• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what is the point of ice beam

asd_

Smash Cadet
the only decent things about it are fair and upsmsah, except fair = nair dmg and knockback when sweet spotted plus longer hitbox time on nair

the upsmash is not bad but the hitbox of ice upsmash is only in the direction your facing, i.e you cant hit people behind you with it..regular upsmash buffed so much that its questionable whats better even though ice upsmash is her best kill move on ground

i just dont see it justifying reducing missle, fsmash, and dtilt knockback significantly worth it..and hitting twice with fsmash is not something that can be done consistently

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
the only decent things about it are fair and upsmsah, except fair = nair dmg and knockback when sweet spotted plus longer hitbox time on nair

the upsmash is not bad but the hitbox of ice upsmash is only in the direction your facing, i.e you cant hit people behind you with it..regular upsmash buffed so much that its questionable whats better even though ice upsmash is her best kill move on ground

i just dont see it justifying reducing missle, fsmash, and dtilt knockback significantly worth it..and hitting twice with fsmash is not something that can be done consistently
Its personal preference. Don't like it? Don't use it.

Fair technically has a bigger vertical range than Nair does. Ice homing missiles home until they hit something and Ice super missiles have a farther knockback than plasma. The Ice Usmash has a frontal range instead of being an overhead arch, which is a good kill move. Ice Fsmash is mainly for shield pressure, or pressure in general. Its not a kill move.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Ice = Ice
Plasma = Fire
Super Missle is from Super Metroid.

Which is this in Brawl/PM:

If you don't like Ice, then don't use it, its completely optional.

Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
ice for knockback (aside from fire fsmash). fire for comboing. fire for fast fallers, ice for floaties. ice for aerials, fire for grounded.

It's generally situational.

asd_

Smash Cadet
ice for knockback
see thats the problem, if ice and fire missle's knockback were swapped the kit would make much more sense, you have fire fair upsmash and missles which would do more dmg/less knockback and ice would be vice versa..the problem is it is jumbled up and generally speaking having significantly stronger power missles>ice outside of edgeguarding with fair

i do find myself swapping to ice during the higher percentages because fair offstage is really nice but thats the only reason, and even that in itself is a big tradeoff cause my power missles cant kill as well

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
The ice homing missiles do more damage, and I think they launch at a different angle, not that there's much launching at all with homing missiles. A smash missile offstage should usually kill regardless of which mode you're in, so ice is generally better for edgeguarding. Basically, fire has better smash, ice has better homing. The ice dtilt is pretty underwhelming, but it will pretty much straight up kill Captain Falcon or Ganondorf at higher percents if you land if off stage and edge-hog. If they don't immediately fly far enough, they might try to land on stage, so as not to get ledge-hogged, and you can just dtilt again until it works. If they go too high, ice fair. Harder to land on Marth but it's probably possible. At the least it punishes missed sweet-spots. Ice forward smash is pretty much just bad. It's just too slow, and Samus has much better options for shield pressure. The first hit will make them slide too far in shield for the second hit to usually land anyway, unless you're right next to them, in which case you should've been grabbed during the slow start up. Once in a blue moon when I accidentally throw it out, they'll happen to land on the second hit.

That said, I still use ice at high percents sometimes. The upsmash actually hits pretty far behind her at the end of the arc, though the knockback is much worse, and the vertical range is insane. And the fair is just very easy to land and fairly safe off-stage. Down-throw->ice up-smash is a pretty reliable kill combo on most the cast at high percents.

I just want the ice dtilt to do more shield damage to give it some on-stage utility. And make the ice forward-smash stronger or something to compensate for the slow start-up.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I personally find ice mode better for when I need to control neutral or expect to end up in a lot of defensive situations. I find her Usmash a more reliable anti-air option and Fair for air-to-air/ground situations since it covers a pretty sizable zone in front of her.

Offensively Fsmash can be used for a deceptive frame trap with its double hit properties.

Overall I've adjusted to having stronger defensive options and spacing tools in ice mode at the cost of weaker pressure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom