• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the point of playing Lucina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
"I feel bad for this. But it keeps happening and people aren't bothering to research/search for five and a half frikken seconds to get the answer said to them plain as day. I think I need to end up making a "The Unfortunate Truth of Lucina: Please Stop Asking" thread, but it would ultimately be very patronising to her players.

Marth is almost universally a better character in every scenario. I would not feel confident in saying he is superior in 100% of cases, I already know this is not true, but 90%+? Very likely. Is there reason to use Lucina in tournament over Marth? The answer is unfortunately no. Is she viable though? Of course she is, she has a winning character design and while her deficiencies separate them, their differences don't change how match ups are played at all and anything Marth can win, Lucina can in practice do so too.

The most crippling and objective difference is how their swords work, but it's a lot more drastic than just "oh tippers do more damage and kill earlier".

This is not necessarily obvious to people, but there's a property in this game called Hit Lag, that applies whenever an attack hits somebody or something, the length of hit lag is based on the % Damage of the attack and a scaling modifier. Marth's tipper attacks produce extra hit lag, just like Captain Falcon's knee, to exemplify hitting with their sweetspots, their modifier is above 1 (or above 100%). On the contrary, Marth's untippered attacks produce less hit lag, their modifier is below 1. In Brawl this was 130% on Tippers and 70% on non-tippers IIRC.

Now onto how hitting shields work. When an attack hits a shield, the hit lag the person in shield experiences does not consider the modifier, whilst the initiator still does. This means that Marth's untippered hits on shield are safer than they normally would be by several frames, whilst his tipper hits are less safe.

Lucina does not have this effect anywhere on her sword (I've tested tilts/jabs conclusively, I'd assume it's standard); her attacks have no hit lag modifiers whatsoever.

This means that Marth spacing poorly is safer on shield than Lucina spacing well on EVERY single attack. The frame disadvantage received by tippers by Marth through hitlag are compensated by the still higher damage scaling with shield stun and shield knockback and ultimately still end up giving Marth higher frame advantages on shield with tippers than Lucina does as well.

So what does Lucina get for poorly spacing that Marth doesn't? 1% extra damage on average per hit and killing 10% or so earlier on Smash attacks. A rough estimate would be that Lucina's sword is 12.5% more potent on damage and knockback, while Marth's tippers are up to 25% more damage and knockback or BETTER, the kill differences between them when it comes to tipper forward smash is pretty disgusting.

While I cannot be [near] objective on the next point, I say it with confidence. Combo ability difference is a load of crap. I've been playing Marth for close to a decade, I don't think about combos, I think about hit confirms into more hit confirms and acting as fast as possible out of my actions. Marth and Lucina are not combo heavy characters in this game, and this will not change. I hit people with forward air and through the hitconfirm know exactly where they're going to travel towards. When I hit people with tippers on Marth in combo strings it gives me even more breathing space/time to be in a position to reduce enemy options/guarantee successive hits, while weaker attacks can be punished on hit; this applies to Lucina as well. I really cannot begin to even understand any Smasher having a mindset on Marth or Lucina that involves knowing what percent things combo into each other perfectly, because that's just not how Smash Bros works at all, there are so many variables that exist already (enemy percent, move staling, rage, DI/Vectoring, Smash DI/Shuffling; good players have to react to these things) that something as minor as 10% more or less knockback requires no adjustments. If you think it does, you're not comfortable with Marth or Lucina in the first place at the skill required to succeed at high level.

So,
Is there any scenario Lucina is safer on shield than Marth? Literally never. I'm not sure about what people mean by being able to play more aggressively on Lucina Every time you hit a shield as Lucina and get punished, the same may not have happened on Marth.

Is there any scenario Lucina is safer on hit than Marth? Yes; but the window this matters is very small (mostly eradicated by the time any enemy is above 30%). Some moves very poorly spaced on hit may also be punishable for Marth in scenarios it wouldn't be for Lucina. Marth's jab is a low knockback move unless tippered, and for a wide array of percent isn't safe on hit (it eventually becomes something you can combo out of and is likely to trip), this is not as pronounced on Lucina, who can use her jab more liberally.
Is comboing with Lucina easier/more consistent? I would say no. Another technical point is that hitstun scales with knockback, and hence Marth's tippered attacks are producing more hit stun and hence more comboability than Lucina would, but as I mentioned in that big paragraph, it really doesn't and shouldn't matter."

Taken from a locked thread that I don't know what happened to, but I saved the text. Posted by Shaya I believe.

Edit: Reformatted for easier reading.

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
If you can space properly, Marth is objectively better than Lucina. This is why we likely won't see anyone who's fighting to win in competitive play using Lucina over Marth. Lucina is more consistent, but Marth has the power to be much stronger if the player is skilled enough to space properly and know the right distance.

As has been said before, Lucina for casual play is fine, but if you want to use your skill and play to win competitively Marth is going to be much better.

Feryn Hyrk

Smash Rookie
Lucina for casual play is fine
I still think people are missing the point of what i said (or just didn't read my post)... the fact that Marth is better than Lucina REALLY do not mean that Lucina is not fit for competitive gameplay. Even though she is weaker it is still by a small difference and while she lacks a tipper she certainly is not lacking in strenght, speed, good knockbacks and even combos, like the ken one.

So both chars are really very much competitive still, they're also very, very close tier wise.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I still think people are missing the point of what i said (or just didn't read my post)... the fact that Marth is better than Lucina REALLY do not mean that Lucina is not fit for competitive gameplay. Even though she is weaker it is still by a small difference and while she lacks a tipper she certainly is not lacking in strenght, speed, good knockbacks and even combos, like the ken one.

So both chars are really very much competitive still, they're also very, very close tier wise.
I understand what you're saying in your earlier post, but you have to understand that Lucina and Marth are the same character apart from that tipper (and other veeerry minor differences). Marth is just an upgraded Lucina once you learn your spacing. Comparing Marth to Lucina isn't the same as comparing Marth to Diddy Kong, because DdK and Marth completely different characters with completely different physics, tools and playstyles, meanwhile Marth and Lucina are exactly the same apart from their differences - they have the same speed and the same tools available to them. Lucina holds little competitive value while Marth exists; she is perfectly viable competitively, but since Marth exists and is an upgrade of Lucina and is objectively better than her, she is almost (if not fully) pointless competitively.

Last edited:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I play Lucina over Marth for two reasons:

First, while I do like Marth's moveset, I do not like the character. I do not like the ancient hero legend with his girly face and tiara fetish. I do not like that he always talks in japanese because I do not understand what he says. I have never 'bonded' with him outside of Melee because I did not play any other game he was in (and I think I simply cannot since his FE was not released outside of Japan?). So to me he is just a random Man-Princess with a sword, without any character to speak of.
Lucina on the other hand shares his moveset AND is a character I feel somewhat connected to. I've spent more than 100 hours in FE:A, and Lucina always sticks in my party. In my first playthrough this was natural, as a child-character she is stronger than the parent-characters, and you pick her up early enough to see her grow. I know her backstory, I know her purpose, why she does what she does and so on. Despite that, she is presented as a likeable character in the game.
She also is a female character (always a bonus regarding MY character choice, as I do tend to rather play the females), so her general design is more compelling to me than Marth's. As a bonus, her alternate outfits beat the living crap out of Marth's.

Second, I really appreciate that she is weaker than Marth, seen from a competitive stand point. I don't want to argue that she has her redeeming qualities over Marth, she just is a downgrade. Skill level required for consistent play does not matter when you play competitively, the character that performs better, regardless off how good you have to be, is the better character. Period.
But why do I appreciate her weakness? I like the challenge. Though she is the wrong choice between her and Marth if you want to play at top level, she still is not a weak character. I think it is very possible to play her in a way that you still threaten the 'Top tier' characters. There's certainly an 'underdog' element for me to enjoy, and I would love to pull off amazing stuff with the weaker character.
When looking at Melee's competitive scene, we see a very strong dominance of ~4 characters (2 space animals, Marth, Shiek). There's some Jigglies and Peaches mixing it up if you want to believe that, but the other four are dominant. That's because those characters are stronger. BUT - there's still players who do not play characters just because they are strong, and they still are very good. There's Samuses, Yoshies, Ganondorfs and others who just happen to breathe life into the competitive scene when they are handled correctly. They may seldomly win sets or even tournaments, but when they do, they spark a lot of discussion, speculation and might even change tier lists (like Mango did with Jiggly?). And I think we need these players who might from time to time cause some trouble and shake things up.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Not aggressive, just shocked at the sheer hypocrisy in your statement.

Oh you've gotten a tipper fsmash read before? Amazing. Tippers are inconsistent, lucina is not. That is the bottom line.

'Being a Marth main, I still say the point of error between tipper and non-tipper is inescapable, no matter how good you are at getting them. And that one mistake can cost you the game, simply for not killing your opponent as soon as you'd like. The same can be said for Lucina, but at least she has the assurance of no point of error. That should be what consistency means in this context.' - EternalFlame

You can use ad hominem all you want but it won't help you backpedal from this ludicrous statement:

'But anyway ignoring all the misinformation, Lucina is for casual players. Marth is for competitive players.'
Why would i back pedal from the truth? Its pretty clear lucina was made to be inferior at a high level. Its not an insult to her. Just observation.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Hands down what it comes down to is the fact Marth focuses on Spacing and hitting with the sweetspot while Lucina does not, Lucina is a faster runner then Marth, and her attacks have overall more damage since her whole sword is her 'sweetspot', however Marth can overall beat her with a good spacing player.

On the subject of Shields though, I've had no problems with either, Lucina breaks a shield with a poke, and Marth breaks a shield with a poke, it doesn't really matter that much in my opinion, unless someone power shields then it won't break in a poke.

Also Laura Bailey and Taunts are in english. So yeah.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Lucina is a faster runner then Marth.
She is not. As I posted earlier here are their actual differences + data...
On the subject of Shields though, I've had no problems with either, Lucina breaks a shield with a poke, and Marth breaks a shield with a poke, it doesn't really matter that much in my opinion, unless someone power shields then it won't break in a poke.
Are you referring to what has been mentioned about being safe on block etc as mentioned earlier? If you are they where not stating differences in breaking shields. What they where talking about is that Marth has some hit-lag modifiers that give him the ability of being safer after an attack of his has been blocked. This is what it means by being safe on block, you can also see those modifier values on the thread I linked above, but as an example:
Fsmash

LUCINA
Damage: 14.725
Base Knockback: 65
Knockback Growth: 80
Hitlag Multiplier: 1.0×
SDI Multiplier: 1.0×

MARTH
Damage: 13, 18
Base Knockback: 55, 80
Hitlag Multiplier: 0.7×, 1.5×
SDI Multiplier: 1.0×, 0.0×
Additionally, this is well explained on this post a bit further up in the discussion.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I think most likely Marth has the edge over Lucina,but he is not objectively better.Please feel free to correct me on the following,I'm not very experienced with either character.
To justify Luci's potential edge over the Hero-King,one must think in times of match-ups.

There may(though it's unlikely)be characters that actually thrive more then Marth at mid range,thus rendering him forced to get up close,and thus weakening him.Lucina wouldn't care about this,thus perhaps giving her a better stance in the match-up.

What about keep-away characters that wear you down?Marth is forced to either deal with their tricks hoping to land a tipper or charge in against his own strengths.But Lucina wouldn't mind that.

It's minor,but a note-worthy point.Lucina can support a more aggro style.It's a minor playstyle preference and character bias for the most part in choosing between them.

Last edited:

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
She is not. As I posted earlier here are their actual differences + data...

