• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would've happened if the American colonies lost to Britain?

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
Link to original post: [drupal=5465]What would've happened if the American colonies lost to Britain?[/drupal]

I always meant to post this, but always forgot. Thankfully I remembered so now Im posting this XD

*ahem*

Anyways, how would you suppose life would be like in 2012 if George Washingtons army fell due to Cornwallis? There are multiple situations if this were to happen:

•Would we have Democracy?
•Would the Americas be owned by Europe still?
•Would we have the technology we have today?

It feels strange on what we would be doing RIGHT NOW if it weren't for Washington.

What do you suppose could've happened if America lost?

Browny

Smash Hater
We would be Canada.
Pretty much

I lol heavily @ suggestions of run by communists.

Take a look at every british colony/country/whatever and see if theyre communist rofl.

To say its 'owned' by europe is going way too far. With regards to technology, thats simply due to california IMO. All that gold drove people there and lots of money, lots of immigration, ideas get shared and things get invented... USA also has a fair share of natural resources so it was always going to be wealthy, regardless of who 'owned' it.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I don't see what's dumb about theorizing about different outcomes of important turning points of history for the fun of it.

Lot of people enjoy fictional stories where the Axis won the 2nd world war.

That being said yeah USA would just be part of a larger Canada.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I don't see what's dumb about theorizing about different outcomes of important turning points of history for the fun of it.

Yea I mean it's only as dumb as any other hypothetical question, right? Personally I love hypothetical discussions anyway.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Well slavery would have been outlawed much faster.

And eventually, the U.S. would gain independence. It just wouldn't be the U.S. we know and.... well know.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Yeah but with this you're talking about 70 years ago, compared to 236, in a world where the US is already established and has been a power for over a century. It's much easier to think up alternate histories that aren't total made up nonsense when there are actually people who lived through WW2 and are alive today.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You would perhaps speak English a little better.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
English is a romance language with strong Germanic influences. In English, German, and French, they all use zed. The modern pronunciations of the alphabet letters aren't necessarily exactly what they were many years ago when our language was developing.

Americans just changed stuff because they are obsessed with differentiating themselves and then stating how their arbitrary differences are better.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Americans just changed stuff because they are obsessed with differentiating themselves and then stating how their arbitrary differences are better.
Yes. YES. America is like a gigantic experiment that's been going on for hundreds of years, all for the sake of being an experiment.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's a pretty funny experiment it has to be said.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
English is a romance language with strong Germanic influences.
Other way around, actually

In English, German, and French, they all use zed. The modern pronunciations of the alphabet letters aren't necessarily exactly what they were many years ago when our language was developing.
Languages never stop developing. Couldn't you say that America is just "developing" Z so it sounds like other letters?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Languages never stop developing. Couldn't you say that America is just "developing" Z so it sounds like other letters?
Not if it only happened just so you could say "Look, LOOK AT US, WE'RE DIFFERENT FROM YOU AND THAT MAKES US BETTER." :p

But being a little less of a troll (though tbh I bet a lot of it was ^ that...), I wouldn't call it developing, it's just changing. it doesn't really serve any practical purpose except to relieve those OCD people (there must have been a lot of them when it was first changed :troll:) who otherwise would suffer from this itch at the back of their brains. >.>

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Other way around, actually

Sure but then they could stop calling it English. :3

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Sure but then they could stop calling it English. :3
... And call it American? o.O

Come to think of it, I don't understand that thing in games. they give you the option of english, english (Australia) and english (America) when there's not actually that big a difference from the three. it's kind of strange to see them all there presented as 'different languages'.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Sure call it American, I'd have no gripes with it.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I think we would still have a war going on today. To be honest, I believe technology wouldn't be affected.

