• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the point of playing Lucina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
i kinda wanna play you to prove you wrong. I play Lucina aggressively. when it comes to playing Aggressively with Marth I will always die, and fail, because my spacing sucks. So when I play Marth i play defensively. What you are incapable of seeing, obviously, is that not everyone is good at spacing, there for you are incapable of seeing the fact that the real difference between Marth and Lucina is how well the player is now how good the character themselves are.

Statistics be damned, Lucina will be better then marth if a player can't space correctly. Thats all there is to it. (Also i rushdown pretty well with Lucina. Hitlag or not.)
"I play Lucina aggressively"
Good for you, I don't give a ****.

"when it comes to playing aggressively with Marth I will always die... because my spacing sucks"
Basically you just said you're bad at the game

I'll say it again. In every instance, Marth is better than Lucina. Lucina is consistant, but Marth is consistant as well if you know what you're doing. He is consistent in the fact that there are two outcomes, one being a sourspot hit and the other not beign a sourspot. Most Marths go for sourspot combos and when the tip hits all you do is transition to edgeguarding. Its like any sport, you're on offence or defence, but for Marth its you're comboing/hit-confirming or edgeguarding.

"the real difference between Marth and Lucina is how well the player is not (sic) how good the character themselves are."
You're wrong. An equally good Marth vs an equally good Lucina will win 100 percent of the time. Marth kills earlier and is easier to gimp with whereas Lucina has a more consistent kill percent.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax

"when it comes to playing aggressively with Marth I will always die... because my spacing sucks"

I'll say it again. In every instance, Marth is better than Lucina. Lucina is consistant, but Marth is consistant as well if you know what you're doing. He is consistent in the fact that there are two outcomes, one being a sourspot hit and the other not beign a sourspot. Most Marths go for sourspot combos and when the tip hits all you do is transition to edgeguarding. Its like any sport, you're on offence or defence, but for Marth its you're comboing/hit-confirming or edgeguarding.

"the real difference between Marth and Lucina is how well the player is not (sic) how good the character themselves are."
You're wrong. An equally good Marth vs an equally good Lucina will win 100 percent of the time. Marth kills earlier and is easier to gimp with whereas Lucina has a more consistent kill percent.
i've faced good Marths, Marth's that are equal or a little better then me, using timing, strategy, and such tactics i outplay them with Lucina, so I guess this is the point where I say its time to 'nut up or shut up' so the saying goes. You clearly have to be very good with marth, so unless you can prove it to me that marth is superior by facing down my Lucina, i'll stick to my guns that its player style that matters not your statistical advantage.

Also, don't assume just because I can't space correctly with Marth that i am bad at the game.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The thing I'm wondering point for is why are people still arguing about this trivial topic.

Sure, Marth is better than Lucina, but that doesn't make her obsolete.

Last edited:

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
The thing I'm wondering the point for is why people are still arguing about this trivial topic.

Sure, Marth is better than Lucina, but that doesn't make her obsolete.
Thats why people are arguing, because Marth is 'statistically' better some people are saying that there is literally no point in playing Lucina. there for making her obsolete. people who actually play her differently, tend to beg to differ, opinions clash, and it becomes a battleground.

Last edited:

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Thats why people are arguing, because Marth is 'statistically' better some people are saying that there is literally no point in playing Lucina. there for making her obsolete. people who actually play her differently, tend to beg to differ, opinions clash, and it becomes a battleground.
You're the only one in this thread that thinks that Lucina is better. Its laughable honestly.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
You're the only one in this thread that thinks that Lucina is better. Its laughable honestly.
I think my Lucina is better, statistically? No. i never stated that she was statistically better, I have only just said that i play Lucina better then i do Marth, You honestly are the only one -insisting- that Marth is better no matter how a person plays. you are the laughable one. Simply assuming everyone plays the same is idiocy at its highest.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Now here's where things get ugly again, like I initially warned -.-

I think you've said quite enough. Your opinion was more respectable before you started bad mouthing other players. Your reliance on statistics is not the be all, end all to fights. Its fine to believe that (not that I am inclined to agree), but you're not helping your credibility if you must resort to this.

I was honestly hoping that this would be settled with proper discussion, but like I feared, this only ended with another insult being thrown at another. I have no other alternative than to contact the moderators about this issue.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Now here's where things get ugly again, like I initially warned -.-

I think you've said quite enough. Your opinion was more respectable before you started bad mouthing other players. Your reliance on statistics is not the be all, end all to fights. Its fine to believe that (not that I am inclined to agree), but you're not helping your credibility if you must resort to this.

I was honestly hoping that this would be settled with proper discussion, but like I feared, this only ended with another insult being thrown at another. I have no other alternative than to contact the moderators about this issue.
When people flame me and say i'm wrong, then say they're better than me I have a right to defend myself and say whatever I want. If you think that I'm bad mouthing other players you're wrong. Now YOU'RE the one that's trying to stir **** with me.

I'll say whatever I want and if you don't like it leave. Don't tell me what to do.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
When people flame me and say i'm wrong, then say they're better than me I have a right to defend myself and say whatever I want. If you think that I'm bad mouthing other players you're wrong. Now YOU'RE the one that's trying to stir **** with me.

I'll say whatever I want and if you don't like it leave. Don't tell me what to do.
Nobody once flamed you. I did however say you were wrong, because you fail to take player capability into your calculations, if you are unable to look past data that is your fault, stop taking it out on other people. and no, there are rules to this forum that state you can't say whatever you want whenever you want. Insulting people, and especially telling people that you can say whatever you want when you want is a good way to get yourself banned. I'm not going to be responding to anything else you say.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815

You have every right to defend your position. What you do NOT have the right to do is to talk down to other players like this:

One thing to argue that Marth is better, another thing to insult another player. I have tried to be reasonable about all this, but you're crossing a line here. If I do not say anything about it now, that attitude will only carry over elsewhere, and that's not helpful to anyone (including you). Your personal judgement of a character is not the same measurement that every other player abides by, and as much as you don't like it, people will continue to defend Lucina's position. This is why those who hold Marth to be of better stance have since then left this be, because they have stated their points, and recognize that people need to decide for themselves (Shaya's post on top of this board makes the differences clear already from an analytical standpoint).

You're fine to think myself or any Lucina defender are wrong, but as long as you continue to post in the Lucina board, you can be sure that a defender of Lucina will step up and place their points down. I am not of any authority on this board, I'm just another member from the crowd. But I know when someone else is starting up unnecessary strife, and I will put my voice out there to stop it however I can.

Now I ask that you calm down, if you will not listen to anything else I say. Nothing will be solved like this, nor will your points resonante with anyone any better if you continue this.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Gah these threads.

Playing Lucina in competitive play is a choice. It's not an efficient one. Are the people being emotional over this even competitive players? If you aspire to be, then do whatever you want, your experiences in tournament will show you the truth (a truth that will likely make you drop both characters, they're both very hard to be successful with, Lucina especially). If you're already going to tournaments then you don't need to stand on a soapbox above those who do not.

Lucina's consistency and the balance around that consistency actually makes her a significantly harder character to play as as you trend towards higher levels. Marth isn't harder to play as at all, he gets more out of sour spot aerials for combo fodder and safety on shield and consistently hitting people at the tipper is an implicit scenario due to how arcs work (if you think of tipper forward air traveling like an elevator downwards, then reliably spacing is as simple as coming in from above or below an opponent; this may be 'harder' to think about when you're new to smash but it's very intuitive to anyone else).
Stuff like forward tilt starts low and inwards, meaning as long as a character is grounded the actual amount of 'range' that is covered by tipper is significantly more so horizontally than not tippering with it.

soru

#2 Best Palutena in Canada
Sometimes you gotta pick your character not because they're good, but because you like playing them.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
"What you are incapable of seeing, obviously,"
This gives me the right to say whatever I want back. Did I say he was bad at the game? No. I said hes making it sound like hes bad. previously, all I said was that I didn't care that he can play Lucina aggressively.

If someone attacks my intelligence you can be damn sure that I'll say something back. What I said back was miniscule compared to what he said. Did I say something about him or is character? No, Again, I'll say whatever I want to. I could have said multiple things worse than what I said and I didn't. I crossed no line at all. Get your facts straight @ EternalFlame EternalFlame

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
"What you are incapable of seeing, obviously,"
This gives me the right to say whatever I want back. Did I say he was bad at the game? No. I said hes making it sound like hes bad. previously, all I said was that I didn't care that he can play Lucina aggressively.

If someone attacks my intelligence you can be damn sure that I'll say something back. What I said back was miniscule compared to what he said. Did I say something about him or is character? No, Again, I'll say whatever I want to. I could have said multiple things worse than what I said and I didn't. I crossed no line at all. Get your facts straight @ EternalFlame EternalFlame
I was being careful to try and avoid any discrepensies, and I can admit a mistake on my part there. However, two wrongs do not make a right, and that only means I will have to direct what I said to you to Sorin as well.

If someone attacks your intelligence, you respond respectfully, not in like manner. Your choice of words from that point onwards only lent to my assesment of the situation. Had you handled this differently, I would have been defending you instead. But as such, both parties are in the wrong here.

As the rule guideline shows;
2. No Flaming/Trolling

Respect other users. Flaming (insulting, heated arguing with) other members is not allowed.

also:

If another user is flaming or harassing you, you should not retaliate--instead, report it to a moderator.

feel free to read it in the global rule outlines:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-smashboards-user-guide-v2-0.352997/
or:
http://smashboards.com/help/terms

I did what I had to in reporting this matter to the moderators. And by their judgement I left it in their hands. I appologize for accusing only you, but the point still stands that you as well threw an insult back when you could have simply reported the matter to a moderator.

Last edited:

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
I was being careful to try and avoid any discrepensies, and I can admit a mistake on my part there. However, two wrongs do not make a right, and that only means I will have to direct what I said to you to Sorin as well.

If someone attacks your intelligence, you respond respectfully, not in like manner. Your choice of words from that point onwards only lent to my assesment of the situation. Had you handled this differently, I would have been defending you instead. But as such, both parties are in the wrong here.

As the rule guideline shows;
2. No Flaming/Trolling

Respect other users. Flaming (insulting, heated arguing with) other members is not allowed.

also:

If another user is flaming or harassing you, you should not retaliate--instead, report it to a moderator.

feel free to read it in the global rule outlines:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-smashboards-user-guide-v2-0.352997/
or:
http://smashboards.com/help/terms

I did what I had to in reporting this matter to the moderators. And by their judgement I left it in their hands. I appologize for accusing only you, but the point still stands that you as well threw an insult back when you could have simply reported the matter to a moderator.
I don't really care that you reported this to a moderator as I've done nothing wrong. You've essentially did the same thing by telling me to "calm down" when I responded to Sorin; its clear hes just trolling by looking at his join date.

I didn't throw insults back. I stated that he bnasically called himself bad and that I didn't value his opinion. If thats throwing insults around then damn my bad.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
I have no interest in trolling you, or anyone else on this forum. I know how I play Lucina, and I know how I use Lucina, and she is better to use for me then Marth is. Whether you accept that or not is your prerogative, but do not assume that I am trolling anyone. I have done more then post in a stupid debate over Marth vs Lucina, if I intended to troll you, I would've done much more including bating you, or insulting you more.

And no, Just because I can't use Marth correctly, doesn't mean I'm calling myself bad. So you assumed I was calling myself bad when I wasn't. So keep in mind your wording, because the way you came off? You came off as calling me bad, and I'm not the only person who saw it as that. I can play Lucina, Mac, and quite a few other characters quite well mind you. I don't care how you take this, or what you assume of me, but I will defend myself from being called a 'troll'.

(Also a troll wouldn't have 60 something posts just to troll a single thread.)

Last edited:

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
I have no interest in trolling you, or anyone else on this forum. I know how I play Lucina, and I know how I use Lucina, and she is better to use for me then Marth is. Whether you accept that or not is your prerogative, but do not assume that I am trolling anyone. I have done more then post in a stupid debate over Marth vs Lucina, if I intended to troll you, I would've done much more including bating you, or insulting you more.

And no, Just because I can't use Marth correctly, doesn't mean I'm calling myself bad. So you assumed I was calling myself bad when I wasn't. So keep in mind your wording, because the way you came off? You came off as calling me bad, and I'm not the only person who saw it as that. I can play Lucina, Mac, and quite a few other characters quite well mind you. I don't care how you take this, or what you assume of me, but I will defend myself from being called a 'troll'.

(Also a troll wouldn't have 60 something posts just to troll a single thread.)
Coolio.

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice
What a meaningful and totally necessary post.
Seriously if thats all you have to say, then it should be you that leaves the thread if you have nothing left to contribute than a one word post.

Last edited:

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
What a meaningful and totally necessary post.
Seriously if thats all you have to say, then it should be you that leaves the thread if you have nothing left to contribute than a one word post.
I don't really have to argue with him, I left the thread awhile back then he came out out of the blue trying to throw his **** around like a big boy. I don't have to really say anything to him because I've already made my point. If he doesn't want to use common sense so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom