• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Is One Thing You Absolutely Love About Smash 4?

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
The soundtrack is just amazing. The fact that there are so many tracks from so many games, and you can select which ones you want to play more often.

and the fact that they put the Koopalings in the game..... to me, that is really important because they are my favorite nintendo characters of all time. Enough to where I buy a lot of Koopaling merchandise. A Ludwig coffee mug, Koopaling t-shirts, the fact that Nintendo is featuring them in more games, the fact that they're in Mario Kart 8 and Mario Paper Jam, that they're finally getting a personality and character development. I think whoever made the decision that they are alternate skins of Bowser Jr. is such an amazing thing. If they did the same thing in Super Mario Maker and made them alternate skins of Junior, I would be so overjoyed. I love the idea of Bowser being a single father, and raising a clan of children that are absolutely spoiled rotten.

Last edited:

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
Not sure if I can narrow it down to just one, so I'll give a few:

I really like the overall feel of the game. It's not very specific, but it feels more fluid and tactile than any of the previous Smash games.

I love the spike-bouncing, as opposed to just popping characters off the ground in previous games. I also really like the new ledge mechanics, because ledge-hogging is a garbage mechanic. Though I do feel like current ledge mechanics need a bit of tuning with ledge trump ejection angles and cooldown, they're far better overall.

Duke27

Centurion
NNID
DukeCrimson27
3DS FC
3368-2844-0762
The roster is just amazing. Lots of great characters from all sorts of games.

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
The characters
The DLC characters
The salt towards the DLC characters

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Even though there are a LOT of things about Smash 4 that I very much dislike, there are a few things I like, too. When it comes to the one thing that I absolutely love about Smash 4 though, then I got to agree with Feelicks and say it's the artstyle.

At first I wasn't very happy about the new art direction they took, as I originally wanted them to stick to the realistic style. After playing the game though, I've got to say that this is by far one of the most visually impressive games I've played on the Wii U. The colors, special effects, and more just look so good. It's a shame I quit playing this game, as playing PM in 1080p is good and all, but really just doesn't compare.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
The fact that :4megaman: made his debut in Smash, because it's something I've always wanted to see.

I could also say Smash Run, it has all the makings of a great gametype but I feel as if it's a bit limited as of right now.

The characters
The DLC characters
The salt towards the DLC characters
Can I get some popcorn with that salt?:troll:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
The artstyle is beautiful. I'm so glad they changed it, because I much prefer the fluid, cartoony style to Brawl's "realistic" eyesore.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I thought the Brawl roster was perfect and then that had to go and smash my expectations completely. This is one of the most diverse and imaginative rosters I have seen in a cross-over game to date which balances itself off. Even Lucina and Dark Pit who, for all intents an purposes, are clones are still rather fun and interesting additions. I was pretty sad that characters I supported such as Blaziken, Dixie Kong, Yuuri, Ridley, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, Wolf, Isaac, Saki, Terra Bradford, and others never made it in but the additions of Shulk, Greninja, Mega Man, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta made everything better.

The trophies were all amazing as well the soundtrack.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Can't decide on one, so I'll just list a few things that have most likely been said already.

The large character roster. Everyone is diverse with their own unique differences and play styles.

The visuals in general. This game is so vibrant and colorful and everything looks and flows smoothly: characters, stage backgrounds, even the menus.

Multiplayer is an absolute blast. Getting a friend for a 1-on-1 or group together for an all-out 8-player Smash fest is a joy to be in.

The gameplay. I love the way how everything feels. Movement is fluid and spot-on and landing hits on opponents feels good.

I flipping love this game's soundtrack. There's so many music tracks with many different genres, and I've even discovered a few games from them that I haven't heard of, such as Baten Kaitos.

:4mario::4megaman::4pacman::4sonic::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:The fact that all these people are in the same game. This is something that just doesn't happen.
But it happened.

