• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was your inspiration to play Jigglypuff?

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff is a very unique character. She arguably has the best aerial game, edgeguarding ability, and a chance to kill other characters at extremely low percents with rest. However, she also has a fair amount of drawbacks. Subpar ground game, general slowness, and her vulnerability to being killed off the top of the screen prevent her from being a truly dominant character. I was wondering what the different reasons people played puff were. I chose her because I saw King's combo video about a year ago and was truly inspired. I had never seen anyone utilize Jigglypuff's abilities like that, and the idea of rest as a high risk/high reward move really appealed to me. If you want, post here with what got you playing Jigglypuff, so we can liven up this section of the character boards. Its kinda depressing that the only recent posts in this forum have been in MaNg0's Stuff about Puff and Best/Worst matchups, so I'm hoping to get the ball rolling with a new thread:)

King5280

Smash Journeyman
not a truly dominant character? She's third on the tier list and has won nationals on more than one occasion. Mango ***** everyone with her when he played her and hungrybox continues to beat almost all of the top players.

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
not a truly dominant character? She's third on the tier list and has won nationals on more than one occasion. Mango ***** everyone with her when he played her and hungrybox continues to beat almost all of the top players.
What I'm saying is not a lot of people play her. Practically everyone these days plays a space animal, c. falcon, marth, or peach, while Hungrybox and Darc are the only people left who consistently main Puff and place well in tournaments. I was pointing out that if she was a really dominant character, more people would play as her.

Tekk

Smash Lord
I actually don't know at all, I play her just because it feels right LOL
Also because she's not really represented in Europe.

Massive

Smash Champion
Jigglypuff was the character people usually forbid me to play during high school.

When I finally ran into people actually capable of beating me I picked him back up and continued my "broken, cheap, ***-holeish" playstyle.

Also, since Jiggs is one of the least technically involved characters it was a easier for me to play at a respectable level; I am much better suited to play based on strategy than technical prowess/speed.

King5280

Smash Journeyman
it has nothing to do with her ability to dominate as opposed to the fact she isn't as flashy as other characters and is much more defensive in nature. Which, as a result, makes less people want to play jiggs. Outside of Armada puffs place better than peach and also in terms of the biggest major tournaments over the past three years or so she's done better than pretty much anyone outside spacies.
But more in line with the topic I picked her up just recently, switching from peach, cause she just felt more natural and I had more fun playing her. Resting people makes me lol.

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
Most satisfying thing ever IMO is getting a rest with no combo, basically no uptilt, no upthrow, falling upair, etc. Just resting them out of whatever combo they were doing and then they freak out haha. And yeah I didn't mean to start a debate about whether puff was dominant or not, sorry if I did lol.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
I picked her up after King's DBR video in 05 or 06. I feel that she's kinda trollish cause she's this cute little singing puff ball yet can **** you up with a move that comes out in one frame.

I still remember being shocked that strategies recommended using "Jigglypuff" to beat Event Match 51. That is when I discovered that hitting downB did more than make her fall asleep. I used to think her downB was just a waste move like Magikarp's 'splash' in the orig pokemon.

Also before me and my friends were decent I used to lose to his falco all the time with my marth. Then i picked up jiggz and basically everytime I got a grab -> upthrow rest cause he never tried to DI.

Not to mention it is so satisfying getting a read to rest. That same friend now mains peach, and he often jumps into peach's "safe zone" float like Armada. But if I can predict it, I just full hop as he jumps to that position and rest him when he gets there.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I just picked her up. Didn't know she was good. It was a good choice. I just happened to like her character, a flying pink thing that can kick. I approve.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Jigglypuff is a very unique character. She arguably has the best aerial game, edgeguarding ability, and a chance to kill other characters at extremely low percents with rest. However, she also has a fair amount of drawbacks. Subpar ground game, general slowness, and her vulnerability to being killed off the top of the screen prevent her from being a truly dominant character. I was wondering what the different reasons people played puff were. I chose her because I saw King's combo video about a year ago and was truly inspired. I had never seen anyone utilize Jigglypuff's abilities like that, and the idea of rest as a high risk/high reward move really appealed to me. If you want, post here with what got you playing Jigglypuff, so we can liven up this section of the character boards. Its kinda depressing that the only recent posts in this forum have been in MaNg0's Stuff about Puff and Best/Worst matchups, so I'm hoping to get the ball rolling with a new thread:)

Sheik is better at gimping spacies tho

Lzr mains puff because he plays brawl *trollface*

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I still suck at not letting Sheik get to the ledge or onstage. It makes it worse how I cannot rest Sheik out of it even though I can do most other forms of resting :(

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
Anyone got advice on gimping sheik? Apart from edgehop--->rest, I can never seem to reliably capitalize on knocking her offstage.

