• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What would the Wii U version be like if 3DS Smash didn't exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khao

Smash Lord
A single character in a roster with 50 is not a big loss in comparison to an extra mode that lets twice the players play at the same time.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I disagree, though that's just my opinion. Regardless of that, 8P Smahs was a selling point for SSB Wii U. It is one of the biggest answers to the question "What does this game have that Brawl does not?" It is even featured on the box of the game. No one is going to buy (or not buy) SSB because of IC, despite how much some players like them, but some people might be swayed by a large new mode that makes the game playable with large groups of people. Despite whether fans would actually enjoy 8P more than IC, I believe the dev team would pick 8P Smash over IC any day of the week. Characters have been cut with much less reason before (coughMewtwocough). Heck, not being compatible with 8P Smash is arguably a better reason to cut them than the one we were actually given, which was just "roster parity".
Where did all this "Ice Climbers don't work on 8 player smash" **** come from? The 3DS couldn't handle them. Not the WiiU.

The Ice Climbers being playable on the WiiU are more than enough to sacrifice the 3DS version. Sm4sh 3D is simply bad and useless.

And LOL at the people saying that the 3DS version "saved" Super Smash Bros. **** that noise.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Again, if the Wii U wasn't able to handle 8 (16) Ice Climbers, they could have just given them less alternate colors to accommodate the maximum number the Wii U could handle. If it could only handle 5 at a time, give them 5 costumes. It's better than cutting an entire character or mode.

Or have some stages not available when a certain amount of ICs are chosen. It wouldn't be much harder to program (heck the game does it now with there being different stages available between 6 and 7 players) and wouldn't require any cuts to the game.

D

Deleted member

Did Sakurai specifically state 8 player smash was the reason Ice Climbers weren't in? I kinda feel like the Wii U could've handled 8 player Ice Climbers.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Did Sakurai specifically state 8 player smash was the reason Ice Climbers weren't in? I kinda feel like the Wii U could've handled 8 player Ice Climbers.
He specifically stated that it was the 3DS that couldn't handle them, but since people are trying all they can to downplay the fact that the 3DS held the WiiU back, this "theory" has surfaced, even though Sakurai specifically said that the Ice Climbers worked perfectly on WiiU.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I suppose we'd have the Ice Climbers back, so that's one big thing. As for 8-Player Smash, I really don't think the Wii U would have had issues handling 8 sets of Ice Climbers, I really do believe the 3DS is partially to blame for that one. As for Pokemon Trainer, I unfortunately think he was bodied very early in development in favour of tuning up Charizard to be on his own. The Pokemon Trainer was just too gimmicky / awkward, and Sakurai knew it I think.

That being said, there raises a question of whether or not the dev team would have even thought to implement 8-Player Smash at all had there been no 3DS version. After all, 8-Player Smash is considered to be one of the bigger selling points of the Wii U version that differentiates itself from the 3DS version. Yeah, there are a multitude of things that make the Wii U version plainly better and superior in my opinion, but I am also not a casual player. The Wii U version needed that extra push to make the more casual crowd think about forking over the funds for the Wii U version.

In the end, had the 3DS version never seen the light of day, I don't think things would have been drastically different, but I do feel that the Wii U version would have been fleshed out more and refined more than it currently is. Perhaps we'd have Lucas, Mewtwo and company in the initial game, but maybe not. We certainly would have had Ice Climbers IMO, the stage selection probably would have been more diverse on the Wii U version, and we may have had a better Classic Mode, but other than that, anything else is unclear and trivial. It doesn't seem like Sakurai was too keen on adding another SSE-like mode regardless, so that's hard to say, and I really wasn't a fan of SSE in the first place.

In conclusion, I'm pretty happy with what we got, and am ecstatic that we're getting Lucas and Mewtwo back at all. Whether the Wii U version would have been much better is debatable depending on who you are.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
He specifically stated that it was the 3DS that couldn't handle them, but since people are trying all they can to downplay the fact that the 3DS held the WiiU back, this "theory" has surfaced, even though Sakurai specifically said that the Ice Climbers worked perfectly on WiiU.
Yep. He specifically said that. Before 8p was announced. And 8p barely works on most stages as-is. If the game can't handle 8 players on FD, why would it be able to handle 4 pairs of ICs on FD?

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Yep. He specifically said that. Before 8p was announced. And 8p barely works on most stages as-is. If the game can't handle 8 players on FD, why would it be able to handle 4 pairs of ICs on FD?
That never seemed to be a problem for Melee and Brawl, which both had very transitional backgrounds, Melee being the least transitional and Sm4sh being the most, but even with that it handled them well.

