• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What uses does Fox's shine have in this game?

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
So shines have been somewhat nerfed since Melee and I'm wondering what uses it has beyond a quick keep-away or stalling in the air for a bit or it's intended use being reflecting.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Air stalling and reflecting are my primary uses. At least whenever you reflect you have less ending Lag I believe, though don't quote me on that.

NoahDaniel

Smash Cadet
The normal reflector is pretty much only for stalling and reflecting, but the custom 2 Big Reflector has a windbox. The windbox is a lot larger than most people expect, so you can get some funny gimps with it. In exchange you have a lower damage multiplier for reflected projectiles (1.2 instead of 1.5 I think). I think it doesn't lower the momentum for stalling as much as the normal reflector, but you only really notice it when you keep spamming it in the air, which is a bad idea anyway.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Air stalling and reflecting are my primary uses. At least whenever you reflect you have less ending Lag I believe, though don't quote me on that.
You do have less ending lag after reflecting but I tend to use it for approach when my opponents thinks I'm gonna up smash him and I'm wondering if theres any sort of uses for it in combos since shinespikes have been removed.

ActionShot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Actionshot35
I'd love to find out if shine has any practical use besides stalling or actually reflecting stuff. It seems that anytime you could go for a shine offensively, it would just be safer/more rewarding to use a jab or nair.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
I'd love to find out if shine has any practical use besides stalling or actually reflecting stuff. It seems that anytime you could go for a shine offensively, it would just be safer/more rewarding to use a jab or nair.
Yeah, especially because it does 2-3%, It doesn't have good knockback for follow ups and there's almost no hitstun so the opponent could get a free dash attack because of the endlag you have to suffer from.

Mcubed

Smash Rookie
The shine no longer spikes and actually launches them up

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I don't play Fox much, but I was playing a bit of him in For Glory teams and managed to shine spike Robin dead by reflecting Elwind. Now, I've reflected Elwind before from below Robin and had it knock Robin upward, but this time I was right inside his hurtbox just going for a shine gimp for fun, but instead I got there right as Elwind started and it spiked Robin straight down. He was at like 50% or so, don't remember exactly, and died without opportunity to recover, or at least never showed sign that he could act at all. Wish I could've saved it to get a better idea as to how, but my replays are filled up. I'm sure this is something the regular Fox players are aware of though. It was pretty satifying. Something to try again against Robin if I see another. Probably pretty risky though.

Last edited:

NoahDaniel

Smash Cadet
I don't play Fox much, but I was playing a bit of him in For Glory teams and managed to shine spike Robin dead by reflecting Elwind. Now, I've reflected Elwind before from below Robin and had it knock Robin upward, but this time I was right inside his hurtbox just going for a shine gimp for fun, but instead I got there right as Elwind started and it spiked Robin straight down. He was at like 50% or so, don't remember exactly, and died without opportunity to recover, or at least never showed sign that he could act at all. Wish I could've saved it to get a better idea as to how, but my replays are filled up. I'm sure this is something the regular Fox players are aware of though. It was pretty satifying. Something to try again against Robin if I see another. Probably pretty risky though.
Elwind has a spike hitbox right at the beginning of the move. I already spiked tons of Robin on for Glory with Dr. Mario's sheet. Most for Glory Robins have probably no idea that Elwind spikes.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Reflector (DownB 1):
  • Reflect most projectiles safely (watch out vs ZSS flip jump though)
  • Avoid getting juggled in the air
Big Reflector (DownB 2):
  • Windbox gives gimping potential to push away from the stage (particularly linear recoveries, like Mario's Gust cape)
  • Does Big Reflector stall Fox's air movement? Someone answer this, I forget atm
  • Reflecting stuff works with it as well
Amplifying Reflector (DownB 3)
  • Reflect stuff harder... that's it.
Honestly, don't use downB 3. The reward isn't worth it, considering the startup and what you lose in escaping juggles.

DownB 2 is the best one. Lacks a hitbox, but can let you get some gimps.

The default Shine just doesn't have the spike anymore, so it's unfortunately limited in that sense. That said, it's not completely useless for what it's there for.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Reflector (DownB 1):
  • Reflect most projectiles safely (watch out vs ZSS flip jump though)
  • Avoid getting juggled in the air
Big Reflector (DownB 2):
  • Windbox gives gimping potential to push away from the stage (particularly linear recoveries, like Mario's Gust cape)
  • Does Big Reflector stall Fox's air movement? Someone answer this, I forget atm
  • Reflecting stuff works with it as well
Amplifying Reflector (DownB 3)
  • Reflect stuff harder... that's it.
Honestly, don't use downB 3. The reward isn't worth it, considering the startup and what you lose in escaping juggles.

DownB 2 is the best one. Lacks a hitbox, but can let you get some gimps.

The default Shine just doesn't have the spike anymore, so it's unfortunately limited in that sense. That said, it's not completely useless for what it's there for.
Thank you, I'll be sure to use big reflector in any tourneys where customs are legal, . . . if I manage to get it.

This roller plays with my emotions.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
I had just been using it for stalls and reflector myself - fair solid with the timing on the reflector part. Should really look at getting and practicing with shine 2 though, I am so darn lazy about grinding stuff, world of warcraft drilled my desire to go get anything out of me a long time ago :(

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Elwind has a spike hitbox right at the beginning of the move. I already spiked tons of Robin on for Glory with Dr. Mario's sheet. Most for Glory Robins have probably no idea that Elwind spikes.
I assume every Robin I've played is aware that Elwind spikes at a distance, as they should be. Most have shown they're familiar enough with this property that they try and utilize it. And if you reflect Robin's Elwind from a ways below them, you send it back up towards them and they get knocked upward. I wasn't aware, however, that there was a reflectable "projectile" at the very start of the move that could still spike. Logically, you'd think that even right next to the Robin, reflecting Elwind would do the opposite to Robin as what it would've done to you. Maybe had I not reflected that Elwind there, I'd have been popped up though. I doubt it. Still not clear on the exact mechanics. It's confusing. It's like jumping into the front of a Mega Man charging his fsmash and using shine just as he released his charge... but instead of Megaman flying in the opposite direction of where he was aiming, he instead flew how you would've flown if you'd been hit. Makes some sense when you think about the odd directions people fly when you smash with someone standing in your hurtbox, but I just didn't think a projectile would behave that way when reflected at close range.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
it makes perfect sense if you look at it like this.

Elwind has a hitbox that spikes, a spike will send you directly downward NO MATTER WHAT
If you reflect that hitbox back at robin, and it hits robin, it hits robin with a spike hitbox, which will send robin down NO MATTER WHAT

if you try to think about it in terms of the megaman example you gave you are misinterpreting the mechanics of the game and are just going to confuse yourself.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Plumber here. Got a nice video of me Robin-spiking a Robin

M@v

Subarashii!
As an fyi shine actually does NOT have set knockback in smash 4....its just that the knockback is so abysmally small you don't notice the difference. Go into training mode and crank it up to 999% damage and see what i mean...you still don't kill them at that percent, but it sends them flying.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
As an fyi shine actually does NOT have set knockback in smash 4....its just that the knockback is so abysmally small you don't notice the difference. Go into training mode and crank it up to 999% damage and see what i mean...you still don't kill them at that percent, but it sends them flying.
Sakurai must have spent the past 10 years working out a formula calculating knockback on it for his final revenge against the waveshine

dkuo

Smash Lord
disclaimer: i played this game for maybe 1 hour so far and not with competitive players

throwing shine out is ok for getting people off of you when theyre all up in yo grill. shine oos is ok
idk if it resets properly or if they have the advantage after it hits so this suggestion could be horrible

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
If you take shine-spiking out of Smash 64's shine then it's basically the same as that. Use it to reflect stuff, and you can jump out of it immediately after a reflection. Situational use and good in certain matchups that would otherwise give Fox trouble.

IguanaBeWithYou

Smash Rookie
NNID
IskanderTheGreat
I usually use shine out of a fox-trot to engage and they're usually in range for a free fSmash if they don't tech

Last edited:

dkuo

Smash Lord
^ Nair OoS works for that too but better
i was going to say shine has less startup so frame-wise it would be more reliable at the very least
nair would still have more disjoint and less cooldown so then theyd both be used in certain situations

...but the guide says its first hitbox is frame 6 so yeah nvm
rip shine oos

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
If someone gets too close to you, a shine has the least startup lag. It doesn't knock them far away, but it's far enough that they can't hit you. I've only ever used it as an anti-air finisher and punishing a roll that's too close. That said, my Fox game is awful and I may not be a good person to take advice from.

Illuminati13

Smash Rookie
NNID
JulesF13
This move could've had combo potential if the ending lag wasn't so long. Other than stalling there is yet to be a use. I might test out it more because there has to be another use that has gone undiscovered

jr22

Smash Apprentice
ignore this. this was a mistake.

Last edited:

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
I just found out you could shine while executing a footstool, man that could combo into many things if there wasn't so much ENDLAG.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If you shine someone at a higher-ish percent when they are near the edge, it will slide them off.

I once gimped a little mac with shines, by sliding him off, then using shine again, offstage, and he couldnt get back up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom