• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What realistic changes could you see Zelda getting in the upcoming patch?

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo

Idk, looks like Mewtwo's the one that lands. Zelda doesn't seem to get the chance to land.....

EDIT:

I was thinking about the possibility of it being able to link two to break shields as well.... Oh dear lord I'm about to cry..... PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN.
We can still hope that it does SHAC.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Realistic changes? Nerfs only, because seriously, it's like the devs were trying to make Zelda terrible. What she needs? Take a few frames off most of her moves and let her keep her Phantom's charge status. If they'd take 3-5 frames off the startlag and endlag of most of her moves, I could see Zelda going from one of the worst characters in the game to mid-tier. Oh, Din's Fire no longer puts you in freefall, and using it near the ledge no longer makes you fall off of it. It couldn't hurt to make her nair hitbox a little bigger, either.

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Realistic changes? Nerfs only, because seriously, it's like the devs were trying to make Zelda terrible. What she needs? Take a few frames off most of her moves and let her keep her Phantom's charge status. If they'd take 3-5 frames off the startlag and endlag of most of her moves, I could see Zelda going from one of the worst characters in the game to mid-tier. Oh, Din's Fire no longer puts you in freefall, and using it near the ledge no longer makes you fall off of it. It couldn't hurt to make her nair hitbox a little bigger, either.
Even though we can tell they've been trying to buff her as time goes by (from Melee to Brawl she had some great buffs, same for Brawl to this game), they just don't know what to do. She could easily be where she needs to be if they weren't so dumb about giving her almost no reliable kill moves and high end lag on several of her attacks when she has such poor mobility to make up for it. Sure, she's powerful, but chances are you won't land any of those powerful moves because she's either too slow or they're so easily telegraphed. I can think of so many times that I could've landed certain things and gotten the advantage again, but it didn't go through because she couldn't make it there in time. At least she doesn't have Palutena level endlag, but she's much faster sooo....

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Even though we can tell they've been trying to buff her as time goes by (from Melee to Brawl she had some great buffs, same for Brawl to this game), they just don't know what to do. She could easily be where she needs to be if they weren't so dumb about giving her almost no reliable kill moves and high end lag on several of her attacks when she has such poor mobility to make up for it. Sure, she's powerful, but chances are you won't land any of those powerful moves because she's either too slow or they're so easily telegraphed. I can think of so many times that I could've landed certain things and gotten the advantage again, but it didn't go through because she couldn't make it there in time. At least she doesn't have Palutena level endlag, but she's much faster sooo....
That's the point I was making. After getting her trophy in Classic, I started to think that she might have potential, and put in a few hours of vs. CPU practice. I almost immediately determined that she was too bad to be viable, but what really hurt is that she could have been easily fixed to be playable. She's got some great tools, but she's so slow and her attacks are so laggy that it doesn't matter. It's fine that Zelda's movement speed is slow, but with the terrible lag on all of her attacks she's practically worthless on a competitive level.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I originally hated the Din's Fire concept, but then I played FG and realized why it's actually the most ingenious and semi-trolly thing ever.

It's a dedicated projectile. So you are supposed to use it when she is safe. That means she is supposed to be firmly on stage, or at least perform a short hop. She is to never use it while falling from being knocked up in the air or as a landing tool OR after a double jump. So if for some reason you're dumb like most FG Zelda's who spam it at point blank range... You deserve the free fall. You deserve to be pushed off the stage and fall to your death. No. Bad Zelda. Zeldon't. Stop. *hits with newspaper and spritzes with spray bottle*

But from a competitive standpoint, Din's Fire makes very little sense anyway. One of her customs should've just been a straight forward boom boom that that acted more like Falco's laser without keeping her rooted. Sure there would be end lag, but it would travel 3/4ths the stage and let her at least run before it hits anyone at the very end. It'd be a poke with no kill potential. A true projectile that doesn't suck.

But heeeeeeeeey. Let's NOT utilize customs to make a character more viable. Let's just reuse the same animations and just change the purpose. Din's Barely Useful Blaze or Din's Why Bother Flare! YEAAAAH! That'll be fun and fair and great and will totally address all the problems that Zelda clearly has! I'm so awesome.

frest123

Smash Cadet
I always pla
I originally hated the Din's Fire concept, but then I played FG and realized why it's actually the most ingenious and semi-trolly thing ever.

It's a dedicated projectile. So you are supposed to use it when she is safe. That means she is supposed to be firmly on stage, or at least perform a short hop. She is to never use it while falling from being knocked up in the air or as a landing tool OR after a double jump. So if for some reason you're dumb like most FG Zelda's who spam it at point blank range... You deserve the free fall. You deserve to be pushed off the stage and fall to your death. No. Bad Zelda. Zeldon't. Stop. *hits with newspaper and spritzes with spray bottle*

But from a competitive standpoint, Din's Fire makes very little sense anyway. One of her customs should've just been a straight forward boom boom that that acted more like Falco's laser without keeping her rooted. Sure there would be end lag, but it would travel 3/4ths the stage and let her at least run before it hits anyone at the very end. It'd be a poke with no kill potential. A true projectile that doesn't suck.

But heeeeeeeeey. Let's NOT utilize customs to make a character more viable. Let's just reuse the same animations and just change the purpose. Din's Barely Useful Blaze or Din's Why Bother Flare! YEAAAAH! That'll be fun and fair and great and will totally address all the problems that Zelda clearly has! I'm so awesome.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In my case, I've always looked as Din's Fire as a way to balance Zelda's recovery. You have to admit her recovery is extremely powerful. She basically gets a free ledge from almost any angle thanks to FW. She can even by-pass the ledge altogether and land directly on the stage should she need to.

So how does Din's fire balance it? By being a BNF (***** ***** Fingers - shofu reference there) move that while you're recovering with FW, there's a slight chance you might miss-input and kill yourself with Din's Fire.

GOD. SAKURAI MUCH GENIUS!!! I WOULD HAVE NEVER THOUGHT OF SUCH A BALANCING DYNAMIC.

Oh and I've always looked as Phantom as this slow-mo dramatic thing. She musters up all her energy to swipe you and you jump over it only to kill her. You have to admit it looks super dramatic the way she charges it and the way the Phantom moves in with the slash like it's in slow-mo.

#zeldaisthemostuniquecharacterinsmash #atleastshe'sgoodforsomething

Seriously Sakurai. Please open your eyes and fix her. :(

EDIT:

In all of this, where is Nairo? I'd really like to hear what he thinks could be improved in Zelda. (Does Nairo still use Zelda btw)

Last edited:

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
One more day guys, then we get to test what got changed because Nintendo won't give us a list of the balance changes for some reason.
I'm immediately going to training and attempting to Hoo-Hah to make sure they fixed at least that.
I better notice some Zelda buffs, or else.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
One more day guys, then we get to test what got changed because Nintendo won't give us a list of the balance changes for some reason.
I'm immediately going to training and attempting to Hoo-Hah to make sure they fixed at least that.
I better notice some Zelda buffs, or else.
I hope I can pull myself away from Dungeon Fighter long enough to actually try out Zelda. :C

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
, many people think they are only gonna remove fox/link/ddd jablock and not really do any big changes like in the first patch.

Darklightjg1

Smash Rookie
NNID
darklightjg
The character select hand just flashes you the middle finger when you hover over her. They might as well have done that because it seems like she didn't get anything.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
Down smash has a new animation.

jab now its a multihit move!

Dihan

Smash Apprentice
There is one major change for Zelda...

She's now the first character on the second row of the Wii U select screen.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
up air is super fast now (for zelda standards)

upsmash kills earlier

phantom also charges VERY fast now. the normal version is as fast as the custom Phantom strike, and phantom strike takes about half a second to fully charge. neat

thing which look different for me but may not be changed at all:

can act earlier out of dthrow and jab

fsmash end lag increased a bit (seems to be the only nerf
;.; )

upsmash ends faster

fair and bair have a little shorter ending and landing lag, but only by like 2 frames

nair is faster

ftilt longer range, may even kill earlier

Last edited:

frest123

Smash Cadet
up air is super fast now (for zelda standards)

upsmash kills earlier

phantom also charges VERY fast now. the normal version is as fast as the custom Phantom strike, and phantom strike takes about half a second to fully charge. neat

thing which look different for me but may not be changed at all:

can act earlier out of dthrow and jab

fsmash end lag increased a bit (seems to be the only nerf
;.; )

upsmash ends faster

fair and bair have a little shorter ending and landing lag, but only by like 2 frames

nair is faster

ftilt longer range, may even kill earlier

Can you prove any of these. It honestly feels like nothing has changed with her...

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
Can you prove any of these. It honestly feels like nothing has changed with her...
only things in bold are 100% real, the rest is probably just my imagination but i like to pretend it's true as it makes me feel good while i play zelda

come to think of it, usmash may not kill earlier but i think it does pls confirm anyone

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
TBH, those proven changes are more than I would've realistically expected to begin with. If the rest is for real real, that's even better. lol

Gonna hop on FG and play around as Zelda for a bit before work.

Top Bottom