:phone:
Had Britain won the Revolutionary War, the colonies would be under British rule, thus doubtful there's be any revolutionary fights. As far as technology goes, I imagine it's dependent on what the monarchy would allow perhaps? Who is to say Thomas Edison or Ben Franklin would still be around to discover and invent what they did? Honestly, my prediction is that China would grow to be one of the biggest superpowers in the world, at least in technology and trade, but who knows? I forgot what caused them to close their trade doors in the first place, so my history is rather rusty.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Things get discovered eventually because the concepts behind inventions come from experience and ideas.

The telephone had a patent attempted by two separate people on the same day who developed the technology completely independently.

So yeah, don't be so sure about things not being invented because one dude didn't get teh historical opportunity.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
True enough, though maybe the inventor would be from Russia or France instead of North America? There's a lot of variables, as LuigiToilet previously stated.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I still think America would gain some sense of independence considering its enormous size and population.

The difference between America and your average colony of subjugated coloured natives is that rich white lords went there and resented having to give money to His Majesty.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It makes me wonder if slavery and segregation would still be around. I mean, were there slaves during the time of the Revolutionary War? Was Britain pro slavery back then? Gee, I've really lost touch with my history, it's pretty embarrassing. lol

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
It makes me wonder if slavery and segregation would still be around. I mean, were there slaves during the time of the Revolutionary War? Was Britain pro slavery back then? Gee, I've really lost touch with my history, it's pretty embarrassing. lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_Abolition_Act_1833

Britain had abolished slavery in 1833. So yea, the American colonies would have abolished slavery before the country America would have.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
While I usually enjoy counterfactuals, this one is so vague and covers so much time that a meaningful answer is basically impossible.

Still, it seems safe to assume that the U.S. would have gained its independence at some later date (as most overseas holdings of the British Empire eventually did), perhaps still remaining a part of the Commonwealth of Nations. France would have still gone bankrupt regardless of the outcome of the Revolutionary War, setting the stage for their own revolution, Napoleon, etc.

Beyond that, no one can say, although I find it extremely unlikely that racial segregation would be significantly mitigated simply by slavery having ended 30 years earlier than it did. True, there may not have been a Civil War (or at least not one when and how it happened), but the particulars of American segregation and racism are more informed by the social and economic concerns of America itself as opposed to the existence of slavery.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=5465]What would've happened if the American colonies lost to Britain?[/drupal]

I always meant to post this, but always forgot. Thankfully I remembered so now Im posting this XD

*ahem*

Anyways, how would you suppose life would be like in 2012 if George Washingtons army fell due to Cornwallis? There are multiple situations if this were to happen:

•Would we have Democracy?
•Would the Americas be owned by Europe still?
•Would we have the technology we have today?

It feels strange on what we would be doing RIGHT NOW if it weren't for Washington.

What do you suppose could've happened if America lost?
1. The united states of America is a Republic. Not a democracy. But, there are democratic Republics; a huge difference.

2. There are still colonies here on the American continent. The confederated colonies called Canada is one.

3. The English were extremely despotic. Not as much as the Christians during the European dark ages though. The opposition to the English actually fueled the information 'age' of that time. If they had it their way no one would have any books. This answer could be answered by looking at Al Andalus when it turned into a dump when the Moors, Jews and 'Pagans' were massacred and deported (if you survived). Or also when Justinian came to power and sent Europe back to the stone ages.

4. Involuntary servitude and slavery of any man or woman, except for the punishment of a crime, was outlawed by the English for political and economic reasons, not because they felt bad for people.

5. Such a conflict was going to happen sooner or later. Monarchy is absurd. Especially foreign monarchy. And the continual interactions of Europeans here with the Indios exposed them to (ancient) Republican principles which are in direct contradistinction to Monarchical principles. Put it this way, the English in the 18th century are like how the media of today portrays all muslims (most Radical despotic ones are from Wahhabist teachings, not Islam as a whole). Arbitrarily depriving people of their liberty and executing them in the public squares for everyone to watch screaming Allah Akbar lol. The English would scream traitor for not worshipping the king as God or the local pastor.

Top Bottom