• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is there to like in a song that's not catchy?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I love catchy songs that are enjoyable to listen to, have good lyrics, and aren't too boring or repetitive.

Some songs aren't catchy at all, and I dont understand what people like in those songs.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Holy hell if it was anyone else I'd think they were joking

Emotion

Songwriting ability

Technical ability

Innovativeness

If you think that catchiness is the only part of a song then you are missing so goddamn much

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I love catchy songs that are enjoyable to listen to, have good lyrics, and aren't too boring or repetitive.

Some songs aren't catchy at all, and I dont understand what people like in those songs.
Music is emotions that are crafted into sound. Listening to different types of music helps me cope with emotions that I otherwise have no outlet for, and helps me appreciate and relive the blissful emotions in my life even more. It's more than just entertainment in a way, it's therapy.

Sometimes it's fun to put on a song and just enjoy the catchy melody or progression, but those same progressions speak to me on a much deeper level than that. It calms me when I'm angry and takes the weight off of depressive times.

The more I go through life the more feelings I experience that I simply cannot communicate to another person with words or pictures, and that's why music is so important. It is expression, self-expression and cultural expression. There are so many ideas, so many sensations and thoughts and feelings that, for many people, must be expressed and communicated to other humans if we are to ever be an understanding and empathetic species.

I listen to all the different types of music as I possibly can, because it's windows into other types of people, of cultures and societies. A good gospel song can move me to tears, and I'm an atheist. Just as a hard gangster rap song is a window into the reality of a subculture, and if you let it take hold of you it's a way to understand and empathize with people you would not otherwise ever even think about.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Emotion, and in religious music, spirituality. The vocals of a singer combined with the beauty of the instruments express emotion that can't be expressed any other way. The lyrics may also hit a soft spot in your heart.

For an example, Britt Nicole is one of my favorite singers. She has some catchy fun songs, but she also writes some emotional and uplifting songs that the listener can connect with and understand.

From a Christian perspective, there is music that pleases the flesh, and music that pleases the spirit. Music that pleases the flesh would be those catchy dance songs on the radio, while music that pleases the spirit may not be as catchy, but will cause you to look into the lyrics and feel the emotion the artist is expressing.

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
When you listen to enough music, a lot of stuff that is 'catchy' will sound incredibly boring and repetitive due to the fact that these types of songs are meant to stay in your head. Songwriting in this form is incredibly addictive to people who just want a catchy 4/4 beat with a pretty face and depthless bull**** lyrics as long as they don't have to think twice about it; ie: a good amount of modern radio hip-hop, most contemporary country music, and radio pop. These songs are meant to make money by word of mouth and making sure the listener is dragged in by a repetitive manipulative sound structure so you will remember it longer and be more likely to know what it is, ergo, more likely to purchase the song/album. This is why this tactic is implemented in advertisement. By using 2-3 lined hooks, and short happy melodies, they are able to put these songs into your head with ease and (for these who are weak minded and or easily manipulated) it will remind you to try their product.

For people with more distinguished taste, this is a travesty. People that churn out this music for the masses are molesters of the arts. Such 'artists' like: Drake; Taylor Swift; J Beibs; Riff Raff; One Direction; etc. These people and groups are products to be sold to people that just want a quick listening experience on their morning commute to work, and cannot be ****ed to listen to works with more substance with arrhythmic beats or counterpoints or any complex sequencing.

Basically just try and expand your horizons past listening to music as a buffer for your walk to work, or only listening to music to make you feel happy and/or accomplished or whatever. Okay rant over, peace.

tl;dr: just please read it

Deathconsciousness

Banned via Administration
When you listen to enough music, a lot of stuff that is 'catchy' will sound incredibly boring and repetitive due to the fact that these types of songs are meant to stay in your head. Songwriting in this form is incredibly addictive to people who just want a catchy 4/4 beat with a pretty face and depthless bull**** lyrics as long as they don't have to think twice about it; ie: a good amount of modern radio hip-hop, most contemporary country music, and radio pop. These songs are meant to make money by word of mouth and making sure the listener is dragged in by a repetitive manipulative sound structure so you will remember it longer and be more likely to know what it is, ergo, more likely to purchase the song/album. This is why this tactic is implemented in advertisement. By using 2-3 lined hooks, and short happy melodies, they are able to put these songs into your head with ease and (for these who are weak minded and or easily manipulated) it will remind you to try their product.