Racer07

Smash Cadet
NNID
MisterSeven
3DS FC
3797-7378-1855
The cast of characters, the music, the option to change stages, Smash Run, customizing Miis (best with the costumes) and Characters.

abx

Smash Journeyman
I love the Smash Run mode. It's the best single player mode Smash Bros. ever has dished out.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
There's far to much to love about Smash 4. The enormous amount of music, the art direction, the egregious amount of characters, the all around fun time I have with it. By far my most favorite thing though, is the balance. Say what you will about Sm4sh vs any other, there's always 1 character or a few characters that totally dominate the other smash metagames. With Sm4sh though, so many characters are viable and pretty much every character is at least playable on some level. The amount of time that went into balancing before and after the game's release makes me happy to have started playing competitively with Sm4sh.

marteen_

Smash Cadet
NNID
martinthelee
The game feels the best to me. Brawl and Melee/PM just don't feel very natural to me. Sm4sh is the perfect middle ground.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
How possible offstage/understage fights are, being off the edge means ur screwed in melee but even with a character like ganon dorf offstage battles are very doable

Racer07

Smash Cadet
NNID
MisterSeven
3DS FC
3797-7378-1855
How possible offstage/understage fights are, being off the edge means ur screwed in melee but even with a character like ganon dorf offstage battles are very doable
Yeah, and the new ledge mechanic is good too. That means we won't have the Melee style of Edgehogging.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I love how this game is just on a much grander scale then any of the previous installments combined. The fact they skipped out on a campaign mode, it turned out to benefit the team to focus on what actually makes Smash the spectacle that it is. That being the multiplayer modes, stages, characters, music, and the newly added DLC as a whole. We even got the 8 player Smash mode which took a good number of us by surprise. There's no telling what they have in store for a Smash NX. But we can only hope they continue to make this franchise better.

Harmonious

Smash Cadet
Loads of things including: The roster, music, graphics, smoothness, balance, and DLC allowing in more characters. However, one things stands above the rest: the sheer amount of 'tricks' the game has. Granted these were in every smash game, but with more characters comes more tricks! Ex:
:4corrin::4corrinf: - Instant Side-B (or Insta-Impale)
:4diddy: - Everything about Bananas (even though it's really freaking annoying), also jump cancelling (for all characters)
:4fox: - Jab Locking
:4kirby: - F-Throw to Fair to F-throw to fair til off-stage
:4link:/:4tlink: - Bomb to grab, Grab to bomb, Bomb to fair, bombs in general
:4peach: - Float Cancelling
:4robinm::4robinf: - Arcthunder in general, arcfire chaining
:rosalina: - Pretty much everything you can do when Luma's separated
:4ryu: - Button Inputs
:4shulk: - Monado Cancelling
:4wario: - Running off edge, using side-B to get bike on ledge instantly
(Yes, I know I missed a lot)

And all the other cool stuff like Autocancelling, B-Reversing, Jump Cancelling. It just makes it feel like there's so much more to the game than what's noticeable at first glance.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Omega form stages. Absolutely love the fact that you can enjoy each stage without dealing with stage hazards. The downside to this is that it makes Brawl borderline unplayable.

Last edited:

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
The colors in this game are so amazingly vibrant and beautiful. They really took a step up from the "realistic" kind of approach that it seemed Brawl was going for at the time. Smash 4 just feels so bright and I absolutely love it, everything just pops. @Feelicks pretty much touched on all the major points I had in mind while going in here haha.

Another thing is the way they pay tribute to the history of each character, even the ones that don't belong to Nintendo. The moves of each character have a purpose to be there, be it because of their fighting style or something that character has done in the past. Bayonetta's witch time and the way her final smash works, the sound of Ryu's perfect shield being straight from Street Fighter, the sound of Villager shrugging when he has nothing to grab..I mean, these aren't things specific to Smash 4 so I'm kind of cheating, but I still love it all.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Omega form stages. Absolutely love the fact that you can enjoy each stage without dealing with stage hazards. The downside to this is that it makes Brawl borderline unplayable.
The only real downside is that you can't just play the stage without hazards unless either the stage had no hazards to begin with or you play Omega Mode...

Appe3

Smash Cadet
The competitive scene. Especially where I live because the tournaments are monthly and no one really dominates

Top Bottom