• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should we expect at the August Nintendo Direct?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Nintendo Directs and/or Digital Events have usually happened on a bi-monthly basis. The last Direct/Digital Event was last month during E3, so we're probably due for one next month.

Edit: :4greninja:'d.
Except your post is more accurate. The fact that they have USUALLY happened on a bi-monthly basis is very worthy of noting.

They had that pattern going for some time, but then for a time they had a Direct each month, and then there was a while where there was nothing.

I just can't put my faith in any such patterns anymore. I'd like to think that Nintendo would certainly put out another Direct before SSB4 releases on the 3DS, but they don't always work that way. lol

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Ridley. Ridley riddeli ridd, rid ridly, ridley and diddely-didly.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
It wouldn't be only a newcomer if it was a trailer, it would have at least one veteran, maybe another. I think the trailer will contain more than previous trailers since it's closer to release. Each trailer has built on the previous ones as far as hype. Not going to slow down for release.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I would expect these things:

• Sakurai Trolling.
  • Newcomer and Veteran revealed for SSB4.
  • More details about Star Fox Wii U.
  • More details about Legend of Zelda Wii U.
  • More details about possible Metroid titles in the future.
  • New features added to the Wii U version of the game.
  • Possibly a game that has yet to be revealed.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Since everyone's throwing their bets out, I'll share mine:

• "We, at Neentendo, would LIKE, to reveal more details on UP-coming Neentendo games, DI-wectly to you."
  • A Sakurai moment.
  • Details on upcoming Nintendo games in the last quarter of 2014 (Bayonetta 2, Sonic Boom, Pokemon ORAS, etc.)
  • Advertising downloadable games on eShop.
  • More details on games to release in future, (Zelda Wii U, Star Fox Wii U, Xenoblade Chronicles X)
  • A Nintendo Treehouse segment.
  • Reveal one or two new games previously unannounced.
  • At some point, either we get just a Smash Bros. trailer, or Iwata will swap to Sakurai as he talks about Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS.
  • A final newcomer and/or veteran trailer.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I think that the coming direct will be more focused on other titles, with maybe a newcomer announcement for Smash. We have to remember that they have other games to market, and Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 both come out before Smash Bros. does.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
We can expect more information on Hyrule Warriors. http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/08-04-2014/

Ganondorf confirmation? Tingle chimes in? Beedle THANKS YOU!? Ghirahim tongues in..? Red Lion sails in?
Oh, interesting. When they specifically themed the "Super Smash Bros." direct, it was all Smash Bros. Nothing else. I'd imagine that would be the case here, as well.

With this confirmation, I'm certain Smash won't even be mentioned. Besides, in Japan Hyrule Warriors releases in mid-August, so it makes sense that it would get the limelight and Smash news would wait until September.

EDIT: Gah! I keep assuming these threads are more active than they actually are and double posting. Sorry.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'm hoping for a couple characters (at least one newcomer and at least one vet), a Wii U release date, and Sakurai level trolling.
Something like "Ridley? Joins as a stage hazard!" and then Super Metroid ridley punches Roidley off the screen?

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
Oh, interesting. When they specifically themed the "Super Smash Bros." direct, it was all Smash Bros. Nothing else. I'd imagine that would be the case here, as well.

With this confirmation, I'm certain Smash won't even be mentioned. Besides, in Japan Hyrule Warriors releases in mid-August, so it makes sense that it would get the limelight and Smash news would wait until September.
Outside of a potential trailer reveal at the end of the Direct, pretty much this.

That said, there's nothing to stop them from doing another direct this month. Tomodachi Life, Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8 all got Nintendo Directs in the same month, with Smash and MK8 being all three major territories. I have a feeling we'll see a similar pattern this time, with Smash at the end of this month or the early beginning of next month.

JaredHaj

Smash Rookie
NNID
JaredHaj
The only reason I'd say there's some hope for Smash news during this Direct is that it's being livestreamed. The Mario Kart 8 and Tomodachi Life Nintendo Directs were just uploaded straight to YouTube without any prior announcements.

That being said, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

That being said, I'm probably going to get my hopes up anyways. Ganondorf vs. Mewtwo vs. Ridley trailer. Make it happen, Nintendo.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Hyrule Warriors direct, eh? Meaning even a higher chance of a Smash direct. In April, we got a Smash direct, Tomodachi Life direct, and Mario Kart 8 direct. I wouldn't be surprised if they put three directs in one month again. My predictions of directs this month:
Hyrule Warriors direct
Smash direct
(Insert awesome game by Nintendo announced E3 2014 here) direct :laugh:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I never thought there would be another direct because, frankly, one is enough. And with the Hyrule Warriors Direct, welp.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Since the next Nintendo Direct is for Hyrule Warriors, that puts anything Smash Bros. related out of the question for August.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Assuming there's a direct, we'll probably be receiving quite a bit of information, considering the Japanese get the 3DS version a month later.

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
I doubt we'll get a second direct for the same game, though.
Usually I'd agree, but Pokemon got two directs. For a game with this much information coming out of it, I really wouldn't be surprised to see another Smash Direct.

D

Deleted member

While I doubt we'll get to see another Smash-related Direct, we could get some Smash info in regular Nintendo Directs.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"It's close enough to the launch date, so I don't have to describe this stage to you, right?"

This makes me doubtful of a Smash Direct, at least before the 3DS Smash comes out.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
The chances of us getting another 40 minute Smash-focused Nintendo Direct are basically nil. A smaller 10-20 min direct, livestreamed trailer, or information during a regular Nintendo Direct are more realistic possibilities, and I feel pretty confident that at least one of those is coming before release.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
"It's close enough to the launch date, so I don't have to describe this stage to you, right?"

This makes me doubtful of a Smash Direct, at least before the 3DS Smash comes out.
Either way, that's just a stage. There is still a lot of major info Sakurai has to tell us about for the 3DS version of Smash.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
...Define "things like that"?
Oh, right, sorry :laugh: . Things like what do all the icons on the menu lead to, but more importantly all the things he showed at the E3 2014 trailer. Things like the album, character stats, coins, minigames, etc. we're never fully explained. But then again he could just talk about it in a Pic of the day. : /

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I keep getting things wrong when I try to predict stuff. It's like the opposite of what I says happens everytime.

Anyways, I am conivnced 100% that whenever the next Direct comes around, they're gonna announce Ridley as a newcomer.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
I am almost certain there will be another Direct besides the Hyrule one or at least another newcomer as for the most part we've gotten one every other month.

Top Bottom