• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what would you add to falcon to make him more mainable POLL - hitstun or priority?

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Captain falcon is far from the best character in brawl, we all know that. But still we stick to maining falcon.
But one can always dream and there isn't a better place to dream than on the interwebz right?

So here goes:
What would you add to falcon if you had to pick one of the following:
Hitstun - 3 (my own vote included)
Priority - 8

I'll edit the first post when people have voted.

after 21 posts, priority seems to be the choice.
but keep the votes coming, this isn't over yet :)

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
A lot of priority...
Of course I also want the original knee, the new knee is too easy to DI

Zeallyx

I'd rather have dash dancing than those two
why the **** would you rather have dashdancing than more priority or hitstun 0.o
explain please..

and about the how much priority question:
like alot more priority, so he can out prioritize al least mario's fire ball >_>
so enough to stay balanced, let's put it like that

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Hitstun. 100% sure. At least he'd have combos then.
Priority can be worked around, lack of hitstun cannot.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Not quite sure on the Hitstun front, but I know priority is needed for his moves.

Look at it this way:
You can increase the amount of Hitstun to potentially increase combo potential, but can you carry those combos out efficiently if they're just going to be out prioritized? I know the knee is different now, and to be honest, I wouldn't care if it stayed and everything else was given a priority boost, I can land knees whenever I see the opportunity now and that's just fine.

Overall I'd say Hitstun +40 and Priority +60 in an "out of 100" situation.
~~If I had to pick I would say Priority all the way.

Zeallyx

Not quite sure on the Hitstun front, but I know priority is needed for his moves.

Look at it this way:
You can increase the amount of Hitstun to potentially increase combo potential, but can you carry those combos out efficiently if they're just going to be out prioritized? I know the knee is different now, and to be honest, I wouldn't care if it stayed and everything else was given a priority boost, I can land knees whenever I see the opportunity now and that's just fine.

Overall I'd say Hitstun +40 and Priority +60 in an "out of 100" situation.
~~If I had to pick I would say Priority all the way.
but they can't outprioritize you when you are comboing them and combo's are made possible by hitstun..

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Well...actually CF needs more range too but if I have to decide it has to be priority

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I'd rather have dash dancing than those two
agreed,

his dash dance in melee and 64 for that matter was way useful for mind games and kept Falcon up to speed, he's played all slowly because he now has a **** skidding animation in the place of his dash dance, though hitstun and priority would be nice I think his way long dash dance is better.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I don't even think he needs more priority anymore. Most of the time getting hit is due to your opponent having a nondisjointed hitbox, which causes you to lose any time you're in the air because air attacks trade hits instead of clanking, but if you're hitting a disjointed hitbox you'll get hit and he won't because it's a sword or something lame. When you're on the ground and you pull out something like DTilt, if they hit you in the legs before it hits them or if your legs come up short they can hit you in the legs because the hitbox goes away after Falcon is fully extended. So it often looks like priority is a problem when it's something else causing you trouble, like nondisjointed hitboxes.

If we had more hitstun, it would be like Melee Falcon in Brawl, which would be vastly unfair for the other characters. There's too many things that almost work for me to say that more hitstun would be a good idea. With more hitstun Jabs to DSmash would be a combo, DTilt to Knee would be a combo, Dash A to Knee would be a combo, DThrow to Knee would be a combo, and all of them work often enough if you practice them, and if your opponent is consistently dodging them just punish the dodge instead.

So I vote for neither, as with enough skill you can make your opponents look like noobs anyways. (Hint: don't try to follow up for a while, and they won't be prepared to airdodge when you do, and play predictably(smart predictable, not dumbazz Falcon Kicks and Knees) for a while only to throw in a surprise Falcon Punch when you know how they'll react)

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
I don't even think he needs more priority anymore. Most of the time getting hit is due to your opponent having a nondisjointed hitbox, which causes you to lose any time you're in the air because air attacks trade hits instead of clanking, but if you're hitting a disjointed hitbox you'll get hit and he won't because it's a sword or something lame. When you're on the ground and you pull out something like DTilt, if they hit you in the legs before it hits them or if your legs come up short they can hit you in the legs because the hitbox goes away after Falcon is fully extended. So it often looks like priority is a problem when it's something else causing you trouble, like nondisjointed hitboxes.

