• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What "series" Nintenzone wants to be revived (Victory!!!)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
AW's day again already eh? That was quick.

Well you guys know what i'm voting for. Punch Out is good and stuff but like dream1ng dream1ng said AW has the potential to really rise in today's age with an NX revival.

Hard to believe F-Zero is in the losers bracket but it gets my vote.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Zebei help I accidentally picked F-Zero instead of Starfy because mobile sucks D:

I voted Punch-Out!! and F-Zero...

...but I meant to vote Punch-Out!! and Starfy for that double star combo. :(

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Barbara the Bat >>>>> Game & Watch

Golden Sun >>>>>> Wario Land. Sorry Wario.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wario Land was great.

I played all the Golden Sun's except the new one and can't remember a thing about them. That's a bad sign for me

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Wario Land was great.

I played all the Golden Sun's except the new one and can't remember a thing about them. That's a bad sign for me
If you can't remember a thing then chances are you didn't even pay attention to the game lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To be fair, as much as I love Golden Sun, they're pretty generic in terms of art, narrative and atmosphere.

BUT THE GAME PLAY MAN.
Highly disagree. It's plot is unique compared to most RPG's given it's more complicated than "beat the bad guy and stop evil". Getting to play as both Isaac's and Felix's party gives a different perspective of the world which is really neat. The art style is one I don't see in many games as well.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Golden Sun was pretty unlike any other experience you'd have on a portable at the time.

And it's just a good game, so it still holds up imo.

Though there is a decent amount of heavy-handed exposition at times.

finalark

SNORLAX
Highly disagree. It's plot is unique compared to most RPG's given it's more complicated than "beat the bad guy and stop evil". Getting to play as both Isaac's and Felix's party gives a different perspective of the world which is really neat. The art style is one I don't see in many games as well.
I don't know how much of an RPG junkie you are, maybe you spent your entire childhood glued to them. Maybe you've only played a handful.

Regardless, let's take a look a Golden Sun and it's sequel, since those two appear to be the ones you're references.

Basic plot of the first game: Evil dudes are going to do some bad stuff at the light houses (which are at least named after planets, although they do follow the common "four elements" theme in spirit). Heroes try to stop them, but the bad guys succeed and turn into a dragon. Heroes slay said dragon, game ends on a bittersweet cliffhanger.

Basic plot of Lost Age: Right after the end of Golden Sun, the game follows Felix as he continues the former antagonist's mission to light the light houses. Turns out, he was right all along and the protagonist of the first game was in the wrong (pretty clever twist, actually). They fight the guy who sent Isaac on his quest in the first place. Who is actually bad, only he isn't. Or something.

I'll applaud the game for it's attempt at some sort of moral ambiguity, but instead what we get is a complicated story, not a complex one. Which is a pretty common thing for post-FFVII JPRGs. Sure, it's more complicated than "stop the bad guys," but most JRPGs are. Really, all we get in the end of a revolving door of antagonists and protagonists (giving me FFIV flashbacks). You're just stopping the bad guys, but who you're stopping is all that changes.

I do think the idea of allowing you to play as the "bad guys" (who were good guys all along) is a neat idea. Not new, Final Fantasy VI, Dragon Quest IV and Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep are all JRPGs off the top of my head that took a similar approach. Having the player swap around between characters are groups to see the story from a different perspective.

I still stand by what I say about the art. Here's Golden Sun, here's Breath of Fire. Maybe this style is so old that people have forgotten, but the series totally has spikey "Shounen" look to its art that was all the rage when Anime, Manga and Japanese stuff in general was big back in the 2000s.

Now, I'm not saying that GS is bad. I think it's quite good, but I totally think that the series is pretty generic at first glance. Assuming you've played other JPRGs, I guess.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I voted for Wario Land, even though I love Golden Sun. More memories playing Wario Land, plus collecting treasure was fun.

And I voted for Ice Climbers. I'm still adamant we'll see them as a part of Nintendo's mobile games. Endless climber maybe? Although DK Vine Climb would probably be more popular.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Golden Sun doesn't have anything to catch your attention nowadays.

Regardless, most people who play it love it.

One of those, "I didn't think this would be amazing games."

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I always imagined a running Ice Climber series as each game being a different mountain for the climbers to climb, each with its own dangers. I'd like to play a series like that, and it sounds more appealing than the Mysterious Murasame Castle.

Wario Land and Game and Watch.

"Just gonna finish today's rating an-"

Whatever. At least the other days panned out.

Golden Sun inches ahead of Wario Land just barely and game and watch eliminates Daigasso.

I guess we'll just have 2 polls for today.

Yesterday's loser's bracket, Mysterious Murasame Castle VS Ice Climbers
http://www.strawpoll.me/11255309

Followed by Winner's Finals!
Golden Sun takes on Punch Out
Will Mac retain his belt?

http://www.strawpoll.me/11262670

:061:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I voted for Golden Sun because as far as new titles goes all Punch-Out really needs is a dose of additional content (ie. new boxers) while Golden Sun actually needs to finish its damn plot. Also for all the reasons previously stated.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Voted for Punch-Out!! over Golden Sun.

Adding SNES Super Punch-Out!! types of mechanics to an NLG Punch-Out!! game? Sounds good to me.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh gosh...

They're both so fun...

I can't pick...

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Voted Golden Sun and Ice Climber...

So another day with a tie means I have to post in the nintenzone thread because seriously guys this isn't cool. Just because this is a smash related board doesn't mean EVERY tourny has to be handled terribly and run late :/

Punch-Out!! takes out Golden Sun though just barely
Game and Watch Takes on F-Zero
http://www.strawpoll.me/11269094

Along with MMC still taking on IC
http://www.strawpoll.me/11255309

Please read before you vote this time guys. :p
:061:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Game and Watch doesn't really need to be revived, IMO.

It had multiple re-releases, and its ideas have been integrated into other series. I'll still show up in stuff as Easter Eggs too. Personal Trainer: Cooking even had Chief as an unlock for finishing X recipies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Aww crap. AW is up against one of the most popular franchises yet to be revived. I don't have a good feeling about this.

Well it is what it is. Voting for AW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom