• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your favorite RPG?

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
the only rpg ive played is pokemon, although there was this short rpg game i had on my calculator.....really cool too for a calculator game.

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Craftstar
Is this a joke? The person who said this obviously had NO idea about RPGs--I mean, you're actually saying ALL RPGs have magic in thems? Thats completely untrue...
Allright, so I was wrong. The only RPG i've seen so far without Magic involved is somehow Fallout. And I HAVE an idea about RPG's because all of the RPG's that I have played have Magic involved. You don't even know how much RPG's I have beaten, so you shouldn't just say false things about me.

Hmmm Zelda is still sort of an RPG, here are the facts:

1. Hearts are supposed to be the Hit Points for Link
  2. Magic Bar at the upper left is supposed to be the Magic Points for Link
  3. Zelda is an "Action RPG", Link slashes his opponents and kills them without turns.
    [/list=1]

Allright, now here are the facts why Zelda isn't an RPG:
    • Link doesn't get Experience Points from defeated opponents
    • Link uses most of his items in a way to defeat opponents or solve up puzzles, the only other game I can think of that uses this the same is Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals, but the Lufia serie was released later than the Zelda serie

This comes to the conclusion that I today have started to believe that the Zelda serie is an SA Action RPG(Stand Alone), but in a different way in say, Seiken Densetsu III. From now on I will call the Zelda serie(and other series in the same way) an SA Action RPG while I will now call the Seiken Densetsu serie(and other series in the same way) an MM Action RPG(Multi Magic). SA Action RPG meaning doing the job alone while MM Action RPG meaning playing the game in Multiplayer(or with the AI NPC's)with much more Magic involved in a different way than for the Zelda serie.

Other SA Action RPG's are Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma and others.

Other MM Action RPG's are Baldur's Gate, possible Diablo(haven't played it good), Tales of Phantasia(but the fighting in a different way) and others.

So Craftstar, I apologize for saying that. I was probaply not paying attention when I typed that in the past.

Ganbare

Smash Apprentice
Final Fantasy Tactics, if tactical RPGs count.

Otherwise, Final Fantasy 7.

Instant classics, I've probably spent a week of my life on both of those games put together.

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
For those of you who don't know, RPG stands for Roll Playing Game. An RPG is a game in which you assume the life of a certain character and carry out actions in that character's life throughout the entire duration of the game. Two commom elements of RPG's are levels and magic, though these are not required for it to be an RPG. The main RPG's mentioned in this topic so far have been RPG/Adventure or "Action RPG". An example of a non-adventure RPG is "Harvest Moon" where the entire game takes place in a small town. Though there is some magic, and while your character doesn't gain levels, your tools do.

Magus

Lone Wolf
BRoomer
I don't like the "best ____" discussions on this site. 85% of the people here don't own anything but Nintendo consoles, so of course they're going to be in love with things on those systems.

However, I am of the opinion that PS1 (can't say PSX now since it's an actual console [ultra PS2]) has the best RPGs. FFVII. FFT. Star Ocean. Lunar (though those were originally on Sega CD). Legend of Mana. The only good RPGs on SNES are FFVI and Chrono Trigger. Honestly, Earthbound is terrible. The graphics are crap. The music is crap. I notice that in JMY's review he failed to put points into the most important category of all for an RPG -- story. And you know why? Because Earthbound doesn't have one.

That said, the generally agreed-upon "best RPG ever" on non-biased sites (such as GameFAQs and IGN Boards) is FFVII. In fact, FFVII is arguably the most popular game ever made.

Shadowwarrior88

Smash Ace
mines a 3-way tie between Golden Sun,Golden Sun:The Lost Age,and(don't you dare make a comment)Kingdom Hearts.play KH,and you'll find out it's awesome.

Marth_the_great9

Smash Rookie
i like the Final Fantasy games but i just love Kingdom Hearts cuz it funny seein' badass FF characters get the crap kick out of them by Goofy.:chuckle:

Atmablitz

Smash Apprentice
My favorite RPG of all time is Chrono Trigger. Good story, awesome graphics, and some of the best fighting you can ever find In a game.

But, the best would have to be FFVI. Overall, It was a fantastic and great game. Of course, FFVII changed the way we play RPG's, so I guess I should mention that.

Some other one's I could mention:

Final Fantasy Tactics: This game is great and fun to play. A nice Stratigy RPG game that can make you play for hours.

EarthBound: Magus, EarthBound is not a terrible game at all! It's extremely fun to play! Very attictive, and the music was fantastic and unique! So the story was weak, I can't go against that - but everything else makes up for it.

Well, there's tons of them. I guess I really can't name anymore, because I would leave so many out...

Game & Watch

Smash Lord
The best RPG I've played was Super Mario RPG: The legend of the 7 stars. The game was fantastic at the time since the SNES was teh latest system. It had lots of extra mini games, lots of different items, secerts & enemies. It was incredibly simple. The only way I got stuck was when I couldn't beat a boss guy or something. It was a type of game I wouldn't put away till I've beaten/gotten everything in the entire game.