CowboyFromHell

Smash Apprentice
My friends always underestimated Jigglypuff, and the first time I had played any of them with her they would laugh and just assume they automatically win. Then I would destroy them and they'd be shocked. That was always a good feeling

But besides that, I love Jigglypuff's air game and she's so destructive!

Bing

Smash Master
Umm, When I did main Jiggs, It was because I was new to Melee, and I was told Jiggs was terrible, and I wanted to be a low-tier main. Also everyone I played with saw Jiggs and was like "Lol imma **** you" then after I ***** them they'd be like... WTF

BlueStar03

Smash Cadet
I like unassuming characters and I find it amusing that such a small seemingly weak character is so high on the tier list. Also rest.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
I used to main Link. Then I took a knee to the arrow and mained Falcon. Then Wobbles told me that Mango's Falcon was the best because of his Puff experience, so I mained Puff. Then life happened and I had no time for tech skill practice, so I still main Puff.

TheSleepyLion

Smash Rookie
I used to main falco and my roommate had crazy experience with the matchup so I could never win; Puff was a character he had zero experience with and she's super cute.

Sagacious

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4382-2155-9551
I used Kirby in every Smash growing up and then I used Kirby in Melee once getting into the competitive atmosphere recently only to find out how terrible he is.. "Well, Puff is a pink ball that also has a good air game". After playing Puff I'm just obsessed, now I enjoy her in all three games (even though I rarely play Brawl). The addition of rest just gets me interested in all the possibilities. I hope for random and comboed rests to be my main priority in terms of advancing Jigglypuff to high level play.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
When I started playing Melee, I wanted to pick up Doc, because I had seen old footage of Captain Jack play him and Shroomed and OTG and Dogysamich but I just sucked with him because I couldn't recover to save my life. Then I found Puff and her glorious quintuple jump AND her spot dodge. Pretty much a dream come true and the main reason I play floaty characters.

Doq

Smash Lord
I play Puff because all my other mains suck ass. And bair. And [krrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg] is always satisfying, whether it be from Puff, Luigi, or Ness. And hungrybox. And Puff is much better than Kirby (in fact, I accidentally called her Kirby once -- so I decided to call her Kirby all the time).

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
I have a dream, that one day, myself and my Jigglypuff action figurine will rule over all other characters, being known simply as the one puff to rule them all.

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
Learning that the character that everyone I knew as a child thought was the worst character was actually one of the best was hilarious to me. And Blue Bow Puff if adorable.

WusijiDR

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wusiji
I got into puff for a really stupid reason.

I just was playing N64 with my friends and one of the guys was talking non-stop crap about Jiggles. He said how he sucked and nobody could ever win with him. So I took it upon myself to wreck him. In my thirst for vengeance, I actually really came to like Jigglypuff to the point where I play him in every Smash game except for PM where hes my secondary. Jiggly also really works well with the fact that I am really bad at wavedashing and I like how you can be good with Jiggles by knowing when to attack.

squible2

Smash Cadet
I play puff for the aerial mobility. I love flying around with 6 jumps and air control.

Last edited:

AfricanManBeast

Smash Cadet
I was influenced that jiggles was bad until I saw Hungrybox play with him/her competitively
Jigglypuff is not bad, it has great ariels for setting up wall of pain, is too floaty for combos, has great recovery options, and that dam rest...

Last edited:

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
My friend started maining Sheik so I decided to find a character to check his Sheik so I wasn't comfortable with Falco or Marth so I decided to try 'Puff for ****s and giggles.

I won a match against him with Jiggz so I decided to continue and get familiar with her playstyle. Did some friendly FFAs with my friends and landed a double Rest on the last stock for a Double KO.

I honestly never knew how much fun Jiggz is, shame she got nerfed in Brawl and will probably be the same in SSB4 but there's always Melee!

Top Bottom