• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your favorite edgeguarding move?

Which do you feel is more satisfying?

• Total voters

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Edgeguarding is an integral part of smash brothers at all levels of play. Some characters live and die by their ability to edgeguard or how easy they are to edgeguard. I thought it would be cool to ask the community what everyone's favorite edgeguarding move is and to discuss the many aspects that pertain to it. Possible topics of discussion: :?:

favorite edgeguarding move?
:joyful::joyful:
What's your Hardest (but most satisfying) move to edgeguard with?:chuckle:

Which character has the best/worst edgeguard game?
:roll:
Who do you find is your favorite character to edgeguard (Mac doesn't count)? Or do you hate to edgeguard?

Most effective method with your character?:smash:

Pretty much anything edgeguard related that you feel like talking about.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I feel that DK's most defining feature in this game is his ability to edgeguard above anything else he does. That being said my favorite spike of his would have to be the hand slaps. I can't tell you how many people I have gimped with that move.

Probably his most reliable edge guard technique is the dreaded b-air. It combos into itself in one hop and can be used to drag your opponent all the way to the blast zone

EDIT: apologies if this counts as double posting. Didn't realize it did until I posted.

Last edited:

ChefKef

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hayesey
3DS FC
3368-2641-2915
Stage-spike dash attacks are amazing with Mario, but landing fair when you're opponent abuses ledge poorly is also fun. Although, there is the flush, (pushing into the side blast box with F.L.U.D.D) which is always fun, wow. Mario has a lot of options.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
This misdirection with Villager's fSmash and Lloyd rocket combo.

Basically, sending out a Lloyd rocket at a certain time can force your opponent to only think about air dodging it, therefore, missing the first opportunity to grab the ledge. He's probably thinking about only getting back on stage at any cost since he missed the ledge the first time, which means, he's not thinking about the inevitable bowling ball of death that can K.O around <90 / >40 that falls straight down. With stages like omega Boxing Ring or omega Golden Plains (any stage without an opening under the stage), it works best. Your opponent will run into a wall, forcing him downwards at a 90 degree angle, the prefect angle for bowling ball.

Even if he jumps over the Lloyd rocket, and depending on when you start charging fSmash, your opponent might air dodge closer to the ledge thinking you were gonna drop it as soon as he gets close, but nah. Again, with certain omega stages, your opponent will run into the wall, stopping his trajectory, forcing him downwards with bowling ball on the chase.

One of the many reasons why I freaking love Villager. But it doesn't work for every character, mainly on the ones with recoveries that grants them invisibility or with deflecting moves if your opponent takes the risk. Then you have things like pocketing Ness and Lucas' PK Thunder, which is always fun. ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°. I swear it's one of the most satisfying feelings in the game.

Last edited:

TheGlamourGroup

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGlamourGroup
3DS FC
4012-5262-5536
My favorite is either PK Flash or Freeze. Favorite character to with edgeguard is Ness, and most effective method is Flash. I also love spikes, even though its so hard to do.

Last edited:

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Stage-spike dash attacks are amazing with Mario, but landing fair when you're opponent abuses ledge poorly is also fun. Although, there is the flush, (pushing into the side blast box with F.L.U.D.D) which is always fun, wow. Mario has a lot of options.
Not to mention his fair looks like he is doing a slam dunk with the force of a thousand shaq's lol

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
I dont know if it can spike, but I love how hype Ganons UP Tilt at edge is.

Its not easy to land but, it is incredibly satisfying when you land it.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Spikes is my overall favorite edge guarding move as it is the most satisfying in the game. What's even more satisfying is that my mains can spike. :chuckle:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Personally I enjoy using Dedede's Gordos to edgeguard the most.

I don't know why but there's quite a lot of people who expect you to smack it straight toward them, which makes it easier to surprise the opponent when you do the up action that makes it bounce in place (or if in the air go straight down). I even find it greatly satisfying when I use a Gordo and it happens to smack them so perfectly that they bounce off the edge only to get smacked by it a second time! Even more so when I make it bounce in place at the edge and they decide to just hang there and wait, but.......

...SURPRISE! That third and final bounce ends up smacking them due to the lack of edge invincibility at that point. Of course, the Gordos don't get all the praise. That inhale is also pretty excellent sometimes too if you catch my drift...

As for spikes, I REALLY love doing ROBs spike a lot. It can be hard for me to do sometimes but I manage. I've actually managed to spike a Palutena with it once who was trying to recover and used her warp... She warped right into it and it sent her straight down. It was one of those "The Smash Gods smiled down upon me" moments as I will probably never pull off that kind of thing again.

I haven't been able to top that ROB spike yet as it's been one of the best ones I've ever done.

Last edited:

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
My favorite move to edgeguard is the raptor boost. It's such a satisfying move to land even though it's risky. Shulk's bair is nice too, I've killed so many pesky top tier characters.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The Can. Unquestionably the best edgeguard move in the entire series.
Honorable mention to R.O.B.'s Gyro and his Dair. Gyrospiking fools is always fun ;)

Last edited:

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I dont know if it can spike, but I love how hype Ganons UP Tilt at edge is.

Its not easy to land but, it is incredibly satisfying when you land it.
It has deceptive range and apparently for some reason sucks you into it (make of that what you will lol)

Personally I enjoy using Dedede's Gordos to edgeguard the most.

I don't know why but there's quite a lot of people who expect you to smack it straight toward them, which makes it easier to surprise the opponent when you do the up action that makes it bounce in place (or if in the air go straight down). I even find it greatly satisfying when I use a Gordo and it happens to smack them so perfectly that they bounce off the edge only to get smacked by it a second time! Even more so when I make it bounce in place at the edge and they decide to just hang there and wait, but.......

...SURPRISE! That third and final bounce ends up smacking them due to the lack of edge invincibility at that point. Of course, the Gordos don't get all the praise. That inhale is also pretty excellent sometimes too if you catch my drift...

As for spikes, I REALLY love doing ROBs spike a lot. It can be hard for me to do sometimes but I manage. I've actually managed to spike a Palutena with it once who was trying to recover and used her warp... She warped right into it and it sent her straight down. It was one of those "The Smash Gods smiled down upon me" moments as I will probably never pull off that kind of thing again.

I haven't been able to top that ROB spike yet as it's been one of the best ones I've ever done.
DDD has a mean edgeguard game and due to his up B, he is practically impossible to edgeguard himself. Defiantly one of his stronger areas.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Spikes are my favorite way to kill in SSB, period, so I definitely get hyped for some Ganondorf edgeguarding.

That said, I also love charging Ike's Eruption and firing it down through the ledge at the last possible second to hit an opponent just before they snap the ledge. It takes some serious timing and prediction to hit some characters, but seeing your opponent finally get back to the stage only to get blasted off the top of the screen is priceless.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Favorite character to edgeguard? ROB all the way. Keeping him off until his fuel runs out, then watching him fall to his doom, fruitlessly spamming bair. Perfect time to taunt, too.

Favorite to edgieguard with? Kirby. Because offstage dair to offstage dair to foostool is hilarious.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Favorite character to edgeguard? ROB all the way. Keeping him off until his fuel runs out, then watching him fall to his doom, fruitlessly spamming bair. Perfect time to taunt, too.

Favorite to edgieguard with? Kirby. Because offstage dair to offstage dair to foostool is hilarious.
I didn't know Kirby could do that, is it a consistent combo?

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I didn't know Kirby could do that, is it a consistent combo?
Not a combo, just consistant when they can't get a hitbox out to stop your chasing. Dair to footstool is an actual thing, though if you mash jump after dair.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
You sound like you must be great fun at parties.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Pit's down smash and Ryu's light attacks

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
There will never be a pleasure more absolute than F.L.U.D.D.ing an unsuspecting opponent while there recovering and watching then slowly drift down to their death as they wonder what the **** just happened. Honorable mention goes to the Kobe.
Wall of Pain-ing somebody with Jigglypuff is a close second.

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
falloff bairs with mega man, or a well timed z drop metal blade are always fun. with ike, the eruption, and sometimes a falloff bair right below the stage lip.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I'm hearing a lot of Ike and his eruption lately being a favorite.

I'll say though that if any of you play with customs on you know how fun it is to play with wind box shinanigins lol. I love DK's wind donkey punch, especially when I don't even charge it and I BARELY push you JUST out of reach of the ledge lol.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Eruption is very satisfying to land, especially when it's fully charged when you land it. Your victim doesn't even have time to wonder what happened.

Honorable mentions go to Ledge-trumped B-air kills (Anyone who has seen Ryo pull this off knows how hype this can be) and getting a Counter KO off of someone's attempt to Shark as they recovery. :joyful:

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Favorite edgeguarding move: FALCON PUNCH!!!
2nd favorite: Wario's neutral b(Chomp)

Anyway, Stage spiking feels so satisfying and it arguably takes more skill and it's just so funny to see a character bounce on the stage than go downwards lol. Sonic's spring is my favorite move to stage spike with.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've been working on some new Rosalina tech that I hope to publicly reveal before too long. It pretty much makes her edgeguading game unbeatable.

I have had a lot of fun surprising people with it online. They never know what hit them.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Dolphin Slash, helps you recover and seems to stage spike at ridiculously low percentages as long as the opponent makes contact with the bottom or side of a stage.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh do tell us!!!
I won't be talking about it in public now. I've told two friends about it for now, but that's it. I'm making a video on the subject as soon as I can, but I have other more important things to worry about first. It will be done when it is done.

I know the front page likes covering new tech. If people like it enough when I finally get the video done, then you will most likely see it there.

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
Using Jet Hammer or Dedede's dash attack on a foe hanging from the ledge thinking they're safe is really satisfying. Also inhaling them, spitting them out near the lower blast zone, then returning to the stage as if nothing happened.

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
As an Ike main Eruption is hugely satisfying and has deceptive range both up and down. I even managed to spike with it once; it was like seeing a unicorn or something. Reversing edgeguard attempts with Aether is pretty great too.
Also, I'm not sure if it counts, but gimping with Mac is the most satisfying thing in the universe. No one expects Mac to leave the stage and his aerials pushes them far enough away so that they just miss the ledge. Not an air fighter indeed.

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
As much as I love taking everyone out of the stage with Jigglypuff, I would say that Palutena's edge guard game is my favorite. Using the smash windboxes and the reflector to make the miss the ledge is hilarious :D

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Really weak gimps. Runoff fair where the last hit misses, uncharged shot, the back hit of nair, or just bombs with Samus. Leaf shield with megaman. Nair->fair with villager. Mario's cape. I just think it's hilarious watching someone fall helplessly to their death.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Ganon's Up Tilt (a.k.a. the fearsome Volcano Kick). Nuff said.

Also, stage-spiking a recovering opponent with a Wario Waft is always awesome:troll:

Zeepington

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeeper
Just go someone with a strong back-air, wait till the guy grabs the ledge, proceed to grab it so he can fly off, back air at high %, win.

Last edited:
Top Bottom