• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What level CPU do you practice against?

Cake>Pi

Smash Rookie
Hey, I play alone a lot since I haven't really met any Smashers in my community yet so I practice alone the majority of the time. A few of my friends play Brawl casually and will play a few matches with me in Melee every once in a while, but thats it.

To get back on topic, I've been playing against level 7 CPUs because they seem to have pretty normal DI and are willing to put up a fight. I've heard that playing against CPUs will develop bad habits, but right now it's my only option.

Let me know what level CPU you play against and why. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated since I'm new and need all the help I can get!

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
CPUs develop bad habits. They're only for practicing tech skill. 3-5 are the ones that mixup their DI best, as I've understood.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
It's either a level 1 handicap Bowser so I can warm up my hands with repeated nair shine or it's a controller in the second port so I can move around the stage. I don't even bother with the other stuff except on rare occasions.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
When I get bored of doing tech skill by myself I'll play against CPU's from level 1 to 9 then change the CPU's character. I've read varied reports on which CPU level DI's which ways so I don't actually know which ones have the 'most human-like' DI. I try to keep it varied though so it's good to mix up the levels so your combos aren't set in one DI option.

If you get the hack C-Stick in 1P mode it can be pretty fun to practice on Classic mode. You get to fight almost the whole character roster and some CPU's are easier than others.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
CPUs develop bad habits. They're only for practicing tech skill. 3-5 are the ones that mixup their DI best, as I've understood.
I think op is right and I'm fairly sure it's level 7s that mix it up the most. I could be wrong. Someone wanna weigh in here?

Varist

Smash Lord
Their DI changes very slightly between groups of two or three CPU levels and I personally like mixing between 1 (away DI) and 5 (in DI) but you're still going to miss out on a whole range of trajectories

SonOfTheNorthe

Smash Rookie
Yeah, it'll give you bad habits to play against CPU's, but I do it personally, because I've got no one else to play with most of the time. I play against level 9, though if I'm feeling ballsy, I'll play against 2 level 9's (both on the same team), or a level 9 with a large handicap against me.

Haaaaadoken

Smash Cadet
I play with level 3s mostly and usually change characters every now and then or whenever I just get bored of playing the same character.

Jsyk

Smash Rookie
99 stock against Lvl 2 - 4 cpu(s) is a fairly good substitute for the training mode because of the useability of the c-stick. The DI of the cpu(s) tends to be reasonable as well.
99 stock will also definitely give you good capacity to develop a regime for tech-skill practise too.

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
just use the name-master hand glitch so u can practice by yourself with no computers ;) u have to push like b then a on name entry and b or something, look it up

Varist

Smash Lord
99 stock against Lvl 2 - 4 cpu(s) is a fairly good substitute for the training mode because of the useability of the c-stick. The DI of the cpu(s) tends to be reasonable as well.
99 stock will also definitely give you good capacity to develop a regime for tech-skill practise too.
Just make sure you're drilling an actual technique for all 99 of those stocks rather than whacking the CPU about, if that's the way you want to spend your time.

thebaum64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebaum64
used to practice with level 8 and 9's although that was a while back lol

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
Level 9s because theyre the hardest. You cant improve if you baby yourself with weaker opponents

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Level 9s because theyre the hardest. You cant improve if you baby yourself with weaker opponents
Lvl 9s are probably the worst ones to practice against. They DI in ways an actual person would never do and power shield everything. Also, they love jabbing for some reason.

Papa+Stone

Lvl 9s are probably the worst ones to practice against. They DI in ways an actual person would never do and power shield everything. Also, they love jabbing for some reason.
Then perhaps "actual people" could learn a few tricks from them. Imo the ability to powershield and have unpredictable crazy di are two things that could turn an average player into an incredible one, maybe even metagame changing. The whole mindset that "oh computers arent real people we dont need to worry about them" is biased and unhealthy, especially when you understand that level 9s *are* incredible. Ill bet that if people just attempted to learn why a level 9 utilizes their jabs in the way they do you could learn a few things. Just dont be so quick to write off level 9 tech as something unnecessary or useless just because its not tournament legal, everything you learn always translates to your other skills. Also im not asking for a revamp in playing style either, "adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own."-bruce lee

Varist

Smash Lord
Then perhaps "actual people" could learn a few tricks from them. Imo the ability to powershield and have unpredictable crazy di are two things that could turn an average player into an incredible one, maybe even metagame changing. The whole mindset that "oh computers arent real people we dont need to worry about them" is biased and unhealthy, especially when you understand that level 9s *are* incredible. Ill bet that if people just attempted to learn why a level 9 utilizes their jabs in the way they do you could learn a few things. Just dont be so quick to write off level 9 tech as something unnecessary or useless just because its not tournament legal, everything you learn always translates to your other skills. Also im not asking for a revamp in playing style either, "adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own."-bruce lee

Lolololol

It's not that it's illegal to play like a level 9 in tournament

It's just that it's ****ty and you'll get beat

you seem to have a misunderstanding on level 9s and what it is they actually do

as you have outlined them,

"ability to powershield" "crazy DI" "special utilization of jabs"

powershielding is great it's just hard, it's not like we're racist against CPUs and we don't want to use their techniques LOL

their DI isn't crazy it's just ****ty, iirc they DI in like all the time and survival DI above a threshold or something. Whatever it is, DI doesn't work that way, there's no best DI. you di certain moves in certain ways. people don't like playing against level 9 CPU DI because their DI choices are the most illogical and if you get used to punishing that kind of DI on reaction with your character you'll make "CPU mistakes" in real matches where everybody can tell you just tried to predict an option that they used to predict when they played against level 9s

spamming jab is gay as **** when a CPU does it because we treat them as combo fodder. If someone started doing that to me in a real match it would trip me up for sure but I'd only take like 3% damage and then I'd shieldgrab you or just dashdance a little bit.

Jabbing forfeits movement options. That's why just jab spamming is bad. You utilize jab when your opponent also has limited movement options, like if they're in shield and you want to poke them a little bit or if they're on the ground and you're forcing a tech. Jabs by nature come out fast, which is great, but limit your movement and have poor range. they're just situational. trust me dog CPUs play like garbage and you have very little to learn from dealing with their bull****. you would be better served practicing on a ragdoll

Asylum

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if anyone said it yet but the best levels to practice against are level 1 for obvious reasons, and level 7 being the 2nd best. They are one of the most unpredictable with DI patterns and are good to practice your spacing and evasiveness. Level 9 computers after a while of playing them can make you INSANELY predictable when fighting opponents afterwards. It's easy to make habits playing level 9's, considering they always use the same recovery, same frame perfect grabs and jabs especially, which can all lead to you sitting in your shield too long or making other mistakes that would not normally happen during an actual match. You cannot approach properly considering CPU's can see moves the frame you press them and counter them. But all else aside, don't play computers. Even friends that enjoy to play the game and aren't good are better options. If you're stuck at home without anyone to play with, I'd recommend practicing your tech skill and ledge/platform movements around all of the legal stages until you don't make any mistakes and are going as fast as possible with your shffl's, wavedashes and wavelands. Mistakes can't be made at the highest level of play without getting heavily punished.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
The only redeeming quality they have is power shielding consistency, but it's not like people are going out of their way not to power shield. It's just hard to be consistent with it. Their DI is the opposite of unpredictable. Like Varist stated, they will almost always go for survival DI which can lead to ridiculous things that would never happen against someone who knows how to DI properly. An example of this would be a CPU DI'ing in when hit by a knee at really low to mid percent instead of DI'ing away to avoid getting comboed. This will lead to bad habits as you will try to continue the combo with another aerial when instead you should probably expect to tech chase.

Papa+Stone

Im not going to listen to this slander from you bigots. Face it, i play level 9s and im every bit a better man because of it. Im the top doc in the southern region, i have a beautiful wife, a stable job, and i have level 9s to thank for it. What do you guys have again. Thats right not even an ounce of what I have. So next time you try to go aroubd belittling my people saying that "oh level 9s arent all that if you play with them their suckage will transfer over like a bad smell and youll get bad habits" (lol superstitious much) But whatever, if you guys want to be inconsiderate ******** go ahead, i can handle anything you want to say just try it and see if i care. Chumps.

Papa+Stone

That was at varist and shadowphoenix btw for everyone else that might be reading this. I dont want to cause any trouble

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
At the time I'm writing this 3 others are randomly lurking in here so it's not as dead as it might seem when I post this. But these last interactions got a big laugh...

And my question was answered so Ty to the sensible people who spoke.

Last edited:

GigaPaul

Smash Rookie
NNID
Paul_SSJGod
3DS FC
5327-1884-5377
I practice against lvl 7 cpu at the moment becouse I just started playing :)

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Well they do play a part in combo building and follow up knowledge. Sometimes even an hour or two vs a ragdoll can open up your game when your mind is really free to explore. You then have to find ways to creatively transfer that knowledge to real situations. I wouldn't say it's a waste of time at all. But you need human challenge more than anything obviously.

FlockOfFlames

Smash Rookie
I saw armada play cpu for hours so ... don't know about this bad habit thing. I guess you just have to be conscious of what you're working on.
EDIT : CPU 9 are great for defensive training. Moving around and trying to not get hit ON REACTION by their frame perfect attacks is good for spacing. Lower level CPU are better for offensive training.

Last edited:

St_Steady

Smash Rookie
I just tee off on a level 1 Fox for 99 stocks. I practice tech and movement while I'm at it of course though.

Top Bottom