• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what makes pikachu so good in brawl....

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
Pikachu is a deadly force in brawl. His ability to hold opponents with moves gives him an advantage over other characters. What I mean is his attacks like downsmash, bair, fair suck the opponent in giving u time to plan ur next move. every time u land a bair fair dsmash ur basicly freezing the match while u rack up damage. Its alot like grabs in meele, its like once u connect with it u stop the match for a little bit and take the advantage.

And if that isnt enough for pika he has the quick-attack cancelling, less lag on his foward smash and downb, can chainthrow, one of the best uairs in the game, and the sliding upsmash.... not to mention his projectile can litteraly kill people trying to recover even at low percentages by trapping them under the stage.

Pikachu has it all in brawl, and in the right hands can be a nearly unbeatable character.

ArcadiaLegend

Smash Rookie
He's good yes, but like all characters he can be countered. There's no denying the fact that Pikachu is a powerful force in Brawl. So are alot of other characters. But he's not unbeatable. Will he be hard to counter in the right hands? Yes. Anyone good with any character is hard to counter and defeat. But yes, Pikachu offers alot and can stand his ground against any opponent if you ask me.

To me, his smash attacks, every single one of them is great. They are a high point but shouldn't be spammed. Well duh I guess. Anyone knows that. His air game isn't bad either. He just has so much you can use. I tend to use a little bit of everything if I can get away with it. Just so I'm not spamming too much and becoming too predictable.

VEC

Smash Journeyman
As a pit mainer you know nothing, Pikachu up smash and forward smash SUCK to what they used to be, downsmash is nothing compared to what peaches was, and his only GOOD killing move is down b, pit amazing combos, projectiles recovery

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
As a pit mainer you know nothing, Pikachu up smash and forward smash SUCK to what they used to be, downsmash is nothing compared to what peaches was, and his only GOOD killing move is down b, pit amazing combos, projectiles recovery
First of all everycharacter is different than they were in meele,but i wasnt comparing him with his meele counterpart, im was comparing him to the rest of the brawl cast.

:/ ya, ok i have no idea what im talking about, if u think pikachu meele is anywhere near as good as brawl pikachu ur blind. I dunno maybe u just suck with pikachu and should play one of the other characters is brawl. Its like since he is ur favorite character or ur main u think u know more about him, well coming from a nuetral standpoint I can say pikachu is better in nearly every aspect....

Kai_

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't think his uair is all that good. Though he's incredibly deadly; anyone who don't have moves countering projectiles(cape, reflector) can't punish his Thunder.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
Ive pulled off like 4 uairs in a row and finished it off into another air. Most peoples uairs knock the opponent away his is one of the few u can use to combo into other moves. Pretty much all his moves combo into eachother... his nair is probly his best off stage edguarding move. Ive been able to hit people way off the screen pretty acuratley and return easily.

In my experience people have a hard time reflecting his thunder an usually apt for an airdodge in which case u can use thunder again or another areial. Hes one of the few characters with horizantal and vertical projectiles. People have a hard time even getting close and when they do u downsmash them. You can easily go from defense to offence with his quick speed and variety of moves... pikachu is way too good

D20

Smash Lord
Here are a couple of other things that have not been mentioned...

Usmash out of sheild --> thunder.
Uair --> nair at any percent.
Fair --> dsmash or utilt.

Also, could somone explain to me what a "sliding usmash" is and how it is done? Thanks.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
by sliding upsmash, i just mean dash into upsmash, every character can do it. Pikas good at it beacause hes so small u can just run in and upsmash into thunder etc......

The best uses for the qac to me are qa into dair on the ground, qa inthe air into uair...

I think he has the best dsmash in the game, maybe the best move in the game.

AmericanBison

Smash Cadet
i love him a lot, but he has bad range, and sometimes a lot of lag on the ariels. his grab range is among the worst, next to ganon and falcon.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
He lacks some priority against other faster characters such as Diddy, but Pikachu is still amazing.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Pikachu seems like a pretty obscene character against opponents without giant swords/reflectors. I often feel like he's unapproachable because of that cursed downsmash and down-b, but it helps to remember that typically a down smash doesn't deal more than 15% (in spite of it feeling like a lot more). I always tell myself, "at least it's not as bad as Peach's down-smash from Melee." That makes me feel a lot better.

Kai_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Pika's repertoire of flurry attacks don't deal alot of percent, and even less knockback when spammed.

They do rack up insanely fast though.

Lucky 1276

Smash Rookie
what's so good?!
thunder (huge knockback)
thunder jolt (paralyze then run in)
skull bash (really good power;finishes off real good)
quick attack (hard to control; but an awesome recovery move if you perfect it)
and all the smash moves have more power

St. Viers

Smash Champion
don't forget the best combo ever, f-air to jab. It's just hilarious how fast his head moves....

@BBQ: Pikachu doesn't lack priority, his moves lack range. There is a difference.

American Bison: but pika's fast enough that it doen't matter-> can just run up and grab quickly<_<

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
I dunno about that priority thing I've seen alot of things that my friend's pikachu does that makes me almost want to scream hack. The rat has deceptive priority as the hit boxes seem disjointed in some attacks and do seem to suck you into more hits (cursed D-smash). also i've noticed that with just his down-b when compared to melee, pikachu can move before the thunder disapears. but the sliding u-smash to thunder trick, my friend has tried that but i've managed to DI away and air dodge at the right time to avoid it.

Triforce_Chauzu

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu was my main until I played my first Melee match with him... When I discovered what they had done to his, according to me, best attack - the bair - I decided to stop using him. That move meant too much to me...

But I've played some more Pika in Brawl, and I think he's definately better than in Melee. Still, I won't be able to use him much due to the fact that I do bair all the time. *sigh*

Browny

Smash Hater
omg pikachu is unstoppable. i generally practice with trying out new mains vs lvl 9 top tier (supposedly) characters (like TL, marth, wolf) and by accident i selected pikachu instead of marth to go against. i went with it anyway and got owned...

only way i ended up beating pikachu was by playing as TL and doing nothing but spam bombs + up b lol. Pikachu is so incredibly under-rated right now. we should all main him and use him as much as possible before people begin to learn about pikachus awesome power and declare him cheap lol.

Top Bottom