I don't believe the whole 8PS being added because Ice Climbers were removed BS, sorry. Sure he said that before 8PS was announced, but much like the character roster, the mode was probably decided once development was being worked on, so Ice Climbers probably were tested in the mode just like the other pair characters (Rosalina and Duck Hunt; even with their difference in AI). I won't believe that 8PS happened because of their exclusion until Sakurai says so himself.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Ice Climbers is the only real thing we'd probably have.

I'm unsure if we'd have both Smash Run and Smash Tour on WiiU, or if any other 3DS-only content would've been made at all.
Let's not forget that if the 3DS version wasn't made, manhours spent on 3DS-only content wouldn't just convert into WiiU manhours. The stage count would probably be equal or only slightly more then the one we have now on WiiU, to name a something specifically.

Last edited:

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
It's also likely we probably would have less stuff recycled from Brawl. Probably more new voice clips, new menu sound effects, and maybe new victory themes? Some characters like Dark Pit, Bowser, and Rosalina have unique themes different from their franchises so that leads me to believe everyone was supposed to have their own like it was planned for Brawl but they ran out of time.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
We probably would have gotten an Adventure Mode on the scale of Subspace, only without the cutscenes/focus on story, and with actual Nintendo settings. In exchange, we may not have gotten Smash Tour, and probably would not have gotten Smash Run.

I also think custom moves and equipment may have had their implementation better handled. I love custom moves and equipment, but there is just barely any use for equipment specifically in the Wii U version. I've used it to make certain single-player stuff easier, and I feed it to my Amiibos. I have a few custom builds with crazy equipment, but I built those on 3DS and just imported them to Wii U because, why not (and some of them were made for Wii U challenges when I didn't have good equipment on Wii U). Beyond that, I have no use for equipment on Wii U. I can't force my friends to want to use it, and there is currently no way to play with randoms using equipment. If there was no 3DS version, I think they might have had a chance to implement some better use for custom stuff. Even on 3DS, the only advantage of customs there is Smash Run, but customs would make a large scale Adventure Mode on Wii U more enjoyable, too, for example.

However, I don't think characters/stages would have been much different. We probably would have gotten Ice Climbers since they were actually pretty much finished, but I still think Mewtwo would have been DLC (Sakurai stated that he used Mewtwo as the guinea pig for seeing how well people would receive DLC in Smash). And DLC in general would have been a thing, since Smash is a gold mine for Nintendo in that regard.

Overall though, I prefer having a handheld Smash over even these theoretical features that a Wii U exclusive Smash would have had.

It's also likely we probably would have less stuff recycled from Brawl. Probably more new voice clips, new menu sound effects, and maybe new victory themes? Some characters like Dark Pit, Bowser, and Rosalina have unique themes different from their franchises so that leads me to believe everyone was supposed to have their own like it was planned for Brawl but they ran out of time.
Those characters just have unique victory themes because their franchises default ones really, REALLY don't fit them, as those characters have a different feel to the other characters in their franchise.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That never seemed to be a problem for Melee and Brawl, which both had very transitional backgrounds, Melee being the least transitional and Sm4sh being the most, but even with that it handled them well.

I don't believe the whole 8PS being added because Ice Climbers were removed BS, sorry. Sure he said that before 8PS was announced, but much like the character roster, the mode was probably decided once development was being worked on, so Ice Climbers probably were tested in the mode just like the other pair characters (Rosalina and Duck Hunt; even with their difference in AI). I won't believe that 8PS happened because of their exclusion until Sakurai says so himself.
Different game, different engine. 8 characters is still 8 characters, Ice Climber or not.

The duck is literally a part of the dog, doesn't animate separately and doesn't have any AI. He's a sword that quacks. Luma has a painfully simple AI and model, and Rosalina herself isn't even that detailed. Meanwhile the ICs are two full characters and one requires a full AI as proven by Melee's debug menu.

"Working" could mean many things. Doesn't necessarily mean they were optimized or even had a proper HD model.

Not really. The 3DS version took model making time and solo mode time, time that wouldn't of existed without it. All the voices, SFX and (almost all) songs in the 3DS version are in the Wii U version. Some songs are reserved for the Miiverse stage, and the ones that aren't are a chiptune remix of Battlefield for Street Smash and two 5-minute songs directly from KIU for use in Smash Run.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Oh shut up. He said they worked. That's it. They did. Do you think he came up with 8-player smash only after he revealed the reason behind Ice Climbers (which was roughly one month before WiiU's version's release?).
You're just trying to take off the blame from the 3DS. 3DS killed Ice Climbers. And Squirtle. And Ivysaur. That's the truth and Sakurai ****ing confirmed it.

