• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the best way to DI with Diddy?

12 Pack

Smash Apprentice
So i've been seeing that there is a lot of discussion about DI on the other character forums and that some character's have really good options for DI specific to them. For example Game n Watches bucket braking (which is amazing btw).

Anyway I was wondering what is the best option for Diddy when he is hit off the stage. What aerial should he use to cancel momentum. Also has anyone checked if the peanut gun cancels momentum or maybe throwing out a banana peel.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
The question you ought to be asking is, "Which aerial should I use that will most effectively let me act the fastest out of hit-stun?" The reason I make this modification is because most characters don't actually have "momentum-canceling" moves; even characters with moves that alter or interrupt a character's direction or trajectory (i.e. Lucario or Toon Link's D-air) will temporarily lose these properties during hit-stun (which is especially observable after being smashed or thrown off the stage). The reason you would even want to do an aerial immediately after being knocked off the stage is to quickly regain your ability to act as soon as possible in order to use your second jump. Your second jump is the move that will save you, and not your air dodge.

In Diddy's case, B-air is probably Diddy's quickest aerial option. Those who simultaneously practice good smash-DI habits and C-sticking their aerials will know that B-air is awkward and counterintuitive (this really needs no explanation why); your second best option in light of this is U-air.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I always use uair, banana peel helps your DI a tiny bit if you throw it. Any special, whatever the case except for Game and watch's down b will for some reason make it worse, you fly even more if you use the special during knockback.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
I always use uair, banana peel helps your DI a tiny bit if you throw it. Any special, whatever the case except for Game and watch's down b will for some reason make it worse, you fly even more if you use the special during knockback.
All specials except the bucket? Are you sure about that?

12 Pack

Smash Apprentice

Yoshi's side B also cancels momentum as well as Donkey Kongs up B

ADHD

Smash Hero

Yoshi's side B also cancels momentum as well as Donkey Kongs up B
I didn't know that, but i've thought about this before and tried it and the same thing happens, he just gets a boost which is worse.

Top Bottom