• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What we LIKE about Brawl.

Ace55

Smash Lord
So everybody knows what we don't lke about Brawl: less stun time, slower (or floatier), promotes defensive play and projectile spamming and has little really usefull advanced technices. But you almost never here about the things that ARE actually better in Brawl then in Melee. Or are at least a worthwhile addition to the game. I mean things like footstool jumping, beeing able to move after your airdodge, getting hit if someone flies into you and such.
Let me just make clear (before I get flamed) that I've got plenty of issues with Brawl myself. Compared to Melee it feels like they're fighting on the moon, some characters have insanely overpowered moves (snake's Ftilt, Metaknight's neutral B and down smash, don't even get me started on Olimar).
One of my friends used to be a Mario main in Melee, but basically his play was totally revolving about throwing fireballs and popping out a Fsmash when you get to close. He didn't do very well (getting 4 stocked by Ganon way to often) so I talked him into using Marth (if you're just going to use Fsmash you better use his). He sucked less, but he still sucked.
When I just had Brawl I began using Wario and he still used Marth (his forward B\new neutral B works great for him) and suddenly things are different and he begins taking matches of me. I can no longer overwhelm him by landing a hit and comboing him of the screen. He can hit me back after (almost) every blow. If you're used to beating somebody in every possible game you can imagine, it's kind of shocking when they start defeating you at you're own (favorite) game (2 stock, no items).
So I was disappointed in Brawl because I felt that it made it easier for just about anyone to win, just by spamming moves. But I wasn't going to let the game that I had been waiting for for god knows how long go. I wasn't gonna go back to Melee, that was a closed chapter. Even though it was not what I imagined/hoped for I just had to keep playing.
And now that I've had the game for a while, things are returning to normal. He only beats me if I SD or take an akward character (Sonic comes to mind). But the way I do it is totally different. I actually have to outthink him every step of the way, instead of just finding an opening. You can still be the better player, it's just different from before because technical skill isn't really going to make the difference. And in my opinion, it's more satisfying than simply overwhelming you're opponent.
The point I'm trying to make is that, in retrospect, making Smash a lot less combo orientated is something I LIKE about brawl. It's hard, it's fresh, it's different and I like it.
To create even more controversy: I think the same goes for removing L-Canceling. I never understood why they put it in there, if you use a slow character and land before your aerial ends, you should have lag. Why should you be able to cut it down to halve (melee) or totally remove it (ssb)? In retrospect, removing L-canceling: something I LIKE about Brawl.
About the loss of gravity: it still feels strange. Unless you're character has wings (or is Jigglypuff) he or she should fall, not float to the ground. I'm not gonna try to give a positive swing to this, it's not really an improvement.

But really guy's, it's not all bad. Brawl is the game for the future and will (have to) last a very long time. It's just different, yet familiar.

Feel free to respond/discuss/whatever.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The music. I really love some of the new songs ("Fyiiiiiia Eeeeembreeeem", "We are my looooove", "I am the Marth, e.g. n00b", among others).

And the fact that Zelda can now actually use the majority of her moves as opposed to in Melee.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Adventure mode is much better even if it's not perfect.

Ace55

Smash Lord
hmmm, almost forgot about the music (not really gameplay related) but you're right. Best soundtrack ever!!! Easily the best improvement over Melee.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
more characters. accurate refferences graphically and audible to everything its trying to represent

basically anything that isn't the core combat system. I even like the accessibility of the controls better than melee, just not the actual combat system and all it encompasses.

serious though. F Zero Port Town looks just like its GX counterpart. I keep expecting to run a Marth or Snake over while playing GX now.

Corigames

Smash Hero
It looks pretty. Nice soundtrack. Some of the items are cool. I like the stage builder. Replays are sometimes helpful. Actual random character select. Coin launcher is fun.

That's all.

Bud

Smash Journeyman
Yuna, im proud of you..... I agree with you man, people hate the infinite airdodge, i think its good, the game is more of a constant exchange of attacks as apposed to who can start their combo first. Though I LOVE both, melee has parts that are better than brawl, and brawl has parts that are better than melee. And the awsome thing is we have only been playing the game a few months. Who knows whats in store for the future, though it could get worse, but i highly doubt it. About campy strategies, if you can't beat it by now then you just haven't been experementing with new strats. I always key their back, or attack their back in any way. Nothing they can really do.

Ace55

Smash Lord
The music. I really love some of the new songs ("Fyiiiiiia Eeeeembreeeem", "We are my looooove", "I am the Marth, e.g. n00b", among others).

And the fact that Zelda can now actually use the majority of her moves as opposed to in Melee.
@Bud

That's all he said in this thread so I'm going to assume you meant me.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I like that you can grab the edge backwards. That should have been in Melee.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I like. . .

