• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what should i do against kirby's dair if i shield it?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
my only option is to roll right after the dair right? and then he will just smash in the direction i go:\

if i don't then he tilts till the shield breaks and i can't roll during that.

so what can i do to prevent this? just not ever shield it? so if he's above me..what are good counters to kirby's dair? nothing except pika's upair can compete? and you probably have to be careful even with that

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure there are a few characters with uptilts or upsmashes that do the trick.

However, this does not solve your problem if you can't beat it given a character you are on.

If you can't shield grab because of the lag of hitting the shield, and can't roll away, why not simply try jumping away? Its very easy to jump out and over your opponent after the shield lag, and most of the time you'll be above the dtilt/dsmash when it happens.

Or you could just alter your playstyle so you aren't subject to the dair in general, which is what most players do.

felix45

Smash Lord
never shield the dair unless you want a broken/near broken shield and a free hit for the kirby player. there isn't anything you can do except get hit by kirby if you let him dair your shield.

some people will do usmash/utilts that out prioritize it but if the kirby player is any good he'll wait for you to do that and come in during the lag after the attack is done and hit you anyways.

I suggest running and waiting for kirby to hit the ground from the dair then running back and grabbing kirby or doing an arial.

felix45

Smash Lord
lol the tilts come out so fast to where the second you try you will get hit. you cant shield grab kirby unless kirby misses the z cancel.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Never, ever shield a drill. Its an auto grab for mario or luigi, or jiggly. For kirby its almost a garunteed shield breaker.

dair - cancel - utilt- utitl- fsmash.

Shield broken. I once did it to someone 8 times in one match :laugh:

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ya, normally i'm not used to it being such a problem..i played someone called dedrick though that is a few levels above my play...like where i get read like an open book and can barely try to keep it close on other char..with his main kirby..it's just a rapefest....it's all good and well to say don't shield the dair...but his setups are no joke either..i need to think of ways to counter

plus i sucks these days..i play melee nowadays....i was probably better 2 years ago...tehn i might have been able to take more than a life:p

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
Get hit by kirby's drill then D.I. as much in front of him as you can. Maybe he'll miss his tilt.

and the best way to stop kirby's drill is to not get hit by it. :D

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
So... the best thing you can do is to NOT shield anything in the match?

Because i using the shield with yoshi, and discover i sell myself for a grab -__-

hambread

Smash Apprentice
is it possible to get outta Fsmash range with a good tech roll given you have enough rolling room? im under the impression kirby's Fmash doesnt reach THAT far to hit you after you tech.

PikashoX

Smash Apprentice
you could always shield if you know the person cant z-cancel...then you could grab

but otherwise shielding...equals u-tilt, up-tilt, u-tilt, u-tilt, f-smash...which equals shield break (kirby --> broken)

i suggest allowing the hit and trying to tech (probably will get hit --> kirby is broken) or DI

DreDay

Smash Journeyman
I roll away the 1st moment I get and then jump away from kirby or run instead of jumping away.

felix45

Smash Lord
is it possible to get outta Fsmash range with a good tech roll given you have enough rolling room? im under the impression kirby's Fmash doesnt reach THAT far to hit you after you tech.

nope the fsmash wont hit if you tech away but they can run and grab you if they predict the way you roll. luckily kirby's grab is absolutley terrible so that isn't such a big deal.

also if it is on a platform like on dreamland even if you tech away kirby can dsmash and it covers the whole platform. or any other situation like that where you are near a ledge.

PikashoX

Smash Apprentice
cant the fsmash hit if kirby attacks you in the middle of your tech? or maybe im just not teching fast enough

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so basically the rule is roll if i have space to roll away and just get grabbed...or if not take the hit and try to di away so they have to follow up with ftilt instead of uptilt.....i'm guessing if i have room roll away is the best option then because getting grabbed by kirby is less damage than drill + ftilt..probably...

anyways, as fox i really just hsouldn't let him get above me i guess..upsmash isn't a good counter to a good kirby..

umm one other question..if the kirby does a bair low to the ground can he immediately uptilt before i can grab? it seems to be the case...i think though that i can shield grab before he gets that low

kuenzel

Smash Ace
if youre fox, cant you just uair combo him? or does kirby's dair have more priority? Im pretty sure your uair woulld beat kirby, just cause it usually has priority over EVERYTHING.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
No, Kirby's feet have priority over everything. Like, everything. Fox's Uair has decent priority maybe, and that's only above his head. Kirby's feet actually extend a bit in front of him while he's drilling. I normally just...dashdance to drill. Or just run away while SHDL'ing. ...Or just running away.

Asylum

Smash Journeyman
If you facing the kirby while hes dairing your shield, shield grab. If your facing away from the kirby while hes dairing your shield, try and jump out of it. It really depends on the character though.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
asylum, we've already establlished that you can't shield grab a dair..and you can't jump out without running iinto the uptilts unless he's spaced a little too far away...in which case you can try to jump out and di the uptilt to prevent more than one probably

Mura

Smash Apprentice
Shielding d-air? -> Be prepared for a shield break and free kirby damage.

hambread

Smash Apprentice
wenbobular wins this round of discussion.

get kirby from side with SHFairs. its risky cuz if you mess up and end up above kirby a good player will Utilt or ShDair you.

Top Bottom