WON'T PLAY THIS WAY AGAINST A HUMAN. As long as you understand that only certain skills and strategies learned by fighting the computer transfer over into PvP games you won't have much trouble in switching back and forth.

shoshone

Smash Ace
Practice doing wavedashing, l-cancleing and all that good stuff on training. Then practice using those moves, combos, and airials on lvl 1 cpus. DO NOT PLAY AGAINST LVL 9'S! It will only make you worse. Play the lvl 9's a few times, but dont train with them. Just play lvl 1's and try doing some wicked combos and edge guarding.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
Play level 9 computer with handicap lv 9 and you be handicap lv 1
You'd be fighting AI
That has no use...

If you are smart enough, Pick a Mario, pick a stage, Start the battle, Jump of the edge, Mario jumps to trying to Meteor you, Mario Kills himself cause he's a dumb computer...

It isn't smart practicing on computers, the only thing you can practies is shffl, pivot, (Ledge) tech etc. Against a lv 1 computer or a human player that isn't there.

I only play against my friends and sometimes I do a match against a comp, but that is then With a Bowser against a Fox or something like that. "Chainthrowing" a fox with Bowser is just fun :p

cavesonic13

Smash Lord
Just practice on a 2 controller in vs mode u use one and use another character put infinite time and etc...it improves your c sticking and stuff like chain grabbing wave dashing and etc.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Play level 9 computer with handicap lv 9 and you be handicap lv 1
A number of things are wrong with this.

-First, Never actively play agianst level nines.
While I suppose mixing ONE in with human matches may be alright occasionally, don't actively play against them. While they may be bad, they still have their own, unique [albeit bad] style. If you play against them very scarcely, and DON'T treat them as a comp [Don't take advantage of AI.] They may be neutral, or slightly beneficial.

-Second, NEVER use handicap. It messes up yous comboes, you'll adjust to it, and then when you're against a normal opponent, you'll be too used to being able to Juggle, and not have anythign to use against them.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I simply agree that continuously playing against high level comps makes you alter the way you play. Just get tech skill in training or the two controller thing and hope your mind games iz good. Mini combo as well, as in, learn the small comboes/series of attacks that players use, like drill shine or the marth thing, and the peach thing.

Xelyst

-_-
I play level 1's for 5 minutes to refine some of my technical skill. I might also practice some tap resets or CG (Marth), and then I dont play any longer because I know I'll get worse :p

ßoots

Smash Cadet
Since I play yoshi, I just use training mode to do some techs (Not like wavedash or short hop, but edge egging and DJC), none of this "lvl 1 stuff". also, if you want to get certin types of shielding moves down, plug in 2 controlers an put the character in training mode to human. make sure the character is either C. Falcon or Gannon too. Then hit the b button with your foot and get ready to block!

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I usually practice against lvl 1s to get my moves down, practice WDing, combos, etc.

I practice against certain lvl 9s for different purposes:
Captain Falcon (edgeguarding)
Bowser (moves and combos because he's easy to hit)
Falco/Fox (speed, reflexes, chain throwing)

Sometimes I also edit my handicap to make it really hard to beat them.

Another thing I do it choose a random character against a random level 9. It's just fun and you slowly get used to all the characters and their movesets.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
A number of things are wrong with this.

-First, Never actively play agianst level nines.
While I suppose mixing ONE in with human matches may be alright occasionally, don't actively play against them. While they may be bad, they still have their own, unique [albeit bad] style. If you play against them very scarcely, and DON'T treat them as a comp [Don't take advantage of AI.] They may be neutral, or slightly beneficial.

-Second, NEVER use handicap. It messes up yous comboes, you'll adjust to it, and then when you're against a normal opponent, you'll be too used to being able to Juggle, and not have anythign to use against them.
Those are really good points...*looks at my last post* >_>

I always treat lvl 9s as humans...though sometimes I just can't resist making Yoshi and CF suicide :chuckle:

When I edit my handicap, it really helps me practice my DI and recovery (since nearly every move will send you flying)

Cort

Apple Head
I'm gonna go on a whim and say how I got better "by myself"

I played stadium. Hundreds of hours of stadium. Target breaking, sandbag bashing stadium. It helped regular technical skill improve to the point of me not even thinking about it anymore.

Then applying it against friends in matches, moving onto the tournament scene, making tons of new awesome friends and playing people who are better than me. Learning from watching hours and hours of vs mode videos, subscribing to the valuable matches on VoD, and refining my technical skill and seeing what works and what doesn't in very specific situations.

But this all came throughout the course of like, 4 years *shrug* T_T;

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
when ever i try to get good, i play FFA against three lvl 1's.
\
this depends on what character you're trying to get better with.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I practice combos in Training mode setting the computer to evade, that way they properly DI and recover.

I practice my technical skill in vs. mode with a 2nd controller plugged in, but doing nothing.

I learned shffling really easily this way. Target Practice and smash sandbag never helped me.

cb_marth

Smash Ace
Playing alone is a tough way to get good. Basically just play people is my best guess. That is how I got good quick. Also if you just want to play around with combo's and WD then just go to practise mode and play there. Other then that just go to All Star mood and have fun.

Bobmeister

Smash Rookie
Don't. You can't practice by yourself. VERYVERYVERYVERYVERYVERY bad idea. If you go against computers, your mindgames wont work on them and you wont use teh mindgames and you will suck next time you play against someone else. Thats what always happens to me. Computers are your worst enemies, dont ever fight them. It is acceptable to play against another person though, even if their skill level is significantly lower than yours because they do unexpected things and can be fooled by mindgames.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
practice against a level 1 cpu until you get your techniques down, and when i mean down, i mean you can pick up the game at any time and perform them, once you hit that point....don't play, when you play too much it's bad, i was doing that, put it down for 2 weeks, came back and did fox's infinite almost perfect, never was able to do it before, it works especially good before a tournament, you can play by yourself once in a while just to make sure, but really, don't play much, also, try not to think about playing it either, works pretty well

anotherdeadcow

Smash Apprentice
personally, when i cant find someone who wants to play, i mess around with computers a lot. to work on wavedashing, i would fight entire battles without moving any other way, or id decide to use only a single technique to damage a cpu until i felt i had the timing down. i guess that really only applies when your in earlier stages of learning a technique, but it helped me learn to use different methods in a variety of situations.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Basically Smash without facing off against other people is about as boring as watching your nails grow.

~ Kev
Haha that was pretty amazing not gonna lie, i agree you need people to test yourself or this game can get pretty pointless.
Yet again, more terms that I don't know. So what's shuffling?
There is a guide on all of this just look right up at the stickies or *gasps* use the search function.... Search Function FTW

Okay, I'm not goanna read all of these pages to see what your talking about...can you explain one or more of these 'mind games' to me?
A mindgame is something you use to trick your opponent, it could be dash dancing right out of reach of someone, or just making unpredictable moves... go use the search function.

I think the best way to train by yourself is to play against one cpu or more lv.9.
Nope thats completely false, you'll develop bad habits stfu n00b... please know what your talking about before you "help people"

S1R D34TH

Smash Cadet
For some odd reason I find the best way to play a lvl 9 is on stamina mode on hyrule. I know it sounds noobish to play there, but it is good to play there with fast characters, such as: falcon, fox, shiek, etc. And also good for characters with projectiles. The reason for this is you have to avoid the lvl 9. This also helps on not creating bad habbits from playin normal vs mode against a lvl 9, such as using a falcon punch:laugh:. Seriously, I have seen good players get destroyed from playing normal lvl 9's, but stamina helps alot with spacing, combos, and defensive play.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
^^^ lol

u can practice tech skill by urself againt lvl one cpu. u can practice basic combos too. for the more advacned stuff play someone else

another way to practice by urself is to jus watch tons of videos and read guides. its one of the most helpful ways for situational playing

TheDSGamer

Smash Cadet
^^^ lol

u can practice tech skill by urself againt lvl one cpu. u can practice basic combos too. for the more advacned stuff play someone else

another way to practice by urself is to jus watch tons of videos and read guides. its one of the most helpful ways for situational playing
That's agreeable. And you should have SSBM on while watching those videos so you can go back and forth.

miller483

Smash Ace
Lv1's only for me. I don't fight them, I just do it because training mode has no c stick. Still I hate how the lv1s are constantly stalking you. I wish they wandered about like they did in the old smash.
True, it's annoying when they do that. Every 3 seconds you have to smash them away, and you can only practace WDs or SHFFLing during the intervering time.:dizzy:
Amen to that homie. Anyways, i just use an idle controller in vs to practice so i can prevent that problem.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
for mindgames: go into vs, click the top left of one of the character select spots until it turns to a grey box w/ a ranom character. Next make sure the level slider bar thing at the bottom is at the far left (reading "1"). adjust it if you need to make it at the left. Press Start, and select Big Blue (this stage is good becuase you'll have to pay attention to it). Now run around, and try to hit it as much as you can without being hit yourself. If you were hit, or it dodges one of your attacks, you got mindgamed. Mindgame the cpu until you can do it perfectly.

If this is too hard, then go to training mode, press start, select big blue, and press start. now that the game starts, press start, go to the CPU category, and set it to "walk"

NOTE: if you don't have Big Blue yet, visit GameFaq's to find out how.

Lil'Falcon89

Smash Rookie
Why falco and not a pink capt. falcan
Ill tell u why because dats gonna get bothersome that ur fighting a dude dats wearing
pink in white wich will cause psycological problems possibly making u quit playing smash bros all together

red_dragon2007

Smash Rookie
Hi

I think it's better if u can find someone to practice with, cause computer moves are different from people's moves. Level 9 comp its kind of dumb. (That's what I think and I respect the way of thinking of everyone) Ricky.

red_dragon2007

Smash Rookie
I think it's better if u can find someone to practice with, cause computer moves are different from people's moves. Level 9 comp its kind of dumb. (That's what I think and I respect the way of thinking of everyone) Ricky.

Prophecy

Smash Rookie
True True you make a good pont but with cpu it will be easier to figure out ur battle strategies

Top Bottom