LIL_yagi_POOP

Smash Journeyman
hmmm...well i like almost all of the final fantasy games....favorites are FF7 and FF2/4...people always ask me why 2/4 is my favorite, so i'll just tell u now so u dont have to ask...its because its my first RPG i ever played and i thought Kain was sick.
I also like Super Mario RPG, Crono Trigger, and Kingdom Hearts.
Im not sure if this game is a RPG, but ill post it anyways...Yu-GI-Oh Duelist of Roses...you can level up cards like u can in RPGs

KenshinSlayer

Smash Rookie
Some really great RPGs:

Star Ocean the Second Story (mulitple and interesting characters)
Super Mario: Legend of the 7 Stars (1st RPG I played, plus it has Mario and Bowser working together!)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Multiple characters and classes to choose from with a decent story)
Final Fantasy 6 (best FF story with great character development considereing the amount of them)
Final Fantasy 4 (old school FF with simplistic yet involving storyline, Kain and Cecil!)
Chrono Trigger (Time-traveling done right minus the infinite paradoxes you get anyways)
Valkryie Profile (the main storyline is good plus the backgrounds for every other character)
Baldur's Gate Series (Role playing at it's finest, decent story)
Plansecape: Torment (one of the best plotlines ever)
Earthbound (quirky with a story you'd never expect, pyschadelic I guess)

Best RPG of all time is Xenogears, best storyline period. That's all I want in an RPG.

Final Fantasies are over-rated, I wasn't very pleased with 7-9, but 10 was pretty decent and I'm playing through numero uno right now ^_^

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Final Fantasy III for the SNES (VI in Japan) was the game that turned me into a hardcore gamer.

A bunch of other SNES RPGs kicked arse - Final Fantasy IV, V, Super Mario RPG (mario + final fantasy = :love: ), and, of course, EarthBound!

I never really got a chance to play some of the great RPGs for PS1/PS2, unfortunately. I did play through Grandia II on the dreamcast, that game had the best battle system I've ever seen in an RPG game.

Of course, who could forget Pokemon? I've pretty much played all of the versions, but G/S were my favorites. I think I had over 80 hours of playtime, which is only probably rivaled by games such as SSBM, Final Fantasy III, and Super Mario World (for me, personally.)

Ah... such fond memories... :bee:

Geo

Smash Ace
LoD was fun but you had to constantly pay attention when you battled ( the whole button pushing thing for another attack I forget what it was called). That ruined the game for me thought it came in use for the bosses but yea......

FFT is my favorite......it's and RPG but the gameplay is just so much better. It would've been great if there was a world to roam around not just the designated points. SO many weapons and spells and oh man it was just so good.

tissue

Smash Ace
As everyone is saying, Super Mario RPG was the best. I loved Pokemon, and the Pokemon Trading Card Game (Though that might not really count). Guardian's Crusade for the PS1 was pretty good too. Anyone here played it?

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
Golden Sun pwnz you all! I bet GS2: The Lost Age also kicks major butt, but I sadly don't have it yet :(.

Chrono Trigger was also a pretty cool RPG, and very innovative it was in the style of battling. Super Mario RPG was also pretty great although I never could beat that game.

And who also could forget glorious Pokémon! The Pokémon games are also very innovative in the style of battling and the things that you had to do in that game. G/S versions were probably the best of them all like Giygas said.

Dark Zero

Smash Rookie
While the Final Fantasy series is the most interesting RPG series on the market, the battle system in Chrono Trigger did it for me.

I vote Chrono Trigger.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
ECK! Too hard..

Chrono Trigger is awesome. Chrono Cross is just as good.

The FF games are nice, right now I'm into 7...

KIngdom Hearts really was interesting, too.

Paper Mario? Meh, well, it's a good game, but Squarsoft wasn't behind it, so it could've been better.

Mario RPG would probably be my fav. Mostly because I love Mario and I love RPG's in general. Yep. Great game. But Chrono Trigger/Cross are definitely up there, too.

Dr. Donez

Smash Rookie
Breath Of Fire 4, well done characters, pretty good graphics(I like the 2D characters), a long well done original storyline (Like all BOFs), its just overlooked because for some strange reason Capcom doesn't advertise this great series much.

Myuutsu

Smash Rookie
mario rpg of course

hb, do you have some sort of birth defect? i mean, to say straight out, based on jack, that mrpg is the worst rpg ever... your mother must be your sister or something, eh?

DaNuGuy

Smash Cadet
Unlike most of youse I'll try hard and limit myself to my 4 very favorite RPGs. Super Mario RPG, Lufia 2, Breath of fire III, and Skies of Arcadia. In fact, I'll go and make a topic about that now!

Top Bottom