• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's happened to Donkey Kong?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I never got to see a Pro Donkey Kong player and I'm worried that he wont be used much. I seen this in melee too. Is Donkey Kong no longer popular? Is he buffed or nerfed? Whether the case, he's not getting much attention. I suppose I shoulse use him a bit to support him. Any other DK followers should help make DK a great character to use.

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
Donkey Kong got a lot better. Some things are wierd, but like every other veteran, they have their buffs and debuffs. For the most part:

He's still heavy.
He's deceptively fast, and his f-tilt is good at having opponents keep their distance.
His giant punch has juggernaut frames
great horizonal recovery
Down-B is better for some odd reason.

I like him, and so should everyone else.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
He may not be popular, but I can guarantee he's good. He feels far stronger and better than in Melee overall, though the altered range of the Giant Punch is admittedly something that takes getting used to.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
I never got to see a Pro Donkey Kong player and I'm worried that he wont be used much. I seen this in melee too. Is Donkey Kong no longer popular? Is he buffed or nerfed? Whether the case, he's not getting much attention. I suppose I shoulse use him a bit to support him. Any other DK followers should help make DK a great character to use.
how about YOU trying to become the DK pro and making him popular?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
To be honest, I'm not a great DK player, since i have too many Ike/Marth Problems. That's what i Have Pit and Bowser for. However, I'll probably practice with Donkey Kong a bit more, but I can assure you he wont be one of my mains.

mikeQUESTIONMARK

Smash Rookie
What happened to Donkey Kong in Brawl, imo, is that he got much better.

Why?
"He's bigger, faster, and stronger, too!"
Yes, what applied in Donkey Kong 64 applies here in Brawl. Donkey Kong is a little bigger than his Melee counterpart. What does this mean? Yes, it means he gets comboed easier by characters like Mario and Zero-Suit Samus. But, it also means more range. For example: His F-Smash and F-Tilt BOTH outrange Marth's F-Smash. (I also think his second jab does as well, but I'll need more confirmation on that)

Faster? You bet. Not only is Donkey Kong faster in running speed, but every single attack of his <i>feels</i> faster than in Melee. His smashes seem to clap or pound to the point of a sonic-boom. His arials are out and in your face in a second. You can short-hop-double-back-air with DK, which is an amazing addition. Even the once-laggy Fair has nestled its way into my playing style.

Donkey Kong is one of the most exceptional powerhouses in Brawl. All of his smashes kill at around 80-100%, at least. His Up-Air is great for catching people in the air and sending them to their heavenly doom. The Back-Air is not only quick, but efficient. The Fair either spikes or sends them away, like Mario's, except a little slower and a lot stronger. The tilts always send people far enough away to edgeguard them. And for his Monkey Punch, upon activating it, he even has no flinch-frames. I've been attacked on two different occasions with a dash attack while I activated my Monkey Punch, and all that happened was a KO for me.

All in all, Donkey Kong is a very solid character, and I am proud to say that I main him.

kells

Smash Rookie
Bum had a pretty solid DK in m3lee... on the subject of good DK players.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
He didnt get buffed (overall)

Sure he got a super nice buff in the special department.

But he lost his biggest combo (U air juggle) making him an average character at best.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
People, when will you realize that losing the abiloty to combo doesn't make a character in Brawl worse, because NO ONE can combo in brawl.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
People, when will you realize that losing the abiloty to combo doesn't make a character in Brawl worse, because NO ONE can combo in brawl.
Toon Link, Captain Falcon, Olimar, Jigglypuff... say Hi

Captain Falcon also sends a postcard from comboland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7YCCbdtdCA

In Melee U-air juggle was the ONLY thing that made DK a character to consider using (anti fast faller), with that gone he is just your average character (nothing special at all).

As much as I love Donkey Kong, its foolish to think he didn't get nerfed.

And please St. Viers, do a little research before stating something as a fact.

Blu_Jay

Smash Cadet
Are you kidding? there are so many pro DK users out there! I used to be pro at DK, until I found out I was way better at Falco, lol (Im a DK fan though)

Top Bottom