• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Sakurai's Criteria and his Uniqueness Philosophy Exactly About?

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Sakurai is weird. We get a new Golden Sun music track but he completely omits the Isaac Assist and has no consolation trophy. Meanwhile Last Story and even ****ing Reginleiv get recognition. Reginleiv.

Not to mention Ridley is basically "Hey it's Ridley! JUST LOOK AT THIS COOL STAGE HAZARD I MADE FOR PYROSPHERE!"

Strofirko

Smash Master
All I can say it is a better criteria than entire companies did for their crossover games,not even salty and white knighting,just the real deal:
Compare this:

To this :

And this:

Yeah the second is a racing game but still holds the point of my comment.
Worth mentioning that both games I am comparing had cancelled DLC characters for poor feeback on past DLC...
What makes smash bros roster special is rather the connectivity that the franchises and the gamers have with each other,something that was severely pointed out when the latter game was announced,the most "random" thing on smash 4 roster that I can point is this :4wiifit:,but compared to the other games where the roster is random itself it is nothing I say,the branchs are lost between the characters and the fans from their franchises.
On the end of the day the strong connections is what makes smash bros be one of the top games in the history of crossovers.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I think the only reason he didn't get changes this time was due to no new game featuring Ganondorf happened at the time the Smash 4 roster was decided (Hyrule Warriors is out of the question). The day that happens, I'm positive Ganondorf could receive some overhauls.
Sakurai has had multiple chances to de-clone Ganondorf now, he took none of them. It's never going to happen with Sakurai and I'm done having my hopes crushed by him. From now on, I'm just going to expect boring ol' uninspired Falcondorf. At least I can't be disappointed if I have literally no expectations.

He may be a Falcon semi-clone now, but he does have inspiration from canon titles. Artwork from Ocarina of Time suggest he has prowess in hand-to-hand combat. Curiously, now that I think of it, the forward aerial animation reminds me of this particular artwork.

[collapse="Link vs. Ganondorf"]
[/collapse]
If you look at the floor in that picture, you can see Ganondorf most likely just finished using that one attack where he charges magic in his hand and slams it down onto the floor. That would actually make a fantastic down-special for Ganondorf as well, and it could do more damage if used in the air to give it more unique properties. But basically, that artwork isn't Ganondorf locked in a fist fight, although he does seem to be taking advantage of being in punching distance of Link.

So, to say Ganondorf's moveset is completely uninspired is bull****.
Ganondorf's moveset is completely uninspired.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai has had multiple chances to de-clone Ganondorf now, he took none of them. It's never going to happen with Sakurai and I'm done having my hopes crushed by him. From now on, I'm just going to expect boring ol' uninspired Falcondorf. At least I can't be disappointed if I have literally no expectations.

If you look at the floor in that picture, you can see Ganondorf most likely just finished using that one attack where he charges magic in his hand and slams it down onto the floor. That would actually make a fantastic down-special for Ganondorf as well, and it could do more damage if used in the air to give it more unique properties. But basically, that artwork isn't Ganondorf locked in a fist fight, although he does seem to be taking advantage of being in punching distance of Link.

Ganondorf's moveset is completely uninspired.
I like it how you didn't address all of my points, ignoring the bulk of my argumentation, which makes me realize you're not worth my time arguing, so I'll just end it here.

And that art work looks more like Ganondorf is about to punch Link. At least for me. I did a side-by-side comparison between the animation frames for Ganondorf's forward aerial and the pose from that artwork and they're remarkably similar. Plus, the other points I brought and you didn't even bother to counterpoint.

Ganondorf didn't change from Brawl to 4 simply because he had no games released between those releases (besides remakes).

That seems to be the common denominator for characters that had significant changes from Brawl, such as Bowser being more inspired by the recent Mario games (Galaxy, 3D Land, ...), Pit with Uprising stuff and several of the new Final Smashes (Mega Evolution for Charizard and Lucario, Ultra Sword for Kirby, Poltergust 5000 for Luigi are some examples).

Anyway, I'm done with this.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Pit's and Bowser's (and even Mario's) changes don't radically change their entire movesets like what the salty people want with Ganondorf's moveset.

