• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your playstyle?

Kitsune Inferno

Smash Rookie
Just a question about your personal playstyle in Brawl.

For me, I started out using hit-and-run tactics with Sonic and ranged attacks with Lucario. However, in preparation for this weekend, I've been trying to refine my playstyle with my mains. I want to play more conservatively with both Sonic and Lucario, so I've been using counter-tactics and mind games, but I still have a lot of practice to do.

Discuss yours.

Strivus

Smash Cadet
My playstyle is extremely aggressive, I try my best not to give any breathing room. A I will chase people off the edge with aerials. With Ike and Pit as my mains, philosophy is " A good offense is a good defense"

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
No matter who I play I have a balance of multiple style. I think the weird thing is I constantly changes my style of play. From offensive to defensive, to projectile spammer, to suicidal, I know my friends have a hard time predicting my movements...

And it doesn't matter which characters I use for that.. although I do prioritize one or the other with different characters...

Marth117

Smash Cadet
I'm going to have to say that my style of fighting is a little relentless. I always try to continue pushing any advantage that I have over an opponet striking without remorse for my actions even if they cost me a life. Most of the time when this happens I'm usualy about to kill the opponet anyway.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
depends on what character I am fighting and what style they are useing, but usualy fight in a way that gives me minimal damage while keeping the opponent from reacting. for example, if useing rob I play defensivly/ranged attacks. but not in the same sense as camping, I will take the battle to my opponent though if they also take the defensive camping style. also, with bowser, I tend to just charge my opponent head on, but if they play in a countering manner, I will use spacing and attack range to get them to fight back directly then tear them apart.

the things that never change in my fighting style depending on my mains is though:

with bowser: suicide wins, his >B is too good.

with ROB: use ROB's lazors and spinning top to distrub my opponent and edge guard.

with snake: mines, grenades, the controlable rocket thing, are all used. they are just too much fun.

Kietharr

Smash Cadet
I wait for openings and punish enemies for making mistakes. Dodging is much less difficult than mounting an offensive that does not leave you open. Once I get an opening I smack them with a high damage quick move then continue dodging until they're in kill range.

Mistake

Smash Rookie
I'd recommend learning several ways to play your game and then not sticking to a single one all the way through- I find my human opponents to be MUCH easier when they're spending that extra bit of time second-guessing themselves while they're thinking of what I might do next.

MetaKnight63

Smash Apprentice
With my mains, Meta Knight and Luigi, I balance with offense and defense. I spam Mach Tornado and Luigi Cyclone, Wave dance to confuse, and use smash attacks when there's an opening. If I really want to get rid of an opponent, I use edge guarding.

Ganondorf and Wolf I Wavedance and attack, while spamming Wizard's foot and the Blaster.

I try to use balance in all characters I use.

Link he come to town...

Smash Apprentice
I keep a little distance, and then use a few projectile shots and go in and attack once theyre thrown off. Once in a while I return to a distance after my constant close quarters, or I just stop moving and play the counterer, it really throws people off if you normally attack and attack and then suddenly stop, they expect something. I also spam meteor smashes so much it's probably predictable, but they're so cool. Oh and if someone is being a douche i just spam my projectile to piss them off, i wouldn't really call that a playstyle though.

The_1337

Smash Rookie
i pretty much go all out offensive. ill spam aerials like crazy, and throw in some b moves. i try not to do this, but it's much easier to attack then defend.

nigam

Smash Cadet
for all u noobs scrubs decents and even gods out there, there is no better playstyle than just looking at your opponent and absorb everything they do and counter them i learned this from a pro himself and its been working great for me, just think about it.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
I play aggresively and try to hit my opponent every single chance i get but if i'm desperate i'll resort to suicide with certain charaters (kirby) :chuckle:

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I think defense is far more effective in this game than offense. Power shielding everything that comes your way and camping your opponent into approaching you beats everything. I love fighting super aggressive people as they are so easy to read and punish.
I usually pick Snake, DeDeDe, or R.O.B. and force my opponent to come to me where I punish them with quick tilts or chain-throws in DeDeDe's case.
With Snake camping is easy what with all those mines, grenades, and missiles. He also has great, high-priority tilts and has no shortage of KO moves. Dash attack makes a decent approach when approach is necessary.
With DeDeDe, I waddle Dee spam like a motherf***er and poke with tilts, especially forward tilts. I also punish with grabs in hopes of landing a meaty chain throw. My main KO plan with DeDeDe is to edge guard my opponent with fair or bair, utilizing DeDeDe's multiple jumps. I wish his fsmash was faster or had bigger range like Ike's :(.
With R.O.B., I piss off my opponent with lasers and gyros and poke with tilts. I then edge guard for the kill with WOP fairs or just bair, nair, Fsmash, upsmash, or even dair for the kill. R.O.B. has plenty of K.O. options as well.
Though I believe in defense in Brawl, I'd love to employ a more offensive strategy if I could make it work.

Christova

Smash Cadet
I main Zelda, and I've found that, depending on whether or not the opponent is range-heavy or range-limited (comparing, say, Falco to Ike), I take a defensive or aggressive approach, respectively. I harass with Din's Fire, chase people off the stage with it, and I'm a pretty good aim with my fair-bair-uair.

I also main Olimar now and I find the whole sub-game of Pikmin usage really interesting. I'm typically very aggressive as Olimar because he's such a small character with such great smashes and grabs that they're hard not to exploit.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
for my marth i always push the offense with a lot of fairs, bairs, dashes and end with dair or forward smash. when i play ike or other slow characters i play defence and take my shots when i can. my MK is the same as my marth, push until i can ko. overall i play based on what they do

Antinillus

Smash Rookie
I main Pit, and will camp when I have the opportunity, but normally play defensively. When given an opportunity, I will seize it quickly, but am still wary of counterattack.

Jink

Smash Apprentice
Letting my opponents know I play like a scrub for getting them to underestimate me and BOOM'em by complete surprise, hahaha...

Seriously, none, I think it is adaptive, not sure...

NeuralScan

Smash Cadet
Aggressive. I'm impatient. It doesn't work for Brawl but **** is it fun when it works. Pwning someone by rushing in and beating them to a pulp is much more satisfying than winning by standing there and reacting to everything, spamming projectiles etc. It's even more satisfying to beat someone who played defensively and still got ****ed up.

I like chasing off ledges. I don't care if it leads to my demise, but at least it's easier in Brawl than Melee - you can actually jump off pretty far, pull off a meteor and return using just your second jump with some characters.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm adaptive. I'm really good at breaking down other people's play styles.
If I'm facing someone new, usually they'll have me for a stock or two or possibly even game, but after that, it's all over and I can be them soundly

Robiin

Smash Cadet
With Diddy, I try to mindgame as much as i can with bananas. Throw them all over the place, until they get confused. That's when I beat the **** out of them

With Pit, I spam arrows. I know how annoying it can get, and I love it xD

With Meta Knight, I'm offensive, and much for aerials. I also tend to spam Mach Tornado, I love to annoy the enemy :)

With Toon Link, my main, I combine these styles, I can spam projectiles (gotta love those bombs), and I can be defensive. Every now and then I go crazy and play very offensive, with his forward and backward air, just to finish it off being suicidal with dair!

Kreeeee

Smash Cadet
I play Pit, Wolf, Toon Link and Zelda.

I like to force constant pressure with projectiles whilst keeping them just out of range so the can't hit me. I then react to their playstyles.

Killer-Spades

Smash Rookie
i'm pretty much unorthodox sometimes...i haven't really found my playstyle yet, i find openings when possible, and sometimes i'll back off for a bit of breathing room only to go in the next moment wreaking havoc, and if you ever have any rules you wanna turn on or play by(no items, no Smash balls, etc) i'll go with it...its all the same to me

Corigames

Smash Hero
Shoot arrows until the other person is forced to approach awkwardly. Then punish them for playing Brawl and having no good approach. Then knock them away and do it again. Repeat until victory.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I pretty much just move around, letting my ineffable instincts guide me to the tactically best location to be currently standing, and then choose moves to respond to the relational configuration of the two characters and the current terrain dynamic.

I suppose you need me to expand on how I choose the move, then. Well, I tend to go for a direct approach - to hit the guy. No funny business. I rarely try to manipulate my opponent around. At least, not consciously.
It arises, though (I can tell from playing Melee and analyzing myself consciously), that my attention to where the characters are standing eventually seeps into my procedural learning, such that I actually will use moves that put me in a better position, by putting other-guy in a not-better position.

So yeah... I aggro, I guess? I mean, unless my opponent has this really weak, sort of predictable style for which I know the best approach is to take it safe; I assume override control of my hands and really think out the match. It quickly becomes clear whether I can punish the opp for being all flash and no substance.

For me, I started out using hit-and-run tactics with Sonic and ranged attacks with Lucario. However, in preparation for this weekend, I've been trying to refine my playstyle with my mains. I want to play more conservatively with both Sonic and Lucario, so I've been using counter-tactics and mind games, but I still have a lot of practice to do.
To say something here, Sonic really runs contrary to my instincts, because his speed allows him to be standing pretty much anywhere you like at any time. I'm not used to that - I'm used to having to settle for 'the best place you can move to in a split second'.
From watching Sonic games, though, I can tell you really want to use that awesome run, to

(a) Withhold information from the opponent, specifically as to when and where you'll choose to strike (run. stop. run back, turn around. stop, run. Attack. Run. etc.)
(b) Dodge attacks (many cases it's better than an actual L-dodge, I've noted)

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman
I choose a character with a good/decent projectile and simply camp the whole match. That way I'll have an advantage during the fight and when my opponent final comes close to me I'll do a quick and random defensive move to regain my "spacing."

In short Brawl = camping and foot stooling and Melee = hit stun and combos

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
I kinda play well balanced. I play some defensive and then when I need to I play agressive. A lot of times a little more defensive, though, and I am trying to learn to be more offensive at it.

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
To start out, I play defensive and tricky by dodging/shielding and counter attacking. After "reading" my opponent's attacks and moves, I play accordingly against that style.
If I feel like it, I sometimes play like a complete copy cat, fighting fire with fire.

MaverickZer0

Smash Cadet
Counter-Assault. Dangle in to get them to bite into a move then dodge and punish them. Hit and Run tactics also apply

Mikey Free

Smash Rookie
I used to go for an all or nothing style with fast characters...i mean it worked but it was pretty reckless and i would mess up alot. I now go for a more defensive style with heavier characters and i'm loving it waaaaaaay more.

dedede ftw!

The Id

Smash Rookie
Most of the time I'm extremely agressive and will absolutely not let up my barrage of attacks (i.e. shiek, wolf, sonic). But when I'm falco, I play both defensively and agressively. If I'm wary of death or chaingrabbing from anyone (D3), I spam laser, reflector and dthrow. Agressive is more fun though.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I try to stay extremely unpredictable, whether that means being defensive or offensive. I'm just all over the place.

I lose a lot. I usually end up jumping and dodging into attacks.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I'm very flexible, and have lots of patience. Also my play style can vary greatly depending on the character I play, what character I'm playing against, and what stage I'm on.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Defensive

Since I main Ike I can't keep momentum up in an attack since his attacks are slow and laggy. So I typically play real defensive waiting for an opening or trying to break the opponent's momentum with a good counter or a dodge. Since Ike's moves kill at good percentages patience tends to pay off since he takes a while to take out himself.

Although if I take control of Marth or Shiek it's all out offensive as I try to keep my combo and momemntum going as long as I can.

Top Bottom