Soul.

It's 2015 and people still have the idea of hating a game because a 2-in-1 character from a 1985 game has been in 2 Smash games and suddenly disappears in the fourth game of the series. Oh, complaints. Ugh.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It's 2015 and people still have the idea of hating a game because a 2-in-1 character from a 1985 game has been in 2 Smash games and suddenly disappears in the fourth game of the series. Oh, complaints. Ugh.
Nah man, Sm4sh 3DS sucks in its own right. In fact, it sucks so bad that it actually ruins a whole other game with its suckness.
But scratch Ice Climbers, Squirtle and Ivysaur. Who cares about them, you're right.
Sm4sh 3DS sucks anyway.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Oh shut up. He said they worked. That's it. They did. Do you think he came up with 8-player smash only after he revealed the reason behind Ice Climbers (which was roughly one month before WiiU's version's release?).
You're just trying to take off the blame from the 3DS. 3DS killed Ice Climbers. And Squirtle. And Ivysaur. That's the truth and Sakurai ****ing confirmed it.
Lolololol. You're just some hater. The fact of the mater is that it wasn't 100% confirmed the way you want it, and that upsets you deeply.

And according to an interview 8p Smash was planned since Melee. It's the perfect excuse to cut them and their jank. Yes, I feel sorry for their fans (along with the PT cuts), but they're difficult to both balance and to make them work properly.

Pokemon Trainer was the character that killed transformations in Sakurai's eyes. People were freakin' hyped right up until people realized maining essentially three characters was a ***** and then nobody used him. People never really bothered switching between Zelda and Shiek mid-match, and Samus and ZSS hated that you had to transform after a Final Smash. It was likely going to happen for balance (and for PT, slots) anyway.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The duck is literally a part of the dog, doesn't animate separately and doesn't have any AI. He's a sword that quacks. Luma has a painfully simple AI and model, and Rosalina herself isn't even that detailed. Meanwhile the ICs are two full characters and one requires a full AI as proven by Melee's debug menu.
The Duck is technically a different model, it is just animated around the Dog. It has it's own separate rigging and animset.

Luma's AI is more complex than Nana's (I wouldn't expect many people to realise though, as too many people don't bother experimenting with Luma when playing as Rosalina and don't know his nuances, not even Rosalina mains) and Rosalina is definitely more detailed than an Ice Climber (hair and gown are dynamic physics objects, gown is reflective, much more detailed animation than most in the cast, etc), and is one of the most detailed characters in general, but Luma is also like, the simplest model in the game, almost. Luma's pure visual simplicity is why Rosalina and Luma work (and even then, they just barely work on 3DS, as I've caused slowdown on 3DS by doing certain things with them while it doesn't happen with any other character). Also, since Luma's AI is not PLAYER AI (the game treats him as "half-item, half-player" - in Smash Run, Ghastly takes damage from Lumas attacks), and is a unique kind of AI, it's possible it is compressed more despite it's higher complexity in practice.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It doesn't upset me that it happened, what ****ing pisses me off is people trying to blame the WiiU version for it. Most who do that don't own a WiiU of course.
And yes it was confirmed. Sakurai flat out said that, but whatever.

Soul.

Nah man, Sm4sh 3DS sucks in its own right. In fact, it sucks so bad that it actually ruins a whole other game with its suckness.
But scratch Ice Climbers, Squirtle and Ivysaur. Who cares about them, you're right.
Sm4sh 3DS sucks anyway.
Or maybe you're just salty they aren't in?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Or maybe you're just salty they aren't in?
I really do not give a **** about them. I prefer Snake a lot more. You don't see me complain about Snake because his removal was probably inevitable, not like Ice Climbers, which don't appear on WiiU just because Nintendo is afraid 3DS owners are going to be butthurt. It's like if they removed content from Xenoblade Chronicles X because Xenoblade Chronicles 3D doesn't have it. It's idiotic at best and only people who play only the clearly inferior version can accept it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The fact that there is even a rivalry between "Wii U only" and "3DS only" guys to begin with baffles me...

You are literally playing the same game, the same ideas, only tailoured for two different kinds of play - dedicated home console play/couch multiplayer, and smaller, portable bursts of play that is, in most cases, probably gonna be alone. There is a reason why Smash Wii U has the better multiplayer experience, and Smash 3DS has the more fleshed out single-player experience.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
The fact that there is even a rivalry between "Wii U only" and "3DS only" guys to begin with baffles me...