Also, physics are not movesets. They don't change the characters' movesets. Peach has the same moveset in Melee and Brawl despite both games having different physics.
Funny, so many people, up to and including Sakurai, see things in black or white, as though there's no possible middle ground between Falcondorf remaining Falcondorf and him getting an entirely new moveset (he does this with casual vs. competitive gamers as well).

In reality, if you take away some of his crappier moves (Warlock Punch and Kick, U-Tilt) and replace them with his OoT or HW attacks, but kept his same fundamental feel, everyone would be happy. I, personally, don't want him to use swords, since he'd either become Ike with one or Heavy Pit with two. But actual magic beyond tacked-on purple sparkles are long, long overdue, and has been since Brawl.

It's contradictory to fret so much about fans reacting poorly to changed movesets when so many other aspects of the game, such as physics, change all the time, possibly angering a far larger number of players.

It's also a cop-out to claim that Ganondorf could never have gotten revamped because a new game where he had new attacks didn't exist yet. Saying this is to ignore that Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf is a composite character, making use of attacks from throughout the character's history, just like people want him to do in Smash.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm reading a lot of interesting stuff in this thread most of it seems pretty realistic and understanding.

Hmm, it has me thinking what a new director could bring to the table.

Or a reboot of the Smash series may not be a terrible thing.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It would have been unacceptable if Bowser was a DK clone, yet people make excuses for Ganondorf.

:4dk::4bowser:
:4mario::4wario2:
:4peach::rosalina:
:4kirby::4metaknight:
:4samus::4megaman:
:4falcon::4littlemac:
:4ness::4villager:

Imagine the outrage if any of these characters ended up clones. I can just see some people backpedaling and trying to justify it.

"But Bowser is just a big strong brute, it's totally in character for him to carry things easily and slap the ground!"

"Wario is just Bad Mario, how could you expect him to be anything but a clone?"

"Rosalina is just space Peach, so it makes sense for her to be the same."

"Why should Meta Knight use his own sword? He's perfectly capable of doing what Kirby does due to a similar shape."

"Mega Man is totally just a watered down Samus amirite?"

"So what if it's out of character for a boxer to do flying kicks? It's not like they could make a moveset from his own game."

"Why the hell is Villager doing PK Thunder? That isn't even Ness' move." "You dare question all-mighty Sakurai?"

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Not to mention that as far as Sakurai is concerned, any Wario games that aren't WarioWare don't exist. He even went the extra mile to replace his only non-WarioWare inspired move (his forward smash attack) from Brawl with a completely uninspired punch attack. To Sakurai, Wario isn't a greedy treasure hunter, he's a mini-game maker with "lol random humor" who farts all the time.
And how do you depict greed in a fighting game?

Honestly, I have a hard time designing a moveset for Wario that is strictly Wario Land-inspired. Either it ends up being far too generic (boring brawler type character) or too gimmicky (implementing power ups which gets complicated because that normally involve enemies). Then I realize, what's the point? His current depiction makes perfect sense to me. He's always been a zany, gross and random character.

Seriously all he's missing is the Shoulder Bash and everyone suddenly makes it seem that Sakurai hates Wario Land, when the truth is not even the original Wario team care for Wario Land anymore. I see it more as Sakurai being faithful to the creator's current vision of the character than him outright hating Wario Land.
It's telling how giving Wario the shoulder bash as a special and the butt stomp as a down air in Project M suddenly made it a perfect depiction of the character despite taking away another, arguably more important part of his character (the bike) away, and let's not forget how the rest of the moveset is the exact same as his Brawl moveset. (FSmash, FThrow and BAir aside) I'm starting to wonder if people think the shoulder bash is all there is to Wario, but eh. That's another topic.

EDIT: As for Ganondorf, I'll just say that I could see the reason why he doesn't want to change. When Melee came out, (human) Ganon was added as a clone just because he had a similar physique to Falcon and was a perfect candidate to pad out the roster. At that point the human form Ganon wasn't a reoccurring character and didn't have much to work for, so he wasn't THAT important, compared to Pig Ganon anyway. By the time Brawl came out, sure, he could have changed him completely, but when was the last time a character in Smash had a completely revamped moveset? Yeah, I don't know either. (No, a stance change and a few different moves doesn't make Bowser completely different.) Clear to me he doesn't wanna do that to any character in risk of leaving fans of the current moveset in the dust, and why should you do that?