If we had more hitstun, it would be like Melee Falcon in Brawl, which would be vastly unfair for the other characters. There's too many things that almost work for me to say that more hitstun would be a good idea. With more hitstun Jabs to DSmash would be a combo, DTilt to Knee would be a combo, Dash A to Knee would be a combo, DThrow to Knee would be a combo, and all of them work often enough if you practice them, and if your opponent is consistently dodging them just punish the dodge instead.

So I vote for neither, as with enough skill you can make your opponents look like noobs anyways. (Hint: don't try to follow up for a while, and they won't be prepared to airdodge when you do, and play predictably(smart predictable, not dumbazz Falcon Kicks and Knees) for a while only to throw in a surprise Falcon Punch when you know how they'll react)
The answer?: LET FALCON USE HIS LITTLE GUN THAT HE HAS, really, look for it in melee, not sure if it's still there in Brawl, but last time he had a small holster holding some sort of laser pistol around the back of one of this thighs.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Priority.

Captain Falcon can't hit a thing with SH aerials. Specifically his N-air. That makes his approach suck horribly. The reason Falcon is so terrible is because he can't approach safely. NOT because he can't combo. Also, his D-air, while it's a good combo starter even in Brawl, it has like no horizontal range or duration, which makes it ridiculously hard to connect with.

Also his grab range is just ridiculously bad. That along with bad priority on most attacks hurts him more than a lack of hitstun IMO.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
How about his gun so that he can actually use that projectile that's been tuanting us for years? A big loss to his game is his lack of (useable) projectiles.

Roihu

Smash Ace
Definitely priority. Raptor boost is outprioritized by everything so badly it's not even funny.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Definitely priority. Raptor boost is outprioritized by everything so badly it's not even funny.
To be honest, I don't think I've seen Raptor Boost legitimately outprioritized. What usually happens is you get hit before the uppercut starts. It clanks on projectiles that arn't too fast that they go right by it before the uppercut can catch them, and every time I've seen the uppercut come out against an opponent's move it clanks. If an enemy's move has enough range to hit you before the uppercut part triggers, then you'll often get hit. It's just a flaw with the design of Raptor boost that it doesn't trigger the uppercut in certain situations that would make it safer.

NAir is the only other attack that could be considered to have a problem with priority, but UAir works in many of the same situations and there's other things that would probably help more, like giving the Knee and DAir lower landing lag, making NAir a sex kick so timing it isn't a problem, letting CF use his gun (although I wouldn't get the satisfaction I do if I had a gun), or increasing his grab range.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
I'd put my vote on Hitstun as Falcon needs to be able to just land his moves without his opponent either immediately recovering and punishing or being able to air-dodge out of most of your U-airs and knees.

How many times has doing the old 64 combo of U-air to U-B failed because they either air-dodge only frames after you hit them or throw out an attack and leave you vulnerable when they should've been taken down.

and I really wish that the raptor boost didn't send them up so high that you'd have to double jump to reach them. Why can't it just send them as high as the top platform on Battlefield no matter what % they are at. Just enough so that raptor boost to U-air is actually a viable one-two combo on any character.

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
Dash dancing for sure because that gives him like infinite priority and some speed to substitute the lack of histun.

But Hitstun alone would be nice

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I think it's pretty much we have a couple moves that would be a lot better with more hitstun and a couple that would be a lot better with decent priority.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Hitstun definitely.

Even with bad priority, I'm sure we can all land hits every once in a while. And once I hit with that one Raptor Boost, or make that one Jab>Jab>Grab, who cares about priority? I'm just going to Uair you across the stage for a sweet, sweet Knee of Justice.

BlackTulip

Smash Cadet
Hitstun honestly, priority wouldn't matter much if you start with a Dthrow, after that you'd be able to rack up a decent amount of damage and possibly kill from a combo like in Melee if he had enough hitstun.

Top Bottom