You are literally playing the same game, the same ideas, only tailoured for two different kinds of play - dedicated home console play/couch multiplayer, and smaller, portable bursts of play that is, in most cases, probably gonna be alone. There is a reason why Smash Wii U has the better multiplayer experience, and Smash 3DS has the more fleshed out single-player experience.
Honestly WiiU's single player, while being mediocre at best, is still a lot better than 3DS'. Like, there's no comparison.
I wouldn't be so much against the 3DS version if it didn't affect the WiiU one, which is the best one and the one I'll play from now own (haven't touched the 3DS one since November).
And they're not even the same game. Like, they have tons of differences. If they were cross-compatible I would accept Ice Climbers not being in, but they're not even that. There is literally no reason to cut them from WiiU except uh-uh, risk to piss off 3DS fans.

Soul.

You people need to realize that handheld Smash is here to stay and there's nothing you can do about it. Complaints do nothing. It's selling well, people still play it and it was long overdue.
I really do not give a **** about them. I prefer Snake a lot more. You don't see me complain about Snake because his removal was probably inevitable, not like Ice Climbers, which don't appear on WiiU just because Nintendo is afraid 3DS owners are going to be butthurt. It's like if they removed content from Xenoblade Chronicles X because Xenoblade Chronicles 3D doesn't have it. It's idiotic at best and only people who play only the clearly inferior version can accept it.
If you really don't give a **** about them, why are you talking about ICs then? Yes, they were working on the Wii U version. Then they saw the 3DS. If the handheld had better hardware I'm pretty sure they could run on the thing.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Honestly WiiU's single player, while being mediocre at best, is still a lot better than 3DS'. Like, there's no comparison.
I wouldn't be so much against the 3DS version if it didn't affect the WiiU one, which is the best one and the one I'll play from now own (haven't touched the 3DS one since November).
And they're not even the same game. Like, they have tons of differences. If they were cross-compatible I would accept Ice Climbers not being in, but they're not even that. There is literally no reason to cut them from WiiU except uh-uh, risk to piss off 3DS fans.
The Wii U's single-player is extremely monotonous. Most of it is just the same stuff you do on 3DS, only it takes longer (such as Classic Mode taking longer on Wii U), and has extra stipulations. I would be fine with Challenges like "Clear Classic on 9.0 without losing a single life" if there wasn't so much RNG in Wii U Classic Mode, such as intruders and what not. Meanwhile, 3DS gives me a choice between what series reps I might see next, what stages I might see next (if you pick a Mario series path, you only have a chance of fighting on a Mario series stage), and what difficulty. It does it's best to minimise the RNG factor as much as possible. Meanwhile, you could choose to fight Mario and Luigi in a Classic Mode stage in Wii U, only to then be forced to fight Giant Bowser and Metal Little Mac instead. Too much RNG factor in a single player mode of a fighting game kills it.

And when it comes to getting stuff like equipment and custom moves, the Wii U version doesn't have a good mode for grinding that stuff, yet it still expects you to for 100% completion. At the very least, the 3DS version is designed with that grind in mind, and does a really good job of making it less repetitive than the Wii U version does, and you have a great deal of influence over what you get in single-player modes.

The 3DS version is objectively better than Wii U in almost every way when it comes to single player content. The only thing the Wii U version has going for it are Events (I would say Master Fortress but it honestly just makes me wish the Wii U version had a Subspace 2.0), but you can 100% that mode really quickly, and it honestly would have been better suited to 3DS anyway, as they are bite-sized challenges. And the 3DS version's main strength is that you can just play it on the go, of course.

The Wii U version, on the other hand, is just fundamentally better in terms of control, has better multiplayer options, and has better creative options, as well as the HD visuals.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't see why everyone wants a Wii U version of Smash Run, it really wouldn't work. Sure, it was the more popular mode, but it was built with the 3DS in mind, not the Wii U. How would one activate his/her powers without a touch screen (assuming the player isn't using the gamepad)?
And how would you play locally? 4 player split-screen in a large TV? Too small. Smash Run is fine as it is. So agreed.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If there was no 3DS version, I doubt it would have most of the bells and whilstles that where exclusive to the 3DS version, as someone else said. A lot of things in the 3DS version where made with the idea of a handheld Smash in mind. That means no Smash Run and most if not all of the handheld console game stages as well as the 3DS version's Classic mode. Not to mention that there would have been a smaller team and budget going with it too as there would be only one game to work with too.

The only thing different would be the inclusion of Ice Climbers (and maybe the Chorus Kids if they where really intended and cut for the same reasons) and certain 3DS stages like Magicant and SNES Mute City in the Wii U version. And maybe a few other minor things.

Oh and a lot of people still demanding a handheld Smash.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The Duck is technically a different model, it is just animated around the Dog. It has it's own separate rigging and animset.

Luma's AI is more complex than Nana's (I wouldn't expect many people to realise though, as too many people don't bother experimenting with Luma when playing as Rosalina and don't know his nuances, not even Rosalina mains) and Rosalina is definitely more detailed than an Ice Climber (hair and gown are dynamic physics objects, gown is reflective, much more detailed animation than most in the cast, etc), and is one of the most detailed characters in general, but Luma is also like, the simplest model in the game, almost. Luma's pure visual simplicity is why Rosalina and Luma work (and even then, they just barely work on 3DS, as I've caused slowdown on 3DS by doing certain things with them while it doesn't happen with any other character). Also, since Luma's AI is not PLAYER AI (the game treats him as "half-item, half-player" - in Smash Run, Ghastly takes damage from Lumas attacks), and is a unique kind of AI, it's possible it is compressed more despite it's higher complexity in practice.
Pretty sure the duck doesn't animate separately from the dog. Like how Ike's sword is a separate model but animates with Ike.

Luma is hard to figure out, but I don't think it's as complex an AI as Nana. Nana reacts separately from button presses and can ignore them, Luma reacts directly and can only eat an imput when in the middle of another action.

It doesn't upset me that it happened, what ****ing pisses me off is people trying to blame the WiiU version for it. Most who do that don't own a WiiU of course.
"Working" doesn't specify how well. Sakurai doesn't even like to go into cut content... We're lucky he talked about them at all.

And I have 136/140 checks on SSBU, and one is just trophies because I'm doing All-star hard. I play it much more then SSB3D, but the hate is completely unjustified. So here I am.

The 3DS version was the only thing that 100% kept them out. Just because they could of worked doesn't mean they would of been kept in, there's still the overwhelming balance issues.

Wii U's Classic is garbage compared to the 3DS version, and grinding on 3DS Classic and Smash Run handily beats Crazy Orders. A good strat in SR will get you the last four or five hats in a few hours. There also isn't BS-y challenges like All-star hard as everybody or 9.0 no deaths. And going for all 1000s in SR is tons of fun.

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Was not confirmed at all.

There could possibly be many reasons, and many factors, I'd be very surprised if there were not.
The only one we know of, has to do with 3DS.

And on that note, he didn't even say that ICs flat out could not work on 3DS.
From my interpretation, it sounds like problems they were having may have caused them to simply fall to the wayside.

D

Deleted member

Where did all this "Ice Climbers don't work on 8 player smash" **** come from? The 3DS couldn't handle them. Not the WiiU.

The Ice Climbers being playable on the WiiU are more than enough to sacrifice the 3DS version. Sm4sh 3D is simply bad and useless.

And LOL at the people saying that the 3DS version "saved" Super Smash Bros. **** that noise.
I'd rather have 8-Player Smash on Wii U and the existence of the better-selling 3DS version over Ice Climbers. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. I for one never cared for them. They are practically useless, to me, anyway. I do respect those who main(ed) them on Brawl and Melee, however. Why would you want to scrap one version just for a character that couldn't get in that said version due to technical limitations? They're the number one reason why these pointless arguments exist in the first place.

No, it didn't "save" Smash Bros.. but this version proves this series can work in a handheld.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
This threads in cancerous, I don't know how this thread isn't locked yet. I don't think the 3DS is bad they just more time to make them work or make them work differently and besides Ice Climbers are not that important to cut a version of a game just for them. There is no need to hate the 3ds version of the game because of some things are not in both versions, all of those things are not the 3ds fault.

GideonSmash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gideon1999
Smash 3ds is a game designed more for kids while smash wii u is the definitive hardcore party game.

Warning: hate incoming

D

Deleted member

Yeah, but no matter what happens, people still argue over which version is better or bash the portable console's game for not offering a character.

Smash 3ds is a game designed more for kids while smash wii u is the definitive hardcore party game.

Warning: hate incoming
To each their own.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, but no matter what happens, people still argue over which version is better or bash the portable console's game for not offering a character.
I guess we just need something to fight each other over. First the Melee vs Brawl debates and now this.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's like the Console Wars dilemma, but that's another story. I really am tired of threads like this.
Playstation and XBOX fans have console wars with each other. Nintendo fans have console wars with themselves..... apparently..... :T

But yeah I agree with you.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
A while ago I had anticipated that this thread would branch into the territory of 3DS vs Wii U flaming, and it's gotten there. Arguements over the Icies and 8 Player Smash and how that the 3DS was the version to blame is primarily why this is being shut.

I'll be locking this as a result.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom