• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What uses does Fox's shine have in this game?

YGK

Smash Cadet
The slight lift you get when you use a shine after receiving knock back is an amazing vertical spacing tool in some matchups. I can't remember the last time a Captain Falcon Uair landed on my fox.

YGK

Smash Cadet
Its incredibly good as momentum cancel
That reminds me, you can cancel a ledge jump with shine, so you transition directly from hanging off the ledge to standing on the stage with the reflector up. The shine cannot be buffered, so the timing can be a bit tricky, but in my experience, even when you mess the timing up a little you are low enough to reflect any large projectiles. I kill Lucarios with this very often.

BradLeeTee

Smash Cadet
Shine in a serious 1v1 match is quite useless offensively aside from a quick out of shield option and knocking ur opponent off stage. Thought I'd share one very useless discovery I made with it, if u hit Peach with ur shine while her toad is up the fumes will come out and the shine will reflect them. So the shine has just reflected a projectile and ur right beside Peach meaning u can do a shine jump cancelled up smash. The reason I say useless is because u have to predict the counter and ur usually better off with a different punish, also its impossible to kill by using this because after 50%~ the fumes send Peach to far away to connect an up smash, but it sure does look awesome. Also shine becomes so much better when items are on. Besides reflecting everything and making the pokeballs ur own, u can blow up a blast box with ur shine and safely stand inside while everyone around u blows up. And if u wanna show off u can waveshine ur opponent across the stage if u happen to pick up a timer.

Last edited:

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
Long story short, reflector's real usage is just lifting you up when you spam it in helpless animation in the air like everyone else said to get out of combos. For some reason, reflecting stuff on ground is so effing weird for me that when I read a projectile I short hop reflector, I don't know why it's just so weird. Has anyone had this problem using Fox's reflector on ground to reflect something?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Long story short, reflector's real usage is just lifting you up when you spam it in helpless animation in the air like everyone else said to get out of combos. For some reason, reflecting stuff on ground is so effing weird for me that when I read a projectile I short hop reflector, I don't know why it's just so weird. Has anyone had this problem using Fox's reflector on ground to reflect something?
You don't spam it. You should only be using it once or twice. You can't stall in this game like in Brawl, that'll get you KO'd.

Short-hop -> Shine is useful when you're running at an opponent that's going to shoot their charged projectile at you. Otherwishe, just do standing shine.

The only issue I have with standing reflector is that sometimes Fox will spot-dodge after reflecting something if you're still holding down. Is this a bug? I'm not pressing shield at all.

D

Deleted member

Reflecting...

No, but seriously, in combat, jumping in front of a Rosaluma N-Special or an Olimar smash attack. They can't do a thing but get hit.
[cont., maybe]

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Also of note: if you hit Diddy while he is charging his UpB with the hitbox on the shine, it knocks the barrels off and the shine protects you from the barrels after they come off.

This is nice when you can do it because the barrels are annoying offstage if you opt for Nair instead.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
The only sense of gimping you can do with shine is if you go really deep off stage and shine them right out of their double jump.

Top Bottom