The best solution? Add Pig Ganon, keep Falcondorf. :V

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I just want Hyrule Warriors Zangurak Demisedorf. Pig Ganon I would always take in a heartbeat. Even if you have to put in Yuga to do it.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I like it how you didn't address all of my points, ignoring the bulk of my argumentation, which makes me realize you're not worth my time arguing, so I'll just end it here.
And I how like you weren't even addressing me with all those "points". I thought you were talking to the guy you, well...actually quoted. But go ahead, back out if that's how you want to be. lol

And that art work looks more like Ganondorf is about to punch Link. At least for me.
And so what? That doesn't justify Ganondorf's moveset. That's like giving Little Mac nothing but kicking attacks because of a picture of him kicking a guy.

Plus, the other points I brought and you didn't even bother to counterpoint.
I skimmed your post, which I assumed wasn't even directed to me, and saw something I wanted to address. But too late now, since I'm a waste of your time.

Ganondorf didn't change from Brawl to 4 simply because he had no games released between those releases (besides remakes).
No offense, but...did he freaking need any? You say that as if there wasn't already a wellspring of moves from past games that could be put into Ganondorf, as if we needed to wait for a new game to come and be the savior for his moveset. Sorry, but that's just silly.

That seems to be the common denominator for characters that had significant changes from Brawl, such as Bowser being more inspired by the recent Mario games (Galaxy, 3D Land, ...),
You mean Mario games period. I don't seem to recall Bowser ever having scoliosis and owning roller blades in the main Mario games. About time Sakurai started being faithful to Bowser.

Anyway, I'm done with this.
Ok.

Bashing people with a big bag of coins comes to mind.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I'm disappointed Dry Bowser isn't in as a Brawl Bowser clone or playable Giga Bowser. Even though the match was basically going to be me losing I did main Bowser since Melee. Course I only came on Smashboards at the herald of Smash 4. And mainly because I saw a Golden Sun Isaac Support topic.

Strofirko

Smash Master
While I agree somehow with the falcondorf complains.
My gripe with people that has a gripe with wario moveset is that they are not fine with wario being the gross manager from warioware company,but they are fine with waluigi being a sportsman with anger issues.
Bashing people with a big bag of coins comes to mind.
And then Tingle on HW happened.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
All I can say it is a better criteria than entire companies did for their crossover games,not even salty and white knighting,just the real deal:
Compare this:

To this :

And this:

Worth mentioning that both games I am comparing had cancelled DLC characters for poor feeback on past DLC...
What makes smash bros roster special is rather the connectivity that the franchises and the gamers have with each other,something that was severely pointed out when the latter game was announced,the most "random" thing on smash 4 roster that I can point is this :4wiifit:,but compared to the other games where the roster is random itself it is nothing I say,the branchs are lost between the characters and the fans from their franchises.
On the end of the day the strong connections is what makes smash bros be one of the top games in the history of crossovers.
Sonic Racing Transfomed roster was so bad and we could've gotten Lara Croft if the let Superbot continue making DLC characters. Still a little bit upset about both these things.
For Ganondorf any of these movesets would be better. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NND2FZkPjHo

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like he makes it sound much more exciting than it actually is, his decisions probably boil down to gut feelings.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Honestly, I have a hard time designing a moveset for Wario that is strictly Wario Land-inspired. Either it ends up being far too generic (boring brawler type character) or too gimmicky (implementing power ups which gets complicated because that normally involve enemies). Then I realize, what's the point? His current depiction makes perfect sense to me. He's always been a zany, gross and random character.

Seriously all he's missing is the Shoulder Bash and everyone suddenly makes it seem that Sakurai hates Wario Land, when the truth is not even the original Wario team care for Wario Land anymore. I see it more as Sakurai being faithful to the creator's current vision of the character than him outright hating Wario Land.
It's telling how giving Wario the shoulder bash as a special and the butt stomp as a down air in Project M suddenly made it a perfect depiction of the character despite taking away another, arguably more important part of his character (the bike) away, and let's not forget how the rest of the moveset is the exact same as his Brawl moveset. (FSmash, FThrow and BAir aside) I'm starting to wonder if people think the shoulder bash is all there is to Wario, but eh. That's another topic.
The Shoulder Bash feels far more suited as a dash attack for Wario to me. Much like DK and his Roll Attack in Smash 4 which people also clamored for.

