• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What would the Wii U version be like if 3DS Smash didn't exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Not sure if this question has been made yet, but eh, i'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Personally, I think that if 3DS Sm4sh didn't exist, there wouldn't be HEAPS more, maybe a few more characters (*cough* Ice Climbers *cough*) or costumes for characters, like Wolf on Fox, Lucas on Ness, etc.

D

Deleted member

We'd have Smash Run and more stages for starters. (Why did Wii U have to get Smash Tour instead ARGHHHHH)

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I don't see why everyone wants a Wii U version of Smash Run, it really wouldn't work. Sure, it was the more popular mode, but it was built with the 3DS in mind, not the Wii U. How would one activate his/her powers without a touch screen (assuming the player isn't using the gamepad)?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't see why everyone wants a Wii U version of Smash Run, it really wouldn't work. Sure, it was the more popular mode, but it was built with the 3DS in mind, not the Wii U. How would one activate his/her powers without a touch screen (assuming the player isn't using the gamepad)?
Well as for why people want it, its cause it's arguably the best unique new content they gave us, at least the most entertaining.

You do raise a good point about the touchscreen, however I think it could work with either of these options.

1. Just use the touchscreen but also lets you use separate controllers, there are games like MonHun and NSMB that work like this.
2. Turn off Taunts and let you cycle through power ups with the D-Pad.
3. Let's you pause and during the pause screen you can select power ups.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I would certainly see a good chunk of stages on the WiiU version that got shoehorned into the 3DS one (Corneria, Brinstar, to name a couple)

Raijinken

Smash Master
Probably just Ice Climbers, and they might'a put Mute City and Magicant on the U version. That's about it, though.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
And Smash would have sold so much less, that Nintendo could "reboot" the series in a fifth title with horrible consequences. I live Smash 4, it's true this division into 3DSv and Wii Uv is not good for consumers, but for Nintendo as a company.

I don't like it, but maybe it's the best way to have a good Smash game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ice climbers would have ben playable (maybe would have ben non dlc doesn't mean sakurai will figure out a way around it. But i really doubt it though.)

Probably would have gotten a melee like adventure mode.

A few of stages in the 3ds version would have ben on the wii u
(Probably the pac-maze,warioware, the f-zero stage, is the best bets)

Music from the 3ds version as well (100% not 90%)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I doubt we would of had the ICs even just because of 8-player Smash.

We'd probably have a few of the new 3DS stages on Wii U, some replacing the ones we have and others just being displaced, and that's about it.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
I doubt Ice Climbers would have made the cut even if there was no 3DS version. Sakurai said that he couldn't get them working on 3DS, but I think the real reason is because they are horribly designed and couldn't be fixed without scrapping their trademark gimmick.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Smash Run and Smash Tour would be on both systems.

3DS Classic mode would have been the main classic mode

Transformations would have still been in (and it would have sucked)

Mewtwo wouldn't have been DLC and same for no ICs.

Online would have been better.

Magicant, SNES Mute City, Arena Ferox, Gerudo Valley and Pac-Maze in HD.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Probably alot better than what we got. First of all we probably wouldn't have lost the Ice Climbers or Wolf, and I bet Smash Run would probably be on the Wii U version too. The game would likely have alot more content, like an adventure mode or the missing break the targets. More new stages would be present as well.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
This game could've been so much better if it was a Wii U exclusive. We would have had much more content like characters, stages, and much better single player modes other then the last minute smash tour smash run game types that nobody I know plays.

We would've had much more effort put in to custom moves other then stronger but slower and wind box effects. Also, the game would've sold worse then the 3DS and Wii U Version did but it would've sold more then the Wii U version did alone. Not only that but more people would've bought a Wii U for Smash, helping Nintendo get out of the nobody buys Wii U's situation

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Ridley would be playable.

But seriously, Ice Climbers would be here, possibly Wolf and Lucas as well, more stages, and possibly more characters (since they would get a heck lot more development time with only 1 game to develop)

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I think Ice Climbers would be here (what about 8-Player Smash? I wonder if that would still make they absent or the mode itself would not exist yet), more stages (Magicant :salt:) and Smash Run and Smash Tour would be together.

Khao

Smash Lord
We'd have the Ice Climbers.

Zelda and Sheik would be a single character.

Samus and Zero Suit Samus would be a single character.

Pokémon Trainer may have been back rather than just Charizard.

Other than that, I wouldn't really expect anything to be different if there was no 3DS version.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mewtwo wouldn't be DLC... He'd be in the inital roster, and better than the garbage we have now.
The gameplay would feel less cheap/cartoony, and we'd probably have more solid/interesting gameplay mechanics/balancing.
More characters
Fusion Characters would return (Zelda/Sheik, for example) (This includes Pokemon Trainer)
More gameplay modes
A more polished online mode
A better engine
And various other changes that would make the game live up to the Wii U's potential, as opposed to being "Smash 3DS 1.578" (not even worth being a 2.0)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It funny to see the people that don't understand video game development think that we'd have whoever they didn't get if the 3DS version didn't exist.

Character design and balance was shared between the two versions. The amount of effort that went into the two games would be the same as one in this regard, except a few niche things like bike parts and certain characters' projectiles would be different because of limitations. Only thing that's different between the two are the models and that's not directly related to character design and balance. There's also testing both versions for consistency... But then again Sakurai wouldn't of hired such a large team if there wasn't two games. The character roster would undoubtedly be the same, except maybe a newcomer might of been split up for some clones with the model makers having more time.

TroperCase

Smash Cadet
I'd think we might have gotten Smash Run instead of Smash Tour, or possibly neither. The Ice Climbers may or may not have made it (or possibly would have limitations in 8-player Smash). The stage roster may have been bigger, while the character and item rosters may have been smaller. I think all significant gameplay engine \ design decisions would have stayed the same (e.g. separated characters would have still been separated).

Edit: The name would have almost certainly been different. Either a plain repeat of the 64 title (Super Smash Brothers), or a new one word subtitle.

Last edited:

Browningtons

Smash Rookie
NNID
browningtons
They could have implemented smash run, and maybe would've dropped stupid gimmicks like 8 player smash.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
If they couldn't have 8 Ice Climbers on the screen at once, they could have just made less than 8 colors for them. So if it could handle like 5 max then just give 5 colors. It's not ideal but it's certainly better than cutting an entire character or mode.

Anyways, if the 3DS version didn't exist then we would have the successor to Brawl that we should have. Every franchise would have at least one new stage (none of this "Earthbound and F-Zero, 2 franchises in the game since 64, have no new stages on the Wii U/Donkey Kong/Zelda/Pokemon/Wario/Kirby only have one new stage" nonsense). While we may not have gotten Smash Run, Smash Tour probably wouldn't have been the "main new mode". We might still have gotten it, sure, but it seems like it didn't take much work to make so we might have gotten an actual 1P mode.

Characters like Zelda/Sheik might have stayed as transformations, but then again Sakurai said there were other reasons too for them being split so maybe not. Pokemon Trainer as a whole might have come back though. The 2 DLC characters we know about (Mewtwo and Lucas) seem like they've been planned for awhile, and Sakurai definitely does not seem like the type of person to intentionally hold off game content until post-release to make it paid DLC, so maybe they (or at least Mewtwo) would have been in the base game. If Roy and Ryu are actually a thing, maybe they would have been the first two DLC characters.

The game might have come out a bit earlier, but I'd like to think it would have been released on the same date but they just used the extra development time to make the game better. And as for it being on the 3DS, they could have had a watered-down port of the Wii U version on the new 3DS released after the Wii U version was released (so basically what we have now), or like a port of Melee/64 or something.

And finally, we probably would have had a better name than "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U". My guess as to why they skipped using an actual subtitle this time was because they were worried people would get confused about the whole dual-system thing, and if each version had the same subtitle, or even different ones from one another, someone might have gotten the wrong version for their system. It sounds silly, yes, but I remember back when Animal Crossing New Leaf was announced, so many people kept asking if they could play it on their regular DS. And then there was that guy who somehow missed Nintendo's constant reminders to register Mewtwo on Club Nintendo, so I know for a fact that if Smash 4 had actual subtitles, someone would have bought the Wii U version for their 3DS and then would angrily claim that Nintendo wasn't "clear" in how they advertised their games.

tl;dr, it would be called "Super Smash Bros. Riot" or something, we'd have the Ice Climbers, probably Mewtwo on the base game, maybe Lucas, a better stage list, an actual 1P mode, maybe character transformations, and a straight-up port on the new 3DS in 2016 or something.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If they couldn't have 8 Ice Climbers on the screen at once, they could have just made less than 8 colors for them. So if it could handle like 5 max then just give 5 colors. It's not ideal but it's certainly better than cutting an entire character or mode.

Anyways, if the 3DS version didn't exist then we would have the successor to Brawl that we should have. Every franchise would have at least one new stage (none of this "Earthbound and F-Zero, 2 franchises in the game since 64, have no new stages on the Wii U/Donkey Kong/Zelda/Pokemon/Wario/Kirby only have one new stage" nonsense). While we may not have gotten Smash Run, Smash Tour probably wouldn't have been the "main new mode". We might still have gotten it, sure, but it seems like it didn't take much work to make so we might have gotten an actual 1P mode.

Characters like Zelda/Sheik might have stayed as transformations, but then again Sakurai said there were other reasons too for them being split so maybe not. Pokemon Trainer as a whole might have come back though. The 2 DLC characters we know about (Mewtwo and Lucas) seem like they've been planned for awhile, and Sakurai definitely does not seem like the type of person to intentionally hold off game content until post-release to make it paid DLC, so maybe they (or at least Mewtwo) would have been in the base game. If Roy and Ryu are actually a thing, maybe they would have been the first two DLC characters.

The game might have come out a bit earlier, but I'd like to think it would have been released on the same date but they just used the extra development time to make the game better. And as for it being on the 3DS, they could have had a watered-down port of the Wii U version on the new 3DS released after the Wii U version was released (so basically what we have now), or like a port of Melee/64 or something.

And finally, we probably would have had a better name than "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U". My guess as to why they skipped using an actual subtitle this time was because they were worried people would get confused about the whole dual-system thing, and if each version had the same subtitle, or even different ones from one another, someone might have gotten the wrong version for their system. It sounds silly, yes, but I remember back when Animal Crossing New Leaf was announced, so many people kept asking if they could play it on their regular DS. And then there was that guy who somehow missed Nintendo's constant reminders to register Mewtwo on Club Nintendo, so I know for a fact that if Smash 4 had actual subtitles, someone would have bought the Wii U version for their 3DS and then would angrily claim that Nintendo wasn't "clear" in how they advertised their games.

tl;dr, it would be called "Super Smash Bros. Riot" or something, we'd have the Ice Climbers, probably Mewtwo on the base game, maybe Lucas, a better stage list, an actual 1P mode, maybe character transformations, and a straight-up port on the new 3DS in 2016 or something.
Wii Fit studio is also against the ICs because of the reflection, and the lack of a subtitle is because the Japanese games were always these "finally final" type names like SSBDX and SSBX.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Wii Fit studio is also against the ICs because of the reflection, and the lack of a subtitle is because the Japanese games were always these "finally final" type names like SSBDX and SSBX.
Sakurai did say that the ICs were up and running in the Wii U version when they were cut, and while we don't know if 8 Player Smash was put in before or after their cut we do know Wii Fit Studio was (it was in Wii Fit Trainer's trailer) so I don't think that would have been an issue.

And was that confirmed to be the reason why they don't have a subtitle? I didn't really look around for an answer but I feel like even if it was the dual-system thing was also a reason.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Sakurai did say that the ICs were up and running in the Wii U version when they were cut, and while we don't know if 8 Player Smash was put in before or after their cut we do know Wii Fit Studio was (it was in Wii Fit Trainer's trailer) so I don't think that would have been an issue.

And was that confirmed to be the reason why they don't have a subtitle? I didn't really look around for an answer but I feel like even if it was the dual-system thing was also a reason.
Didn't say how well, or if they worked with 8p. Like others have said, they have some overwhelming balance issues.

No, it wasn't confirmed.

GanonPawnch

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MLT117
Honestly, it's pretty obvious that the Wii U one would be even better if there was no 3DS version, having Ice Climbers back is debatable though. Maybe they brought in 8 player smash because of no Ice Climbers? Anyway, the game has pretty much been split in two, with certain modes purposefully being left out of the other to make the two games feel unique from one another. If there were only the Wii U one, we'd have all stages, music and perhaps all modes we have now (maybe not smash run) and possibly more.

I honestly feel that smash run was their way of having an adventure mode feeling mode, because of the PvE type battling, etc. So, maybe we would have gotten an adventure mode too?

There's also the problem of people that are like "Why buy the Wii U one, I already have a 3DS" and this is bad for the Wii U, yes, the core fans of Smash will buy it for Wii U but, lots of casual fans won't and it's the Wii U that needs help, NOT the 3DS, that's doing more than fine.

No one can deny that if it was exclusive to the Wii U, we'd have more content (in one version) and no one would have complained about not having a portable version, because the game has been console exclusive from the very start. I honestly think it was a bad decision having a 3DS version, I really do.

Last edited:

CrongGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
CrongGamer

Though how would you feel if they removed stuff like 8 Player Smash were removed for the Ice Climbers and switchable characters? (Assuming there was no 3ds version)

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
We'd have tons of casuals complaining about weebling (or whatever name we'll call the next wobble)

ImBroken

Smash Rookie
We would probably have Ice Climbers, and we would have a lot more content since the developers would only focus on the Wii U version. Other then that not much would change.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I honestly don't imagine the game would be much different. Let's be realistic, without the 3DS version, the Wii U game's budget would have taken a huge hit. The dev team would not have been as large. As such, we would not get all the features of the 3DS game and the Wii U game combined. We certainly wouldn't be getting giant Adventure modes on top of all of that. They wouldn't have the resources to ever even design many of those modes.

Same goes with characters; if there was no 3DS version, we probably would have less characters, not more. The 3DS' limitations were the reason transformations were removed, so Sheik and ZSS likely would not have been separated, and I imagine we would have gotten Pokemon Trainer back instead of just Charizard. Designing and balancing Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard would be more demanding than a single character, so there might have even been less new characters because of them (or more cuts!). Ice Climbers were working at one point on Wii U, but 8-player Smash supposedly barely works on Wii U currently (as evidenced by how much of the environments they need to cut to get some stages running), so I doubt the IC would be compatible with 8P Smash. The game would need to essentially run 16P Smash. So the team might very well have had to choose between IC and 8P.

All that said, the stages may very well have been different. While I'm not convinced we would have more new stages (smaller budget = less time to design new stages), we might very well have gotten some different old stages. The fan-favorite returning stages were split between versions, which would not have been necessary had there been only one game. So some of 3DS's popular returning stages like Yoshi's Island, Brinstar, or Corneria might have made the leap, replacing some of the less-popular Wii U returning stages (like Yoshi's Island Melee, Norfair, and Lylat Cruise).

Last edited:

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
We would probably have more stages and music. Stuff that they gave the 3DS so that it would at least have something exclusive. Although I don't think Ice Climbers would have come back, simply due to 8-player smash being a thing. Besides that, maybe the roster would have been bigger because they could have put more focus into one game instead of trying to get the characters to work in both. Besides that, I can't imagine much else.

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
I honestly don't imagine the game would be much different. Let's be realistic, without the 3DS version, the Wii U game's budget would have taken a huge hit. The dev team would not have been as large. As such, we would not get all the features of the 3DS game and the Wii U game combined. We certainly wouldn't be getting giant Adventure modes on top of all of that. They wouldn't have the resources to ever even design many of those modes.

Same goes with characters; if there was no 3DS version, we probably would have less characters, not more. The 3DS' limitations were the reason transformations were removed, so Sheik and ZSS likely would not have been separated, and I imagine we would have gotten Pokemon Trainer back instead of just Charizard. Balancing Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard would be more demanding than a single character, so there might have even been less new characters because of them (or more cuts!). Ice Climbers were working at one point on Wii U, but 8-player Smash supposedly barely works on Wii U currently (as evidenced by how much of the environments they need to cut to get some stages running), so I doubt the IC would be compatible with 8P Smash. The game would need to essentially run 16P Smash. So the team might very well have had to choose between IC and 8P.

All that said, the stages may very well have been different. While I'm not convinced we would have more new stages (smaller budget = less time to design new stages), we might very well have gotten some different old stages. The fan-favorite returning stages split between versions, which would not have been necessary had there been only one game. So some of 3DS's popular returning stages like Yoshi's Island, Brinstar, or Corneria might have made the leap, replacing some of the less-popular Wii U returning stages (like Yoshi's Island Melee, Norfair, and Lylat Cruise).
I think a lot more people would be happier with ICs than 8 player Smash.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I think a lot more people would be happier with ICs than 8 player Smash.
I disagree, though that's just my opinion. Regardless of that, 8P Smahs was a selling point for SSB Wii U. It is one of the biggest answers to the question "What does this game have that Brawl does not?" It is even featured on the box of the game. No one is going to buy (or not buy) SSB because of IC, despite how much some players like them, but some people might be swayed by a large new mode that makes the game playable with large groups of people. Despite whether fans would actually enjoy 8P more than IC, I believe the dev team would pick 8P Smash over IC any day of the week. Characters have been cut with much less reason before (coughMewtwocough). Heck, not being compatible with 8P Smash is arguably a better reason to cut them than the one we were actually given, which was just "roster parity".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom