• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your controller setup?

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I have tap jump off, so that I can do AGT with upwards velocity and maintain a second jump. I have to press Y before doing out of shield stuff like Up B and UpSmash now.

Also, since I never use X to jump, I switched it to footstool to facilitate potential footstool -> dair combos. It's stylish.

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
I have R as grab and x as taunt/footstool

GMaster171

Smash Ace
I got R as jump, but thats really just from using Ness, still comfortable to WD sometimes using R->L. Footstool is X, but i still never hit that button. Tap jump on, I'v never had a problem doing AGT up even with it. mhm.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Default. Always have always will :).

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
I always go default. :p
Sadly, I have yet to competely master AGT Bomb Jumping. I can do it with Link on occasion, but I haven't had too much luck with Tink's Bomb Jumps yet. Just gotta get faster, I suppose. /nojohns

Edit: Daze's guide has helped A LOT, however.

EDIT: Turns out it was probably a controller issue. My controllers are super janky and old-- I tried bomb-jumping with the Nunchuck and I can actually pull it off with Tink. It's not as hard as I expected. I need new controllers, lol

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I just have tap jump off and L set to normal attack for DACUS... Link's DACUS is pretty good. Umm what's footstool?

Also for some reason I can only do the AGT Bomb Jump consistently at lower damages with Link. I'm very inconsistent with getting hit by the bomb. It sometimes just bounces right off the sword when he hits it and it annoys the crap out of me. I can do Toon Link's pretty much everytime. I wonder if they can fix it so that Link always blows the bomb up when he hits it. That would fix so many of my recovery problems! lol

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Default for life.

ZL to UpTaunt when I'm screwing around with the Classic Controller though. And something else really weird on paper when I'm using a fightstick.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
Wiimote+Nunchuck
C-grab , Z-sheild, up arrow- upsmash, left/right arrow - side smash, down arrow - jump, A+B is taunt/footstool. no tap jump.
Set up plus plays like claw method gives two finger digits to press A and B . (good for my lucario)
Set up minus no mash out/Crouch cancel dsmash (rather its dificult) no instant dair.

Glitches?
only for characters who can crawl if you are crawling and you press up-arrow or left/right arrow durring the crawl you do a down smash. kinda want this glitch to stay it lets me kinda CC dsmash with lucario and Zss.

If you press A+B you do what ever you have A+B set to, my case uptaunt, but when you release one button you do the other buttons attack. example with my button set up. I do A+B to footstool but if I let go of the A button to early i do a B attack, ussually nB. If i let go of B too early I do an A attack, ussually nair.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Always default. I experimented with other various conrtol setups, but default is the most comfortable for me. I'm trying out classic controller default setup as my gc controller is breaking down :(, and I seem to wavedash with it comfortably.

X-13

Smash Rookie
i'm still tinkering with controls but as of now, I have Attack set to R for Dacus purposes. I have footstool set to Y and Tap Jump off.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Tap Jump disabled.

R set to Attack for DACUS

X set to Grab for easy JC grabs (mostly for Marth and Falcon and Ike and Roy and... ya.) and Zair and bomb catches because the Z button is awkward.

Z set to whatever I feel like screwing around with at the time to help me Up-B out of shield more consistently, but usually forgotten about within a match.

Third

Smash Rookie
Y Side Taunt/Footstool. Who knows, it might come in handy one day.
D-Pad all shield or jump, so when I mash I can mash out of grabs faster since those inputs help get out of grab.
Tap Jump off.

cmloe

Smash Cadet
I have tap jump off, so that I can do AGT with upwards velocity and maintain a second jump. I have to press Y before doing out of shield stuff like Up B and UpSmash now.

Also, since I never use X to jump, I switched it to footstool to facilitate potential footstool -> dair combos. It's stylish.
How do you do up b and upsmash out of shield with tap jump off? I press y and do the attack and sometimes i will get what i want but a lot of times i will just do a grab.

Third

Smash Rookie
How do you do up b and upsmash out of shield with tap jump off? I press y and do the attack and sometimes i will get what i want but a lot of times i will just do a grab.
To attack out of shield, you have to jump cancel the shield then attack in the frames when you're still grounded. I think there's a six frame space for Link or something like that, so you have to do it rather quickly to be successful.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

You can AGT upwards without wasting a jump. I play default and have no problem doing this.

PZ Crawfish

Smash Rookie
Default minus tap jump, there isn't really a reason to change it that applies to how I play

Third

Smash Rookie
You can Up B OoS with regular controls and tap jump off by just flicking the C-stick up while in shield to buffer a jump and then quickly slide your finger over to B with the control stick up.

D

Deleted member

Default. I use L for wave dashing, l-canceling, and all my other shielding needs. R trigger is for bomb recovering, aerial glide tossing, and tricky zair shenanigans. I also short hop with the control stick for easily dropping bombs on the ground without exploding. Using tap jump also helps with aerial's out of shield for me. I use X for jump instead of Y because it feels awkward for me.

My setup is a bit strange since I use both triggers and tap jump unlike most players I've seen.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Wiimote+Nunchuck
C-grab , Z-sheild, up arrow- upsmash, left/right arrow - side smash, down arrow - jump, A+B is taunt/footstool. no tap jump.
Set up plus plays like claw method gives two finger digits to press A and B . (good for my lucario)
Set up minus no mash out/Crouch cancel dsmash (rather its dificult) no instant dair.

Glitches?
only for characters who can crawl if you are crawling and you press up-arrow or left/right arrow durring the crawl you do a down smash. kinda want this glitch to stay it lets me kinda CC dsmash with lucario and Zss.

If you press A+B you do what ever you have A+B set to, my case uptaunt, but when you release one button you do the other buttons attack. example with my button set up. I do A+B to footstool but if I let go of the A button to early i do a B attack, ussually nB. If i let go of B too early I do an A attack, ussually nair.
Interesting set-up for your nunchuk there. I am a nunchuk too so I know the ins and outs. The one problem your set-up has is that you can't pull out a bomb while holding attack down so you can do an f-smash even with the bomb in your hand.
I recommend you set the 1 or 2 button to attack so you can one of those down with your palm to perform that tech.

My nunchuk set-up is;

Up arrow-up smash
Right/left arrow- side smash
down arrow-shield
A-special
B-attack
A+B-Special
1-up taunt
2-down taunt
1+2-side taunt
C-grab
Z-jump

Tap jump is off
Shake smash is on. Yes, I can do it consistently.

EDIT: I made a mistake explaining to you about the tech. With your set-up, you can't perform a special while holding the attack button down because the wiichuk will mistake it for a taunt/footstool.

J3f

Smash Cadet
Default, tap jumping included. I use the C-stick and L to do Zairs.

Top Bottom