• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would've happened if the American colonies lost to Britain?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Monarchy is absurd. Especially foreign monarchy.
Aside from this, I pretty much agreed with most of what you said.

"Monarchy is absurd" is a very independent view. As it so happens, no country has lasted over a couple hundred years as independent, in fact America has the record for longest independent country if I remember correctly.

I could be getting my words mixed up. it might not be independent... it's something like it, though.

I just find it funny that people are calling Monarchy out when it's actually a system that works and has lasted for a long time (albeit with some really, really bad eggs... like James and Charles... come to think of it, Charles is probably a bad name to have if you're gonna be king :O ).

Funny though, i'm australian and am pretty detached from the Monarchic system, so maybe I shouldn't be making this argument ha. :)

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
And Mexico having the southwest such as Cali. and Texas.
Possibly not.

Mexican revolutionists were inspired by the American War of Independence which occurred several decades before Mexican independence was achieved. Mexico could have remained a Spanish territory but it could have gained its independence eventually.

Also, Panama would have cease to exist.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Sure but then they could stop calling it English. :3
British English has also evolved since the time of the Revolutionary War.
1. The united states of America is a Republic. Not a democracy. But, there are democratic Republics; a huge difference.

2. There are still colonies here on the American continent. The confederated colonies called Canada is one.

3. The English were extremely despotic. Not as much as the Christians during the European dark ages though. The opposition to the English actually fueled the information 'age' of that time. If they had it their way no one would have any books. This answer could be answered by looking at Al Andalus when it turned into a dump when the Moors, Jews and 'Pagans' were massacred and deported (if you survived). Or also when Justinian came to power and sent Europe back to the stone ages.

4. Involuntary servitude and slavery of any man or woman, except for the punishment of a crime, was outlawed by the English for political and economic reasons, not because they felt bad for people.

5. Such a conflict was going to happen sooner or later. Monarchy is absurd. Especially foreign monarchy. And the continual interactions of Europeans here with the Indios exposed them to (ancient) Republican principles which are in direct contradistinction to Monarchical principles. Put it this way, the English in the 18th century are like how the media of today portrays all muslims (most Radical despotic ones are from Wahhabist teachings, not Islam as a whole). Arbitrarily depriving people of their liberty and executing them in the public squares for everyone to watch screaming Allah Akbar lol. The English would scream traitor for not worshipping the king as God or the local pastor.
Great Britain at the time of the Revolutionary War had a parliamentary system that was far more "advanced" than the other governments of Europe at that time. I'm actually pretty disturbed by your declaring that the English were all despotic. "Not as much the Christians during the Dark Ages," you say, like Christians and English are somehow mutually exclusive? You sound like you have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, I don't believe slavery would've been outlawed in the colonies in 1833 had the British won. More likely it would've led to a second war, because slavery was pretty ingrained in the South at the time.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Probably the best answer in this thread so far.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
200 years after it's made, one of the victors in a civil war reforms it in to a principate.

A defining factor in republics. Because of how they're built, it can become very hard to change its foundations. America's political system is entirely different to Australia's in that it's much harder to change the constitution in America because it has to go through so much stuff. @.@

What i'm saying is, most republics usually get reformed in to something else. >.>

Top Bottom