Are you referring to what has been mentioned about being safe on block etc as mentioned earlier? If you are they where not stating differences in breaking shields. What they where talking about is that Marth has some hit-lag modifiers that give him the ability of being safer after an attack of his has been blocked. This is what it means by being safe on block, you can also see those modifier values on the thread I linked above, but as an example:
Fsmash

LUCINA
Damage: 14.725
Base Knockback: 65
Hitlag Multiplier: 1.0×
SDI Multiplier: 1.0×

MARTH
Damage: 13, 18
Base Knockback: 55, 80
Hitlag Multiplier: 0.7×, 1.5×
SDI Multiplier: 1.0×, 0.0×
Additionally, this is well explained on this post a bit further up in the discussion.
I don't see anywhere on that Data that states Marth is faster then Lucina when running, not one ounce of data actually, only data on damage involving their attacks. In fact the original poster states that 'everything' is the same, however if you wish to argue semantics by posting numbers, so can I :) Just tested it, 3 out of 3 times Lucina runs across from one edge of Battlefield (Small) to the other in 1.6 seconds, and Marth runs the equality of the distance in 1.7 seconds. While negligible according to the data Lucina is faster than marth. Also, I -can- back this up with video evidence.

Further more my Shield statement was just a statement. Based on nothing but my own observations not what anyone posted.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I cant do this anymore.

This forum is bizarro world compared to the marth forums.

Peace

LightLV

Smash Ace
Play people who are good at this game. You'll stop playing Lucina. There is, literally, no reason to pick Lucina over Marth. She is worse in absolutely every practical situation you can think of.

Period. Until she get's buffed, picking Lucina is literally picking a bad version of Marth with a slightly prettier face. And seeing as they skipped giving her buffs in the latest patch, Nintendo must be aware that she's trash, and want her to stay that way.

*shrug*

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Play people who are good at this game. You'll stop playing Lucina. There is, literally, no reason to pick Lucina over Marth. She is worse in absolutely every practical situation you can think of.

Period. Until she get's buffed, picking Lucina is literally picking a bad version of Marth with a slightly prettier face. And seeing as they skipped giving her buffs in the latest patch, Nintendo must be aware that she's trash, and want her to stay that way.

*shrug*
...I play people good at this game with Lucina '-' So...I guess you just play against people who are like God Tier cause I **** with Lucina in For Glory mode, and actually came close to beating a semi-pro player named 2dos with Lucina on his stream with Pie. So erm... No clue what you talking about brah.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Just tested it, 3 out of 3 times Lucina runs across from one edge of Battlefield (Small) to the other in 1.6 seconds, and Marth runs the equality of the distance in 1.7 seconds. While negligible according to the data Lucina is faster than marth.
As you clearly indicate the difference is 0.1 seconds between them. In science we usually have an error section in the report where we can indicate what factors could have affected data calculation. Now if I where performing the experiment in the way that I think you did, I would first indicate that there is an outright human error that could have affected the calculation. The difference from when I see the timer get the the default time I will use to measure the running and when I actually start running. There will be a difference. This is called reaction time. Additionally, you could have actually had a 1.68 for Lucina but rounded it down for 1.6 incorrectly. In that case both their run speeds would be close to 1.7. I would also conclude that the time it takes for each to run battlefield from one corner to the other would be 1.6s + or - 0.2 seconds at the minimum for both characters.

If you want to prove or disprove these accurately, have a capture card that can record in 60 fps in order to have accurate video and go to your stage preference. Optimally, a neutral stage. Have two controllers connected. Go to training mode. Choose Lucina or Marth for the first test on the first player controller on the second controller choose any character but make it be the same in each test. Place Lucina on the furthest left corner of the stage and the player 2 character on the furthest right corner of the stage (Make sure it is the furthest possible point). Now fix the camera angle in the training mode settings. Now run from one edge to the next. Do this multiple times to have plenty of film to compare later on. Do the same thing with Marth. After you have the film, get a video editing software and place either the Marth film or Lucina film as the base layer, Let's say you picked Lucina. Then place the Marth film on top of the Lucina film. Lower the opacity for the Marth film so that you can see both. Make sure that both Marth and Lucina are overlapping. Search for the frame on each film when both start running and have that be the first frames for both clips. Now play the film. If they have the same run speed you will be able to clearly tell since one character overlaps the other. If they do not you will see the other start to lag behind.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Well, it's clear that the discussion will turn for the worse in time.

I'll say it again: I play for fun, not competitively. Yes, Marth is better. No, I don't care. Because I firmly see myself as casual.

Of course, arguments can go back and forth about who is better and yadda yadda yadda.

Reasons that should make sense to people who aren't overly competitive:

1. Liking the character.
2. Not caring for competitive scenes.
3. Playing for fun.
4. Playing people who are very good at Smash is no reason to drop a character unless you are seriously competitive. I've lost many times to better players and that hasn't stopped me.

And, of course, I say this from a casual standpoint. I know that I won't be changing opinions here, but players shouldn't be judged for playing who they want to play. It's a freaking game. If we want to play a clone that's absolutely worse in every practical situation, what's the big deal? It's our choice. I certainly regret nothing. And while I'm in no position to criticize the competitive players for their beliefs, I will say that each side should leave the other to their own devices and not throw out pointless arguments.

That's just me, however.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Lucina's viability is all about how skilled a player is at spacing with either Marth or Lucina. Sakurai even said this himself; he intended Lucina to be an introduction on how to play Marth. So Lucina actually has a place in the community tech-wise even if Marth is better in every way, because there will always be people new to using Marth.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice

It isn't by a small difference. Its by a HUGE difference with frame data and other observations.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Reasons that should make sense to people who aren't overly competitive:

1. Liking the character.
2. Not caring for competitive scenes.
3. Playing for fun.
4. Playing people who are very good at Smash is no reason to drop a character unless you are seriously competitive. I've lost many times to better players and that hasn't stopped me.
Nobody is criticizing anyone for it. We're just answering the question truthfully. Of course you should pick her if you want to play her. But as it stands right now, Lucina is just a silly decision in this game...I've never heard of a character who's put in a game with a roster like Smash Bros' who is a deliberate waste of space.

...I play people good at this game with Lucina '-' So...I guess you just play against people who are like God Tier cause I **** with Lucina in For Glory mode, and actually came close to beating a semi-pro player named 2dos with Lucina on his stream with Pie. So erm... No clue what you talking about brah.
I mean...i'm not saying im anything close to special or anything, but my winrate with Lucina is pretty high on For Glory as well, but i get ****ted on hard by people i've played locally, to the point where the extra strength of Marth is really the difference between coming close to winning and just getting 3 stocked.

I don't play them different or anything. And lucina gains absolutely nothing from not spacing correctly. So, through reason by deductionnnnnn.....

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Lucina is a solid character, but Marth does what she does better in just about every way. She will be better than Roy, since she's equally strong on the entire blade unlike him.

There's probably no real reason to play her over Marth competitively, but tier-wise I'd see her one tier below wherever he lands.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
What's the point of playing Lucina?

There's no point. Literally.

Who needs that tipper mechanic.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
As you clearly indicate the difference is 0.1 seconds between them. In science we usually have an error section in the report where we can indicate what factors could have affected data calculation. Now if I where performing the experiment in the way that I think you did, I would first indicate that there is an outright human error that could have affected the calculation. The difference from when I see the timer get the the default time I will use to measure the running and when I actually start running. There will be a difference. This is called reaction time. Additionally, you could have actually had a 1.68 for Lucina but rounded it down for 1.6 incorrectly. In that case both their run speeds would be close to 1.7. I would also conclude that the time it takes for each to run battlefield from one corner to the other would be 1.6s + or - 0.2 seconds at the minimum for both characters.

