• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to do against Lucas...

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I know Wario has this match in the bag matchup-wise, but I still can't seem to ever win against this child! Whether it's getting caught off-guard by PK Fire, Fsmash, Dsmash, Usmash, or just simply being in the wrong position, I can't get any kills off on this kid until high percentages, and by then I've already lost a few stock!

Any advice on how I should approach this matchup?

Popertop

Smash Champion
If you don't use the release grab, then Lucas has the advantage on the stage.
Wario has it off stage with gimps.

Ho-kay. Learn to perfect shield PK fire as you approach from the ground. That will make things easier as well as discouraging them from using it. Watch out for his jab series out of shield, it's really fast and will catch you off guard. Most lucas's I've played will use it after spot dodging, a good way to punish this is by SH biting them during the spot dodge animation. If you approach from the air look out for his Fair/Nair. Nair more so, it has annoying priority. If they nair your shield you have to roll away. It shield pokes and hits you if you try and do anything during it. His Fair is less of an issue but he can use it to out space you. Don't approach him from below if he's in the air, his Dair beats the clap. Believe me, I've tried to beat it, it doesn't work. Watch out for Dair > tilt lock > Fsmash. It's really deadly and there's no way out if you miss the tech on the third hit of his Dair. You have to tech right after the third hit. A good way to get a Lucas player is to play around above his head to bait a Usmash. If he does anything else from below you, you can probably beat it. If he takes the bait you have time to move out of the way, get to the ground and do whatever you want. If they are at high percentages or near the edge an Fsmash (half charged if you can manage it) works wonders. If it's at mid percentages near the edge an ftilt is good. Sets up a gimp really nice. IF it's mid/low percents, and he's in the middle of the stage, bite him and follow up with boost smash.

A note about Bite > Boost Smash: They can escape it if they DI right. Fastfallers will always get hit by it, but normals and floaties can DI up from the bite and get away. I'm pretty sure they are still in range for an aerial, so if you see them DI up after the bite, clap them. It'll scare them into DI'ing away and right into your Boost smash after the next bite. A little trap, but good enough for building damage for the gimp/kill.

Gimping Lucas: I haven't practiced this enough (I don't even have a Wii lol) but I think you can gimp him with a Fair off the ledge. If not, when you see him start his up B, jump off and hit him with a Fair (It's disjointed so it should go through his little electricity. Fair > Nair kills very nice off stage, especially if the Nair is fresh. :)
If the Fair doesn't go through, you can still hit him with a Bair. If that is fresh it should kill to. You shouldn't have much trouble killing a Lucas anyway.

Another trick I like to use: If you grab them, you can grab release to an Fsmash every time, but if you don't like doing that or if you forget, you can Fthrow them, and there are a few follow ups to that. At mid/low percents you can follow up with aerial pressure right after, but my favorite little trap comes at higher percents. After the Fthrow, they should be in the corner at the higher part of the screen/off the screen. What you can do is jump > bike Jump to get to them. This is where the guessing game comes in. If this is the first time you do this, what I notice most people do is use their second jump. You can just Double Jump Uair them if that happens. Next time they will most likely air dodge. If they do that you can anticipate it and hit them with a fart after their air dodge ends. After that they will try and beat it or just try to avoid you altogether. If they try and beat it with something, you can just DI right next to the attack and hit them when it's over. If they try to avoid you altogether, there's only two places they can go. Over you, or below you. If they try and go over you, you can chase them and still get them with this trap. If they try and go away/below, that's where the most delicious part is. When they start to DI, you can nail them with a Fair > Nair, or just a Fair if it's fresh. They will be DI'ing to get away from you and when you hit them they will basically kill themselves.

If you have any other questions about the matchup, or if anything is unclear, just say so.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Hmm...thanks for telling me that the grab release works on Lucas, I didn't know that! Also, is there ever a chance that he can jump out of the grab, like other characters can when escaping from a grab? If so, how common is it, and how can I prevent them from doing that? Other than that, I think everything else in your post is clear, and I greatly appreciate it =)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Grab release to Fsmash on Lucas doesn't work well if they know to DI away from Wario. He goes too far back for Fsmash to hit, but you can bait him into doing a spot dodge/using shield and then punishing that.

4Serial

Smash Lord
Just grab the Lucas
like, a LOT

be creative with the grabs and throws and look for any patterns in there reactions and you can probably punish them.

fullhopped d-airs to get through pk fire spam
pk fire knocks you off your bike so don't try that

any aerial to knock lucas farther from the stage when edgeguarding him, it doesn't really matter much to me <_<
read his airdodges with u-air or fart in the air. u-air is good.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Grab release to Fsmash on Lucas doesn't work well if they know to DI away from Wario. He goes too far back for Fsmash to hit, but you can bait him into doing a spot dodge/using shield and then punishing that.
I guess you could just Ftilt after and then Fsmash when they try and spot dodge it.

Top Bottom