How it got some new & important characters into the series (Sonic could be a fixture now; Dedede & Wolf, as villains, are in)
Music (OMFG epic Mt. Dedede theme)
Entrances
Buffs for characters who SUCKED in Melee (I'm indifferent to whether the game is balanced, ultimately; I just thought MAN Ness/Zelda were crap, was Dev even trying?)
Multiple air dodge
No wave dashing (nonsense physics)
Redesigns of characters, particularly clones
Controller configuration

I also happen to appreciate little things, like how Ness doesn't DJC anymore (I think it allows him to do more, and look cooler doing it :D), and the redesign of Marth's Dancing Blade and Shield Breaker, to name a few.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and auto-ledge grab, from both directions, and the cool 'whoosh' noise for the Psychokinetic kids.

Iwan

Smash Ace

QFT

lol...on topic, mind games are more prevalent now i suppose, but there was no need to take away the technical aspect. The game was casual enough as it was in melee if you didn't know what you were doing.

I'm not saying this game isn't competitive. Is brawl competitive still?
Yes.
Did we kinda get shafted with it though?

yea...yea we did.

But i think spiking is more rewarding now than it was in melee. Don't know why...maybe the fancy new "smoke trail" animation? lol...

Andromeda

Smash Lord
The music.
More characters.
More stages. (even if most of them are quite stupid)
Online compability. (even if it suck, it's an improvement since Melee.)
Nice graphics, for a Wii-game.
It's still smash.

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
Being able to turn off tap-to-jump is just AWESOME! Cant exagerate how much i hate it in Melee.
That and the very nice additions to the rooster, Olimar and Diddy in particular.

Ørion

Smash Ace
I like how in brawl, it takes more on-the-spot thinking. Part of melee was memorizing combos, and memorizing what to do if they DI in which direction.

people say taking out wavedashing etc. makes it so anyone can play, I disagree. It just shifts the focus from techniques to mindgames, quick thinking, etc.

Also, graphics, music, that it has online, adventure, more challenges, stickers, CDs.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
I can't really say why, but brawl is just more fun. and thats what i look for in games. how fun they are.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
The music is amazing. I've always love Nintendo music and they did a great job of creating a wide selection with some of the oldies and some good remixes.

paSTAR

Smash Cadet
Your story of you 4 stocking your friend constantly with Ganon vs Mario is very, VERY, familiar to me. I 4 stocked my friend all the time in Melee with Link against his Captain Falcon. He was not good in Melee.

And then in Brawl, 70% of the time I 2 stock him. 25% 3 stock, and 5% 4 stock. He plays ROB now.

On another note, L-canceling was the easiest, advanced tactic I used in Melee. I was very upset when they took it out. Slow characters are slow, where in Melee they would be what I would classify "middle speed".

But the story of your friend and yourself in your Melee vs Brawl end-matches. Very familiar.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i turn on brawl for the music.

then on the tv next over i got melee going xD

Corigames

Smash Hero
I like how in brawl, it takes more on-the-spot thinking. Part of melee was memorizing combos, and memorizing what to do if they DI in which direction.

people say taking out wavedashing etc. makes it so anyone can play, I disagree. It just shifts the focus from techniques to mindgames, quick thinking, etc.

Also, graphics, music, that it has online, adventure, more challenges, stickers, CDs.
You are lucky this isn't ANY other thread in the world.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I LOVE the fact that in Brawl, multi-hit attacks (including AAA combos) are actually useful. I also love the increased hitlag on all the moves, as well as the feel of it in general.

I can't go back to Melee after playing Brawl because of this, even if I acknowledge that Melee was a more competitive game.

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
This game has the greatest soundtrack of all time.

Besides that:

Best fighter roster ever (even though we think it could've been better, coem on, no roster is touching this)
Amazing stages (In Melee I liked like 3 stages, in this game, I have like 18 favorite stages)
Multiple air dodges
Amazing trophies

etc. etc.

SHined BLind

Smash Apprentice
WIND WAKER LINK!1 Too bad I can't handle him. To me, Power>Speed. Oh, and Wolf!!
Replays
3 taunts
new levels (Spear Pillar) and re-designed levels (Battle Field)
new approach to mindgames
turn off tap-jump and configure custom control settings
5-letter names
more characters
fott-stool jumping
B-Reversal
the list goes...

Aran

Smash Apprentice
I love the floatier physics, actually. With the addition of that and moving after airdodging, it makes aerial spacing and combat much more interesting.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
The soundtrack is pretty awesome.
While a lot of people (including me) think the roster was missing some key characters, you gotta admit 35 is a good amount of characters compared to some other games.
Graphics really stunned me the first time I saw them. I've gotten used to it now.

Truce

Smash Cadet
Amen brutha. I've totally been thinking about how Brawl is more outsmarting than technical skill now, and I find it way more satisfying. I can't not try and simply win anymore, it's mindgames and trickery FTW now.

Top Bottom