If you want to prove or disprove these accurately, have a capture card that can record in 60 fps in order to have accurate video and go to your stage preference. Optimally, a neutral stage. Have two controllers connected. Go to training mode. Choose Lucina or Marth for the first test on the first player controller on the second controller choose any character but make it be the same in each test. Place Lucina on the furthest left corner of the stage and the player 2 character on the furthest right corner of the stage (Make sure it is the furthest possible point). Now fix the camera angle in the training mode settings. Now run from one edge to the next. Do this multiple times to have plenty of film to compare later on. Do the same thing with Marth. After you have the film, get a video editing software and place either the Marth film or Lucina film as the base layer, Let's say you picked Lucina. Then place the Marth film on top of the Lucina film. Lower the opacity for the Marth film so that you can see both. Make sure that both Marth and Lucina are overlapping. Search for the frame on each film when both start running and have that be the first frames for both clips. Now play the film. If they have the same run speed you will be able to clearly tell since one character overlaps the other. If they do not you will see the other start to lag behind.
Not a Marth or Lucina main but I was bored so I decided to test this out.
https://gfycat.com/MerrySmoggyBluet
There is no difference. At all. Of course, the Wii U version might be different but I doubt it.

There's no point when playing Lucina. But what can I really say? I can't give any tips about her

(I'm colossally late to making that joke)

Last edited:

chucho

Smash Cadet
I play Lucina over Marth for two reasons:

First, while I do like Marth's moveset, I do not like the character. I do not like the ancient hero legend with his girly face and tiara fetish. I do not like that he always talks in japanese because I do not understand what he says. I have never 'bonded' with him outside of Melee because I did not play any other game he was in (and I think I simply cannot since his FE was not released outside of Japan?). So to me he is just a random Man-Princess with a sword, without any character to speak of.
Lucina on the other hand shares his moveset AND is a character I feel somewhat connected to. I've spent more than 100 hours in FE:A, and Lucina always sticks in my party. In my first playthrough this was natural, as a child-character she is stronger than the parent-characters, and you pick her up early enough to see her grow. I know her backstory, I know her purpose, why she does what she does and so on. Despite that, she is presented as a likeable character in the game.
She also is a female character (always a bonus regarding MY character choice, as I do tend to rather play the females), so her general design is more compelling to me than Marth's. As a bonus, her alternate outfits beat the living crap out of Marth's.

Second, I really appreciate that she is weaker than Marth, seen from a competitive stand point. I don't want to argue that she has her redeeming qualities over Marth, she just is a downgrade. Skill level required for consistent play does not matter when you play competitively, the character that performs better, regardless off how good you have to be, is the better character. Period.
But why do I appreciate her weakness? I like the challenge. Though she is the wrong choice between her and Marth if you want to play at top level, she still is not a weak character. I think it is very possible to play her in a way that you still threaten the 'Top tier' characters. There's certainly an 'underdog' element for me to enjoy, and I would love to pull off amazing stuff with the weaker character.
When looking at Melee's competitive scene, we see a very strong dominance of ~4 characters (2 space animals, Marth, Shiek). There's some Jigglies and Peaches mixing it up if you want to believe that, but the other four are dominant. That's because those characters are stronger. BUT - there's still players who do not play characters just because they are strong, and they still are very good. There's Samuses, Yoshies, Ganondorfs and others who just happen to breathe life into the competitive scene when they are handled correctly. They may seldomly win sets or even tournaments, but when they do, they spark a lot of discussion, speculation and might even change tier lists (like Mango did with Jiggly?). And I think we need these players who might from time to time cause some trouble and shake things up.
I agree with youb100% Because I believe connecting with a character is important.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
She will be better than Roy, since she's equally strong on the entire blade unlike him.
I'd disagree here. I feel like if Lucina actually had a sweetspot on the blade the comparisons between her and Marth would be a hell of a lot different, because there'd actually be something to aim for when using Lucina. Roy's near-hilt sweetspot rewarded his unsafe play. Lucina doesn't reward you, period. You just swing the sword and land hits, and you do the same thing with every hit. In the same way a good Marth will always beat a good Lucina, a good Roy will. If we were talking 1:1 Melee Roy, IDK entirely if that's true, but at least Roy had combos. Lucina's lack of a sweetspot ultimately hurts her at a high level of play, though, because it caps her ability.

I really wanted to like Lucina early on, but her style just doesn't click with me. Brawl and beyond Marth was too slow and floaty for me, so I couldn't play him. It's the same thing this time around. Falchion being warped into a glorified dagger for range and the garbage endlag on aerials ruins the appeal the two characters had for me. I only play Lucina when I'm goofing around. Nintendo really dropped the ball with their clones.

Last edited:

Tribute

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0645-5788-4088
Cherche #1 smash waifu + I'm not skillcapped so using her over marth isn't whats holding me back

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
if people call a video game character waifu they really need to take a step back and think. xD

You don't question a man's choice of waifu. That kind of behavior gets a man slapped.

But seriously, yeah, I know some people who choose Lucina purely for aesthetic reasons, disregarding mechanics entirely.

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice

You don't question a man's choice of waifu. That kind of behavior gets a man slapped.

But seriously, yeah, I know some people who choose Lucina purely for aesthetic reasons, disregarding mechanics entirely.
+200 points for using a RWBY .gif
But didn't Lucina get new changes in the new patch that came out? I recall seeing something about that in the Lucina thread.

Feryn Hyrk

Smash Rookie
I cant do this anymore.

This forum is bizarro world compared to the marth forums.

Peace
Don't go away, I'm new here but I like your posts on the Marth/Lucina thread '-'

Also people, you're STILL not getting the point.

1º - Separate the 2 chars first
2º - I like Lucina's charcater. IS SHE VIABLE IN A COMPETITION? - completeley disregard marth in your answer.
3º - Yes, she is.

Now let's put this in comparisson with different chars. Is anyone who plays with a "less-than-top-tier" forced to be a casual player? No.

amSA with his Yoshi and AXE with his Pikachu in Melee are very good examples.

All you guys need to do is stop wrapping Marth and Lucina as if Lucina was a custom move from Marth. Just because they play similar with same speed and have a sword atribute difference and moveset doesn't mean that one is competitive and the other is not. Disregard who is better BOTH ARE VIABLE.

Also there is no need to fight or pick on the other... as for me I mained Marth in Melee without even knowing what a tier was so I obviously like Marth a lot. Still, I want to go with Lucina this time so it can be a similar feel with a difference final experience.

Also, it's cool to main an underdog, but this doesn't mean I can't win, she has all the tools she need =)

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Don't go away, I'm new here but I like your posts on the Marth/Lucina thread '-'

Also people, you're STILL not getting the point.

1º - Separate the 2 chars first
2º - I like Lucina's charcater. IS SHE VIABLE IN A COMPETITION? - completeley disregard marth in your answer.
3º - Yes, she is.

Now let's put this in comparisson with different chars. Is anyone who plays with a "less-than-top-tier" forced to be a casual player? No.

amSA with his Yoshi and AXE with his Pikachu in Melee are very good examples.

All you guys need to do is stop wrapping Marth and Lucina as if Lucina was a custom move from Marth. Just because they play similar with same speed and have a sword atribute difference and moveset doesn't mean that one is competitive and the other is not. Disregard who is better BOTH ARE VIABLE.

Also there is no need to fight or pick on the other... as for me I mained Marth in Melee without even knowing what a tier was so I obviously like Marth a lot. Still, I want to go with Lucina this time so it can be a similar feel with a difference final experience.

Also, it's cool to main an underdog, but this doesn't mean I can't win, she has all the tools she need =)
Unfortunately, this cycle of Marth vs Lucina is not one likely to break any time soon ^^" I side with Lucina being viable still for tournaments, but people will continue to debate about it (even when we have Shaya's post on their actual differences). Even with admitting that Marth is fundamentally stronger, more still assert that Lucina is not tourney viable/waste of space. Lucina has no tipper, but she does not struggle to kill. Marth doesn't struggle to kill either, but Marth is fundamentally stronger.

People got their opinions, but I'm just hoping others that read this stuff will decide for themselves who they want to play as, and not be swayed by the debating back and forth here. Though most of all, I really don't want to see people classing Lucina players as being less skilled or being casual only. That's not being constructive (especially on a Lucina board) and paints a negative image of the Marth community or even the Smash community as a whole.

Perhaps I'm being oversensitive about the whole issue, but just as everyone else has the right to say that Lucina is weaker, I have every right to say she can still be worth playing.

Last edited:

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
But she isn't worth playing at a competitive standpoint because you have a character that does everything better.

You can't just say "Disregard Marth, Lucina can be viable"

Yes she COULD be viable but Marth is MORE viable which means she is now obsolete and useless. Shes a downgrade from Marth regarding frame data OS, which is HUGE in the competitive scene.

Feryn Hyrk

Smash Rookie
"But she isn't worth playing at a competitive standpoint because you have a character that does everything better"
There are characters who are better than Marth, still you choose to play Marth.

Lucina is a separate person, she fights like Marth but she is not Marth, playing Lucina is not playing a custom Marth.

Yes she COULD be viable but Marth is MORE viable which means she is now obsolete and useless.
Playing Alph is not like playing Olimar either, and ins this case they're really the SAME.

You are only seeing the polygons in them, the reason we like to play a character in the smash bros series isn't solely by how good they are, it's also for WHO they are. And once we define our main we go and get everything we can from them to make us able to go to tournaments with them.

which means she is now obsolete and useless.
There is no such thing as a casual character, there is just casual matches. When we want to go full power we can go with Luigi or Kirby and even win! And Lucina fights really well, she's fast and packs a good strenght.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
But she isn't worth playing at a competitive standpoint because you have a character that does everything better.

You can't just say "Disregard Marth, Lucina can be viable"

Yes she COULD be viable but Marth is MORE viable which means she is now obsolete and useless. Shes a downgrade from Marth regarding frame data OS, which is HUGE in the competitive scene.
Case and point it seems ^^"

Pretty much to follow up, what Feyrn is arguing that Lucina is viable, not whether she is more viable than Marth. You made the distinction that Marth is more viable, but that does not deter the point that Lucina can succeed in the tournament setting. Her ability to compete is not dependent on Marth's existence. Optimally Marth is a stronger choice, but Lucina isn't horrible to the point she is unable to compete as well. May as well argue that Ganon is also a waste, since his tier performance will be much lower (not to say that he can't perform either, but the point is the tier difference does not equal inability). A lower tier (or downgrade in this case) does not mean that they cannot compete. People should know what they are getting into when they pick their character, clone or not, disadvantage or not (why we also have counterpicking).

EDIT: @ GreenFlame GreenFlame , Marth and Lucina do play exactly the same and have the same matchups with Marth slightly better at them. But it's the principle I'm pointing out here of picking someone based on one's fundamental strength over another xD Marth can do better, but Lucina can do just fine - that's why we've said that she can be at competitive level, even if her fundamentals are weaker than Marth. I'll point out the "can" in the sentence before this, so people don't mistake it for "can compared to Marth" or "can and is better choice than Marth". There is also a difference between ability to compete vs which is optimal to compete with, and that has already been clearly stated throughout this entire discussion xD That's just to clarify my earlier statement on her not depending on Marth to compete.

Now the original author of this post already asked why should someone play or not play Lucina, and I do believe everyone has answered the question well enough. I'll say the same thing I said in the same kind of post on the Marth side, that we leave it up to people to decide and let this topic die (before it gets ugly like last time). We're only going around in circles here as neither side will budge on their stand. I understand I'm not helping this process by even posting right now, but we all should just agree to disagree and let's all focus on improving the characters we choose to main.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom