• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's so special about Lucario?

The Aura in Me

Smash Rookie
... Is your explanation of greninja supposed to paint him in a negative light?
Yes i was. But are you asking because you like Greninja or was my description of him come off in a more positive was? I assume I was unsuccessful in doing so because you're asking me if thats what I was trying to say.

Last edited:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Yes i was. But are you asking because you like Greninja or was my description of him come off in a more positive was? I assume I was unsuccessful in doing so because you're asking me if thats what I was trying to say.
I asked because of the latter, granted I do like Greninja more than Lucario (though saying that would not imply that I actually like Greninja in my case. Granted, I do like greninja, but frankly it would be quicker to list the pokemon I don't like more than Lucario) but that's completely besides the point in this situation.

"and Greninja a frog obviously with ninja-like abilities"

I guess you're trying to say that a frog being a ninja makes no sense but it comes off as you stating a fact. So it's a ninja frog... am I supposed to figure out what's wrong with a ninja frog? Because it's not inherently obvious.

This is a completely pointless thing to have a longer discussion about though.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
He is to generations 4-6 what Mewtwo was to generations 1-3. That's why people say he replaced mewtwo (even though Mewtwo has assets in Brawl's game files)

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
To address the last bit of the OP, my personal overwrought theory as to why Lucario is a Steel type has to do with the integration of gameplay and story. Lucario is a pure pokemon who fights against evil. When Lucario was introduced, Fighting/Steel was the only type combination doubly resistant to Dark without also containing Dark. This was taken a step further is gen 5 when he gained the ability Justified, which boosts attack when taking a Dark-type hit.

As to how it makes sense, I always assumed that maybe aura has some kind of metallic properties.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, he's pretty much one of the most popular Pokemon outside of Gen 1. So that's the short end of it. Other than that, Lucario had enough going for him to be a playable character. I think the same could be said of Greninja as well.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
The best answer I can give you is that he had his own little side story in Pokemon X and Y in which he was said to be the first Pokemon to ever achieve Mega Evolution

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Hey, my favorite Pokèmon of all time, still.
I'm late to the party, and I probably won't be adding anything that hasn't been brought up (I did not read all the prior posts), so I'll be brief.
It was heavily marketed during the pre- and post-release of the 4th Gen (which just happened to be Brawl's lifespan), stayed relevant into the 5th Gen, increased in relevancy in this current Gen. The Pokèmon Company have been pumping out Lucario non-stop and in effect its popularity just caught on.
Also, while it can us some Psychic moves, at its core its not really Psychic at all (several Pokèmon can use Psychic attacks that have no basis around being Psychic themselves, like Manaphy...) The reason Brawl Lucario can speak (and it may be actually speaking without using Psychic power) is because Movie Lucario did, and Brawl's Lucario was based on that one (where there was no given reason even then why Movie Lucario could speak since no other "canonical" Lucario can, other than the pattern that Movie Pokèmon in leading roles always "talk Psychic-ly") Why is it half Steel-type? No clue whatsoever.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Lucario is a bit of a sour topic for me. As I've said on other threads, I believe Lucario is the product of gamefreak, merchandising force-memery. His design oozes base, uncreative 'our marketing team's algorithms indicate that this is what 12 year boys think looks cool' type aesthetics. His design is ugly, his role in the games is a bit exaggerated, but he is nevertheless popular, or at least I'm told.

Anyway, to each their own, genwun for lyfe yo!

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Honestly, I'd like to say it was because of the potential he had (a fighting type with some "aura" ability that could make way for a decent gimmick). He isn't a bad Pokemon per say (even though I for one think he's Mewtw levels of overrated), the a reason I like to think they picked him.
But despite all that, I'd have to go with popularity. That goes a long way with Gamefreak. If someone's popular, they consider them more than others.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Lucario is a bit of a sour topic for me. As I've said on other threads, I believe Lucario is the product of gamefreak, merchandising force-memery. His design oozes base, uncreative 'our marketing team's algorithms indicate that this is what 12 year boys think looks cool' type aesthetics. His design is ugly, his role in the games is a bit exaggerated, but he is nevertheless popular, or at least I'm told.

Anyway, to each their own, genwun for lyfe yo!
How is a fighting/steel type pokemon based on an egyptian god and has the ability to sense auras not unique? As opposed to charizard who is just a dragon, pikachu who is an electric mouse and jigglypuff who is literally a balloon, as you said to each their own but I think gen 1 has the most uncreative designs of any gen

Last edited:

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
In terms of character uniqueness, Lucario's aura mechanic (in which Lucario gets more punch the more damage he takes) is something no other character in Smash has had prior to his inclusion in Brawl. Lucario's popularity and marketing weren't the only factors that led to his inclusion as a playable character- Sakurai figured his Aura powers were an interesting concept to play with.

My two cents.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
How is a fighting/steel type pokemon based on an egyptian god and has the ability to sense auras not unique? As opposed to charizard who is just a dragon, pikachu who is an electric mouse and jigglypuff who is literally a balloon, as you said to each their own but I think gen 1 has the most uncreative designs of any gen
I don't defend Charizard, in fact in many ways he is the 'lucario' of gen 1 in the way I described before. But anyway, it's not the concept that I'm criticising. A lot of people make a big fuss over the concepts of newer generation pokemon, like chandelure and garbodor, but I've always defended them, and too is a 'steel/fighting anubis' concept just fine by me. I'm saying lucario's actual design and aesthetics are terribly uninspired and unappealing. Spikes that actually look like they flow with the contour of the pokemon and look as threatening as they are supposed to is awesome, example nidoking or aggron, but these pokemon with toddler toy, safty approved 'spikes' thrown onto their beanie baby looking paws... that's what I'm talking about. Lucario body shape, the way his limbs and dred lock things look like cucumbers, it's just lacks both cuteness and coolness. It looks they tried to fuse the two and the result is neither. The color palette they used is boring. That over used shade of blue is nearly prompting contempt everytime I see it now on these newer pokemon.

Last edited:

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
Basically,

Lucario is the next pikachu. As you can see from most of this thread, he is extremely popular and is constantly use in plenty of Game Freaks advertisement. He got a powerful signature move, a great typing (not sure why steel but yeah), great stats and a pretty good design that is easy for kids to fall in love with (all cool but calm ya know?). Zoroark tried this, but because of his typing, stats and ruined ability (thanks to the Battle View thingy), he didn't do as well. Lucario got a mega, Zoroark was found in an end game forest, treated as a normal pokemon.

Same sort of goes for Greninja. He is the new Charizard. The starter that for the most part was considered more popular then the other two starters (im a Venasaur and Chesnaught guy myself.) He reps the newest gen very nicely.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Basically,

Lucario is the next pikachu. As you can see from most of this thread, he is extremely popular and is constantly use in plenty of Game Freaks advertisement. He got a powerful signature move, a great typing (not sure why steel but yeah), great stats and a pretty good design that is easy for kids to fall in love with (all cool but calm ya know?). Zoroark tried this, but because of his typing, stats and ruined ability (thanks to the Battle View thingy), he didn't do as well. Lucario got a mega, Zoroark was found in an end game forest, treated as a normal pokemon.

Same sort of goes for Greninja. He is the new Charizard. The starter that for the most part was considered more popular then the other two starters (im a Venasaur and Chesnaught guy myself.) He reps the newest gen very nicely.
Well they didn't give 5th gen pokemon megas because they were too recent

Gune

Smash Lord
I don't defend Charizard, in fact in many ways he is the 'lucario' of gen 1 in the way I described before. But anyway, it's not the concept that I'm criticising. A lot of people make a big fuss over the concepts of newer generation pokemon, like chandelure and garbodor, but I've always defended them, and too is a 'steel/fighting anubis' concept just fine by me. I'm saying lucario's actual design and aesthetics are terribly uninspired and unappealing. Spikes that actually look like they flow with the contour of the pokemon and look as threatening as they are supposed to is awesome, example nidoking or aggron, but these pokemon with toddler toy, safty approved 'spikes' thrown onto their beanie baby looking paws... that's what I'm talking about. Lucario body shape, the way his limbs and dred lock things look like cucumbers, it's just lacks both cuteness and coolness. It looks they tried to fuse the two and the result is neither. The color palette they used is boring. That over used shade of blue is nearly prompting contempt everytime I see it now on these newer pokemon.
Well that's a pretty harsh rating, his design is pretty great IMO especially the interesting inspiration behind it, but I guess to each his own.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Well, I don't really have much to say. Everything seems to have been covered already. Except the Steel typing, unless I missed it. I was thinking that he could be part Steel because his skeleton could be some sort of metal, kind of like Wolverine.

ChillySundance

Smash Apprentice
Lucario being a steel type is a reference to the 'body of steel' martial arts trope associated with the kind of martial artist the Pokemon is based off.

A lot of people think that Lucario is based on Anubis, but this actually isn't true. Lucario is based on the japanese martial arts trope of the dedicated master who covers their eyes with a blindfold in order to hone their sixth sense (qi, aura) and other skills, by learning not to rely on their strongest sense - sight. Hence the dangling bits on the back of his head ,and the markings on his face. They all reference a tied-off blindfold.

As for why Lucario is special, it's a modern mascot for the Pokemon games, and has been relevant in recent Pokemon games plots and movies. It was also the very first Pokemon to discover Mega Evolution, which is a massive key element in the most recent Pokemon games.

on the topic of Greninja, ninjas and frogs (or more accurately toads) are actually directly linked by Japanese mythology, so it's not as strange as you think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiraiya

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Lucario being a steel type is a reference to the 'body of steel' martial arts trope associated with the kind of martial artist the Pokemon is based off.
Huh. I always thought that maybe Lucario has a unique bone structure, and the fact that he can create Metal Claws on his spikes.
A lot of people think that Lucario is based on Anubis, but this actually isn't true. Lucario is based on the japanese martial arts trope of the dedicated master who covers their eyes with a blindfold in order to hone their sixth sense (qi, aura) and other skills, by learning not to rely on their strongest sense - sight. Hence the dangling bits on the back of his head ,and the markings on his face. They all reference a tied-off blindfold.
I know the Bulbapedia lists Lucario as being roughly based on Anubis, both being jackal-like creatures. But whether or not it has been confirmed I have yet to hear.
As for why Lucario is special, it's a modern mascot for the Pokemon games, and has been relevant in recent Pokemon games plots and movies. It was also the very first Pokemon to discover Mega Evolution, which is a massive key element in the most recent Pokemon games.
I think everything here is pretty spot on. Between Gen 4 and 6, you can get Lucario as a partner through story events twice.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
i imagine his Steel Type is just a way of saying hes "tough as steel" since other than his little black mask thingie, nothing seems steel about him. And it prevents him from being countered by Allakhazam, which back in Gold n Silver Steel was released purely to shut the psychic crazy down since they had no real counter. Lots of unusual dark/steel type moves and pokemon appeared back then.

I wasnt shocked he got put in Brawl since he was one of if not the most well known pokemon since the original 150. I was shocked he replaced mewtwo....as they are NOT THE SAME DAMN CHARACTER lol (mewtwo played way different...the psyball thingie is the only similarity they have)

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
I'd say he's been a bigger part of Pokemon than Pikachu since his debut, honestly. (I'm only referring to the main games which is all I care about.) I mean Lucario was the face of Mega Evolution, and he's always showing up on major character's teams. (Gym Leaders, League Champions etc.) Pikachu just shows up randomly with no more significance than any other Pokemon.

Most of my friends wanted Mewtwo over Lucario, but I'm not so sure.

I'd say Lucario deserves it more, and the main reason we all want Mewtwo is because we're all like 20 years old or so and remember Mewtwo being the ****.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I'd say he's been a bigger part of Pokemon than Pikachu since his debut, honestly. (I'm only referring to the main games which is all I care about.) I mean Lucario was the face of Mega Evolution, and he's always showing up on major character's teams. (Gym Leaders, League Champions etc.) Pikachu just shows up randomly with no more significance than any other Pokemon.
I think the only significance of Pikachu nowadays is the fact that it was the original face of Pokemon. But in terms of modern day relevance, Lucario trumps Pikachu heavily, at least I think so.
Most of my friends wanted Mewtwo over Lucario, but I'm not so sure.

I'd say Lucario deserves it more, and the main reason we all want Mewtwo is because we're all like 20 years old or so and remember Mewtwo being the ****.
I'm in the minority here. I've been playing Pokemon since the RBY days, and I never saw a reason to jump on the Mewtwo bandwagon. Lucario had me sold, though.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I admit I used to be one of the groaners/eye-rollers about Lucario. I understand Overtaken's bitter sentiment toward Lucario because I felt exactly the same way for long time. The hype saturation just turned me off to the guy completely; seeing Lucario here, Lucario there, Lucario freaking everywhere; and I dismissed it as another one of those things fandom swoons over. Mind you I hadn't played a Pokemon game in years at the time, which brings me to my next point.

About a year ago, after Pokemon X/Y came out, my curiosity was piqued by my really nerdy roommate and his playing of the new Pokemon game. Just to see if the Pokemon franchise could still appeal to me at all, my roommate lent me his copy of Pokemon Heartgold, and I was hooked on the game within five minutes. fastforward to a few weeks later, I'd beaten the core game, and was fiddling around in the Battle Frontier, where I got the opportunity to use Lucario in the Battle Factory as a rental. The thing completely wrecked enemy face whenever I had the chance to use it, obliterating (mostly) whatever opponent it found itself in front of.

It may have just been a little in-game bit at the end, but that alone changed my tune about Lucario real game-freaking quick. It wasn't just a fandom image obsession, it could actually do things, it was useful, and I place a major value, about anything, on its utility.

That combination of utility/obliterating opponents has seen Lucario continue to be a force to be reckoned with on my teams well into my foray into X/Y, even in my dabbling in the competitive side.

Getting into a little competitive Pokemon speak below:
Trick or Treat shenanigans with a Gourgeist doubles partner: I use Trick or Treat on my own mega Lucario to add the Ghost typing to it.

A lot of Pokemon players I've gone up against, when they face off vs. Lucario and don't have a fire/ground attack response, will answer the threat with a fighting type attack. Giving Lucario the ghost type eliminates the fighting threat entirely as well as normal type attacks, and I've caught a few players off-guard with just that. Another added bonus: because of Mega Lucario's adaptability ability, when it gains the ghost type it also gains ludicrously high STAB on moves like Shadow Ball/Claw, and becomes a major threat to ghost and psychic types, which would otherwise not even bat an eyelash at an opposing Lucario. This setup has obliterated Mega Kengaskahns left and right, popped bulky psychic types before a trick room/safeguard+swagger could be set, and busted ghost types like a cheesy 80s movie.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
Pretty much everything has been covered but I always had this theory that his bones are made of steel similar to Wolverine. I mean in the anime when he uses metal claw it totally reminds me of Wolverine. Lucario is pretty much just as (if not more) popular than Mewtwo. As a person who started from the very beginning, Mewtwo was my fav when gen 1 was the only one (he still is) but now that we got 6 generations of Pokemon, Lucario has been my favorite since I first saw him in that Advanced Battle opening (before gen 4 even had a game and even before the movie)

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I admit I used to be one of the groaners/eye-rollers about Lucario. I understand Overtaken's bitter sentiment toward Lucario because I felt exactly the same way for long time. The hype saturation just turned me off to the guy completely; seeing Lucario here, Lucario there, Lucario freaking everywhere; and I dismissed it as another one of those things fandom swoons over. Mind you I hadn't played a Pokemon game in years at the time, which brings me to my next point.

About a year ago, after Pokemon X/Y came out, my curiosity was piqued by my really nerdy roommate and his playing of the new Pokemon game. Just to see if the Pokemon franchise could still appeal to me at all, my roommate lent me his copy of Pokemon Heartgold, and I was hooked on the game within five minutes. fastforward to a few weeks later, I'd beaten the core game, and was fiddling around in the Battle Frontier, where I got the opportunity to use Lucario in the Battle Factory as a rental. The thing completely wrecked enemy face whenever I had the chance to use it, obliterating (mostly) whatever opponent it found itself in front of.

It may have just been a little in-game bit at the end, but that alone changed my tune about Lucario real game-freaking quick. It wasn't just a fandom image obsession, it could actually do things, it was useful, and I place a major value, about anything, on its utility.

That combination of utility/obliterating opponents has seen Lucario continue to be a force to be reckoned with on my teams well into my foray into X/Y, even in my dabbling in the competitive side.

Getting into a little competitive Pokemon speak below:
Trick or Treat shenanigans with a Gourgeist doubles partner: I use Trick or Treat on my own mega Lucario to add the Ghost typing to it.

A lot of Pokemon players I've gone up against, when they face off vs. Lucario and don't have a fire/ground attack response, will answer the threat with a fighting type attack. Giving Lucario the ghost type eliminates the fighting threat entirely as well as normal type attacks, and I've caught a few players off-guard with just that. Another added bonus: because of Mega Lucario's adaptability ability, when it gains the ghost type it also gains ludicrously high STAB on moves like Shadow Ball/Claw, and becomes a major threat to ghost and psychic types, which would otherwise not even bat an eyelash at an opposing Lucario. This setup has obliterated Mega Kengaskahns left and right, popped bulky psychic types before a trick room/safeguard+swagger could be set, and busted ghost types like a cheesy 80s movie.
I knew about Lucario before delving into the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl series, but I didn't think much of it....until I got to the Iron Island chapter. After that little Riolu evolved, and started learning its most important moves, it solidified itself as a permanent member of my team across successive generations of the series. As you said already, Lucario, when given the chance, can completely wreck most targets one might encounter and is a very versatile pokemon. And I share the opinions of others that Lucario is just a badass looking pokemon, and you know what? It's a dog, and I like dogs.

And then SSBB happens, with Lucario as one of the playable characters. Everything is just coming full circle now. I didn't need to give any thought to whether I was going to use him or not. Just as in Pokemon, Lucario turns out to be a pretty formidable brawler. Fast forward to today, Lucario is still a participant in Smash.

I think what with his success in Pokemon, being one of the most significant out there(possibly even beating out Pikachu) and Smash, Lucario is here to stay.

Scardonian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Scardonian
I know I'm very late to the discussion but;

The Steel typing might be a reference from the fact his name comes from Orichalcum, a mythical metal.

ORIChALUm - ORICALU - LUCARIO

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Top Bottom