Make the Shoulder Bash his Dash Attack and keep the Bike as his side special, that way we can have both of his iconic things from Wario Land and Wario Ware respectively.

At least that's what I would do................................... :T

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I usually stay out of character discussions because so much comes down to preference, but...

Character presentation and attributes can change over time. Wario isn't primarily a platformer anymore and Samus isn't just a robotic bounty hunter; she has emotions and character. Whether people like these changes is totally subjective. For what it's worth, I think Wario should get his shoulder bash attack back in some way or another but otherwise find his Smash portrayal fine.

(I blame Gunpei Yokoi dying for the change in characterization in Wario and Samus. Zombie Gunpei pls)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
While I agree somehow with the falcondorf complains.
My gripe with people that has a gripe with wario moveset is that they are not fine with wario being the gross manager from warioware company,but they are fine with waluigi being a sportsman with anger issues.

And then Tingle on HW happened.
Seeing as Waluigi has only appeared in Spin-offs it wouldn't be :083: to think of him as a Sportsman with anger issues based on how he acts (chewing his racquet when he loses in Tennis and going as far as to cheating). However that's all on Nintendo for presenting him in such a way and not giving him a major role (DDR aside) where he acts differently.
That said Wario needs to be a better mix of Wario Land/World and Warioware.

Sakurai's criteria is whatever the hell he wants and backing up his (baffling/poor/silly) decisions with complete rubbish that he knows the mindless drones will lap up because Sakurai is god. He can do no wrong in their eyes.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Compare this:

To this :

And this:

Very small nitpick, but the cancelled DLC for PSASBR(Abe from Abe's Odyssey and Dart from Legend Of Dragoon, for the unaware) wasn't due to negative feedback(or at least, no news from that time suggested it. If I'm wrong please correct me); they just didn't want to. Abe was pulled for whatever reason. Dart had pretty much that community's equivalent of Ridley when it came to support(sans the negative stuff)...and wasn't added in the end.

That's it, really.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I love Wario Land and don't really care for WarioWare, but I think Wario should have a mix of both. Ignoring either series would be a waste of potential, which is why I think Sakurai and PM both dropped the ball. Personally, I'd make his trademark dash attack his...dash attack, change some of his throws to the ones from Wario World, and make his Dsmash a earthshaking groundpound that works like Charizard's, and is even more powerful when the unfortunate adversary is under Wario. That's all I'd need to be content.

Really, rather than Wario being represented incorrectly, I'm more irritated that the first ten years of the character's existence is basically ignored. To me, that's far worse than a few unfitting moves. No excuse for Ganondorf though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Wario's coin-shake from Shake It!! would be cool to see as a pummel, for whoever asked how his greed could be depicted in moveset form.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I like what Project M did. Coins pop up whenever Wario pummels.

It's really just a minor, aesthetic thing but it was cool.
The Shoulder Bash feels far more suited as a dash attack for Wario to me. Much like DK and his Roll Attack in Smash 4 which people also clamored for.

Make the Shoulder Bash his Dash Attack and keep the Bike as his side special, that way we can have both of his iconic things from Wario Land and Wario Ware respectively.

At least that's what I would do................................... :T
Actually what I'd is bring it back as an FSmash because the new one is terrible.

The shoulder bash as an FSmash in Brawl was a BIG part of his gameplan, so it was an important move. (I also think his current dash attack is charming so I don't want it gone :V )

Any other Wario Land move is hit-or-miss. The groundpound fist was from a one-off, outsourced game so I don't think it's necessary (anything to replace his current DSmash though), and god forbid we get another butt stomp. He already has a Wario World throw but I wish it had its KO power from Brawl.

Last edited:

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
It would have been unacceptable if Bowser was a DK clone, yet people make excuses for Ganondorf.

:4dk::4bowser:
:4mario::4wario2:
:4peach::rosalina:
:4kirby::4metaknight:
:4samus::4megaman:
:4falcon::4littlemac:
:4ness::4villager:

Imagine the outrage if any of these characters ended up clones. I can just see some people backpedaling and trying to justify it.

"But Bowser is just a big strong brute, it's totally in character for him to carry things easily and slap the ground!"

"Wario is just Bad Mario, how could you expect him to be anything but a clone?"

"Rosalina is just space Peach, so it makes sense for her to be the same."

"Why should Meta Knight use his own sword? He's perfectly capable of doing what Kirby does due to a similar shape."

"Mega Man is totally just a watered down Samus amirite?"

"So what if it's out of character for a boxer to do flying kicks? It's not like they could make a moveset from his own game."

"Why the hell is Villager doing PK Thunder? That isn't even Ness' move." "You dare question all-mighty Sakurai?"
But don't you get it those examples are completely different from Falcondorf because reasons

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just want a new Wario character to represent the Wario Land side... that's why I support Overalls Wario as a newcomer. He is just Wario's alt as a separate character but with his own unique moveset that makes him not a Wario clone (kinda like between Samus and Zero Suit Samus). Overalls Wario would have moves like setting himself on fire to run over opponents, inflating his head to float, freeze himself in a block of ice and slide across the stage, turning into a zombie and poison opponents, and turning into a vampire and steal HP.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I personally don't think Wario Land Wario would be worth its own character spot in the end, there's not much to work with when you look what Wario offers himself (not from the power-ups) that could make it's own completely different gameplay style.

I feel like if Sakurai were to consider changing one of Wario's moves to shoulder bash, then he would probably deny the idea only because it would not fit WarioWare Wario's personality. TBH, that version of Wario is probably the best version of Wario no other character currently in the cast can replicate that I rather not see altered.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Turning Wario into two characters because of one developer's refusal to include one or two trademark moves in his regular moveset is a bad course of action, one that validates his refusal to boot.

D

Deleted member

Okay, here's some of my views based on these points. I would have gone much longer on this and made more sense because I feel this is just my blathering on another BluePikmin thread, but right now, here's where I'm at:

*Golden Sun: If there is a Nintendo IP that is the epitomy of the "have nots" for Smash Bros., Golden Sun is at the top of a lot of people's lists. To me, the problem with the franchise is how perception becomes reality. Dark Dawn, which was released in 2010, had a good reaction and sold fairly well for second-tier IP standards for Nintendo, but because there were some negative responses towards certain parts of the game, the idea that this was a terrible game suddenly took over, and possibly broke the confidence level Camelot had towards the franchise and also Nintendo's focus on the series.

However, that doesn't mean they are abandoning them entirely, as it appears that Golden Sun is a mainstay in VC sales, meaning there is still interest in the franchise. But, right now, it doesn't look very good for the series. When fangames seem to take more interest in satisfying your basic requests while the commercial entity doesn't even bother giving you a consolation trophy on the portable version, it is disenheartening. In retrospect, if Isaac was formally announced as an AT during last year, it would have been a lot better than waiting... and waiting... and waiting... and discovering Golden Sun's only new contribution was an original track in Sakurai's Favorite Stage.

And it also is rather strange how they decide, in a time where resources and manpower was pushed to their limits, they removed an easy AT for some very complicated (and a few even more obscure) ATs, as even Dark Dawn's ills shouldn't have been that horrific. Yes, yes, "relevancy", but I'd rather throw the bone than decide "Nah, not gonna bother".

*Personal Bias: Sakurai has personal bias. But, so do we all. That's why there's a lot of Uprising crap in this game, why Palutena and Dark Pit are playable, and why Medusa is reduced to nominal status in spite of her having the criteria of being a "retro" character. And, yes, I know I've said I hated Uprising, and I still stand by that, but this was because I was so dissapointed and irritated at the game when I finally did play it and not any personal ill-will towards Sakurai himself.

I mean, I believe that there was some motivation in his decisions because he's in charge. I mean, some of us want to condemn him, but at the same time, he's still a human being.

*Is Sakurai Honest?: Sakurai isn't exactly honest with his opinions, and I always dubbed him "a cryptic man". But, in his quest to avoid infuriating people, he winds up infuriating them instead by refusing to explain his true motivations. For example, SSB4 doesn't have a true Adventure Mode because he hates the Internet. In reality, given how much time the games had to have had resources thrown at them, you couldn't really do a full SSE-type mode... although you could still do a basic Melee-type mode, IMO. He's also never going to mention who was not considered or who was abandoned for these same reasons.

*Relevancy > Demand: One thing I get irritated about is that SSB is about celebrating Nintendo's past, not the future, yet I always find people who argue otherwise. While it is easier from a promotional standpoint to use a character who appeared in a marketable game, that doesn't mean that it's the only criteria required that makes or breaks a character. I still think that Nintendo would be wise to consider one to three Demand > Relevancy characters, primarily because most video gamers have very good memories, and at the same time, they should treat with caution with releasing Inkling as a playable character, should they decide to go that route.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
On the Golden Sun bit if relevancy really was a key concept we would not have even got a new Golden Sun track if Sakurai viewed Golden Sun as not having a future. The lack of a GS Trophy is even more criminal I would think. Meanwhile Reginleiv got one. A Japan only game.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Sakurai said he made Dr. Mario, easily more of a clone than Ganondorf, from a simple skin into a clone because he didn't want to upset the fans of MELEE Dr. Mario. This logically serves as an explanation as to why Ganondorf is still what he is, using words straight from the man himself. I don't see any contradiction in this.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
On the Golden Sun bit if relevancy really was a key concept we would not have even got a new Golden Sun track if Sakurai viewed Golden Sun as not having a future. The lack of a GS Trophy is even more criminal I would think. Meanwhile Reginleiv got two. A Japan only game.
Fixed. Both Freiya and Froy appeared as trophies in Smash Wii U.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Not having a future and a GS track being added are two separate things entirely and each was added for different purposes. :p
Well it's a good thing that you can't call a franchise like Golden Sun a franchise without a future, which makes the content downgrade make even less sense.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Sakurai is not hesitant to do DLC because of his health contrary to popular belief. He is afraid the DLC will be viewed as withheld content that should have been in the base game. That's probably why he scrubbed the files and didn't reveal any cut characters (except for Ice Climbers,but he had no choice on that one)
Why did Sakurai not give Wario a Wario land inspired moveset? Warioware came out in between Melee and Brawl, and since it was popular, Sakurai decided to make a moveset based around that, with maybe one or two little nods to Wario land, however come Smash bros Wii U/3DS he took away Wario's signature move from the Wario Land series, the shoulder bash. The reason I think he did it was because of balancing issues, or maybe because Warioware was still popular.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Not having a future and a GS track being added are two separate things entirely and each was added for different purposes. :p
Doesn't really explain Isaac AT being cut or not even getting a consolation trophy to boot. But still getting a new music track. It's a funky decision. Not to mention each GS track is on a Metroid and a Kid Icarus(Sakurai Bias) stage. And the 2 franchises are sister franchises.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well it's a good thing that you can't call a franchise like Golden Sun a franchise without a future, which makes the content downgrade make even less sense.
You can't call any franchise without a future really, since there is that potential chance Nintendo will revive their own IPs.

Doesn't really explain Isaac AT being cut or not even getting a consolation trophy to boot. But still getting a new music track. It's a funky decision. Not to mention each GS track is on a Metroid and a Kid Icarus(Sakurai Bias) stage. And the 2 franchises are sister franchises.
My guess and only explanation really was that the team didn't really focus much on GS content for that game and it wasn't a priority to add more content for that franchise, getting the same content treatment as any other "second-tier" franchise.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
So what's the reasoning for Reginleiv Trophies? Or shall be move on further and question the point of the character in your avatar?

The lack of Custom Robo I can understand, but the treatment of Golden Sun is mildly irritating.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Probably some of the trophies added in the game were characters who first appeared in a game from Brawl to Smash 4. That's probably where most of the research for trophies are done. Similarly, it was done that same for Ray MK, Kuru Kuurin, and Jill Dozer in Brawl. For Sable and Takamaru, I can only guess that Sakurai went further into adding more older (or retro) characters to show to people like he stated in one interview. Different types of researches are probably done when it comes to content.

Sakurai seems to treat the GS series as any other "second tier" franchise like Chibi Robo, Starfy, and Advance Wars. Giving these kinds of franchises more content seems to be a very low priority for him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom