• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should we expect at the August Nintendo Direct?

pickle962

Smash Lord
Greetings fellow smashers! With July drawing to an end, a new Nintendo Direct is now just over the horizon and within the next two weeks or so, there will be (hopefully) a plethora of new info to hold us over till the 3DS version comes out. Question is, what exactly do you feel will be covered in the smash portion of the August Nintendo Direct? I personally feel that the Wii U version of the game will get some much needed info revealed such as what exclusive content (modes for example) it alone will have with the 3DS version being only (by the time of the upcoming direct) a month away from its Japanese release. (And to be honest, we know enough about the 3DS version as is)

Oh and for the LOVE of all that is good, please, please, please, PLEASE do not somehow derail this thread into yet another Melee VS Brawl debate/flame thread and also PLEASE leave any Sm4sh cynicism you may have at the door should you choose to reply to this thread as that also leads to Melee VS Brawl arguments that quickly go south! I'm asking any and all moderators who police this section of the forums to keep a VERY CLOSE eye on my thread if you can and STRICTLY enforce the rules I have layed down for my thread to a T!

Nielicus

Smash Lord
Just thinking about it gets me excited because August is right around the corner!

I expect a Wii U release date, at least 2 character reveals and getting a final look at the 3DS versions other modes and such

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
:( noooooooooooooe i can't be cynical anymore :c

SOME NEW THINGS THAT I EXPECT WILL BE SHOWN AT THE AUGUST NINTENDO DIRECT:

• New character(s)
  • New stage(s)
  • The exclusive Wii U mode
  • Release date for the Wii U version
  • A pre-release build of the game, showcasing the level of speed that will be in the final version

Last edited:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Character reveals, few vets, maybe a noob
Wii U release

And where's my damn stage editor?

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I expect to get some info on that Wii U button that's on the 3ds main menu. I doubt we'll get a lot of Wii U exclusive info though, since they'll be doing everything they can to hype up the incoming 3ds release.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Unless it's a Smash Direct, a character (and the home stage of said character, and in consequence,a music track. Maybe a veteran if one is found in the trailer)

Is there going to be a Direct in August? I know it's a safe bet per say but confirmation would be nice.

Last edited:

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
I think we'll just get a veteran reveal and the Wii U release date

I really think there will be a September Smash Direct to hype up the 3DS Version.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'd say probably a newcomer, since we still have videos left and were nearing the bottom after Robin/Lucina. We could get a surprise newcomer video announcement any time before release though as well, so the August Direct won't be like the last chance to get a newcomer before release.

Oh, and Wii U release date please.

Last edited:

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
We seriously need at least one reveal, probably a newcomer, especially if we (most likely) end SDCC without someone new, although I'm not expecting it to be as Smash focused as the last, since Nintendo has a lot coming down the pipeline as of late.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Most of the time, when Smash 4 appears in a regular Nintendo Direct all we get is a character video, but this time it should change. Instead Sakurai should get a 10-15 (or maybe more) minute block to talk about some basic game stuff like WiiU release date, 3DS info (like minigames, etc. Maybe even announce Circle pad pro compatibility or even special smash circle pad pro), maybe a demo (I can dream :laugh: ), maybe some stages, an exclusive WiiU game mode (and maybe show some of it's minigames), and most definantly a character(s) reveal video. It'd be even better if August's direct was a Smash direct like in April.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Definitely at least one of the last if not the last newcomer video. Probably more than one due to the game coming out in September.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Probably wishful thinking, but it would be rather impressive if the next Smash Bros. Direct reveals the remaining veterans who are returning.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Any source that says that there will be a Direct on August?
Nintendo Directs and/or Digital Events have usually happened on a bi-monthly basis. The last Direct/Digital Event was last month during E3, so we're probably due for one next month.

Edit: :4greninja:'d.

Last edited:

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'd expect one newcomer (unless there's another series that has two, which, DK could have a chance of that, but I don't foresee any others to get two this time around), and possibly a veteran or two in the newcomer trailer. Assuming it isn't a Smash Direct, I'd expect a bit more 3DS stage info, and possibly a bit of Amiibo footage or a Wii U release date as well.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I'm hoping for a couple characters (at least one newcomer and at least one vet), a Wii U release date, and Sakurai level trolling.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Well, if we get one, I'd like to see some game play on games we have not seen much on (Zelda U possibly, etc) although we've seen a lot on pretty much every announced Nintendo game. A new Smash character would be a given, or just announce the rest of them. I would like to see a new game announcement, but we already have several coming, so it would not hurt my feelings if we didn't get that. *Cough Majora's Mask 3D cough* Other than that... they could do some cool, fun stuff with Mario Maker, Xenoblade X online, etc etc.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
A newcomer is obvious. Although trying to guess who is futile.

Personally, I'd just like to get some clarification on Palutena's base moveset.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I'm to the point where I don't want them to reveal a new character just so that there are some kept secret for release. I really want to see some of the features of older games like Stage Builder and Target Test on display. Realistically, I could see a Newcomer and a veteran and maybe the Wii U release date.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Other than a character trailer and maybe a Wii-U release date, I don't know how much more info they'll have than that considering it's a Nintendo Direct as opposed to a Smash Bros Direct and Nintendo Directs give games a very brief amount of time so that they can spend a little extra time showing other games, but I guess it's still possible considering Smash 3DS comes out in Japan during September.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Sakurai admitting that he thinks that Ridley is too big to be an enjoyable sandvich.

Seriously tho', probably a character trailer, release of all the veterans who are haven't been announced and are coming back, and the Wii U feature.

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
I predict a newcomer trailer (possibly featuring a vet), as well as a release date for the wii u version, and possibly some info on extra modes.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Remember this isn't another Smash Direct completely dedicated to Smash Bros. This is a Nintendo Direct. I assume well get a short video showing off a newcomer just like they did with Rosalina.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I expect a single trailer with a newcomer announcement and possibly a veteran too, I expect further veterans to be announced via PotDs, and the Wii U release date will definitely be past October so I think we'll hear the release date it in the October Direct instead.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Do we have an expected day? I can never find the scheduling for these things. :(

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
I think the direct will be the middle of August and we will get the last newcomer trailer because the game will be out in Japan in September so it's likely sakurai will keep things under wraps. I for one am stoked to see the final roster.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I suppose it depends on whether or not we get a Smash-specific Direct again or a general Direct.

If we get a general Direct it will likely be early (before Hyrule Warriors releases, so before the 16th). If it's Smash specific, I don't know when it would be, honestly.

I suppose there could be a general direct and a Smash specific direct later ( like for MK8 or Tomodachi Life).

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Well it's very unlikely to be a second Smash Direct.
Personally, I think that this will showcase more than a newcomer, and that in the weeks before Smash 3DS's release, they will have another Smash Direct. Likewise, the same will be done with the Wii U version, and they'll probably reveal the exclusive Wii U mode in the final direct.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Personally, I think that this will showcase more than a newcomer, and that in the weeks before Smash 3DS's release, they will have another Smash Direct. Likewise, the same will be done with the Wii U version, and they'll probably reveal the exclusive Wii U mode in the final direct.
Honestly I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Top Bottom