For people with more distinguished taste, this is a travesty. People that churn out this music for the masses are molesters of the arts. Such 'artists' like: Drake; Taylor Swift; J Beibs; Riff Raff; One Direction; etc. These people and groups are products to be sold to people that just want a quick listening experience on their morning commute to work, and cannot be ****ed to listen to works with more substance with arrhythmic beats or counterpoints or any complex sequencing.

Basically just try and expand your horizons past listening to music as a buffer for your walk to work, or only listening to music to make you feel happy and/or accomplished or whatever. Okay rant over, peace.

tl;dr: just please read it
stopped reading at "for people with more distinguished taste" tbh

Deathconsciousness

No, it's not. You're not better than anyone because you listen to "hurr hurr real music that rekwires talent and real instruments LMS IF YOU'RE BORN IN THE WRONG GENERATION!!"

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
I never said that, nor was it implied

All I said is that people that listen to those types of artists and fall victim to advertisement campaigns are obviously not as musically inclined as those who listen to more complex thought provoking music.

Deathconsciousness

Complex and thought provoking? Like King Crimson and Death Grips, right? lol. thanks for playing.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Complex and thought provoking? Like King Crimson and Death Grips, right? lol. thanks for playing.
You're trying way too hard to make this an actual argument. XD

To me, one of my favorite parts of music is just how far people are willing to take it. I suppose that's why I'm not into pop or country, considering most of the songs in those genres have about as much progression as a snail race. Rock, rap, metal, electronic, acoustic, etc. are always changing, evolving and introducing new concepts, both lyrically and instrumentally. If an artist can make their song catchy, okay, good for them. But the ones I'll remember will be the ones to do it differently, take a new direction, and still capture an essence and emotion. Yes, even things like IDM, Death Metal, Thug Rap, etc can capture such an essence, and as a listener, that's what I look for.

Hope that helped a bit. :bee:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
wow you are really really a douche.

anyways, I can't say I necessarily agree with the idea that any one type of music is more worthful than any one other type. I don't honestly believe that the amount of work going into a product of music changes that products worthiness. Would you tell a 15 year old girl who copes with her own life listening Beyonce's, or Kelly Clarkson's, or hell even someone like Ke$ha's music that it is valueless garbage because most of those songs are formulaic and manufactured? I mean, sure, someone like deathconsciousness would, but my point here is that the circumstances of a song's creation are irrelevant in most cases. I won't lie, there are many 'vapid' 'talentless' 'artificial' pop songs whose melodies and progressions and yes even lyrics (sometimes) have moved or touched me in some way. i don't care if 10 guys wrote and workshopped a song and sold it to a pretty popstar. songs (and all art) have value that lies out of the artist's atmosphere. once a song's released into the world, it no longer belongs to its creator above all things, it becomes property of everyone who listens to it and if you hear a song and project your own personal feelings and experience onto it, disregarding the sincerity or insincerity of the artist who created it...well, thats the whole point of music to me.

edit: i mean hell, Behold the Arctopus is one of the most musically complex bands I've ever listened to, and they are utter soulless garbage to me, and i'd rather listen to Tik Tok a trillion times before sit through one of their songs ever again. Tik Tok makes me feel an identifiable human emotion, Behold the Arctopus makes me feel like i'm supposed to stroke my goatee and jerk off about how complicated and difficult the music is to make. certainly doesn't make me feel feelings. except annoyed.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Gotta applaud Blue for putting himself out there to ask such a troll-garnering question.

As someone who kind of tended to rag on the songs you posted and smh'd at your ratings of others in the 'rate the song' thread, I think the ultimate purpose that you should find from everyone's responses is that when you listen to music you haven't heard before, and you find that it's unfamiliar or doesn't fit right in your alley, you should at least attempt to identify what it is the music is trying to do or what purpose it can serve to you. While you can say you don't like whatever the hell you want, it's hard for me to believe that there are so few things that can bring enjoyment to you through music beyond an earworm of a beat or a melody. I would encourage you to find what some other things you enjoy can be and to realize that you're a listener capable of expanding your palette. Finding new things to love should be a hobby of everyone :)

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice

anyways, I can't say I necessarily agree with the idea that any one type of music is more worthful than any one other type. I don't honestly believe that the amount of work going into a product of music changes that products worthiness. Would you tell a 15 year old girl who copes with her own life listening Beyonce's, or Kelly Clarkson's, or hell even someone like Ke$ha's music that it is valueless garbage because most of those songs are formulaic and manufactured? I mean, sure, someone like deathconsciousness would, but my point here is that the circumstances of a song's creation are irrelevant in most cases. I won't lie, there are many 'vapid' 'talentless' 'artificial' pop songs whose melodies and progressions and yes even lyrics (sometimes) have moved or touched me in some way. i don't care if 10 guys wrote and workshopped a song and sold it to a pretty popstar. songs (and all art) have value that lies out of the artist's atmosphere. once a song's released into the world, it no longer belongs to its creator above all things, it becomes property of everyone who listens to it and if you hear a song and project your own personal feelings and experience onto it, disregarding the sincerity or insincerity of the artist who created it...well, thats the whole point of music to me.

edit: i mean hell, Behold the Arctopus is one of the most musically complex bands I've ever listened to, and they are utter soulless garbage to me, and i'd rather listen to Tik Tok a trillion times before sit through one of their songs ever again. Tik Tok makes me feel an identifiable human emotion, Behold the Arctopus makes me feel like i'm supposed to stroke my goatee and jerk off about how complicated and difficult the music is to make. certainly doesn't make me feel feelings. except annoyed.
If what I said came off like that to you then my bad lol. I just meant that sonically it's obvious music like what you listed doesn't compare to other specific works that aren't 'catchy'. But in terms of depth and value for its lyricism? That's almost entirely subjective. Of course I could argue the fact that some lyrics aren't as deep as others but it's not gonna do any good, and that's not even the point I'm trying to make. I know a bunch of RHCP songs that I love to death and stir up a lot of emotions in me, but do I think they have the best songwriting or lyricism even? Hell no! All I was saying is that I want more people (possibly including the OP) to expand their tastes a bit, and to give more music a chance and listen to it for different reasons.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
And to drive his point home - I feel the exact opposite about the things in question. Tik Tok sounds like someone at the pop-song factory pulled a lever and out came some premade single in a box, wrapped and ready to go. It's vapid, soulless, and bordering on being anti-music to my ears. On the other hand I can appreciate Behold The Arctopus' maze-like song structures. I'm not listening to it for the sake of it being complex, but the complexity really brings out a playfully sinister touch that a more minimalist approach couldn't. Neither of us is wrong, it's just that we're having subjectively different experiences with it.

You should explore all art as much as you can to find out what you personally like. If you listen to music just because it's catchy, you could maybe start with the parts of a genre that have a more pop-like touch to it and then delve deeper once you get your feet wet. Dismissing an entire genre just because it seems bad at a distance is a good way to miss a lot of music you'd probably enjoy.

Deathconsciousness

Would you tell a 15 year old girl who copes with her own life listening Beyonce's, or Kelly Clarkson's, or hell even someone like Ke$ha's music that it is valueless garbage because most of those songs are formulaic and manufactured? I mean, sure, someone like deathconsciousness would.
Reported, and swing and a miss, if you were really as investigative as you come off as, you would know that no, I'm not a ****ing music elitist; I wouldn't say that kind of stuff to anybody.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
hey, i don't care, stop talking to me.

You should explore all art as much as you can to find out what you personally like. If you listen to music just because it's catchy, you could maybe start with the parts of a genre that have a more pop-like touch to it and then delve deeper once you get your feet wet. Dismissing an entire genre just because it seems bad at a distance is a good way to miss a lot of music you'd probably enjoy.
this is what it really comes down to. listening to just pop music is like reading nothing but magazines your entire life...sure, there are plenty of people who do that but they are bad and should be ashamed. why confine yourself to one singular comfort-zone of life? music can be an adventurous experience if you are willing. there are so many different cultures and viewpoints and emotions to explore that pop music simply fails to express.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Reported, and swing and a miss, if you were really as investigative as you come off as, you would know that no, I'm not a ****ing music elitist; I wouldn't say that kind of stuff to anybody.
I think we'd be able to appreciate, or at least come close to respecting your opinion if you didn't post with an overwhelmingly narcissistic and childish style, leaving nothing in terms of reasonably backed-up opinions. Maybe if you gave a better, more detailed description of your own opinion instead of triggering arguments by leaving snarky replies to others' posts, we'd be able to maybe respect where you're coming from.

On Topic: LT and Ben pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one, that's as good an answer as one could possibly give.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i think we all just need to calm down and make the most of the night like we're gonna die young

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
wow it sure is /mu/ in here or something

Anyway, BlueXenon it really depends on the song/album. Not everything has to be "catchy," some things could just have really interesting sounds. People often use words like "strange," "weird," "bizarre," etc. to describe some music they hear. Some people like weird, unfamiliar things. On the other hand, tons of people like familiarity.

Take Bob Dylan for instance. Lots of people hate his voice and think of it as nasally and annoying, while others think of his voice as sincere and emotional and his songwriting style genius.

I believe the word you're searching for is

>opinions

Deathconsciousness

wow it sure is /mu/ in here or something

Anyway, BlueXenon it really depends on the song/album. Not everything has to be "catchy," some things could just have really interesting sounds. People often use words like "strange," "weird," "bizarre," etc. to describe some music they hear. Some people like weird, unfamiliar things. On the other hand, tons of people like familiarity.

Take Bob Dylan for instance. Lots of people hate his voice and think of it as nasally and annoying, while others think of his voice as sincere and emotional and his songwriting style genius.

I believe the word you're searching for is

>opinions
>greentexting outside of 4chan with the incorrect text color

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I didn't realize this thread got so many replies since I last checked. I thought I would get an alert the next time someone replies. Thankyou to everyone who gave appropriate answers.

My taste in music has changed so much since I created this thread. I can't listen to artists like Kelly Clarkson or Evanescence anymore. The only pop music I can currently enjoy is usually from Kesha, Train, or Katy Perry. I am also listening to a lot more electronic music. I still pay attention to catchiness in songs a lot more than anything else, but i'm working on that.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Read through everything, so what I'm going to say is essentially gonna regurgitate what's been posted.

Catchy is something that is subjected. Something that sounds like a baby crying maybe music to someone's ears. With that being said, when I do listen to music outside my typical tastes, I do acknowledge when I see an artist trying something different from the typical rift raft. From the people I've asked who listen to mainly radio music, they really don't care about the lyrics as much as the "sound". As some have mentioned, they are not going out, seeking other music. So whatever comes on the radio, they deem catchy to their ears, and that's how mainstream music gets to stay.

What I have found is that music that doesn't sound catchy, tends to have a bit more meaning with their lyrics. Sometimes, you have to actually analyze and look into it at a deeper glance, which can be quite exciting in trying to decipher what the artist is getting at. I do believe that outside the "sound", lyrics play a pivotal role, because that's what makes music easier to relate too. So whether a song is about politics or heart break, finding it somehow to link back to you can sort of enhance your listening experience.

Black Thought from Fort Minor put it best. "I guess one man's trash is the next man's treasure."

Djent

Smash Champion
When I first asked myself this question, I immediately thought of counterexamples that show catchiness isn't everything. When you're watching a movie or playing a game, the score is definitely affecting your mood, even if most of the stuff you're hearing doesn't stay "stuck in your head." If you were to play or watch with only ambient environmental sound, you wouldn't have as profound an experience. That's not to downplay the importance of catchiness - it's just that it's only one valid way of experiencing emotion through music.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
As someone who listens to mostly atonal music, I can tell you that catchiness isn't for me. Some people don't like music that's predictable, and so they'd rather listen to something challenging rather than something that's catchy.

Not to say that one kind of music is better than another. Just one reason why someone might listen to something that isn't catchy.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
As someone who listens to mostly atonal music, I can tell you that catchiness isn't for me. Some people don't like music that's predictable, and so they'd rather listen to something challenging rather than something that's catchy.
How can music be challenging?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
How can music be challenging?
You could think of it like the difference between fruit and vegetables. Fruit is usually sweet, and most people enjoy it the first time they try it. Vegetables, on the other hand (certain kinds, at least), are not sweet, and most people didn't like them at first. But you can learn to like the taste of vegetables, even though they're not sweet, and lots of people end up liking vegetables more than fruit.

Music is similar to this. You have music that's very easy to listen to (catchy or accessible), and you have music that's not easy to listen to, and everything in between. The people who like music that's less accessible often like it because it's interesting to them rather than because it sounds "nice." What makes certain kinds of music challenging is that to enjoy it, you have to think about it. It might be that the music that sounds nice at first, but has a deeper layer that you wouldn't find unless you look for it (Classical music is like this, and so is some of the music mentioned in earlier posts). Or It might be that the music doesn't make any sense at first (a lot of 20th century art music is like this), but after listening a few times and paying special attention to some aspect like the harmony or structure, you'll find something very interesting or meaningful about the music. Music like this isn't something you can put in the background while you do something else, and it usually doesn't belong at a party. It takes work to listen to it (hence the word challenging), but the people who learn to like it usually end up liking it a whole lot, and sometimes they find that it changes who they are.

Also, I loved Luigitoilet's analogy of the magazine. Listening to challenging music is like reading a difficult book. You have to put work into it, but it's worth the trouble!

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou for explaining. I don't agree with your fruit analogy though. I always liked vegetables more than fruit.
I hate reading books full of symbolism and complex sentences. That is probably the same reason why I don't enjoy some types of music.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I'm actually the opposite way at this point XD. Now, I actively look for some form of underlying meaning or complexity if the song doesn't already have an apparent one, and anything stubbornly simple usually gets to me in a bad way, especially lyrically. Straightforward lyrics feel like no effort was put into them, mostly because we've all heard them before at this point.

Example of simple lyrics: Ke$ha - Tik Tok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6XpLQM2Cs
It's very predictable in its delivery, as well as "party like crazy" lyrics that are impossible to relate to unless you're an upper class 20-something year old girl who can afford to party 24-7, with absolutely no clever approach to it whatsoever. It's blunt, to the point, and overall just boring imo.

Example of complex lyrics: The Mountain Goats - Woke Up New
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bSdRizGYb0
Not only is the context easy to relate to (the post-breakup empty house), he uses more symbolic scenarios to show his feelings, which are summed up by the chorus, in a way. There doesn't need to be anything complex musically, because the story being told is, in it's way, complex and emotionally gripping.

To be honest, the lyrics are probably the easiest way to start when first looking into musical complexity, because from a casual perspective, it is much easier to relate to and understand than instruments, mostly because a casual listener doesn't completely understand the variety of scales, patterns, etc that go into the instruments, so its not easy to relate to immediately.

Top Bottom